General Playing Modern with Cube

Laz

Developer
Probably a new cube. I have tweaked things too much to diminish effects which are needed in Modern.
Or Junk Pod, with 3 Wastelands, because if all of the cards in my cube are fair game, I am sure as hell going to run the banned ones.

Didn't you do this one time? I recall something about Tribal Zoo, mostly because the mana worked out.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Probably a new cube. I have tweaked things too much to diminish effects which are needed in Modern.
Or Junk Pod, with 3 Wastelands, because if all of the cards in my cube are fair game, I am sure as hell going to run the banned ones.

Didn't you do this one time? I recall something about Tribal Zoo, mostly because the mana worked out.

I did do Tribal Flames Zoo, but there were a number of cards that I ran that were 4x in that deck and only 1x in the cube.

270-something of the cubetutor 360 ( http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/492 ) are legal. But of course you only have singleton.

Ideas that occurred to me:

* Gifts Ungiven + Unburial Rites + Elesh Norn. Because you only need one each of the last two. But if you only have one Gifts it's probably bad.
* Mono R or Boros Aggro. You maybe don't have enough burn and end up with a lot of suboptimal creatures.

But I'd probably go with:

* Abzan Jund-style value deck. You have enough fetches for decent 3-4 color mana. And the fact that your Liliana and your Thragtusk and your Scavenging Ooze and your Dark Confidant are all one-ofs doesn't really matter that much. Batterskull at the top end as a trump in the fair matches. Dismember and Doom Blade and Go for the Throat maybe Path to Exile and whatever other removal you need to run to round it out. The area where you lose out the worst compared to a real Modern deck is hand disruption. Here you only have one Thoughtseize and one Inquisition against combo. But most Modern combo decks are also creature decks so your removal is also relevant. Cut red probably because 1 Lightning Bolt is not 4 Lightning Bolt and the only other things you really lose are Terminate and Grim Lavamancer (Dreadbore, Lightning Helix and Ajani Vengeant?)

Something like:

Things: (24)
Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Dark Confidant
Pack Rat
Shriekmaw
Bitterblossom
Lotus Cobra
Scavenging Ooze
Tarmogoyf
Qasali Pridemage