Sets [MIC] Midnight (Hunt) Innistrad - Commander

Couldn't be more annoyed that they spoiled an entire video exclusively through a video with no high-res links to be found, but here's some interesting cards from MIC with cube potential (including one that's only found in the Set Boosters because collecting Magic is very straightforward these days).

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 8.34.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-13 at 8.34.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-13 at 8.33.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-13 at 8.35.10 AM.pngmic-72-visions-of-dread.jpg

Somberwald Beastmaster is a mono-green Trostani's Summoner / improved Maul Splicer, which is incredibly tempting, and deathtouch is no joke -- it's hard to die the turn after you cast this/get it onto the battlefield. This is Revilark's best friend, and Hornet Queen's hot date. The tokens have more power than the bees from Hornet Queen get, but they lose flying, and their deathtouch disappears without the beastmaster herself, which helps it not feel entirely as oppressive. My biggest issue with it is the need for three different tokens on a single card, and that two of them are simply differently sized beasts...so aesthetically unpleasant.

Stalwart Pathlighter is too fragile without coven active but I want to like it all the same, I just don't think it competes with the three drops we've been getting in white lately as much as I find the design exciting.

Sigarda's Vanguard is similarly a little awkward at 5-mana as a combat trick, but it could easily alpha strike an unsuspecting opponent. I think that swingyness is exciting from a gameplay perspective but also that it would engender more feelbad than anything else. I think it's justifiable in lists, but in a similar spot to Inkshield.

Heronblade-Elite-MIC-265.jpg

Marwyn, the Nurturer but for humans. Which I am not interested in, but at least I could see someone ever being.

(I will admit the vigilance and tapping for any color goes a long way.)

Not the best reanimation target, but a sweet delve variant. I like the simple elegance of Tombstalker too much for this to step in though.

Just not sure how often it's going to be better than a 4 mana 4/4 deathtoucher that slowly brings back your dudes, which is fine, but it's probably a good amount of work to get to that point. It's neat though, glad they're doing big turtle dudes, even if it simultaneously feels like it's "for the meme".

I read this excitedly thinking it was good until I re-read it and saw the word "decayed":

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 11.36.03 AM.png
Ghoul's Night Out

Reactions: XRS
1631560232907.png
Even another curse that you can put on yourself, but depends a bit on the matchup. Seems wicked strong regardless. Free creature off the top every turn? AND self mill (or opponent mill)?

It is seven mana, but hey. Wincons should cost a bit, right?

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
View attachment 5244

Another Curse you can attach to yourself. You can give yourself landfall - Create a 2/2 decayed Zombie.
If I had a nickel for every time there was a 3 mana black curse that made you zombie tokens, I'd have 3 nickels!
Which isn't that much but it's weird that it happened thrice

1631562391419.png
So IDK what the current state of appreciation of non-Sphinx's Revelation draw X spells is, but I think targeting your opponent with this might just be legit good?

Besides the trinket text hurting a bit to look at, why not just stroke of genius? Unless you mean with the mill option, which is alright I guess. But you can just kill an opponent with the draw.

Didn't people hate the play pattern of undergrowth champion? This seems kinda like that but for any creature on your board with a counter. Especially if you have a way to recharge counters, which you probably do in a counters deck. Also #screwred