General Mana Base Brainstorm Thread

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
With spoilers for BOZ winding up, and it becoming increasingly suggestive that this will probably not be a very exciting set for cube (prove me wrong WOTC...prove me wrong), I thought I would take this moment to brainstorm ideas about the new tango lands from the set (tango being more positive than slow)--lands that currently fit into no ones exisiting cube, and which we only have half of at this time (but they are coming!).

However the show must go on, and I need something to read tomorrow morning during my commute.

First, lets welcome our new overlords:

6f43ebfa15141873fe6ac3397029f3ea.jpg

That type is a bit small, but in sum, they are dual lands each with two basic mana types, that only ETB untapped if you control two or more basics.

In the normal fetch/shock makeup (or my bouncelands makeup) these fill no purpose and shouldn't be run (unless you are singleton and either lack ABU duals or have a larger cube).

The main appeal of them is the potential sequencing puzzle that they represent, which (in order to facilitate) means cutting shocks and/or ABU duals and building a cube up from the roots with this sequencing puzzle in mind.

The main benefit of this (in theory) is that it rather easily achieves the mana sequencing puzzle that we try to achieve with the current setup.

With a legacy-lite mana base, much of the sequencing tension is supposed to derive from cards like wasteland and (the largely absent from most lists) stifle. This means that most of the sequencing pressure must come from an outside source--the wastelands--, of which only 1-4 ever exist in most cubes. This pressure has the danger of becoming more psychological in nature, compared with actual legacy, and a danger exists for players to take such a powerful mana base and bend it to their own (good stuff) ends, depending on the number of wastelands and the credibility they attribute to the fear of wasteland.

Tango lands avoid these problems by bringing several highly desirable characteristics:

1. Having two basic land types means they can form metagame relationships with cards that care about land types, most significantly fetchlands.
2. They bring their own sequencing puzzle rather than depending on the pressure created by outside sources. A sequencing puzzle that is represented both by the tango lands themselves, and the fetchlands that can grab them, artificially increasing the density of the metagame relationship we are shooting for.

This puzzle mainly comes from how you run out your basics, your non-basics, and when you use your fetchlands. Not only does this make early game mana sequencing independently critical, but it requires players to take a somewhat longer view of how they want to see their mana develop in the early and late game, as well as how they think their mana will likely develop.

Now, its worth noting that you don't have to cut your wastelands/ghost quarters/tectonic edges or stifles: they play right along in this play pattern, but compliment it in a way that takes some of the weight off of them. You also have more freedom to open up certain slots, while not having to worry about overly diluting that sequencing puzzle. However, it could be possible that running some number of wasteland (or the full number) is actually the ideal compliment, as wasteland can function as a tool to help induce early game mana use.

Obviously, if you are trying to use land destruction to condense the format towards spell velocity and 1-3 drops, you will still want your wastelands and constricted curve, regardless.

The main counter argument I see is that "they are going to be bad for aggro." I think this is a somewhat short sighted perspective, as it assumes nothing else in the cube is going to change. We've presumably already tossed out our shocks in the name of this thought experiment, so further structural adjustments should come as no surprise.

Quite simply, we've already seen this relationship before in the original ravinca and KTK: powerful multi-color decks who get their fixing at the price of slower development, and streamlined 2 color aggro decks that seize upon that weakness. The tango lands represent a potentially up-powered take on this formula, smoothing out the existing, wasteland based, metagame relationship, while adding a second (broader) metagame relationship based around early game pressure.

This is going to take some more nuanced design, but aggro decks stand to benefit from the presence of tango lands in a format, simply because a slower multi-color deck should occasionally get awkward hands that require sub-optimal sequencing, or they will have to opt for sub-optimal sequencing in order to answer the aggro player's board presence. At worst, a two color aggro deck can get on fine with a few pilfered fetch or tango land. At best they can dip deeper into the tango land supply, and compensate for the untapped nature of some of the lands by running a lower curve. Due to the limited density of these lands likely to be run, its a calculated risk perhaps worth taking.

At any rate, I think you would want to have some very well developed aggro and tempo decks, as you will want to make early game mana use and development critical to the format.

