General Power Outliers: a cube/constructed analogy

landofMordor

Administrator
If a card is banned, is it really broken?

A frequent sentiment during Constructed ban discussions is "Card X got banned for Card Y's sins". In this stream-of-thoughty thread, I'd like to unpack the rhetoric of this statement a bit, to see what we can learn for our Cube designs.

Why does the Constructed metagame matter for my Cube?, I hear you asking. Bans are made in Constructed to change the decks and cards that are most powerful, thereby unlocking additional viable strategies. In the same way, the cards we include in our Cubes will subtly affect the dominant strategies in our Cube metagames, and critical thinking about bans can illuminate those dynamics.

Payoffs banned for the enabler's sins
The worst kinds of bans for Constructed metagames are those that do not actually address the heart of darkness. One of the most notable was the banning of Emrakul, the Promised End from Standard in Summer 2017 -- yes, Emrakul was terrible when cheated into play Turn 4 off of Aetherworks Marvel, but the problem was actually Marvel's mana-cheating ability. Emmy's ban did nothing to the strategy, which just switched to cheating in Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger.

(And even then, Marvel's ban in June 2017 led to the dominance of fair Temur Energy, which was due to the strength of its enablers -- Attune with Aether and Rogue Refiner lent the Energy deck unprecedented consistency and self-contained power in all its incarnations. It turns out these humble-seeming enablers were the problem with Energy all along.)

Another example was the ban of Agent of Treachery from Historic in June 2020. The Winota cheat deck was the undisputed queen of Historic, and the ban of its premier cheat target did... absolutely nothing to affect the deck's metagame share. WotC emergency-banned Winota, Joiner of Forces a week later.

Cube designers can learn an important lesson here: enablers are what determine a deck's power and play patterns. If a format's Reanimator decks are too strong, it's not the fault of Emrakul, the Promised End; it's the fault of Entomb+Reanimate. Replacing Emrakul with Colossal Dreadmaw will do less than replacing Reanimate with Zombify.

Payoffs banned for the staple's sins
A sub-class of the category above is when bans cannot target a power level offender because the offender supports the entire format.

The best example of this is the ban of Wrenn and Six in Legacy. Wasteland is not a fair or balanced Magic card. Contemporary versions of this effect typically involve card disadvantage (Ghost Quarter) or mana payment (Field of Ruin). However, Wasteland is also nearly synonymous with Legacy, in the same way that Mishra's Workshop is synonymous with Vintage. The best way to liberate the Legacy metagame from Wasteland locks is to ban the card that destroys nonbasic lands at a broken rate, just like the best way to prevent turbo artifact decks in Vintage would be a ban of Mishra's Workshop. For sentimental or corporate reasons, Wizards won't do that, and so they ban the next-best thing, the fair card that interacts in a game-breaking way with the broken format staple.

Cube designers can apply this insight to their own formats: If your pet card is causing problems in your Cube, how much are you willing to warp the environment around it? My own pet card, Balance, got the axe long ago so that I could continue to play cards which interact favorably with Balance, such as multiple cycles of fetchlands, but it was one of the harder cuts I've made.

Good bans leading to collateral damage
So far, I've argued that glue cards and enablers are the oftenest cause of broken play patterns. There are no better examples than Faithless Looting and Mox Opal in Modern. During their tenure in Modern, Opal and Flooting were the centerpiece of many, many, many Tier One decks -- Lantern Control, Mardu Pyromancer, about four different incarnations of Dredge and Dredgevine, Affinity, Hardened Scales, Whirza, and Hogaak, to name a few. Along the way, of course, they also allowed a wide variety of FNM decks and casual Modern decks to punch above their weight class, from Ensoul Artifact aggro to my homebrewed versions of 2014 Izzet Blitz (and no, this was never a real deck). This led to no small degree of outrage when Opal and Looting were banned, because of the "collateral damage" of the bannings which trickled down to casual players like myself.

Unfortunately, unlike the Emrakul, the Promised End banning, some cards deserve their bans. This is the case with the troublemakers of Flooting and Mox Opal; the former card allows the player to see their best cards extremely consistently in a color normally unable to do so, and the latter card cheats the fundamental mana system of the Magic game engine. (Most of Magic's healthiest bans target cards which violate one of these two axes.) Sure, casual players would steal fair wins with their janky decks, and some Tier 2 strategies were enabled by Flooting and Opal, but at high levels of Modern play, the cards choked format diversity and deckbuilding agency. In short, when these cards were dominant, it was a strategic error not to play or maindeck these powerful enablers (a wild overstatement offset in Constructed by metagame considerations, but this exaggeration will make the analogy to Cube more clear).

In Constructed and Cube alike, broken cards are the commonest build-arounds. Above-rate cards will get drafted earlier, maindecked more often, and will generally form the backbone of a Cube format in the same way FLooting did in Modern. It will lead to more win percentage t If you want to support a certain synergy in your cube, try giving it a few juicy power outliers for your format. It doesn't have to be the Power 9; it just has to be contextually strong -- in my Peasant cube, Nightveil Specter and Siege-Gang Commander serve this role quite nicely for their respective colors.

Cards banned for their play patterns
On the other hand, sometimes power outliers warp formats around them even when they're not broken. Oko, for example, is not a more busted card that Force of Will or Wasteland -- after all, it costs infinitely more mana than those two options -- and in fact singlehandedly enabled the resurgence of fair blue-green Legacy decks. Uro performed a similar role in Modern. However, the repetitious nature of their play patterns led to these cards' demise, simply because they weren't fun to see all the time, and they weren't fun to lose to.

This establishes a spectrum for the insight in the last section: power outliers can also lead to repetitive gameplay. This effect is exaggerated if the cube only has one bomb at the level of Oko, as opposed to running a full stable of bombs. Another factor is how large the power delta is -- Uro will be much more egregious in a Theros block cube than a power-maxing unrestricted cube. Still a third factor is how many deckbuilding costs are imposed by the broken card -- Lurrus of the Dream-Den decks will tend to feel much more homogenous than Uro decks due to deckbuilding constraints, thereby reducing the diversity of drafted decks.

In Summary:
- Enablers are what determine a deck's power and play patterns
- A payoff may seem broken, but it's just as likely the enabler's fault
- Power outliers are built around more frequently than other cards, but this can lead to repetitive draft/gameplay/deckbuilding decisions
- Power outliers can create collateral damage -- is it worth warping the environment around them?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how the concept of power outliers applies to your format. (For the sake of a mutually beneficial discussion, bear in mind that we Riptiders have variable definitions of what constitutes our formats' power outliers, and that's one of the strengths of this community.)

PS -- shoutout to Dom and Jason for sparking this thought in my brain during their latest podcast episode.
PPS -- Edits thanks to SirFunchalot, Dom, et al. Thanks for your thoughtful input!

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nice article @landofMordor! Tangentially, I believe there are certain cards that scale with the power level of your cube. For example, Snapcaster Mage is one of the power outliers in my cube, but since it is gated by the quality of instants and sorceries in your environment, the power delta isn't as big as you would imagine.

Another point worth discussing I think is individual card quality vs. synergy. In a previous cube, I've had to nerf the +1/+1 counters theme in {G/W} twice, because it consistently overperformed compared to my other archetypes. None of the cards really were of notable individual card quality, neither enablers nor payoffs were power outliers, rather the archetype's density was too high. When trying to tweak the relative power of an archetype in your cube, whether you need to tone it down or crank it up, I think looking at the density is as important as looking at power outliers.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I am generally interested in testing some of the infamously banned cards in a cube environment. I've heard people say that Uro isn't that absurd, for example. Generally I expect cards with a high raw power level (e.g. Oko) to be more problematic than cards whose power is very deck/context dependent (e.g. Mox Opal). I've run Mox Diamond since pretty much the beginning of my cube and not run into issues.

That said, when I tested Hogaak is seemed pretty trivially easy to get it into play.

To me an important consideration is also how it feels to play against certain cards. How miserable are they when left unanswered? I've cut many cards recently because they provide obscene value when left unchecked. High-floor, absurd ceiling cards can be problematic because they open the door to running away with games while not even providing any risk or constraints on the caster.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

Good bans leading to collateral damage
So far, I've argued that broken glue cards and enablers are the oftenest cause of broken play patterns. There are no better examples than Faithless Looting and Mox Opal in Modern. These two troublemakers are simply broken on rate, and during their tenure in Modern were the centerpiece of many, many, many Tier One decks -- Lantern Control, Mardu Pyromancer, about four different incarnations of Dredge and Dredgevine, Affinity, Hardened Scales, Whirza, and Hogaak. Along the way, of course, they also allowed a wide variety of FNM decks and casual Modern decks to punch above their weight class, from Ensoul Artifact aggro to my homebrewed versions of 2014 Izzet Blitz (and no, this was never a real deck). This led to no small degree of outrage when Opal and Looting were banned, because of the "collateral damage" of the bannings which trickled down to casual players like myself.

As a thought experiment, what if WotC kept the broken enablers in the Modern format, instead banning the payoffs: Prized Amalgam, Narcomoeba, Lantern of Insight, Vengevine, Arcbound Ravager, Hardened Scales, Urza, Lord High Artificer, Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis, and Young Pyromancer? My pet Blitz deck may continue to exist, sure -- but the Tier One metagame has simply gotten a slap on the wrist for their premier effects, without changing the play patterns of the format or the dominant strategies. They've gone from playing Aetherworks Marvel to Bristling Hydra, so to speak, but the fundamental brokenness of the enablers means that the cards will continue to contribute to reduced metagame diversity and unhealthy play patterns.

I don't follow the argument here. You do a good job of highlighting the diversity that Looting and Opal brought to the format but then seem to elide all those decks together. Look at the various Opal decks for example:

Affinity - Iconic, old-school aggro deck (with some combo elements)
Hardened Scales - Aggro-combo deck blending artifact and counter synergies
Whir Prison - Toolbox prison deck searching for single bullets to OHKO opponents
Lantern - Combo prison deck assembling a web of lock pieces
Whirza - Toolbox midrange deck? Roughly the artifact equivalent of the old Kiki-Chord decks
UG Urza - All the busted cards in one deck

Then more marginal:
Cheerios - Pure combo
Dice Factory - Wacky ramp/combo

Or extinct:
KCI - Pure combo

Or didn't exist yet but surely would have played Opal if they could:
Colossus Hammer - Combo-aggro

It's hard to identify a common play pattern between those decks, let alone an unhealthy one. You could argue that's part of the issue with fast mana - it doesn't matter what you do with it, it just makes everything better - but Opal has a significant deckbuilding cost and Opal decks look very different from non-Opal decks. The deck that eventually got Opal banned - UG Urza - wasn't even a 'good' Opal deck and had three more cards eventually banned from it (Oko, Astrolabe, Mystic Sanctuary) which were far more responsible for its success.

landofMordor

Administrator
I don't follow the argument here. You do a good job of highlighting the diversity that Looting and Opal brought to the format but then seem to elide all those decks together. Look at the various Opal decks for example:

Affinity - Iconic, old-school aggro deck (with some combo elements)
Hardened Scales - Aggro-combo deck blending artifact and counter synergies
Whir Prison - Toolbox prison deck searching for single bullets to OHKO opponents
Lantern - Combo prison deck assembling a web of lock pieces
Whirza - Toolbox midrange deck? Roughly the artifact equivalent of the old Kiki-Chord decks
UG Urza - All the busted cards in one deck

Then more marginal:
Cheerios - Pure combo
Dice Factory - Wacky ramp/combo

Or extinct:
KCI - Pure combo

Or didn't exist yet but surely would have played Opal if they could:
Colossus Hammer - Combo-aggro

It's hard to identify a common play pattern between those decks, let alone an unhealthy one. You could argue that's part of the issue with fast mana - it doesn't matter what you do with it, it just makes everything better - but Opal has a significant deckbuilding cost and Opal decks look very different from non-Opal decks. The deck that eventually got Opal banned - UG Urza - wasn't even a 'good' Opal deck and had three more cards eventually banned from it (Oko, Astrolabe, Mystic Sanctuary) which were far more responsible for its success.
Excellent points. And thanks for adding nuance (and more cool deck examples!) to what was surely my most stream-of-thought paragraph in the original post.

