Sets (MKM) Murders at Karlov Manor Previews

Voltrider says you can cast an instant or sorcery spell. Does that work with creatures that have Adventure?
They updated the rules regarding it with the latest Zendikar so that you could for instance play the backside of MDFCs with Crucible of Worlds and such, it now checks what you are attempting to play rather than the characteristics of the card itself before you play it.

They updated the rules regarding it with the latest Zendikar so that you could for instance play the backside of MDFCs with Crucible of Worlds and such, it now checks what you are attempting to play rather than the characteristics of the card itself before you play it.

Oh wow nice! And that makes total sense!
The game is probably better for it.

Neither the zone nor card type is relevant. It only works for effects that specifically let you play or cast cards, and they naturally can't target, as the target itself would be illegal. I don't think most tutors like Sunforger would let you cast an adventure (until they print instants that can go on adventures), as the criteria is part of the search effect. 601.3 have the relevant rulings for casting spells, not entirely sure where the ones entailing playing lands are.

It being upkeep is what does it for me. Crucible you can use it the turn it comes down

Yeah and tapped. It was 2 turns slower than Crucible at first testing. It didn’t make sense for me in a for at where you try to build for power max to win your games. But for cube it’s certainly possible!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I love lands and silly enchntments but I can't imagine Recon being playable or appealing outside a very specific format with a low power level

Had a great time during prerelease weekend so far. I half expected it because I adore the Disguise mechanic for retail limited, but I also wasn't very impressed with the design on display overall for the set. I was right to feel both parts of that: Disguise was fun, if underpowered. Paying 3 is really feels like it's too much for mostly-a-2/2 in modern Magic design sensibilities, even when it's the "right" play in a given circumstance. As much as I like diet delve conceptually, collecting evidence didn't feel supported enough in my sealed pool. There don't seem to be a ton of enablers in the main set, but maybe draft will address that better.

Unlike with previous pre-release weekends, I didn't find any "uncovered gems" or cards that I was curious about but became willing to test. I still have one more event to go to, so we'll see if that one changes my tune, but considering this the least interestingly designed set since at least VOW but maybe even RIX seems like a pretty easy take to have at this point.

Niv-Mizzet, Guildpact is a blast. Wish it had protection from mono-colored (like my favorite underrated Boros card, General Ferrous Rokiric), which would probably have helped it take my rotating dumb 5C card slot for a year or so like Codie, Vociferous Codex or the (admittedly better) Two-Headed Hellkite before it.

Had a great time during prerelease weekend so far. I half expected it because I adore the Disguise mechanic for retail limited, but I also wasn't very impressed with the design on display overall for the set. I was right to feel both parts of that: Disguise was fun, if underpowered. Paying 3 is really feels like it's too much for mostly-a-2/2 in modern Magic design sensibilities, even when it's the "right" play in a given circumstance. As much as I like diet delve conceptually, collecting evidence didn't feel supported enough in my sealed pool. There don't seem to be a ton of enablers in the main set, but maybe draft will address that better.

Unlike with previous pre-release weekends, I didn't find any "uncovered gems" or cards that I was curious about but became willing to test. I still have one more event to go to, so we'll see if that one changes my tune, but considering this the least interestingly designed set since at least VOW but maybe even RIX seems like a pretty easy take to have at this point.

Niv-Mizzet, Guildpact is a blast. Wish it had protection from mono-colored (like my favorite underrated Boros card, General Ferrous Rokiric), which would probably have helped it take my rotating dumb 5C card slot for a year or so like Codie, Vociferous Codex or the (admittedly better) Two-Headed Hellkite before it.
Chromaniticore fans in shambles...

I was writing another follow-up to my early thoughts here based on playing a few MKM drafts yesterday on Arena, but I ended up going too deep into it and made it a full article. Check it out here!
I just did my addition of MKM to my list and ended up not going for cases because they seemed confusing.

Also, you failed to mention the clutch interaction of Delney plus Goblin Guide for Boros.