Given the power level of these cards and how reasonable their condition is, they seem ideal for creating structure in some sort of cube.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest problem (for me) is how they go directly against the Utility Land Draft. I don't think the two should be run together.

My meta seems especially well suited for slower lands for a variety of reasons. First, it is heavily midrange. Secondly, it is engineered to play more like a 2005 cube than a 2015 cube - many of the types of cards which provide a snowball CA effect on the game introduced with the NWO (Titans, walkers, etc) are largely absent from my list. Thirdly, we run a lot of multi-player, where ETB tapped anything has less of a drawback due to the durdly nature of multi-player games in general. Long story short, I'm not sure I even need to re-engineer anything to run these new lands with minimal impacts to how my meta will play.

Once the enemy manland cycle completes, I will be running 6 full fixing cycles at essentially 450. Right now, that will look like this:
1. One set of fetch lands (10)
2. Two sets of Shocks (20)
3. Full set of temples (10)
4. Full set of manlands (10)
5. Mix of pains/filters to round out the last set (10)

So by my count, that is 4 sets of lands that can immediately tap for mana (to be fair, filters have an asterisk since they are garbage T1- but I only run 3 of them) and only two sets that ETB tapped. The problem though is that all the dual lands which can be used right away have a life loss drawback attached to them. That, in and of itself, has influenced how highly incidental life gain is selected and how much I run in my cube (virtually every control deck features cards that gain life almost out of necessity now - you can't eat 5 damage from lands and not replace that life at some point in the game against most decks without dying before you can execute your end game. This is especially true if you are trying to win game with Kamigawa Dragons as finishers instead of more potent options that are available today).

I'm contemplating swapping one set of shocks for these new tango lands. Obviously, it potentially slows decks down (even more) because it takes away the option of paying life to get access to that mana now. And while that could hurt what little aggro presence my cube has, it may also help reward the few who go in that direction. Right now, as a midrange/control player you typically have the option of paying life to get mana right away. In many cases, this helps you better respond to aggressive starts against you. But if a shock is replaced by a tango land, suddenly you can't as easily react to pressure against you.

On the other side of the coin, as a general rule, weakening fixing has a negative effect on game quality. And Tango lands have less play to them than shocks because they do not have that extra option of paying life to use them immediately. So I'm honestly not sure this would end up a net positive in the end. But I'm open to the idea and will likely contemplate it while we wait for the cycle to finish.

I'm liking this new perspective of cube meta game. It's possibly something that's been discussed prior but I haven't seen it summed up into a single word.

We've talked a bit on how land bases influence the compositor of the cube and I think this idea is worth thinking more about.

Is there room to introduce an environment where hand disruption is part of the meta? You mentioned some options that didn't fit into the other cube styles. If there is a very purposeful distinctionb between powerful multicolor and stream lined mono color does that open up any space for otherwise suboptimal cards?

I think the 2 life cost doesn't matter when you can just plow out tusks and titans and really good gold cards without consequence.

Khans was a good limited format so emulating it sounds good to me.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Funny you mention kahns, I've talked with people about including a "Morph Theme" in their cube, and (To follow FSR's advice) you do really have to start building a cube from the ground up with the conceit that morph will be a big part of it. Even just playing the "Good" Morphs like Bane of the Living or Exalted Angel, at some point you need to sit down and think about what it means to have a limited format where the most common turn 3 play will be gray ogre.

And these lands fit really REALLY well into that.
A lot of Kahns was intentionally constructed to slow the format down: ETB Tapped duals at common and uncommon, baked in lifegain in places, high mana cost removal spells (Shock costs 2, Basic Removal costs 5, etc), the location of card power leading people towards the more inconsistent 5-6-5 manabase, rather than the more common 2 colors and a splash (3-7-7).

These would allow you to construct a format where those tenants are still true, but mitigating the downside of drawing your lands in the wrong order (In a format all about 3 and 4 drops, going Basic, Basic, Tapland, Tapland, Tapland can really put you behind, whereas in a different order that can have little to no effect on your sequencing)

What would this land bade look like hypothetically? I'm liking the sound of double fetch double tango, maybe scrylands and checklands? (Checklands are also slower in heavy multicolor and has a land type sequencing element to them)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
What would this land bade look like hypothetically? I'm liking the sound of double fetch double tango, maybe scrylands and checklands? (Checklands are also slower in heavy multicolor and has a land type sequencing element to them)

Assuming the idea isn't for 100% of the lands to be Tangos, (which I'd be okay with), I'd recommend the scrylands over anything that is likely to ETB untapped. Checklands make these look bad, and start the fixing off a full turn earlier, while nerfing the effectiveness of tangos.

