General Nonessential staples? (and Gruul cards)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like hangerback for the aristocrats deck, but if thats not really a thing in your format, I don't think you need him (though a good pod target?)

Sac Hangarback get a 1-drop? Or sac a -1-drop, get Hangarback, morbid trigger?

Aristocrats is very much a thing in my cube, but there's also already so much other shit that can be sacrificed. Maybe I should just make room for some ZEN manlands.

I found Hangarback deeply unimpressive in the recent MODO legacy cube. Mostly it was just Mausoleum Guards. Best case it chumped a little. I started being happy to see it played against me.

I think it could be reasonable with a lot of artifact synergies or in the absence of almost all white removal but I'd play Epochrasite over it in most cases. I don't know, maybe it plays well in sacrifice decks?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I found Hangarback deeply unimpressive in the recent MODO legacy cube. Mostly it was just Mausoleum Guards. Best case it chumped a little. I started being happy to see it played against me.

I think it could be reasonable with a lot of artifact synergies or in the absence of almost all white removal but I'd play Epochrasite over it in most cases. I don't know, maybe it plays well in sacrifice decks?

Epochrasite does have more interesting Pod synergy (in both directions), and it kind of a goofy Cascade target.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Did you never activate it? o_O

I think the silliest hangerback story I've had in my cube was someone had it in a ground stall, then landed goblin bombardment and proceded to plague wind his opponent with like a 7 power arc lightning

Epochrasite does have more interesting Pod synergy (in both directions), and it kind of a goofy Cascade target.

I think you mean amazing cascade target

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Sac Hangarback get a 1-drop? Or sac a -1-drop, get Hangarback, morbid trigger?

Aristocrats is very much a thing in my cube, but there's also already so much other shit that can be sacrificed. Maybe I should just make room for some ZEN manlands.

More sac it get a one drop, make a bunch of flying 1/1s?

Maybe thats a little two filler though for an actual pod deck, and a better fit in the aristocrats package.

Did you never activate it? o_O
I don't think I got to, but my opponents did. Typical pattern was board stall, activate, activate then: Terminus, Sneak Attack, whatever degenerate thing I was doing that deck..
it was a poor threat and no kind of answer. I can see it doing work with aristocrats but by itself it exerts very little pressure and much of the white removal suite takes it out at a huge mana advantage while bypassing the graveyard.

Unrelated: Is Basilisk Collar any good anymore? The only pinger I run is Lavamancer (I think, well, Inferno Titan too a bit). Are people still playing it in your cubes?

I like it, it might be best on a pinger but turning any creature into Vampire Nighthawk is pretty good, and it's also especially good with first strikers. It's cheap enough to play and equip that often you can add value to a turn where you'd otherwise have unused mana. Plus you can fetch it with Trinket Mage!

I do play a lot of pingers though.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What are you even doing with your cube at that point?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, I just know, when I draft Pod, I really want lines like:
Voice -> Kitchen Finks -> Restoration Angel -> Thragtusk
or
Voice -> Blade Splicer -> Nekrataal
or
Voice -> Tuktuk -> Flametongue Kavu

Leaving something behind is very important because we want to accumulate board presence. There are alternatives, of course. Brindle Shoat, Strangleroot, Loyal Cathar, Sultai Emissary, etc., but Voice tends to be the most effective of the bunch.

I'm feeling peer pressure to cut Force of Will now. Is it really that narrow?

As someone mentioned, it's really more for combo or super fast meta's I think. Unless you really want/need a "free" counter, what about Arcane Denial? It is also card disadvantage (so similar to FOW in that regard), but draws you a card too (or three cards if you counter your own spell). It's really good in decks with inevitability and it has random synergy with things like Chasm Skulker et all.

EDIT: And I agree on Gorf. I sold my lone copy for a ridiculous amount of money and have zero regrets.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, I just know, when I draft Pod, I really want lines like:
Voice -> Kitchen Finks -> Restoration Angel -> Thragtusk
or
Voice -> Blade Splicer -> Nekrataal
or
Voice -> Tuktuk -> Flametongue Kavu

Leaving something behind is very important because we want to accumulate board presence. There are alternatives, of course. Brindle Shoat, Strangleroot, Loyal Cathar, Sultai Emissary, etc., but Voice tends to be the most effective of the bunch.

Voice is the only one that starts with a decent body, leaves a decent body, and gives you value while it's in play

I was a tad snarky but it was the way you put it, as though there isnt a pod deck without voice even though voice was printed much later. It's still a strong roleplayer, but it isn't the only one of its kind.

2502995231_421a6a5797.jpg

Aoret

Developer
Lili, Titania, Crucible, Jace, Explosives stay, in that order of priority. I agree with being able to hold out until Jace rotates out of standard. Explosives I could go either way on.

Goyf and Hangerback are shitty and you shouldn't run them anyway. Deluge is sweet but black can run other options (I like damnation and Black sun's zenith and run them alongside deluge).

I like force more than most of you guys but agree that if we're talking about having to actually buy cards, you should just run whatever other counterspell.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
What kind of scumbag passes a post with a picture of Kird Ape and doesn't like it?

I think Liliana is 100% uncutable and Crucible is a lame card.

Force of Will is pretty good in my cube, but its a weird situation because forcing to save a dude with an aura on it is taking a 2 for 1 to stop a 2 for 1, but its a good trade because your protecting your sunk mana and keeping those cards on the table can often quickly recoup the loss (curiosity, an ordeal, just killing them with a 7 power flier). In most cubes its probably rarely worth it. On a related note, Arcane Denial isn't cool.

Stormbind is a great R/G inevitability card, I love it. Atarka's is an asskicking, to the point that I don't run because its asskicking to cost ratio is just too high. I like Domri, but that's another card that probably sucks in most cubes. Great synergy with Top of the Library though!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Good part about Liliana is that triple Innistrad drafts are firing the next couple of weeks for halloween.

Might be able to pick up a Liliana cheaper from a human looking to cashout on his lottery ticket, keep that in mind.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Good part about Liliana is that triple Innistrad drafts are firing the next couple of weeks for halloween.

Might be able to pick up a Liliana cheaper from a human looking to cashout on his lottery ticket, keep that in mind.

Too late, we already bought it. :|

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Stormbind is a great R/G inevitability card, I love it. Atarka's is an asskicking, to the point that I don't run because its asskicking to cost ratio is just too high. I like Domri, but that's another card that probably sucks in most cubes. Great synergy with Top of the Library though!

Problem I have with Domri is that I doubt he'd end up in the same deck as Brainstorm. I could be wrong, but whenever I run Domri I want creatures galore. When I ran 6x Brainstorm and Domri in the same list the "synergy" never actually came together.