Card/Deck Minor gods

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Thinking quickly about cards that can turn on the BotG gods easily:
the CCC hybrid cards (Boggart Ram-Gang etc)
the SHM-EVE Lieges
the SHM-EVE Avatars (Deus of Calamity)
the guild leaders from both Rav blocks (Trostani, Rakdos)

WU:
God: Ephara - ok, more potential than most just by virtue of costing 4 (shudder)
CCC: Plumeveil - awesome, flash for Ephara
Liege: Thistledown Liege - cool, flash for Ephara
leaders: Isperia(s) - both awful

UB:
God: Phenax - maybe better than he looks? post coming soon
CCC: Nightveil Specter - awesome
Liege: Glen Elendra Liege - meh
Avatar: Ghastlord of Fugue - unremarkable
leaders: Lazav/Szadek - both awful

BR:
God: Mogis - BR has so many good 4s already, maybe good though?
CCC: Ashenmoor Gouger - pretty good imo
Liege: Ashenmoor Liege - see Mogis
Avatar: Demigod of Revenge - love it, has me excited to try Mogis by itself
leaders: Rakdoseseseses - well, they're not not bad

RG:
God: Xenagos - maybe the most promising minor god?
CCC: Boggart Ram-Gang - very good
Liege: Boartusk Liege - eh
Avatar: Deus of Calamity - solid
leaders: Borborygmoi - both garbage and don't let CML tell you otherwise, though Enraged is a cute reanimation/Sneak target

GW:
God: Karametra - gtfo
CCC: Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers - very dull
Liege: Wilt-Leaf Liege - the best Liege for the worst colour combo
Avatar: Oversoul of Dusk - a powerful card, not a remotely interactive card
leaders: Trostani/Chorus - Trostani is a better card despite costing 4 less, still not impressive

RW:
God: ???
CCC: Boros Reckoner - fantastic!
Liege: Balefire Liege - better than Nobilis, maybe an interesting card though neither red nor white is hurting for 5s
leaders: Aurelia/Razia - again Aurelia is far better, and it's a cool card?

WB:
CCC: Restless Apparition - I want to Pod this into things! Nobody else does!
Liege: Deathbringer Liege - ugh
Avatar: Divinity of Pride - it's a shitty Blood Baron
leaders: (Obzedat,/) Ghost Council - both excellent in their day, Obzedat is probably a better card

BG:
CCC: Stalker Hag - no
Liege: Creakwood Liege - ok actually?
Avatar: Deity of Scars - whatever
leaders: Jarad/Sisters - Jarad is MODO Cube joke fodder, and luckily Sisters isn't yet (don't give them ideas!)

UG:
CCC: Wistful Selkie - alright, Thassa/Master are the best devotion cards as it is and this helps them a lot
Liege: Murkfiend Liege - nah
Avatar: Overbeing of Myth - I've lost to this in Constructed before
leaders: Experiment Kraj/Prime Speaker - I really want Prime Speaker to be good enough

UR:
CCC: Crag Puca - probably not huh
Liege: Mindwrack Liege - hell no
Avatar: Dominus of Fealty - turns on the 2 best major gods
leaders: Niv-Mizzets - Dracogenius is ok

CML

Contributor
the most exciting thing about Mogis for me is that R/B are already the best devotion colors and already the colors with the best hybrid cards. like my Rakdos Section is mono hybrid excepting the incomparable Aristocrat. I think I'll give him another week.

Ephara seems like the strongest of these new cards, though maybe I'm underrating Phenax and Xenagos. The difficulty in Ephara is that W/U are the worst devotion colors. Thistledown Liege is a fucking piece of shit, Plumeveil and Godhead are kinda delightful though.

for JIX (?) I'm most excited about W/B ("athreos"?) and B/G ("pharika"?) though really any but U/R could be pretty awesome

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Green/Black are quickly solidifying into my devotion colors, so I'm really, really hoping Pharika is awesome. The lack of a decent CCC card sucks, though, but Creakwood Liege is pretty good. Its possible the W/B god and a new white devotion card could really knock it out of the park and shake things up, though. Evangel of Heliod is actually pretty good and in a non-irrelevant number of occasions is actually a stronger 6 drop then big elspeth (though her flexibility probably makes her the sweeter card).

Ephara is in a weird place, I mean I love the card and all and maybe its self supporting nature can overcome the lack of U/W devotion support in my cube.

I'd like to remind/inform everyone that hybrid symbols count as 1 towards two-color devotion counts; plumeveil is +3 for Ephara.

I wrote a huge post on how little I think of the minor gods but I'm just going to summarize it by saying I think they should be judged as if they could never be creatures, and that devotion should be pushed for effects, not turning on gods.

Also I believe Momir Vig was simic's old leader, and kraj was its champion.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
If you judge the minor gods "as if they could never be creatures" then they are all terrible. Attacking, or at the very least, the threat of attacking is extremely important to their power level. Ephara in particular is potentially powerful because she draws you cards, which in turn can give you the devotion to attack with her. Without that threat I'd rather play concentrate and get the card advantage immediately with no strings attached.