Also, the scry will matter more in the slower format Tangos are likely going to create

Funny you mention kahns, I've talked with people about including a "Morph Theme" in their cube, and (To follow FSR's advice) you do really have to start building a cube from the ground up with the conceit that morph will be a big part of it. Even just playing the "Good" Morphs like Bane of the Living or Exalted Angel, at some point you need to sit down and think about what it means to have a limited format where the most common turn 3 play will be gray ogre.

And these lands fit really REALLY well into that.
A lot of Kahns was intentionally constructed to slow the format down: ETB Tapped duals at common and uncommon, baked in lifegain in places, high mana cost removal spells (Shock costs 2, Basic Removal costs 5, etc), the location of card power leading people towards the more inconsistent 5-6-5 manabase, rather than the more common 2 colors and a splash (3-7-7).

These would allow you to construct a format where those tenants are still true, but mitigating the downside of drawing your lands in the wrong order (In a format all about 3 and 4 drops, going Basic, Basic, Tapland, Tapland, Tapland can really put you behind, whereas in a different order that can have little to no effect on your sequencing)

This is what I've trying to do with my cube but haven't got the updated version to the table yet. I'm running tri lands, scrylands and bouncelands, plus some generic gold lands as a bone to the more aggro decks. With the full cycle of man lands I could get behind this.

Part of the issues with morph is that unless you want a full on heavy morph cube then there aren't enough morphs to go round and I'm not sure they're all things you want to break singleton on. Then you have to design aggro accordingly, whilst trying to forget all your old design principles, but keeping the ones that matter to you. It's hard.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
This is what I've trying to do with my cube but haven't got the updated version to the table yet. I'm running tri lands, scrylands and bouncelands, plus some generic gold lands as a bone to the more aggro decks. With the full cycle of man lands I could get behind this.

Part of the issues with morph is that unless you want a full on heavy morph cube then there aren't enough morphs to go round and I'm not sure they're all things you want to break singleton on. Then you have to design aggro accordingly, whilst trying to forget all your old design principles, but keeping the ones that matter to you. It's hard.

There aren't enough morphs to go around because you're designing from a mindset where Abzan Guide isn't good. That's where you start.
It's real hard.

There aren't enough morphs to go around because you're designing from a mindset where Abzan Guide isn't good. That's where you start.
It's real hard.

Exactly this. That's why morph is a failure in 99% of cubes. It's not a mechanic you can play along side high powered cards, so you really have to commit to a completely different cube list if you want it to work.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Is there room to introduce an environment where hand disruption is part of the meta? You mentioned some options that didn't fit into the other cube styles. If there is a very purposeful distinctionb between powerful multicolor and stream lined mono color does that open up any space for otherwise suboptimal cards?

I think its more an issue of slowing a meta down enough where taking a turn off to cast a four mana sorcery that dosen't impact the board won't feel horrible. Tap lands in general work pretty well there, otherwise you end up in a spot where there are only three discard spells you can reasonably run: thoughtseize, inquisition, and cabal therepy. I don't actually like thoughtseize very much, because its effectiveness is built on its ability to produce negative variance.

On the bright side, there are the two lilianas and kolaghan's command. Wrench mind is still a beating, and I think the {B}{B} might balance it out? I also love entomber exarch, but not sure you guys can run him, and also unmask because the art and flavor is just so satisfying. I think somebody said it sucks to play against or with in the other thread though.

Even if you can't slow down to persecute levels of goodness, maybe you can get to the point where you can run specters?

As for the setup, I was originally thinking x2 fetch, x2 tango lands, but this idea of running them alongside other tap lands to facilitate a higher powered, but slightly slower environment is interesting. What kind of metagame relationships do you envision this facilitating?

I also favor the idea of running some number of scry lands in that instance.

