Mordor's Cube (The Ship of Theseus)

landofMordor

Administrator

restrictions don't breed creativity​

and related pedantry

Mark Rosewater's most famous cliché among design types is that "restrictions breed creativity." Lucky Paper Radio says it; Star City Games says it; probably some riptiders say it too.

But it's false; an elision. Restrictions do one thing and one thing only: they restrict. How we get from there to creativity is the whole point of the cliché, and omitting that causal chain does a disservice to the listener.

Restrictions are not uniformly good for creatives. (If I'm a musician or a dancer and my body is restricted with more and more padlocks and straitjackets, eventually I will be unable to move, much less make art.)

Freedom is not uniformly bad, either. (If I'm a Chess computer, seeking the optimal route to victory, why would I want my options artificially limited?)

Speaking of computers – when a program searches for an optimum, there's a tradeoff called Explore vs Exploit. Think of it like a Magic pro preparing their deck choice for the Pro Tour. Too much Exploration of the metagame, and you'll never be able to fine-tune and master the best deck; too much Exploitation, and you won't be bothered to even look for the best deck.

The optimal 75 Magic cards for a tournament is a huge-but-tractable problem. Creating Magic cards is orders of magnitude larger. Restrictions shrink that possibility space into one that's more tractable. Then, the creator can Explore exhaustively, without getting lost in the vast tracts of uncharted possibility; they can Exploit completely, without wasting time in cul-de-sacs. The creative process continues, unchanged (and certainly not being "bred"). All that's happened is that focus is easier to come by.

Restrictions don't breed creativity; restrictions triage possibility.

cheers

Last edited:
I would like to apologize — I wrote that while I was in a really bad mood (I think all of WotC's nonsense has been getting to me more than I realized), and I definitely took it out on you for no good reason. I phrased that in probably the most spiteful way possible, and I'm deeply sorry for doing so. :(

landofMordor

Administrator
Thank you for saying that. I really appreciate it, and I also totally empathize how frustrating the internet can be. No hard feelings <3

for others reading: Mapi and I worked it out in DMs, and agreed that everybody should get the chance to undo things they’d rather not say, so we’ve deleted the relevant posts. All you need to know as an outsider is that the two of us are cool and I really appreciate Mapi for being considerate of me.

landofMordor

Administrator

ONE tests​

I'm pretty proud of myself during this preview season for my modest testing list. (ONE made it easy to be disciplined, thankfully, but I'll discuss that in a minute!)

Will actively search out:
- Cankerbloom is an elegant design with relevant abilities and stats. Fungi eat dead things; Cankerbloom eats "dead" magical things and "proliferates" by spreading spores. The 3/2 statline is dynamic and relevant in my Watchwolf format. Chef's kiss. The compleat package.
- Jor Kadeen, First Goldwarden is a lot like Braids, Argivian Recruiter. They require a bit of synergy to be worth casting, but they very quickly scale with open-ended enablers to provide significant payoff. Jor Kadeen will draw cards regardless of how his power reaches 4, will double-buff himself if he's equipped, and only needs 1 augmentation to scale above-rate (3/3 trample for {R}{W}). If he's not successful in my environment, then my environment isn't successful.
- Migloz, Maze Crusher is just beef and a cool multicolor card. Fairly simple, too.

May test if I happen upon one:
-Ossification might replace Declaration in Stone or similar, but I don't think it's so powerful that I'm priced into this change.
-Drown in Ichor, same thing.
-Glissa Sunslayer offends me for being so much stronger than my pet card Glissa the Traitor, but otherwise I'd be a lot higher on it. She's the kind of "Baneslayer" that I'm most interested in.

May test if I hear high praise:
-Sheoldred's Edict, meh whatever
-Nissa, Ascended Animist has several aspirational abilities and a respectable floor. I'm unsure whether she'll play out that way, and it's not like green was hurting for powerful 5-drops.
-Melira, the Living Cure also offends me for being perfect stats with one relevant ability... and one ability that is pure additive distraction in any format except Modern. boo hiss.

