General Original Draft Formats, Custom Sets, etc

Does anyone have any hot links to information on these topics? Anyone got a good community of homebrew draft set brewers or some lists to glance at. I'm new to this stuff and I hear things every once in a while but I have no idea where to start looking.

This can be a place to discuss those topics or to compile resources for designers or people looking to play with a bunch of new cards.

It would also be interesting to see some discussion on what defines a cube. Lots of people in comments have a lot to say about people who don't stick to singleton or run errata. It appears that the essence of cube is something people have very strong opinions on and what you are playing with when you've got painlands with basic land types etc.

Not really necessarily.
I think your cube is easily sorta considered that. I feel like cubes are a type of original draft format but yours seems like it breaks enough rules where it feels like you were just making a really neat format with some definite design decisions that you seems to be willing to go out of your way, and work outside the bounds of any sorta previously described format, to achieve.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Really, people's insistence that only "Powered/Unpowered, Power Maximization, Singleton Cubes" count as Cubes baffles me.
every cube is a custom draft format in my eyes, just people seem to be REALLY uncreative with how they go about constructing that.
What is the point in a few hundred thousand people worldwide having what is essentially the same tedious draft environment worldwide?

The fact that you can't summarize what my cube is about in a sentance (Combo cube, powered cube, pauper cube etc) is a good thing, not a bad one.

The idea that I can sit down to draft someone's creative baby, and if they allow themselves to proxy, I can guess what 90% of the environment looks like is atrocious. And when I mark that last ~10% variation as the rantings of those assholes who still consider it a sin to run rakdos cackler in the red section, or pretend to follow their same rigid dogma of exactly balanced guild sections (But unbalance it anyways because kird ape is a red card. No it fuckin isn't, you're the idiot who says we shouldn't be drafting moxen and mons goblin raiders in the same pack, why are you doing it anyways?) it gets worse.

Cube means this because we took too long to make it mean anything other than what Tom LaPille said it ment: Drivel. Remembering all Magic's Mistakes, and none of it's successes. Broken cards, and luck before skill.
Anyone insisting cube have the same narrow definition it's always had it too lazy to step out of their comfort zone and accept that people might want to do it any other way then they way they have.

Things change, and nothing is ever right the first time. Anyone trying to convince you otherwise has a motive.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Long story short: there is a battle over whether the term cube refers to a specific activity (the design, maintenance and playing of draft sets customized for a specific purpose) or a specific format of Magic.

Mr. Taylor eloquently and passionately described where I (and probably most other people on this site) fall on the issue.