General (M30) M30 Previews / Spoilers

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The full spoiler is up at https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/30th-anniversary-edition.

A couple cards caught my eye.

1664911915546.png

Wow, what a beast this card is. Even with opposing blockers, Force of Nature can close out the game in three swings. I noticed there's also some natural synergy with the spoiled Llanowar Elves. Your elves can do early damage while the board is empty, and then tap to cast an earlier Force of Nature. Enough early Elf damage and Force of Nature can kill in two swings.

Given the pack prices and rarity structure, I would expect this to sell on the secondary market for around $3000.

1664912138675.png

This is a strange card. The mana it gives you is temporary, so it only takes like four turns until a Swamp is generating more total mana. And if you're looking for temporary mana, I noticed there's a card in this set that does it strictly better than Dark Ritual.

Any cards piquing your interest?

1664912537795.png

Am I the only one in this forum who's actually played organized card flipping before?

Like half of the comments I've seen on this forum are so obviously written by non-athletes that it's almost humorous.
When I was in high school (3 year starter for our varsity card flipping team) I would get a full-on sprint going and clock the shit outta whoever had the card. My coaches called me "speedhawk" as a nickname caus I had such a nose for flipping cards and for those three seasons I was considered the most feared flipper in our conference. Senior year I led my team to the state semifinals only to get fucked over by the refs in the 4th but that's another conversation (DM me if you're interested in hearing about it)
So, yeah. I hope yall can understand why I feel like their's such a big disconnect between myself and your typical cube designer. Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way lol

View attachment 7516
By my calculation there are maybe eight or so other good cards in this set, but history will show this card to be the best of them.

I don't know really, it's 3 mana sorcery speed and it doesn't affect the board at all. I think it will prove too clunky ultimately. Especially with this new mechanic, that is seemingly busted, aggro decks will probably rather deploy threats like this:

Any cards piquing your interest?
I cant believe you didn't mention this card:
en_KVZHpMpzOB.png

It can both attack AND block in the same turn cycle! Absolutely broken!

Nice synergy piece for a cogs deck, I expect people who run Emry might want this. Not so good with Cranial Plating, and obviously the power level isn't great as it puts you a card behind.

What an elegant Kytheon, I love it! This set is really delivering on white aggro.

Why, so you can open blind bags at $999 a pop hoping for that piece of paper with the picture you want! If you buy dirty filthy proxies you actually just get the thing you wanted to buy, with none of the extra bonus pieces of paper with pictures that you didn't want.

On a serious note, missed opportunity to have the tokens take cues from Unglued. Or the old punch sheet ones from fallen empires, that would have been cool too, if less desirable. Glad the product exists in some form at least even if the execution is lacking in a few ways.

I think there's some really neat designs here.

I especially like the art on the basics -- just excellent representations of the five land types. You really could use them as a template for all future sets.

Might have to pass on this though, I'm pretty sure I'd spend $999 and get these as my rares:

en_j5ymxza4ZW.pngen_jljkoaEcw2.pngen_NQgMbcV2hm.pngen_WcdWg7kcy7.png

Holy smokes, Farmsteed is baaaad. How could our lord and savior Richard Garfield Phd. not realise how incredibly far from playable it was? Even when you overvalue lifegain, what new, inexperienced players tend to do (and in some way, Garfield was an inexperienced player when he had just developed MtG), you still habe to realise that 5 colored mana before your first lifepoint can't be worth a card? Seven mana to gain 2 life, nine mana for 3, the rate is not getting better.

I knew most of betas bad cards. The laces at keast were unique enough that they probably were hard to rate for him. But farmsteed? I didn't know that one. Lol.

I think the thought was that you can't ever remove it, because it's an enchant land, so it's so safe that you have to make it bad because otherwise it's just miserable to play against?

that's probably giving him too much credit, but he is a smart guy at least

I knew most of betas bad cards. The laces at keast were unique enough that they probably were hard to rate for him. But farmsteed? I didn't know that one. Lol.

I got briefly very excited when I discovered Farmstead about a week ago.
I wanted something cool for a white module to add to my Ana cube. I thought I knew all of the triple-pipped spells in Magic, and alas, White gets shafted with boring stuff like Master Apothecary, Benalish Marshal and Linden, Steadfast Queen. Despairing, I took to Scryfall to see if there was some unique effect, something I had never seen before. Hope hit me with a wave as I saw Farmstead.

What a cruel joke Garfield played on me that day.

I think there's some really neat designs here.

I especially like the art on the basics -- just excellent representations of the five land types. You really could use them as a template for all future sets.

Might have to pass on this though, I'm pretty sure I'd spend $999 and get these as my rares:

View attachment 7521View attachment 7522View attachment 7523View attachment 7524
Those M30 cards just look horrendous to me art wise. They look like bad custom Magic cards.

picture that is a perfect example of why art direction works best as a contained unit. That flaming sol ring art was commissioned with an old artifact border in mind (and not fckin cropped). The crop misses the fact that the literal sun is pictured in the original art.

Was the crop part of their mental gymnastics to say it's not a reserve list reprint?