On "poisonous" mechanics:
Toxic, Corrupted, and similarly linear mechanics (Jason called them "poisonous", but I'm going with MaRo's definition) want you to play with a sufficient density of similar abilities. In this case, Poison. However, individual cards with linear mechanics may still be modular designs!

Imagine Mother of Runes with Infect or Toxic 1. She's still a modular design, even though she's been given a linear mechanic. (Infect might even improve the design, as its all-or-nothing nature would disincentivize Mom's controller from putting their shield down by attacking.) And conversely -- Savannah Lions is a very linear design despite the lack of any rules text, modular or otherwise.

Play pattern is generated by mechanics interacting with card design. A linear mechanic doesn't necessitate linear cards. As cube designers, we say we dislike linear mechanics, when we often mean that linear play patterns are undesirable.

But there's something else implied by "I dislike linear mechanics." Look at Anoint with Affliction, a Smother variant with 2 forms of pure upside (exile, and Corrupted). If Smother is strong in a cube, then Anoint would be, too. The linearity of Corrupted won't affect the play patterns of Anoint. But as I argued in my post on complexity, irrelevant rules text is strictly negative from a complexity standpoint. Anoint is the proof of that statement. Without Poison in a cube, there's literally 0 ways to turn on Corrupted, meaning that Corrupted is at best meaningless and at worst actively confusing or misleading.

That's why Melira irks me so much, when another recent "watchwolf with negligible upside" like Hajar, Loyal Bodyguard doesn't. Melira makes it obvious that she's adding complexity with zero upside to my format. Hajar at least allows me to delude myself that I'll get some novel play patterns (even if I suspect it's a 5% likelihood at best).

What other cards offer lots of complexity for minimal upside? What's the inflection point when that complexity/novelty tradeoff converges to just being another Corrupted? The main reason my ONE testing list is so short is that all Poison cards, and many Oil cards, fell on the wrong side of this inflection point, for my tastes.

landofMordor

Administrator

magic & skateparks: a pseudo-physical analogy​

You and your opponent lock eyes over the crest of the boulder. You dig in your heels, brace your hands. When the ref shouts "go!", adrenaline and oxygenated blood race through you. You and your opponent are standing in a skatepark "bowl" -- a depression with shallow sloping sides -- each trying to push the boulder to the rim of the opponent's side, like a tug-of-war shove-of-war. You're keenly aware of how the environment affects this contest of strength -- your traction on the ground, the size of the boulder, the endurance of both contestants, the steepness of the bowl.

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 4.49.07 PM.png

Such a game actually exists: it's called Magic: The Gathering, and I've just described its physics.

Physics -- the science of understanding how and why the world behaves as it does -- maps surprisingly well onto game design. Indeed, many a game designer's commonest jargon are directly borrowed from physics. To wit: Games can be conceived as an "idealized system" governed by "mechanics" and described by a "game state". These are all physical terms. Physicists study the behavior of subsets of reality (idealized systems) governed by absolute rules (mechanics) and described using metrics (a state). Analogies between the two disciplines are useful because humans have direct sensory experience with physics, which can help explain why and how game phenomena occur.

Let's apply the skatepark to a Magic game. Before the coin is flipped for first player, the game state is that of perfect equilibrium (the boulder at rest at the bowl's lowest point). The goal of each player is to reach a final state of victory (the boulder pushed up the bowl to the opponent's side). And so they enact game actions to pursue that goal (shoves on the boulder). But it's not merely a contest of brute strength; there are also environmental factors to consider...

For one, a bigger boulder will be harder to shove. This is a Magic format's speed, which the designer can change directly by changing the starting life totals or other resources (commanders, conspiracies, fast mana, etc). It's also possible to alter a format's speed by lowering the mana curve, or changing the "clock" presented by the format's threats (Terrain Elemental instead of Grizzly Bears).

Second, not every shove is of equal strength. This is a Magic card's rate. Tarmogoyf is better than Grizzly Bears at pushing the game to a conclusion. When a bunch of individual rates are bundled into a format, we call that power level. Note the analogy's limits: a more powerful card will often win faster, too, which affects the format's perceived speed. I'm not trying to create an airtight analogy, merely illustrate the key differences between these ideas.

Third, the downward-sloping sides of the skatepark bowl mean shoves must be sustained over time -- the more sloped, the more sustained effort it takes to win. When Magic cards have a continuing effect on the game, we call this snowballing (or the lack thereof). For example, Dragon's Rage Channeler is slow to get going but can continue to provide value and evasive damage even in the late game; Wild Nacatl scales to 3/3 more easily but can't scale through evasion. A deck composed of Wild Nacatls will struggle to win late games compared to a deck full of DRC, and both will struggle against Pteramander, who scales slowest of all three but has the highest ceiling. For the Wild Nacatl player to win games, they need to overwhelm the opponent quickly. The interplay of quick and slow scaling creates the tempo dimension of a Cube, like the sloping sides of the skatepark bowl determine the difficulty of winning the game (and no, I'm not defining that word any more rigorously than this).

Finally, even the most well-placed boulder shove, intended to convert energy into motion, is not 100% efficient: friction causes energy to dissipate into the surroundings, unrecoverable. Magic cards are intended to convert resources (cards, mana, life, turns) into victory, but there are still losses. When a card like Lion Sash is purchased for {1}{W}, some fraction of that pays for the grave-hate utility of the Sash, and another pays for the Reconfigure utility. If those affordances aren't useful in a given game state, then part of the payment was wasted! Efficient card designs recover this lost energy -- Goblin Guide recovers its drawback wastage by ending the game before the extra lands are relevant; Murktide Regent recovers the wasted turns spent playing cantrips by growing so big and cheap as to win the game by itself. Efficient formats (or, less ambiguously, formats with low dissipation) are full of these kinds of cards.

Skatepark Shove-of-WarA Magic CardA Magic FormatClassical Physics (for the nerds)
The strength of a shoveRate (per mana spent)Format power levelForce
The slope of the bowlAbility to scale into the late gameFormat tempoResistance/springiness
The traction on the ground"Friction": the efficiency of converting resources into useful, synergistic powerFormat dissipationDissipation/friction
The size of the boulderThe speed of a card (its castability & clock)Format speedMass, the resistance of an object to the effects of force (see 1)

On Relative Power Level
Anthony of Lucky Paper makes the compelling case that power is relative in Limited -- a card like Behold the Unspeakable may be worse in Modern than Murktide Regent, but it's possible to design a cube where Behold is relatively as strong as Murktide is in Modern. I think this is correct, but this begs the question -- will a Murktide cube have the same play pattern as a Behold cube? And, whether or not this is true, why?

Let's try a thought experiment: is it possible to vary the card design axes of rate, scalability, and dissipation independently? I'll provide two examples for each combination of these axes:

Small Rate (Behold Cube)
DissipativeEfficient
Low ScalabilityNearheath Stalker, Holy StrengthMogg Fanatic, Bump in the Night
High ScalabilityBehold the Unspeakable, DivinationRogue Refiner when Energy is supported, Seize the Storm

High Rate (Murktide Cube)

I suspect the answer lies in the way my skatepark analogy breaks. Push the boulder as hard as you like: do you expect to see the friction of the ground change as a result? what about the slope of the bowl? Of course not! These physical phenomena are independent.

But I don't think that's the case in Magic design, because we're working with a finite card pool. Rate, speed, dissipation, and scalability are convoluted -- R&D only has a limited ability to turn one knob without bumping the others. In other words, it may be possible to make Behold as relatively strong as Murktide, but it's unlikely that Behold will be as snowballing, low-dissipation, and fast as Murktide.

Frictionless Cards in Cube Design

Those who've read my blog before know that my fondest wish is for Glissa, the Traitor to see play in my Cube. I love the deckbuild decisions she inspires, and I love how her ability (which can get value within the same turn cycle) makes her modal between "baneslayer" and "mulldrifter" depending dynamically on the game state.

But Glissa is... not good in The Ship of Theseus. Even more accurate: I've literally never seen her contribute to anything resembling a winning play pattern. At first, I thought she was simply too weak, so I kept cutting, and cutting, the format's power outliers. Eventually Glissa was plausibly the strongest BG threat at 3 MV, Mob Nixilis was the strongest BR threat, Slogurk was the strongest UG... And the format kept rejecting these threats, like an immune system rejects an intruder.

Contrast Glissa with Mathas, Fiend Seeker. They both have 3/3 bodies, difficult costs, relevant keywords, and card-advantage engines that require other game pieces to reach their ceilings. The key difference is in the designs' dissipation of investment. A big fraction of Glissa's mana is "wasted energy" if you don't have 1) an artifact, 2) a way to put the artifact in your grave, 3) several turns with Glissa in play, and at least one of 4) a kill spell or 5) combat phases. Mathas dissipates very little mana -- his Bounty persists even if he eats a kill spell, his trigger has an extremely narrow window of interaction, and can be triggered by any card type. Sure, Mathas can't kill things by himself, but what experienced opponent ever blocks Glissa, anyways? Mathas is vastly more successful in The Ship of Theseus than Glissa, even though they've both had stints as the highest-rate threat in their respective slots.

Patrick Sullivan, when defining "efficiency" in the sense I use it, notes that efficient designs close off angles of attack for the opponent: you can't out-card Uro, you can't out-race it, you can't out-tempo it. Moreover, efficient cards tend to linearize and streamline deckbuilding -- instead of compensating for your cards' weaknesses, you just go all-in on Plan A. Some amount of this is good in a Cube, but The Ship of Theseus is chock-full of cards like this.

Even the non-creature spells are super-efficient -- instead of dissipating mana on things like dynamic upside or modality, they all do exactly one thing, at a brutal rate. (These spells are consistutive for high-power Magic, but they function as the "white blood cells" that reject dissipative threats.)

My experiments in altering the power level of my format to showcase dissipative threats were thwarted by the way my metagame rewards frictionless cards and gameplans. I kept trying to insert dissipative threats into an efficient format.

TL;DR
1 - just because a threat is best-in-class, doesn't mean it will see play
2 - a format's dissipation sets the opportunity cost and rules of engagement for synergistic play patterns
3 - a frictionless format will reject dissipative cards (e.g. NEO's rejection of Samurai "Exalted"), often via the efficiency of the format's bread-and-butter effects
4 - because higher-power card designs are usually faster, more efficient, and more snowbally, it's not always possible to integrate dissipative threats (ie, threats that require synergy) into high-power formats

Last edited:
Great write-up! I've been meaning to ask you for a while about Mathas--do you think he'd be good in a somewhat low-powered format, or do you think that his stock really depends on how cheap removal is? As a member of Team Excellent Mana Fixing At All Levels Of Power, I'm not too concerned about getting him out early, as while I'm not on triple fetch/double shock I do have upwards of 60 fixing lands (custom full sets of bicycles, custom full sets of horizons, stuff like that) in a 384.

landofMordor

Administrator
Great write-up! I've been meaning to ask you for a while about Mathas--do you think he'd be good in a somewhat low-powered format, or do you think that his stock really depends on how cheap removal is? As a member of Team Excellent Mana Fixing At All Levels Of Power, I'm not too concerned about getting him out early, as while I'm not on triple fetch/double shock I do have upwards of 60 fixing lands (custom full sets of bicycles, custom full sets of horizons, stuff like that) in a 384.
Thanks!

Mathas is very good. The fact that the bounty counters are persistent means I'm not trying to actively point kill spells at things -- I just shrug and say "hm well eventually we'll trade and I'll get to 2-for-1 you while I'm at it". The trigger happens at end step, so it's easy to sequence Mathas when your oppo is tapped out. And the 3/3 Menace means he's relevant on the same boardstates where a lot of things are dying. He's maybe the best Mardu card out there. (only downside -- don't mix and match with Chevill, Bane of Monsters!)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Note to self: I might want to revisit Mathas. I think he could be a scaling card, in the sense that his power scales with the power level of the cube. Mine is definitely lower power than yours, but Mathas could be a good fit!

PS. Time and again, the brutal impact of Fervent Charge keeps surprising me in a good way. 4 mana is perfect as a follow up to dumping all your low mv threats onto the table, and a teamwide +2/+2 is so much more amazing than the +1/+1 Glorious Anthem effects grant.

Makes sense, thanks for the review! The more I think about Mathas the more he seems a fun bridge between aggro and control. I'll give him a go based on your recommendation!

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator

more quick thoughts on "dissipation"​

I've been thinking a lot about this term since my last post, and it's proved extremely difficult to pin down. I must admit, I landed on the term as a post-hoc way to rationalize the gameplay experiences I've had in this cube, and trying to describe the subjective differences between Glissa vs Mathas.

Enter Pat Chapin. I've talked about his amazing KLD-era article on another thread; in it he cites Investment as a key for maximizing interesting decisions:
Magic is about taking risks to get rewards, making decisions based on your strategy in the game, and the tactical demands of this particular encounter. These are the kinds of investments I’d like to see emphasized with regard to how many opportunities for these experiences there are, how much the sum total of them are significant, and how diverse a mix of puzzles there is to solve. [Emphasis mine.]

That's the main Cube insight here for me: I'm disappointed that this cube's game pieces seem to present similar puzzles over and over, and that some Plowshares- and Oko-shaped puzzles feel like they invalidate the game decisions that have come before. (Don't get it twisted; this isn't any brand of good-ol-days curmudgeonry. The blame lands at the feet of Alpha and Urza's Block just as much as Eldraine and Ikoria.)

And, long story short, Pat Sullivan's idea of "efficiency" (or "dissipation") seems to partly explain why some game pieces lead to fewer meaningful decision points in-game. Especially with regard to how frictionless threats collapse opportunity for counterplay, and frictionless answers choke out below-rate threats, and efficient threats are ones whose rate gets fed back in to cover the card's weaknesses.

Sure, rate/dissipation/scalability/speed might all be convoluted so that my distinctions above lose some of their sharp edges. Clarifications and semantic quibbles are super welcome, because I do think "dissipation" could be a useful thought technology. But semantics are far less important than the fact that I'm chasing interesting decisions... and I can't quite put my finger on why they escape me.

Last edited:
Hm, how much of this is just a way to express that we want the cards we play to be roughly the same power level, and not have a single card affect the game too much, to the extent where it trivializes all the decisions that came before it? I certainly have played retail sealed or draft games that were very exciting until villains plays some dumb stupid rare/mythic that just puts the game into auto pilot.

landofMordor

Administrator

MOM Testing​

Will actively search out:
Faerie Mastermind because I enjoy the historical aspect of the Champ cards
Zimone and Dina has a bunch of stats. Mostly disregard the sacrifice ability.
Thalia and the Gitrog Monster also has stats
Drana and Linvala, see comment above
Baral and Kari Zev, ditto
Bloodfeather Phoenix is apparently Red's first {2}-mana 2-power flier
Goro-Goro and Satoru
Slimefoot and Squee

Battles:
I'm going to start by testing these fairly aggressively, and will only put one into my cube when I've found room for them all. The thing I love about Battles (and, relatedly, the team-up legends) is that they can provide an Eternal Cube like mine with a bit of actual theme and cohesive flavor, "DC crossover event"-style. My cube is already sourced from every plane in the Multiverse, and Battles give that hodgepodge a thematic identity.
Invasion of Ikoria
Invasion of Innistrad
Invasion of Ixalan
Invasion of Tarkir
Invasion of Gobakhan
Invasion of Kaldheim
Invasion of Karsus
Invasion of Mercadia
Invasion of Segovia

May test if I happen upon one:
Streetwise Negotiator do be a Watchwolf
Halo Forager do be a Snapcaster
Wrenn & Realmbreaker do be a planeswalker
Borborygmos and Fblthp do be extremely fly
Pile On
Katilda and Lier

A lot going on with this set. Honestly, The Ship of Theseus is on the back burner right now, between its less-desirable gameplay patterns and the thrill of designing Pulp Nouveau, so as I typed this list up, I was exhausted just thinking about tracking down all those Battles. It might be awhile before these updates actually happen, or I might just take a break from actively acquiring cards for this cube. But, tentatively, this is the plan.

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator

Cube for all Seasons: Summer '23 Update​

A single cube cannot be all things to all drafters.

It's taken a long time for me to truly internalize this. Cube's rep as the "best Magic format" and the MTGOVC's popularity both obscure this fact, for one thing. But more importantly, the message that a single Cube can be one-size-fits-all assumes that your players are all interested in the same kind of Magic.

Historically, that's meant cube as a high-power nostalgia trip, which caters to lapsed competitive players with comprehensive knowledge and shelf-splintering collections.

But my LGS cube group of 2023 is a very different crew. Too new to have played paper Standard, uninterested in drafting for stakes, still in love with old weird cards just because the Kaja Foglio art is charming. And, most wonderfully, their primary interest in Magic is just having an excuse to hang out and chat every week. I've also changed as a designer and player since building this cube; I'm less tolerant of unfun designs and more aware of the play patterns I like.

That put The Ship of Theseus in a difficult spot. On one hand, I've had a longstanding struggle to make my favorite designs shine alongside the Ponders and Bolts. And my current crowd at the LGS is more receptive of my "NEO Remixed" set cube and Pulp Nouveau lower-power cube than Theseus' Ship, anyhow. Seems like if I'm unable to harmonize the Ship's design elements, and she's unsuitable for my casual cube group, then it's time to scuttle her, no?

Luckily, I'm a little too sentimental to scuttle her, but we did have a long stint in dry dock. I more or less called a halt to new-card updates since BRO, and since then ran a couple drafts of The Ship of Theseus as a JumpStart cube (thanks for the idea, @blacksmithy!). It was super fun and fast (ending Cube night an hour early on a work night was swell), and the newer players weren't forced to make complex manabase decisions.

This was all well and good to cultivate a high-power fair cube that's accessible to new players, but as I was testing this new configuration, I realized: there are 4x as many Modern players in the store every week as Cube players. Why is my nearly-free, super-accessible Cube night not getting much traction among competitively minded players, the group for whom Cube was originally designed?

Part of the answer is that I'm not promising the winner a Secret Lair and store credit as a prize (and I simply refuse to play for stakes like that, as that will price out some of the group). But I think these competitive players are as intimidated by The JumpStart of Theseus as new players are by the MTGOVC.

They're subconsciously intimidated by the idea of losing face in public, of losing matches because their finely-tuned competitive heuristics may not give them an edge in a sufficiently casual cube. (When I made Top 64 of CubeCon '22, my pod was whining about playing my friend's amazingly designed lower-power cube for stakes -- the subtext was that they felt unprepared for a draft format that was truly new. Obviously ridiculous at a Cube event where the top prize was a playmat, but I empathize with the underlying needs for social esteem and actualized agency that drive people to that toxic behavior.)

The Ship can't be all things to all drafters. I can raise the variance, cut the Okos, add well-designed synergy threats to make the cube kinder to new players, and even remove the draft portion... and it will work! just, at the cost of competitive appeal. I should know: I have 4 cubes and I now realize they all make tradeoffs like these in favor of new and casual players. (Two of them are lightly designed set cubes -- don't look at me like that.)

So, in the same way that I wrote about "zero-entry pools" for newer players, I am implementing changes to make The Ship of Theseus zero-entry for competitive players.

1. familiar cards and strategies (old heuristics apply)
2. singleton breaks on bread-and-butter effects (less reading)
3. variety through singleton threats (still feels like Limited)
4. opportunity for innovations (i.e., committal synergy decks)

More Lightning Bolt, Shock, and Brainstorm, less Chain Lightning and Portent. Keep the explicit build-arounds but avoid "implicit" combos for now. Long live Murktide Regent.

Hoping this will allow The Ship of Theseus to optimize for nostalgia and familiar gameplay in the same way that Pulp Nouveau optimizes for draft sacrifices and improvisational deckbuilding, or NEO Remixed optimizes for grokkable game pieces and beginner-friendly draft.

My cube may not suit everyone at once, but abandoning that all-or-nothing idealism may end up making it the perfect cube for me.

Full changes: https://cubecobra.com/cube/blog/blogpost/45b695dc-1950-4634-9e6b-0ca7272225d1

As always, thanks for reading.

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator

How to exhaust a cube designer: Spring '24 Update​

I've been quiescent on this cube for nearly a year, with only brief updates. Here's why:

It takes me between 1-2 months to find newly released cards in the binders and bins of my LGS. I try to buy most of my cards from these friends of mine, and I also try to wait out the initial noise in card prices. Sometimes (as with MKM's Surveil lands) I miss the boat and have to shell out for an online order, anyways, but only after I've given up hope of finding them at my LGS.

Meanwhile, it takes me 6-12 months to playtest any new card in The Ship of Theseus. Sure, my local group plays every week, but almost every regular attendee now curates a cube, and I myself have 4(!) to choose from when it's my turn. That's not a lot of playtest data.

Looming over it all: WotC prints a major new product every 2 months.

New cards come out 3-6x faster than I can test them. No wonder I've been in triage mode.

One solution I've implemented has been ignoring 99% of Universes Beyond and any Commander-focused releases. (It's nice not caring.)

But mostly, I've just raised my standards for what earns a new card its berth on The Ship of Theseus. An example:

Look, I like Tenth District Hero. She's not perfect for my list (no reminder text, don't love the 2/3 statline for 2), and the art is middling, but I think it'll play fairly well at this power level.

But in the time it's taken for me to acquire her and update for MKM (Feb '24), OTJ (Apr '24) was fully spoiled. And, what's more, I might not get a single playtest with Hero before MH3 releases (Jun '24), or even Bloomburrow (Aug '24). All 3 of those sets are likely to have {1}{W} threats just as strong as Tenth District Hero (Standard and Modern are insatiable), but perhaps their {1}{W} threats will be more elegant, intuitive, powerful, or aesthetically pleasing. I believe this is likely because of the abundant recent examples of this very phenomenon: Surveil lands supplanting the Restless cycle in Standard, Shoot the Sheriff printed right after Long Goodbye right after The Witch's Vanity right after Bitter Triumph right after...

Why acquire any card I'm only lukewarm on? Recent trends suggest I won't have to wait long for a 10/10 to roll off the presses. Why acquire any expensive new staple? Recent trends suggest a cheaper card that does 90% of the same things will roll along soon, if I don't already have such a card already sleeved in my cube box's maybeboard. In the meantime, if I'm not happy with that slot, I can substitute one of the dozens of recent cuts I have laying around, which are both free financially, and also known quantities in gameplay.

With this realization, I'm down to 2-3 new cards per set. I also test 90% threats, since I don't see much point in endlessly retreading "Doom Blade with marginal upside" when I already own more than enough Doom Blades (and so forth for Brainstorm, Counterspell, Bolt, Shock, Path, Journey to Nowhere, etc).

I'm mostly at peace with this new arrangement. I get to focus my energies on growing my local scene instead of iterating my personal Cube, and that's what it's all about.

Last edited: