My Marvellous/Mediocre Magic Thread

Dom Harvey

Contributor
^split a 3k with this

once again I'm doing terribly at GPs but great at local events, need to figure out how to bridge the gap

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Played the SCG Invitational this weekend; muddled through Day 1 at 5-3, then started Day 2 6-0, lost my win-and-in for T8 on camera (here at 7:27:30), then won my last round (after opponent refused the split!) for T16, $2k, and a qualification for the next Invitational

Went 6-2 in both formats:

Modern (#amuLIT):

Wasn't happy with Rangers + 29th land but Trinket Mage was excellent

Standard (Blue-Red Big Birds):

I chose this deck by default and added the Rekindling Phoenixes (which were fantastic) less than a minute before Standard lists were due, and I don't think the deck is great so 6-2 was a blessing tbh

Dom Harvey

Contributor
important feedback:

vp5yOhI.png

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Made the finals of the SCG team Modern Open in Columbus (watch our semis and finals here starting ~8:23:35):

CJjaLjL.jpg

I twerked my irons with mixed results but we split our losses well and my teammate on Grixis Shadow went 15-3 on the weekend

This is the first Open of the season and this finish puts me in T16 of the leaderboard (giving me 2 byes for Opens as long as I stay there) so I'm tempted to hit up a bunch more and try to make a run

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
How bizarre was it that your teammate also made it to the finals of the event?

I have a hard time making day 2 of any GP, and yet, two people who had made it to the finals of the previous SCG Open manage to meet again at the top tables in a room of hundreds.

Do you feel moderately lucky? Or believe you have crafted the skill for you to consistently hit these milestones?

I am cheering for you man. I hope you make a decent run of it this year. You look like you have the skills to do so.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Highly bizarre!

I have a hard time Day 2ing a GP too, so I definitely feel lucky! But it's hard to evaluate these things objectively, and I have a lot of impostor syndrome. I worry that I'll commit to the grind fully only to realize I don't have what it takes to succeed consistently, but I feel I have to try.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Updates since then:

SCG Indy (new Standard): did not Day 2; Top 32 in the Standard Classic
SCG Balt (Team): did not Day 2; Top 16 in the Standard Classic

SCG Syracuse (Legacy): did not Day 2 but got to put on a nice show (feature matches here/here), then won the Modern Classic with UB Thopter Prison and wrote about it
SCG Regionals (Modern): Top 4 with Amulet
SCG Philly (Modern): did not Day 2, left at 5-2 in the Modern Classic to shave 15 hours off my trip home

The Opens have all gone badly but I've found enough points here to stay on top of the leaderboard as of right now

Updates since then:

SCG Indy (new Standard): did not Day 2; Top 32 in the Standard Classic
SCG Balt (Team): did not Day 2; Top 16 in the Standard Classic

SCG Syracuse (Legacy): did not Day 2 but got to put on a nice show (feature matches here/here), then won the Modern Classic with UB Thopter Prison and wrote about it
SCG Regionals (Modern): Top 4 with Amulet
SCG Philly (Modern): did not Day 2, left at 5-2 in the Modern Classic to shave 15 hours off my trip home

The Opens have all gone badly but I've found enough points here to stay on top of the leaderboard as of right now

Dom stop making me feel bad at magic :p

In all seriousness, it's been really fun to watch someone who's a part of "my"* magic community.

*(I put quotes around "my" since I obviously don't own RTL, but I am a member of the community).

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Finally didn't brick an Open! Finished T16 at the last Open of the season with some BIG PIGS:

See me hooting and oinking in the deck tech or in my feature matches (here at 3:56:18 and here at 5:15:00)

I'm a big long shot to get the Players' Championship invite this season but I have some outs and I'll be in decent shape going into Season 2 if I decide to recommit to that

Dom Harvey

Contributor
it's ya boi

67446925_10161947101015591_3276308500585644032_n.jpg

I lived long enough to see myself become the villain by playing Tron but it turns out that was actually the hero this weekend because Hogaak is nonsense!

- In #1 on the Season 2 leaderboard and back at #1 on the yearly leaderboard
- Tied with Tom Ross for most Open wins in a year (3)
- Tied with a few others for 2nd most Open wins of all time (in 14 attempts to their 36/40/60/66)

See matches here at 6:17:30 and 6:47:20, then here at 3:29:50 and then the whole Top 8 + winner interview from 6:42:40

How are you liking the Legacy format? I think W6 did some cool stuff for it post deathrite ban; we have the 4c greed piles again, but there's no mono-black mana elf fucking up turbo xerox strats. Is playing these Lands type lists where you want to settle in the format?

Reactions: dbs

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Playing against W6 is kinda repetitive by design and it's pushing out the non-blue creature decks which I think need to be playable for the format to have enough variety. The Lands shells are really fun and unique but I'm not sure how good they are. This is only scratching the surface, though; there are enough powerful lands and land tutors that something built around them should be strong

Dom if I wanted to get into legacy what's the best budget deck to build? I want to try D&T because it's one of my favorite decks but I don't have money for a Stoneforge Package, Aether Vials, Wastelands, or Karakas. I could probably get the Ports and Thalias, but that's it for expensive cards.

Dom if I wanted to get into legacy what's the best budget deck to build? I want to try D&T because it's one of my favorite decks but I don't have money for a Stoneforge Package, Aether Vials, Wastelands, or Karakas. I could probably get the Ports and Thalias, but that's it for expensive cards.
Try picking up Dom's mono blue antiquities war list (forces, chalices, Sol lands, Karnstructs). It's really good to be able to play forces AND chalices in one deck, that's unprecedented almost, and you get to play interactive stack based magic, which is the best part of legacy.

The Sol lands might be expensive. Oops, shoulda got into legacy a year or two ago. No time but the present, though.

Do you have any legacy cards already? Some decks have cheap parts and expensive parts, but the expensive parts can be stuff like fetches, or Cavern of Souls or some other modern staples.