General Peasant Power Level

We ought to be able to discuss peasant cube in powered and un-powered terms, although a few of the implications don't translate directly. There is tier of technically-uncommon cards that are usually excluded from even powered peasant lists like Sol Ring and Skullclamp and such.

At higher rarities, 'powered' also implies the availability of combo pieces that bend or break the rules of magic in some way, like trading life for mana or card draw.

There's a lot less of this at uncommon and common, and without planeswalkers, the focus is on creatures. Specifically, it ends up being on etb sticks like these familiar faces:

Uncommon ETB doofuses

etc etc etc ad nauseum

Any peasant list with a critical mass of these will see ETB value generation become the main axis that players compete on. Since casting natural and reliable two-for-ones in the form of creatures is the best thing you can be doing in such a format, we can make a few more assumptions and lay out what the best support for such a strategy is:

Colorless ramp/fixing (you know, Signets!)
and friends

The talisman cycle, for allied colors, has the balance point of colored mana costing 1 life each time, but should serve the same role of skipping the early turns whenever possible. The MTGO Uncommon cube had this kind of meta, where ramping on two outperformed and punished decks that were playing filler attackers on turns two and three.

Not that I would consider these power, but in that cube you could get pretty far with repeatable ways to recur your ETB triggers. Mistmeadow witch, Diabolic servitude, Haunted Crossroads, even Temur Sabertooth.

You would also sometimes pick the following BS over a good etb stick:

Frustrating and or Broken Stuff

What are these lists missing? What else makes up the pantheon of busted uncommon and common candy, in the context of a Ravenous Cloud Drifter meta? And for those of us trying to build a different peasant experience, which pieces of power and nearly-power do you like to spice drafts up with?

Sylvan might be fine, but I've seen a lot of peasant cube owners say they banned it.

Also, who decided the commander anthology 2 set symbol should look almost exactly the same as the dominaria symbol?

Rolling Thunder has ruined every Pauper cube draft I've ever done. It's probably not quite so egregious at Peasant power level, but I'd stay away from it all the same.

Haven't done a ton of Pauper cube but it's definitely not "egregious" at Peasant, not even close. There's a billion bad burn spells at XR that nobody wants or uses, so the only selling point for Thunder is dividing it up to punish aggro decks. But... there it's only particularly worthwhile at 6+ mana, and if you're alive at 6+ mana you've already done most of the hard work.

It's a vastly lower pick than the set-amount dividable burn spells like Arc Lightning and Arc Trail.

More relevant to the original topic, 1-drop aggro does a good bit to limit the power of "ETB.dec", particularly for things with ETBs that don't effect the board -- e.g. if I'm attacking with Jackal Pup, I'm probably pretty upset about Cloudgoat Ranger, but barely care about Mulldrifter.

There's about 1,000,000 two power dudes you can play on T1 in the Mardu colors. Your cube should feature a lot of them, and in OP's CubeTutor link I see... zero?

Sorry, that comes across as glib. What I mean is that in the kind of environment I'm talking about where you jam the popular uncommons and all the signets is super hostile to dedicated aggro decks. The list I link in the signature is not a good example of such a format, but the mtgo uncommon cube or cubetutor 'average' peasant 540 probably are.

The one drop rakdos decks are the best example. You have good red cards, you have a bunch of one drops at vampire lacerator level, the deck looks good on paper but struggles to 2-1. Your Mana fights you the whole way, you have zero card adv so you flood brutally, and even your best starts can't beat the signet into kavu starts.

Just popping in for a second as I don't have time to make a more substantial post at the moment. I dismantled my peasant cube about three years ago, but sharing the last list seems somewhat relevant to this discussion:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13878

I was exploring what a peasant cube environment looked like when using the most liberal definition of uncommon. So old U2s like Old Man of the Sea, Ifh-Biff Efreet were game as well as Italian Renaissance "Uncommons" like Triskelion. The only excluded cards were Sol Ring and Library of Alexandria...and I probably would've ran Library if I'd owned one.

This was prior to my time on here,back when I had a very different methodology in cube design. I still think the environment was pretty fun, tbh....I'll come back to make a more thorough post.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I also used to have a peasant (formerly pauper) cube. It looks pretty similar to inscho's above. I'm not too sure what kind of innovations can be done in peasant. This is the problem with giving things labels. When people say cube, they assume singleton and power-max. At least a lot of work has been done to break down those preconceptions of cube, but now it is just broken down into various other labels...

Power max, non-powered, peasant, pauper. These are the labels that people like to put on their cube to give it an identity, but in actuality, it is just an excuse to have a base framework to work with and all of the lists with these labels become all same-y.

I like what you have done with your peasant cube, trying to break the norms, but I have to ask the question... Why are your going with the restriction of only commons and uncommons? You have already decided to break out of the peasant realm for your manabase, why is that the only exception that can be made?

This was my big realisation with my own cube, as I was mainly doing it for budgetary reasons, but I wasn't happy with the gameplay that my peasant cube was presenting. I felt the need to run things like Grafted Wargear and Cloudgoat Ranger, because that is what my playgroup expected, but wasn't the kind of format I was willing to play. Surely there are some choice rares you can put into your cube and just claim that they were printed online at uncommon at one point and some people would raise an eyebrow, but not claim that 'it shouldn't be in here' if it makes the format better.

But now that I have done my little rant, here are some other cards that haven't been mentioned that I found pretty nuts in peasant:

Why are your going with the restriction of only commons and uncommons? You have already decided to break out of the peasant realm for your manabase, why is that the only exception that can be made?

For some reason this reminds me of the Anton Chigurh bit, 'if the rule you followed brought you to this, then what use was the rule?'

I guess I'd say that even arbitrary restrictions can breed creativity, as long as you remember they are self-imposed and arbitrary. My cube projects tend to evolve from the initial idea into something else, and right now the rarity restriction can be used to remind me of the original goals.

I like the baseline of complexity you get from the uncommons out of SOI, KLD and AKH blocks. WOTC breaks their own rules on plenty of these - Duskwatch Recruiter, many of the Dominaria uncommons - but it's a good place to start.

--------

I was thinking about the mtgo uncommon cube and all the powered lists I was seeing on cubetutor and r/mtgcube. The top-down mindset in peasant leads to some pretty reductive drafts, and there is hardly any room for the designer to get creative, but the gameplay is reliably fun.

I loved the uncommon cube while it was available, but design-wise, it was mostly the usual suspects plus a few hundred pet cards and complete blanks. Unrestricted rarity power cubes feel distinct, in part because there are many archetypes of questionable power that you choose whether or not to support.

So I guess I'm looking into de-powered peasant environments? Something that captures the open-ended ETB engine gameplay, just scaled down in power and prominence to make room for other strategies and a healthy draft meta.