N0oh's cube (permanent) rework

Hi guys,

I've reworked my cube. Previous cube : http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/118158
Now my main cube is this one :http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/132390

The power level I aim at is something with a modern-like feeling. There is a bunch of combo and the synergy is rather important, so we usually draft more than 3x15xNbOfPlay cards, and discard at the end of each booster, so we still end up with around 45 cards. Of course, midrangy builds are available.

Exemple of mock draft on cubetutor :

GW aggro from CubeTutor.com

Boros aggro from CubeTutor.com

Gruul beats with melira and punishing combos from CubeTutor.com

Golgari pox from CubeTutor.com

Esper tezzeret/ mentor/ foundry from CubeTutor.com

UR 1000-year storm from CubeTutor.com

UB lab/living death combo from CubeTutor.com

Temur Kiki Oppo Pod from CubeTutor.com

Orzhov lock from CubeTutor.com

Week 9-10-11 Draft Report

I've finished to rework my cube, so we drafted.We drafted at work, so we had to draft once in a lunch time, play some matches in another lunch time, etc... hence the "week 9/10/11" name.
Since we were 6, and we have hard time meeting all together, we did team draft (normal draft but player are seeded in A or B team and the seat are alternated).
Team "Blue" : KLD, JLW and myself.
Team "White" : BLE, DCT and FTE.

My cube is currently 421 cards, so we drafted with 4 packs of 15 but discarded the 4 last in each boosters. this allowed us to see 360 cards, so roughly 86% of the cube total, while having 44 cards at the end of the draft (an idea that comes from here, thanks RL ! ).

The good guys decks
  • KLD : jeskai midrange (went 2-1, losing to DCT)
pics : https://www.noelshack.com/2019-12-4-1553163121-img-20190316-094007.jpg

week 9 : KLD's draft from CubeTutor.com

Weird deck but once online, between walker and ascendancy, you take a really long time to play your turn.
It somehow lacked a reward for ascendancy (aside the boost for the large board. )

• JLW : selesnya aggro (went 1-2)
pics : https://www.noelshack.com/2019-12-4-1553163335-img-20190316-094320.jpg

week 9 : JLW's Draft from CubeTutor.com

He went for some midrange selesnya brew but picked aggro deck quite late. With an aggro optic, the deck would have had a better pool maybe ?
Deck performed poorly but I think it is quite decent.
Some Bygone Bishop triggers were missed, which doesn't help :D.

• Myself : Izzet Storm (went 1-2)
pics :https://www.noelshack.com/2019-12-4-1553163336-img-20190316-095306.jpg

week 9 : N0oh's Draft from CubeTutor.com

Picked a lot of cards for a black pox deck but switched at end of pack 1/beginning of pack 2 because this seems so open (and I was eager to test the archetype).
I could almost build the two decks at the end of the draft.
My un-offical record with the deck (games between round) is better than the official one.
Lost to mesmeric orb turn 2 twice (2-1 overall), who seems a bad match up indeed. Pteramander almost dealt 20 damages in one of those games.
Never copied time warp but had a preordain-bolt-expansion for 15 moment and a lot of fun lines of play overall, including casting triple manamorphose into quadruple explosion for 2.

The bad guys decks
  • BLE : Mono W Artifact (went 1-2)
pics :https://www.noelshack.com/2019-12-4-1553163335-img-20190316-093653.jpg

week 9 : BLE's Draft from CubeTutor.com

Quite happy to see this deck drafted, since half of it is new in the cube list.BLE had faith's reward in sideboard and saw KCI in the draft, but it didn't wheeled as he expected.
Altar of dementia was not used at all, Karn made a lot of Space Marines tokens, and Mimic Vat was the MVP, with wall of omens and flickerwisp and especially with JLW's Triskele under.
  • DCT : Jund Counters (feat Living Death/Griselbrand :) ) (went 3-0)
pics :https://www.noelshack.com/2019-12-4-1553163336-img-20190316-094752.jpg

week 9 : DCT's Draft from CubeTutor.com

The deck that went undefeated. Strong overall, I think the Mod Diamond/Deathrite Shaman/Dark Confidant game contributed a lot to the overall performance.
This deck grew up monster, which is nice but answerable. When the cards flow doesn't stop or when you play first and land Constrictor t1, Managorger hydra t2, it's hard to answer. (I had to play preordain/dismember targetting it twice with Thousand Year Storm to kill it in one game.)
Once, he put Griselbrand into play with Fauna Shaman/Recurring Nightmare.
We never saw Rhythm of the wild into Living Death, which is quite sad !
Living Death also helped answering a Shrine of Loyal Legions/Venerated Loxodon turn form JLW.
Overall, the "outside of the theme" package of the deck secured a few wins when the counter theme went slow/not in the right order.
Nice tip : A naked Pelt Collector trigger twice on an evoked Shriekmaw.
  • FTE : Grixis midrange (went 1-2)
pics :https://www.noelshack.com/2019-12-4-1553163336-img-20190316-095535.jpg

week 9 : FTEs Draft from CubeTutor.com

This deck had mana issue due to poor fixing. I think it's the less refined of the 6 but the discard package into bolas proved to be quite efficient and enough to win a few games. Also, mesmeric orb turn 2 is stong vs Izzet Spells.

Overall, really glad of how it went. Maybe the actual list is a bit light on answer (in blue at least ?).

So now, dear riptiders, i'm looking for suggestions to improve the list :)

Here is another report of a 4 men draft we had. Two of us went 2-1, the two others went 1-2.

[W-15] KLD's draft from CubeTutor.com

Very ambitious deck on the mana base, that's how he lost 1-2 against the gruul midrange deck. He went 2-1 against the control deck in a tense match, and 2-0 against the sultai deck.
I'm still not sure if aggro is overall too strong in my list or if we're just not enough respectfull during draft.

[W-15] N0oh's draft from CubeTutor.com

Went 2-1, lost to the RW aggro deck, in first game I kept a hand with crab and lands, but nothing to start any kind of engine, which made me durdling and losing. Second game was way more interactive but Imposing Sovereign and Thalia are so good at disrupting a deck revolving around Sidisi T_T.
This deck was too fast for the RG midrange deck, and have enough recursivity to go over the UB control deck.
I won twice with lab maniac and the rest of the time with craterhoof behemot.

[W-15] BLE's draft from CubeTutor.com

This deck was quite interesting, we saw Feldon reanmating KikiJiki, cloning both Gearhulks and the excavator/Strip mine/wasteland combo.

[W-15] JLW's draft from CubeTutor.com

This deck pilot is not used to play control, I think his record could have been better but the deck is quite decent. The match versus the RW deck was quite difficult to navigate for both players, from far the most interesting match in all matchs we played.

Overall, this session lessons :
- Maybe nerf aggro, which seems strong. If there is another good record next time, the ban hammer will be used :D .
- Gearhulks are way cooler than titans.
- The sultai dredge deck often used the same line of plays, and ultimately felt a bit repetitive, so I'll watch over to see if there is room to tweek the build in a next draft or if it ends up being the same deck everytime.
- Mimic Vat with Gonti leads to weird situations.

Reactions: dbs
Thanks. For now it has been fine, it produced only once a non-interactive game (t1 hierarch t2 mayor of avabruck t3 opposition is kinda violent).
Oppostion doesn't take a lot to set-up to be quite powerfull, but it still requires a little, and so does a bunch of also poweful cards in my cube. My philosophy, for now, is that either you cut all of those cards (what I don't want to do) or you accept it.

Still, it's on a watch list next to Upheaval, cause people might grow bored of it.

War of the Spark / Modern Horizons changes :

INS :

OUTS:

The goal with this update is to enable some combos deck (that are not totally defined and clear in my head yet, unlike the dredge deck is this cube could be) by throwing cards in and see what happens. I tried to cut a bunch of either generic cards (planeswalker, jadelight, tarmogoyf) or too narrow/weak cards, even in their dedicated archetype (priest of forgotten gods, cunning lethemancer, eternal dragon) while still introducing build arounds cards that fits in the already present themes.

Normally (if i'm satisfied, but can I ?), the next updates will be lighter.

Since last time, I made a few tweeks and migrated to cubecobra, so the changelog is mostly what I add from Throne of Eldraine

ToE Inclusions :

I have good hopes for adventure card. I like Rankle a lot, the haste makes sure (of almost) that you hit once, and the flexibility in the wording.

Upgrade of tormenting voice, which had replaced magmatic insight (the flexibility has been better than the lesser mana cost).

New artifacts build around.

My cube was missing a 'boomerang' effect (on a spell card, at least), which is why I included cyclonic rift previously. I feel a like this one more (maybe it's just because it's new).

Fetchable regrowth-like effect, that can eventually be bounced and replayed (Meloku, Cryptic Command).

Notable Non-ToE Inclusions :

With Urza, Dance of the Manse, Emry, Thopter Foundry already in the cube, I think it's a painless option to add

Tested / Not included :

Non-human clause was painfull. Also, Grumgully, while searchable with Pod, Chord and GSZ, was good in way less deck than Ryhtm of the Wild.

I felt than this and Dreadhorde Arcanist fits the same role than Dire Fleet Daredevil, while being less good overall.
Robber of the Rich and Dreadhorde Arcasnist have higher ceiling but they also are way more hard to get value from, so in the end I kept DFD in this slot.