Mordor's All-Terrain Battlebox

landofMordor

Administrator

All-Terrain Battlebox

A beginner-focused, sleeveless, low-complexity, no-hassle battlebox. (Link in the heading.)

Deck is split in two before the game begins. None of this shared-library nonsense. Otherwise, standard Battlebox rules apply (20 life, 1-vs-1, 5 basic lands and 5 Guildgates in each player's command zone).

Restrictions:
- No tokens
- No counters or game-state-tracking paraphernalia
- Budget assuming the cards will be utterly destroyed through use, just as Richard Garfield intended
- Minimal interaction with non-battlefield zones

Design goals:
- Serviceable as a first-time Magic experience
- Reminder text as often as possible, even for evergreen keywords
- Complexity is primarily emergent from creature combat, not text boxes
- Vanilla 3/2 for 3-mv with slight upside as baseline stats
- "Cool factor" doesn't come from power level, but from art and flavor

"Mission statement" cards for this environment include:

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator
Right now I have a couple design goals I'm pondering:
- Is it worth bumping up to 125 to include Tammy-appealing cards and more removal without cutting into the vanilla cards I think are cool? As this box is unsleeved, it won't be a logistics problem, but it might increase variance of gameplay
- Will kicker cards help or hurt in generating combat-centric, tempo-oriented gameplay?
- What is the role that double-pipped ({G}{G}) cards will play in this environment in terms of slowing down gameplay? How many should each color have?
- How the heck do I search for card printings that have reminder text?

If you have thoughts about any of these questions, I'd love it if you'd drop me a note. Cheers!

I must say I am intrigued by your design, having recently read the 3/2s article. I'd love to see how the fames play out. However I am not too sure about the format of battle box per se.
How has your experience with the format been? Have you tested this list?

landofMordor

Administrator
I must say I am intrigued by your design, having recently read the 3/2s article. I'd love to see how the fames play out. However I am not too sure about the format of battle box per se.
How has your experience with the format been? Have you tested this list?
I've tested it less than a dozen times, but not by much. I've also played it with a brand-new player. The list was mostly-identical to what's on Cube Cobra.

Games have been a blast so far, even for someone as experienced as I am. The games are somewhat fast (a couple have ended before people have played all their lands), somewhat tempo-oriented. Combat tricks are strong, as are the ETB creatures that kill stuff (Ravenous Chupacabra was a bomb, as was Twinshot Sniper). Ana Battlemage is a beast, though, so card advantage still matters. One thing I'm trying to address with this update is a game state where a flyer or other evasive creature goes unanswered and beats down for like 5 turns in a row. I'm also trying to tune removal so that people have it available for small critters, but also don't spend it all before the big 5-mv things start coming down.

My other reflection on this format is that it's just really really nice to have a thing that you don't need to painstakingly shuffle or set up. You just cut the deck in two and go! I'd say that's the biggest boon the BattleBox setup lends to this experience. I also think my card choice was serindipitous -- I can totally focus on the battlefield since there's no counters, tokens, or other game zones to worry about, and it's also so cheap that I can take it anywhere without fear.

Hey thanks for the comprehensive right up :)

Kicker would probably be best on cards that have an ok baseline (like the 3/2 wizard) so that playing the base card on curve wont be too embarassing. However, the Battlemages sure are a lot of fun.

I feel like mechanics that incentivice attacking could also be a good thing here.
Stuff like raid, boast, or even inspired:

Edit: There are also cards in other colors with these mechanics lol

Last edited:
I really like this battle box so far! Here are my long-awaited ideas.

1)– Deadly Recluse slows down games. A lesson from my box is that deadly recluse can't effectively attack but is also hard to attack into effectively. This means that it can cause a board stall. You're already running the version of this card that remedies the issue that I'm talking about, Thornweald Archer, so you could just cut recluse without

2)– On the subject of Vanilla Creatures. I had some questions regarding a couple of your vanilla creature choices, but I think you answered them in this exchange with sigh pretty well:

(below card is just representative) I really liked the "Theriad" series that Theros flavor texts had. Really neat little integrated world-building.
I also love these. I crammed as many as I could into a beginner-friendly battlebox. I think a new player would be really intrigued when they learn that there’s more than 1 Theriad flavor text, and be inspired to hunt for more. That’s the hope, at least.
But I think it may be possible to optimize these slots more. One important factor in choosing vanilla creatures for a beginner battle box is making sure the cards are interesting game pieces despite their simplicity. New players don't want to use bad cards, and Vanilla creatures feel a lot worse than their friends with abilities. I cannot properly convey how annoyed I would get opening my 6th Silent Artisan or 15th Fellhide Minotaur in my Theros packs as a kid. I think playing vanilla creatures that are strictly worse versions of other cards in the box might be frustrating. Take Traveling Philosophers. This card has interesting lore, but it's strictly worse than Fledgling Griffin and usually worse than Stormfront Pegasus. I think if a new player ends up getting stuck with Traveling Philosophers and Fellhide Minotaur while playing against something cool like Serra Angel, they might be unhappy. Another example would be the event in which one player has a Queen's Bay Soldier and the other has a Vermin Gorger. This problem may not end up being an issue for you since I think your primary audience is of a different age demographic than mine, but it's something worth thinking about in a broader sense.

If you do wish to remedy these particular cards without losing the juicy Theriad lore, I think there are a couple of easy swaps you can make. Two things I have done to ensure my Vanilla creatures are interesting is to make sure they have unique stats in their slot and to make sure they have fun lore. For example, Swordwise Centaur is the only two-mana 3/2 creature in the Battle Box. Meanwhile, Pensive Minotaur has humorous art and lore that makes it feel unique despite the fact that it's probably the worst three drop in the box. Catacomb Crocodile has both unique stats and fun lore, which makes it feel like an incredibly impactful game piece despite it's simplicity.

Again, you may not want to make changes here, but if you do, I think you have a lot to work with.

3)– More Flying Interaction. You mentioned on Discord that fliers are a bit of an issue in the Box right now. I think the best remedy for this issue would just be to add more fliers. I run about 20 creatures with Flying in my Box whereas you only run about 10. While dying to fliers can still be an issue in my environment, the fact that there are about 20% fliers in the box coupled with about 25% removal means that anything big that needs to die usually can. Adding some core set reach and flying creatures with reminder text could be helpful here. You could also give your flying creatures smaller base powers, using cards like Concordia Pegasus over Stormfront Pegasus.

Unfortunately, WOTC only put reminder text for flying on creatures from 9th Edition and 10th Edition, commons from M15 and Origins, and supplemental cards in M19 and M20. Still, there's plenty here to work with if you're inclined. You could even play Storm Crow!

Other than that, I think this is a very cool and well-constructed Battle Box, and I am excited to see how it progresses in the future!

Thanks,
GT

landofMordor

Administrator
I really like this battle box so far! Here are my long-awaited ideas.
Thanks! And thanks for the comments!
1)– Deadly Recluse slows down games. A lesson from my box is that deadly recluse can't effectively attack but is also hard to attack into effectively. This means that it can cause a board stall. You're already running the version of this card that remedies the issue that I'm talking about, Thornweald Archer, so you could just cut recluse
Yeaaaaaah you might be right. The appeal of Recluse is the reminder text for two evergreen keywords (and also nostalgia from me), but maybe it's not worth it.
2)– On the subject of Vanilla Creatures. I think it may be possible to optimize these slots more. One important factor in choosing vanilla creatures for a beginner battle box is making sure the cards are interesting game pieces despite their simplicity...I think playing vanilla creatures that are strictly worse versions of other cards in the box might be frustrating. Take Traveling Philosophers. This card has interesting lore, but it's strictly worse than Fledgling Griffin and usually worse than Stormfront Pegasus. I think if a new player ends up getting stuck with Traveling Philosophers and Fellhide Minotaur while playing against something cool like Serra Angel, they might be unhappy.
You have some good points, but I think there may be a few mitigating factors here. First, I've intentionally seeded this format such that creatures will trade up and down the mana curve (the "3-mana 3/2" thing), which means that even a vanilla bear can trade up on mana if it's in the right combat situation. That frame of mind does require treating the game piece as an economic transaction instead of a fantasy monster, but hopefully the flavor compensates a bit for that. IMO, constructing situations that maximize the return on your "transaction" is like half the fun of Magic's combat system. Second, it's not reflected in the box right now, but I plan to add Jasmine Boreal of the Seven soon for some juicy vanilla synergy. There will also be more synergies like Elas il-kor which trigger off vanillas to inflate their utility as game objects.
If you do wish to remedy these particular cards without losing the juicy Theriad lore, I think there are a couple of easy swaps you can make. Two things I have done to ensure my Vanilla creatures are interesting is to make sure they have unique stats in their slot and to make sure they have fun lore. For example, Swordwise Centaur is the only two-mana 3/2 creature in the Battle Box. Meanwhile, Pensive Minotaur has humorous art and lore that makes it feel unique despite the fact that it's probably the worst three drop in the box. Catacomb Crocodile has both unique stats and fun lore, which makes it feel like an incredibly impactful game piece despite it's simplicity.
I definitely need a Croc and a Swordwise Centaur... but (heresy alert) I don't find the Minotaur very funny, myself.
3)– More Flying Interaction. You mentioned on Discord that fliers are a bit of an issue in the Box right now. I think the best remedy for this issue would just be to add more fliers.
I really like this suggestion. I'm thinking about increasing the overall size a bit to 120 (finding cuts is hard!) but I'll try to boost the flyer as-fan (Pegasus Charger and Volcanic Dragon, baby) while I'm at it.

Last edited: