General (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Testing/Includes Thread

So, this set is a bit of a mess. People seem to like it due to high power level and because it helps out some popular themes, but when I look through the spoiler, it doesn't feel like one, cohesive set to me. We have sagas that flip into enchantment creatures. But also just random enchantment creatures. And artifact creatures that look like regular equipment. Or like regular creatures, but rarely both. We have three showcase frames that aren't really inspiring. There a pieces that indicate it's Kamigawa, but never enough to invoke the feeling that world had, and dominating are the mechs and cyborgs, which I still hate hate hate to see here.

That being said, in a set with brave designs at lower rarities and ninjas, it would be hard to not find anything I like. A handful of cards will join the casual champions cube.

White is THE voltron color in my cube. And this fox is not only a great equipment wielder, but also could be used to reset etbs for the blink theme. Also, I've always dreamed of a white ninja, and this one looks pretty non-futuristic! Thanks wotc!

Nice removal that's also a blink spell, awesome. Also, my friend Willbender prefers that "up to" over "an opponent controls", and so do I.

The two downsides this has are the weird name and the "why is this an enchantment" questions. That being said, a ninja that has a pretty much old school appearance and works nicely as a bridge between blink/ninjutsu, madness and reanimator is too good to not like. Also, enchantment frames in foil look gorgeous.

Another really creative ninja design, another one that works with discard based strategies. The regular artwork is acceptable and I like more ninjas in black anyway.

Here I have to get the showcase version. Sadly, Nezumi Prowler doesn't have an acceptabke artwork. But this one should be plenty strong too, especially on turn two after a 1-drop. That's a 6 point life swing and you're still left with a 3/2 lifelinker!

I want black to have enchantment removal, and this is a slight but strict upgrade over Pharika's Libation, both in power and coolness imo.

I wanted just one more colorless artifact payoff, and that one might just be it. It's also a new Donato Giancola artwork, I always loved his work from earlier magic, so I am stoked to see he's back.

This one's a cool roleplayer for graveyard decks, as those, the slow ones that is, like both, the selfmill and the 3/3 blocker for 3.

Sadly, nothing in red or green. But 7 additions is good average for me. It's around the same as VOW, less than Kaldheim and MID, but more than Strixhaven and AFR.

Last edited:
So, this set is a bit of a mess. People seem to like it due to high power level and because it helps out some popular themes, but when I look through the spoiler, it doesn't feel like one, cohesive set to me. We have sagas that flip into enchantment creatures. But also just random enchantment creatures. And artifact creatures that look like regular equipment. Or like regular creatures, but rarely both. We have three showcase frames that aren't really inspiring. There a pieces that indicate it's Kamigawa, but never enough to invoke the feeling that world had, and dominating are the mechs and cyborgs, which I still hate hate hate to see here.
THIS!

I don't know if I want Lizard Blades. I want it but I don't know if I want it.

It doesn't look like a normal creature so that's probably very confusing. I guess if you take a closer look, you can see that the Lizards are alive and have four feet and the blades are like noses?

THIS!

I don't know if I want Lizard Blades. I want it but I don't know if I want it.

It doesn't look like a normal creature so that's probably very confusing. I guess if you take a closer look, you can see that the Lizards are alive and have four feet and the blades are like noses?

Fwiw, Lizard Blades isn't confusing at all to me. The lightning adds to the "animated weapon" quality....they are propelling themselves through space, but can also clearly be wielded as regular weapons.

Lucky Paper's survey results are in! Big takeaway: this is one of the biggest sets for cube on record for average # of cards tested (it's in my top 3 with Midnight Hunt and MH2!), even if there's not much consensus on what folks are including outside of the top few cards. Sounds about right.

The top card I'm not currently slotting in (but did grab a copy of just in case) was the overly-wordy but delightfully flexible Touch the Spirit Realm, which would have overcome its text density if it hit 'walkers. Next card that I'm not testing on the list is Spirited Companion, a card I'm not interested in at my power level unless I go harder into blink themes.

I was surprised to see Otawara, Soaring City so high on the list (above Takenuma, Abandoned Mire??), as blue has the least room for neat lands. I couldn't keep Hall of Storm Giants in for more than a set, and I think it's just as good if not better as the Kamigawa land. I'm stoked to see so many people trying out Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance, some of our favorite red cards in cube really favor token strategies and it's one I'm always eager to support more.

I haven't gotten my cards for the set yet, but I think it's easy to see this as a great set for cube overall, and it fills a lot of gaps I didn't realize I had in my list with flexible, powerful cards that help shore up multiple archetypes. Can't wait to play with them in paper.

When I was a student 20 years ago, I had a box of these cards (about 20 cards) which were not authentic but China-fake-cards.
At that time, these cards were very hot and expensive in my country. We had to spend 9000 VND (about 3/5 USD that time) for a fake-card box like that (real card was very expensive).
But the school did not let students play it, they said that those cards were gambling-cards. If you had brought cards to school, school would have confiscated them.
In VN, teachers usually teach students at their home (for more income). My box of fake cards was confiscated at my teacher's house. But when the class ended, she gave it back to me. I was so happy, 9000 VND was a lot of money for students, at that time (you could use 5000 VND to pay for a meal). In fact, if it had been at school, I would have lost my cards.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I’m so confused right now.
I still have 16 cards from NEO in my cube, it's one of the most-represented of all expansions. Love the set, thanks for bumping the thread spambot.
20 stuck around for now, which is second place for most represented set, just ahead of the original Eldraine set (18) and a bit behind Wilds of Eldraine (25), but that’s a new set, so those numbers will probably drop. Something tells me Eldraine is my favorite setting of all time though :)

NEO is one of the sets that make my cube possible. 47 cards are still in my list, split between the regular list and the special-guest Commander module.

None of them are in much danger of being cut, although I might replace Eater of Virtue with Tarrian's Soulcleaver.

Even if I were to trim the whole cube down to 360 for some reason, I think at least half of these cards would make the cut. Just a totally sweet stack of exciting cards.