Card/Deck Mill in cube: yay or neigh?

Better is a really funny word here but I'm kinda inclined to agree with Chris. I like that it's way more safe of an inclusion than jace and I do like the amount of impact a single instance of -10 can do in a UB deck's game. Like will it be an asvantage that if protected, will just win you the game? It's kinda neat!

CML

Contributor
eh, better is defensible from the standpoint of "better options design-wise since though f precise balancing, there can only be so many gold cards in a particular guild" but i don't even know if i agree with that one. all blue multi-color sections are pretty small in my cube from lack of options and dimir is no different. Ashiok and Strix are both super-cool but beyond that ... Recoil? Sygg (if you have U/B aggro)? Diregraf Captain for Zombies? Havengul Lich for lulz?

Nemesis seems far different than Jace, he's got a big butt (Pheres-Band Centaurs) but he can croak in combat, he "dies to removal," he has summoning sickness etc. I don't think that Memory Adept is a fun design but it's possible that you could think it was good design that needed to be nerfed a little in development.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually quite like havengul lich, I've only found one card which is better to play in birthing pod decks (and even that's arguable): Mikaeus the Unhallowed

Nemesis seems far different than Jace, he's got a big butt (Pheres-Band Centaurs) but he can croak in combat, he "dies to removal," he has summoning sickness etc. I don't think that Memory Adept is a fun design but it's possible that you could think it was good design that needed to be nerfed a little in development.
My issue with nemesis stems mostly from that fact that he DOESN't die to removal. He's a black (Doom Blade) flying (Earthquake) creature that's multicolord (Ultimate Price) and takes a 3-4 burn spells to kill! Also, he triggers on attacking instead of combat damage so blocking doesn't work, or even things like flashafism.

He might take one more turn than jace to kill people, but I wouldn't somehow think sol ring were fair if it cost 2, or if black lotus cost 1.

eh, better is defensible from the standpoint of "better options design-wise since though f precise balancing, there can only be so many gold cards in a particular guild" but i don't even know if i agree with that one. all blue multi-color sections are pretty small in my cube from lack of options and dimir is no different. Ashiok and Strix are both super-cool but beyond that ... Recoil? Sygg (if you have U/B aggro)? Diregraf Captain for Zombies? Havengul Lich for lulz?

You misunderstand. I'm not saying that there needs to be x of every thing precisely balanced in each color but if you're going to add in a multicolor card I generally operate under the procedure another multicolor card should be cut. And by better I mean more utility/interaction/splashier effect. Things like Unfulfilled Desires,Far//Away, or Silent-Blade Oni Just my personal opinion though

CML

Contributor
no i'm with you there 100%.

tried Vela?

have unfulfilled and silent-blade been good for you?

Can confirm Desires is the nut. Haven't gotten the chance to play with the Oni yet but his effect is so sweet he's worth a shot

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Nemesis, I think depending on the speed of your cube, having a relatively noninteractive finisher (see: Sphinx of Jwar Isle) is fine, provided that there are ways to pressure, race, etc.

You can interact with your opponent without interacting with all of their resources. It comes down to one of our original threads, "Do finishers have to be so boring?"

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Sphinx of Jwar Isle in, a way, the perfect card. You play a STEEP premium for him in terms of mana to get a card who can only pound away or block, but avoids typical removal. You don't need to interact with the Sphinx, you have all those turns of build up to interact with your opponents hand/mana base/life total.

This is why fast mana is such a bummer: it kills this natural build of interplay.

Now if it cost 3 mana instead and was even harder to interact with and could be enchanted/equipped, then it might be a problem, but that would never happen, right?