No one has posted anything in hours.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The weekend is always slow for some reason. You'ld think people have more free time during the weekend, but apparently they have more to get away from during the week ;)

#boardgames on IRC is the same way. Tons, tons, tons of activity while wage laborers work to earn the right to temporarily own one house, nothin on the weekend. Well except the Drunk T&E Video Hangout crew, but that was only a few months.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I spend much less time at the computer on the weekend. As I imagine most of you do too, judging by our traffic patterns.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Me too, but that's not saying much, considering I work in IT and am behind my computer most of the workday. I usually play some computer games in the weekend, or read the news on my iPad, or prepare for D&D, on my laptop. So, yeah, I spend a lot of time behind a screen during the weekend as well. Checking the forums is easy when you're always online :)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
What a weird drawing style. What a weird conversation style. Fascinating.

It's a good movie. I need to watch it a second time for sure. The problem is it's so full of content that you don't have enough time to consider it at all. I think this is intentional. Linklater seems quite preoccupied with time, and I think "dream time" comes up in the film somewhere. What do we learn from this? No idea.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's a good movie. I need to watch it a second time for sure. The problem is it's so full of content that you don't have enough time to consider it at all. I think this is intentional. Linklater seems quite preoccupied with time, and I think "dream time" comes up in the film somewhere. What do we learn from this? No idea.
I watched the first 15 minutes or so, would have watched more if my lunch break had lasted longer. It's kind of whimsical in its philosophical seriousness. I don't actually know if it's serious, philosophy just sounds serious, but the story is certainly drawn and told in a whimsical, dreamlike style. Disorienting (tables start floating in the background of a conversation), but fascinating. Then again, I enjoyed Sophie's World as well, so maybe I just like philosophical banter :)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I watched the first 15 minutes or so, would have watched more if my lunch break had lasted longer. It's kind of whimsical in its philosophical seriousness. I don't actually know if it's serious, philosophy just sounds serious, but the story is certainly drawn and told in a whimsical, dreamlike style. Disorienting (tables start floating in the background of a conversation), but fascinating. Then again, I enjoyed Sophie's World as well, so maybe I just like philosophical banter :)

Oooh I'm reading that right now. Perhaps I'll watch Waking Life again when I finish it.

Waking life is actually originally filmed, then meticulously drawn over frame by frame. Definitely trippy. Honestly, with all shit floating around constantly I thought it was gunna make me nauseous, but it didn't. Well done Richard Linklater, 10/10.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'm pretty sure we watched Waking Life in my English class in high school. But that was a weird class where we also read Murakami books, acted out internet videos, watched the Friends finale and played Munchkin.

I had a pretty good time in highschool english. Good teachers help a lot. Yours sounds pretty cool.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
She was good, in a way, but people tried to get her fired on multiple occasions. I heard rumors that she always played the race card in her defense as one of our schools only minority teachers. There were also rumors that the principal hid in the ceiling and spied on kids peeing, in order to catch the person who was pissing on rolls of toilet paper.

What I can tell you is that there was very little correlation between the quality of my work in that course and the grades I received. It was the one class where late work was regularly accepted, and sometimes I would come in during my off hour to hang out with classmates who had the course at another time.

I feel kind of weird about it, because on the one hand we got to do lots of fun things and let our creativity flourish, and on the other it seemed to really promote cheating and awful work ethics.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest feeling I have from those years is pushing the boundary of how much we could get away with. The first time you submitted something late, you'd ask for an extension. The next time you'd just leave it on her desk. Eventually people started planning to submit things late without fear of repercussion. Assignments got skipped.

And the whole time you were kind of afraid. Afraid it would catch up to you, that you'd cross some line, that everybody knew probably existed, but nobody knew just where.

One time we did a group book review as an adaptation of Maslaw's Hierarchy of Needs, set to a parody of the script of internet video Doom House, for a book none of us had really read, at least not fully.

Sometimes I still have dreams where the other shoe drops. An exam for a book I opted not to read.

Why, went presented with the option of doing the work with a clear conscience, and slacking through a haze of fear and uncertainty, did we always choose the latter?

Mostly we perceived her as lazy. And her laziness allowed her to be lazy. If she wasn't going to grade things diligently, we were going to slip in paragraphs of lorem ipsum. If she wasn't going to grade them on time, we weren't going to submit them on time.

Did we crave that authority? I think secretly I wanted clear guidelines. These are the rules, this is okay, this is not. But do those exist outside of school and games? Maybe it was a life lesson, but I never saw the repercussions. Maybe we usually don't.

I'm reaching for something but I can't find it.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
But back on topic. I'm at this point again:
Px8blNA.png

POST GUYS

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I post during the weekends because I'm on at work between compiles.

This teacher sounds interesting. Did your assignments (Late or otherwise) ever come back smelling of pot? I had a teacher like that in high school.

first assignment was to redesign an album cover for something you enjoyed. Bit odd for English class, but whatever. I played a lot of magic in that class :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
An exam for a book I opted not to read.
I once passed a German book exam where I read one of the three books the teacher asked me about. I read the chapter titles of the second book, and I read three passages of the third book. The titles were apparently enough to spin the story in my head, and he asked me about those exact three passages, which I had read because they seemed the most interesting while skimming through the book. (I read the rest of the book list I submitted by the way, he picked the exact two books I didn't read. Guess I got lucky after getting unlucky?)