My point is that, despite the diversity, all these decks played Opal. Opal does have a significant deck-building cost, but its power was well worthwhile (in Constructed at least), ensuring that a long history of Tier 1 Modern decks had to play Opal or suffer the consequences.

Now, I'm not enough of a Constructed expert to know whether that dynamic was ultimately healthy -- perhaps the word "unhealthy" was a reach in the original post for this reason. But for Cube, I think we can describe "health" w.r.t. the designer's goals. I'm fascinated by the idea that power outliers have a tension: they might increase deck diversity by giving suboptimal/undersupported/hidden archetypes a big boost of power/consistency, BUT they also carry requirements with them that may get repetitive to the draft and gameplay of a Cube.

To close the loop on Mox Opal: I know it's hard to build around in Cube, but let's imagine an environment where it's easy to get Metalcraft and there are non-singleton Opals. Sure, Opal will let a wide variety of artifact-adjacent decks exist, but to unlock that gameplay power, drafters will need to draft every Opal they see, ensure they hit their artifact thresholds to turn on Metalcraft, and also pay the opportunity cost of giving up alternate strategies. In other words, the power of Opal will funnel drafters into an Opal deck more often than not, which might run counter to the curator's goals.

(In my real format, the analogy is Uro and Oko. I love that they singlehandedly make UGx highly draftable, but simultaneously somewhat resent that almost every UGx deck in my format contains one of these two... I've yet to resolve this tension, but it really interests me.)

landofMordor

Administrator
Nice article @landofMordor! Tangentially, I believe there are certain cards that scale with the power level of your cube. For example, Snapcaster Mage is one of the power outliers in my cube, but since it is gated by the quality of instants and sorceries in your environment, the power delta isn't as big as you would imagine.

Another point worth discussing I think is individual card quality vs. synergy. In a previous cube, I've had to nerf the +1/+1 counters theme in {G/W} twice, because it consistently overperformed compared to my other archetypes. None of the cards really were of notable individual card quality, neither enablers nor payoffs were power outliers, rather the archetype's density was too high. When trying to tweak the relative power of an archetype in your cube, whether you need to tone it down or crank it up, I think looking at the density is as important as looking at power outliers.
Hm, yeah... have any Constructed decks ever been banned for being too consistent? I get at that idea with the enablers being the frequent source of bans, since enablers are what lend decks their consistency (this is why there are a LOT of cantrips banned in Modern). My guess is that you didn't see any +1/+1 broken enablers because your list is (presumably) singleton, whereas Constructed gets to run 4x Attune with Aether, 4x Rogue Refiner, etc etc -- and even more tellingly, the Modern decks used to run 4x GitProbe/4x Ponder/4x Brainstorm or whatever.

Laz

Developer
Has Brainstorm ever been Modern legal?
Preordain is your 'or whatever' here - but now Brainstorm is Historic legal, so who knows?

As an aside, the Modern Preordain and Ponder bans - for promoting 'too much consistency' - are pretty well irrelevant for Cube, which is incredibly inconsistent by its very nature.

landofMordor

Administrator
Preordain is your 'or whatever' here - but now Brainstorm is Historic legal, so who knows?

As an aside, the Modern Preordain and Ponder bans - for promoting 'too much consistency' - are pretty well irrelevant for Cube, which is incredibly inconsistent by its very nature.
I'm not sure that's strictly true. 40 card decks are more consistent than 60-card ones (all else equal), so I think you're primarily referring to Singleton leading to inconsistency. However, I run like 3-5 Brainstorms just for the art, and 3 cycles of fetchlands (and I know i'm not the only Riptider to break singleton, either!). Brainstorm is one of the best enablers in the game, so it's actually on my watchlist to see if it's too powerful.