I had no idea how this would work as the foundation for a morph cube, though I could see this being part of that puzzle. Everytime I see someone post about a morph cube I feel bad for the guy, because thats unknown territory, and a crazy amount of work to figure out. I'm honestly not even sure I understand fully how khan's worked as a morph format, and I really have to give credit to WOTC for figuring that out.

Thats probably more in line for those guys at the balduvian trading post; if only they would just get off their stupid fractured cube ideas.

Is the idea with the discard to let proactive decks punish slower decks not keeping up with the amounts of spells played each turn? (Due to higher mana costs and tapped lands constricting spell velocity?)

Also, what about running double fetch, double tango, scrylands and the full 10 manlands? Manlands work pretty well in letting slower decks get access to powerful cards at a cost yeah? If we're running powerful land destruction you also get a dynamic between popping your land disruption on your opponents early turns or against a potential win con.

Wrench mind sounds cool, especially since double black works to make for more focused decks.

edit: less broken sentences.

Morph is a fascinating mechanic and KTK Limited was some of the most fun I've had drafting a set in quite a while. It really is one that requires an environment built around it to support it. You need to really reconsider the set-up of your removal, fixing and curve if you want it to be a thing. Looking at the KTK set as a whole would be a good way to review and see what you actually want to happen. The benchmarks for that set included no morphs that could destroy your morphs one-on-one until I think a T5 flip (someone please correct if wrong), removal that actually made playing vanilla 2/2s for 3 on T3 and T4 NOT punishing, and nothing especially dominant in the late game that couldn't be handled by a big morph flip.

I think to start with mana-bases there, you'd need to avoid any ETB untapped duals, which would include these new tango-lands. The cost of playing good fixing in that format was that you'd need to wait a turn before gaining access to it. I think you could reasonably run a cycle of 1x each of Fetches/Refuges/Scrylands/Tri-lands to enable good enough fixing if you wanted to make morph a theme. I might try and implement this over the next couple of months, I've had the idea of a lower-powered cube for a while but I've never actually gotten around to it.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Is the idea with discard to let the proactive decks punish slower decks for trying not being able to keep up with playing the same amount of spells ever turn? (Due to higher mana costs and tapped lands?)

Also, what about running double fetch, double tango, scrylands and the full 10 manlands? Manlands work pretty well in letting slower decks get access to powerful cards at a cost yeah? If we're running powerful land destruction you also get a dynamic between popping your land disruption on your opponents early turns or against a potential win con.

Wrench mind sounds cool, especially since double black works to make for more focused decks.

More or less with the discard, except not really the proactive/reactive divide. Reactive decks can it because it plays into an attritiony, card advantage focused gameplan, while proactive decks can run it for the disruption.

I gave it some more thought, and I think alot of the problems i've had with targeted discard is similar to the problem i've had with a lot of one mana mana dorks: because you want them as a turn 1 play, you have to devote a too large density of slots. Except their are a lot less good cheap targeted discard spells than their are cheap mana dorks.

It also occured to me that the sligtly slower format might make some light main deck ld elements more playable?

I think thats a fine distribution of lands: it really depends on what you are looking for. I don't like running a ULD so I like to have 40 fixing lands and 10 utility land slots. Going up to 60 lands seems fine though, and I really like the idea of running the full set of manlands (which largely obsolete the need for a uld for me). I really like the scry lands though, as they seem really good for a format.

The important question, I think, is what meta relationships you want your lands to support. Its a bit easy with bouncelands, because they synergize well with so many other cards. Traditionally, the anwear to this question was wasteland, stifle, and brainstorm, but surely there are more.

I think to start with mana-bases there, you'd need to avoid any ETB untapped duals, which would include these new tango-lands. The cost of playing good fixing in that format was that you'd need to wait a turn before gaining access to it. I think you could reasonably run a cycle of 1x each of Fetches/Refuges/Scrylands/Tri-lands to enable good enough fixing if you wanted to make morph a theme. I might try and implement this over the next couple of months, I've had the idea of a lower-powered cube for a while but I've never actually gotten around to it.

Do you think tango lands and a morph cube is fundamentally unfit for each other?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
My instinct with any lower power environ is to start with bouncelands.

