Sets (MH3/M3C) Modern Horizons 3 Testing and Includes Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I ended up including…

Of those, I expect Shadow of the Second Sun to be cut again soon, potentially for Season of Weaving. It got drafted and fit the drafter’s deck perfectly, but they cut it from their final list regardless because it felt like too much of a slow and expensive win more card.

The Apprentice played as well as expected, it’s really great! I don’t know how good the Pteramander is yet, I regularly swap out my one mana ninja enablers, and this one happens to also bolster the artifact matters aggro decks.

Colossal Dreadmask was an unexpected delight at the prerelease for me. It’s really, really good at upgrading inconsequential threats, forcing villain to deal with one beatstick after another. Collective Resistance is a less glamorous sidegrade, but it’s super useful. Good car!

Last but not least, Horrid Shadowspinner is Psychatog’s replacement. The tog had the problem that it was a bit too explosive at times, and do-nothing at others. I like the Shadowspinner a lot more, because it’s more proactive, has lifelink (which is another tool to help the discard matters deck stabilize while setting up), and has a nice mini game going on where you can try to boost its power to increase the effect. I love it!

I would like to make a guess. If we fast forward 23 years from now to 2046. Exactly the same amount of years since Psychatog from Odyssey.

My guess is people will remember Psychatog more than they will remember Psychic Frog. People will also have more and better memories from Psychatog.

A format where Psychatog works (i.e. enough gy support and/or spell velocity) but isn't good enough would probably a good description for environments that I don't really enjoy.

Here to stay:

Cards I'm personally excited about but which weren't quite slam dunks:

Cards that, when I saw what they did to constructed formats, I said 'wow, I actually super want this in my Cube':

As anyone can see, I'm pretty bullish on the MDFC lands and the nonbasic hate. Grist is the hardest of the new flipwalkers to support, but I do support his flip-condition, so I'm happy and excited to run all five of the new flip walkers. Some cards that are otherwise clear Cube wins don't work well enough with my flavour, though - the 'energy package' is too many cards in+out for a minor patch, a couple of the creatures felt off-theme for my version of Tarkir... I thought for a while about Birthing Ritual, too, but I want to see what it does in other cubes first before I buy a copy.

Last edited: