Sets (LTR) The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth

What are the odds of me opening The One Ring (I plan to open 0 packs).
confused-math.gif

“The Ring was trying to get back to its master. It had slipped from Isildur's hand and betrayed him; then when a chance came it caught poor Déagol, and he was murdered; and after that Gollum, and it had devoured him. It could make no further use of him: he was too small and mean; and as long as it stayed with him he would never leave his deep pool again. So now, when its master was awake once more and sending out his dark thought from Mirkwood, it abandoned Gollum. Only to be picked up by the most unlikely person imaginable: Jason of Riptide Lab!”

if it serves a narrative purpose, you are guaranteed to open The One Ring.

What are the chances are that The One Ring is opened by a casual player who has no idea as to its value? Or is sat indefinitely in an unopened booster box?

Conversely, if someone goes on social media within the first few days of the set being released to show off the One Ring, will that tank the price of unopened product?

What are the chances are that The One Ring is opened by a casual player who has no idea as to its value? Or is sat indefinitely in an unopened booster box?

Conversely, if someone goes on social media within the first few days of the set being released to show off the One Ring, will that tank the price of unopened product?
Wizards can plan this for a large part.

landofMordor

Administrator
Ok so not only is the One of One Ring scammy, but it’s also a bummer that I’m now locked in to purchasing every card that references Mordor. Why did they do this to me?!?!?!

I think the chances of it being opened by a super casual player are fairly low since the 1/1 ring will only be in collector boosters which tend not to be purchased by people who know little about the game. Additionally, I think if you see a card written in Elvish with a big "001/001" on it, you're probably going to at least Google what is going on.

I do think there's a chance that it sits indefinitely in an unopened booster box. The 1/1 ring is probably being sent out in the first print run of the set, which limits the number of packs it could be in. I don't know when the "investors" who like to sit on sealed products start hoarding their sealed boxes, but I think unless there's an effort to keep sealed first print run LOTR Collector boxes off of shelves by this crowd, they won't necessarily be a huge factor. My guess is it will be opened at some point within the next year.

Hmm. I am glad that I am out for a long time.
Artificial scarcity has never been anything I like. As is paying for a brand name for bragging rights.

The problem is that a game is mixed with fancy smancy fake scarcity value.

Hmm. I am glad that I am out for a long time.
Artificial scarcity has never been anything I like. As is paying for a brand name for bragging rights.

The problem is that a game is mixed with fancy smancy fake scarcity value.
Luckily the normal versions of the One Ring will be available literally everywhere because it's going to be the bundle promo in addition to being found in both regular booster packs and collector boosters.

Honestly, it's nice that the scarcity in Magic is shifting from just "the cards in general" (see: enemy fetchlands from 2010 to 2021) to the "special treatments" of card (see: the $78 textured foil version of Liliana, the Last Hope and the $5 normal nonfoil first print from Eldritch Moon). I'd take 1000 1/1 rings if it means Fetches can stay under $20.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't mind the 001/001 one ring at all. There are plenty of one rings available, there's just this one fancy version that is ultra rare. Now what that shouldn't do is drive up the price of collector's boosters, because it's almost literally a one in a million chance to pull it. Yet here we are, a March of the Machines Collector Booster Box starts at €218, but a Lord of the Rings Collector Booster Box starts at €353. Now that's some bullshit!

Luckily the normal versions of the One Ring will be available literally everywhere because it's going to be the bundle promo in addition to being found in both regular booster packs and collector boosters.

Honestly, it's nice that the scarcity in Magic is shifting from just "the cards in general" (see: enemy fetchlands from 2010 to 2021) to the "special treatments" of card (see: the $78 textured foil version of Liliana, the Last Hope and the $5 normal nonfoil first print from Eldritch Moon). I'd take 1000 1/1 rings if it means Fetches can stay under $20.
The problem is that the scarcity has been mixed with pay to play.
Note that I remember the oddessey block. In that block it was dirt cheap to have a standard tier 1 deck, some would say that was madness. But in reality, it is madness that these days it has become play to pay.