That being said, anytime I draw inspiration from a current or past format, i've found there to be tremendous limitations in following it too strictly: cube is its own unique beast at the end of the day. Ktk had a lot of very specilized cards built to maintain relationships, and that really screams a potential density issues. I also expect even lower powered cube environs to be drawn to more powerful, but conditonal removal.

It would probably work fine, but I feel like it would make it a little easy to hit your morph flips on curve each time. Some of the most fun tension from KTK Limited imo was looking for that third land to flip your tri-color morph. On the flipside, it was equally as miserable when you'd miss it for 2-3 turns. Seems too easy to me if you can potentially just fetch up the right dual land to enable your flips with no issues. I'd personally do either tangos or fetches, not both. I just feel like for morphs, especially those with multicolor flips, there needs to be some fixing tension. You lose a lot of that with duals that you can access easily that can come in untapped from your deck.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
You have to be careful though with direct ports: there are only something like six multi-color flip morph total, and four tri-color flip morphs: those morphs will be a sub component of a broader multi-color package (perhaps gleaming some of the sun burst cards from the new set?).

It would probably work fine, but I feel like it would make it a little easy to hit your morph flips on curve each time. Some of the most fun tension from KTK Limited imo was looking for that third land to flip your tri-color morph. On the flipside, it was equally as miserable when you'd miss it for 2-3 turns. Seems too easy to me if you can potentially just fetch up the right dual land to enable your flips with no issues. I'd personally do either tangos or fetches, not both. I just feel like for morphs, especially those with multicolor flips, there needs to be some fixing tension. You lose a lot of that with duals that you can access easily that can come in untapped from your deck.

I'm not sure this is true for a morph cube as there isn't (won't?) be the same density of three colour morphs.

Also, there are probably two main types of morph cube - the cube that picks the most powerful/fun morphs and tries to fit them into a lower powered cube and a heavily morph cube that is significantly lower powered and designed specifically around the three mana grey ogre.

I think there are principles taken from khans which might also apply: aggro decks with lower power early drops which reward attacking and things to do in the early turns that buy a defensive position or fix your draws. These are supported by the high number of come into play tapped lands. This is probably where we want to be considering our design about manabases. Having a high number of cip tapped lands mean the early turns are stunted but you still want players to be able to do something with those early turns, but don't allow for unbeatable starts or unbeatable defenses. Morph supports a high multi coloured environment by giving players something to do with their mana. Ravnica did something similar with gates and bouncelands. Supports a hypothesis of large number of cip tapped lands supports a multicoloured environment and causes aggro to be designed differently/start later I guess. This would suggest a different approach than most riptide cubes.

Sorry for derailing the tread with morph talk. The question is what does a high number of cip tapped lands mean for an environment, how can you desig around to gibpve everybody something to do in the early game.

Another question. If the tango lands didn't have basic land types how would you feel about them? Without get lands I don't think they're very good. Guess you have to design accordingly. Also, exited about the full cycle of manlands.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I'm pretty much of the mentality that the tangos introduce a high powered conditionality to a mana base, which is exciting. A bit part of their appeal is the basic land types, because it means they can interact with a lot of other parts of the cube. You gain a powerful effect, due to the way they interact with fetchlands and other cards in the cube, but instead of being ubiquitously powerful (like shocks in cube) there is a potential cost involved. The way that cost plays out--namely the way you can interact with it--is the other exciting thing about them.

Lower power formats already have that via bouncelands, where you gain a powerful effect, but there is a corresponding cost involved. In Skrap's fetchland thread I posed the question "why would somone would pass a fetchland?" With bouncelands, there are reasons to pass them; and now we have a high powered land type, that there also are reasons to pass. This means it should be possible to bifurcate the draft environment's metagame along mana lines; similiar to how I did in the Penny cube: where I just applied what WOTC has done in RGD and KTK, but to a cube environment. Though the higher power level of these cards means that directly porting those priniciple's over is going to be problamatic: tangos are only CIPT lands some of the time.

The morph discussion is 100% on topic. Just because you're taking the land use in a direction I hadn't initially anticipated, dosen't mean its an invalid direction. Its interesting whether that type of environ would be better off with bouncelands, tri-lands, or tango lands. It might even be that you want the tangos but not the fetchs.