General Niche Pick All in One

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So I think I might cave and add some special rules to drafting my cube (Challenging with customs to not overburden your players)

I've had a lot of requests recently to add niche cards that only really work in one deck (Typically a pet deck of the requester) and basically go 15th pick the other 90% of the time.
My usual stance about these kinds of cards is they just aren't net worth the joy they provide. Cruel Ultimatum is an absurdly strong card, but I've seen (in literally 5+ years of cubing with the card) 4 decks ever to include it, and it's been resolved a total of 5 times. Maybe 6, if you count the one time someone successfully got to 7, but had a mutavault in play he probably shouldn't have been running.

So I'm not a big fan. Buuuuuut there's certainly a joy to these cards, so I'm considering adding a sort of "Utility Land Draft" esque pile, and adding the following cards rather than handing them out separately at the end of the draft.
Proof of Concept.jpg
The cards I'm considering for the pile are as follows:

That's the second wildfire, not the card whole hog.

I'd probably add 3 of these (450 cards), since there's a decent ammount of overlap between these in what deck might want them

Other cards that might work would be birthing pod (No longer in the cube proper, but all the support is probably still there) and possibly Cogwork Librarian.
Librarian I'm a little more iffy about, but it would end up with fewer times where he shows up in the 3rd pack and everyone's kinda disappointed, but it miiiiight just be correct to slam these early, which is basically the opposite of their intended purpose.

You guys have any ideas? I think my cube might be the wrong place for doomsday, but maybe that's not for me to judge :p

I've changed mine quite drastically from the standard cube. I use:
- Utility Land Draft
- Niche Packs (each one has a theme. you pick 3 from the pack at the end of the draft)
- Squadron Picks (1 Pick gets you multiple copies of a card, or a set that works together)

What I suggest is that you make color fixing more accessible so the focus is on creativity. I also feel compelled to remind you that not everyone will like this, but it doesn't matter what they think. If you think this will make you happy, do it. :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
There's a thread floating around called "Utility Everything Draft" that may have some useful ideas here.