But more generally, the whole point of enablers in Magic is to make a gameplan more consistent. Llanowar Elves make your 3mv plays more consistent; Brainstorms make your land drops more consistent; reanimates make your Emrakul more consistent. Maybe I need more clarification there to understand your point.

Stuff Parker said

First a small nitpick, wizards originally banned Emrakul the Promised End before they banned Aetherworks Marvel, which I think is much more the case of banning the payoff not the engine. Marvel is more akin to your example of Reanimate vs Zombify insofaras it is the card that is allowing decks to cheat giant monsters into play at too strong of a rate.

As far as cards that actually harmed the competitive balance of formats and deserved their bans purely on power level reasons (many bans are not done for this reason), I think they fall into a few distinct camps:

1) cards that give too much consistency:

These are cards like Brainstorm, Faithless Looting, Golgari Grave Troll, Sensei's Divining Top, and Imperial Seal

Oftentimes the biggest balance offenders are the cards that simply let decks see their most powerful cards more consistently and while these cards are sometimes used in fair contexts (like Faithless Looting enabling Mardu Pyromancer) the opportunity for unfair decks (Faithless Looting in Modern Dredge) to leverage them to do broken things significantly more reliably is often higher . Consistency enablers are often the thing I most see players underrate the power of as they're less obviously broken than some of the flashier cards, but having access to your strongest cards in various situations is a profoundly powerful thing and one at that wizards is acutely aware of as a lot of banned cards fall into this camp.

2) cards that cheat the mana system:

stuff like Chrome Mox, Seething Song, Tolarian Academy, Tinker, Fires of Invention, and Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis

The next easiest way to wind up getting booted out of a format is by breaking the mana system of the game. Players are supposed to develop a single mana source per turn for the first few turns, and about every other turn in later stages of the game. Cards that allow players to cheat this normal cadence either by being extremely cheap sources of direct mana (rituals, moxen) or by allowing players to bypass costs (cheat spells) tend to be some of the most routinely broken cards in the game. Most cards are balanced around their mana costs and with that the turn in which players are "supposed to" be able to play them should be a a reflection of that, but cards that break the mana system often lead to this balancing mechanism breaking down and that's where unfair things happen. Storm being broken isn't really Tendrills of Agony's fault, it's Dark Ritual and Lion's Eye Diamond's fault.

landofMordor

Administrator
First a small nitpick, wizards originally banned Emrakul the Promised End before they banned Aetherworks Marvel, which I think is much more the case of banning the payoff not the engine. Marvel is more akin to your example of Reanimate vs Zombify insofaras it is the card that is allowing decks to cheat giant monsters into play at too strong of a rate.

As far as cards that actually harmed the competitive balance of formats and deserved their bans purely on power level reasons (many bans are not done for this reason), I think they fall into a few distinct camps:

1) cards that give too much consistency:

These are cards like Brainstorm, Faithless Looting, Golgari Grave Troll, Sensei's Divining Top, and Imperial Seal

Oftentimes the biggest balance offenders are the cards that simply let decks see their most powerful cards more consistently and while these cards are sometimes used in fair contexts (like Faithless Looting enabling Mardu Pyromancer) the opportunity for unfair decks (Faithless Looting in Modern Dredge) to leverage them to do broken things significantly more reliably is often higher . Consistency enablers are often the thing I most see players underrate the power of as they're less obviously broken than some of the flashier cards, but having access to your strongest cards in various situations is a profoundly powerful thing and one at that wizards is acutely aware of as a lot of banned cards fall into this camp.

2) cards that cheat the mana system:

stuff like Chrome Mox, Seething Song, Tolarian Academy, Tinker, Fires of Invention, and Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis

The next easiest way to wind up getting booted out of a format is by breaking the mana system of the game. Players are supposed to develop a single mana source per turn for the first few turns, and about every other turn in later stages of the game. Cards that allow players to cheat this normal cadence either by being extremely cheap sources of direct mana (rituals, moxen) or by allowing players to bypass costs (cheat spells) tend to be some of the most routinely broken cards in the game. Most cards are balanced around their mana costs and with that the turn in which players are "supposed to" be able to play them should be a a reflection of that, but cards that break the mana system often lead to this balancing mechanism breaking down and that's where unfair things happen. Storm being broken isn't really Tendrills of Agony's fault, it's Dark Ritual and Lion's Eye Diamond's fault.
Oh yeah, that's totally right about Emmy! I remembered the multiple Energy-related bannings but got the order slightly wrong. I'll update the original post

I absolutely agree r.e. your #1 here. Consistency enablers are severely underrated in general. For Cube design, one way to subtly jack up the power level of a cube is to swap out all your Divinations for Opts, and even though it won't "feel" more powerful you'll actually be seeing your bombs way more often.

And I also agree with #2. I guess this falls into "good bans leading to collateral damage" as I classified it. It's definitely a good thing Fires was banned from Standard, but it did mean that I couldn't use that mana-cheating to steal wins with my janky Gray Merchant of Asphodel Jimothy nonsense pet deck.

Your comment provides some excellent nuance regarding what constitutes a "good ban", thank you!

I do think there are plenty of other totally legitimate and good reasons to ban cards other than just their individual power level and influence on a metagame. Stuff like Uro is banned for having extremely repetitive gameplay patterns and being too popular a win condition across too many formats making too many eternal formats feel too similar, Ante cards are banned for introducing gambling (which is illegal in many places), the racist cards being banned for being well... racist, Shahrazad banned for making games last way too fucking long, Chaos Orb is banned for not only being uncompetitive and highly random (like Tibalt's Trickery, another banned card) but also for being ableist and inherently disadvantaging players with physical limitations. I think these are all good bans to make from WotC's perspective even though I think Uro did nothing wrong

landofMordor

Administrator
For sure! A good and necessary purpose of bans is to shape Magic into a better game in all possible aspects, including the real-world impact of the game system.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Chaos Orb is banned for not only being uncompetitive and highly random (like Tibalt's Trickery, another banned card)
Wasn't the whole problem with Tibalt's Trickery that it wasn't random enough, but instead used in combo decks to cheat out big permanents way too reliably for 2 mana? In formats where that wasn't supposed to happen. Edit: I think it neatly fits in the category of cards that are banned because they cheat the mana system, in fact.

Wasn't the whole problem with Tibalt's Trickery that it wasn't random enough, but instead used in combo decks to cheat out big permanents way too reliably for 2 mana? In formats where that wasn't supposed to happen. Edit: I think it neatly fits in the category of cards that are banned because they cheat the mana system, in fact.
No. TT has a fairly low success rate of actually pulling off its combo, to my knowledge it was banned because players simply don’t want to play against a deck that can turn 2 emrakul, even if it isn’t a reliable or high win percent strategy. The deck is still legal in Historic for the time being as payoffs are much less lethal.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Trickery is banned in Modern, where you actually can 'go off' with it fairly consistently but it's highly volatile and just a miserable play experience all around. Casual Arena players really really want it gone in BO1 Standard though

I have a draft for an article somewhere that says the four most common game-breaking effects in card games are:

1) Bypassing costs
2) Card draw and relatives, like tutoring
3) Non interactivity
4) Recursion

The specifics might vary, but this covers the vast majority of cards in every card game ever created. I could show you cards which are banned in other games and you'll know exactly why they are busted. The exceptions are extremely few, you'll find very few cards banned for being too good at turning sideways, for example.

Wizard will choose to ban cheap cards over cards that push sets and they are willing to entertain poor balance if it helps them to sell packs. To me it's not a design issue.

Another detail is also that Wizards almost never ban a card while the packs are still being sold/the set being the most recent one.

There are very few exceptions in the history of the game.

landofMordor

Administrator
Wizard will choose to ban cheap cards over cards that push sets and they are willing to entertain poor balance if it helps them to sell packs. To me it's not a design issue.
I don't disagree with your 4 categories, but this statement has me scratching my head. Yes, I agree that corporate/economic interests sometimes override format health (Eldrazi Winter, anybody?) but even if bans are delayed or whatever, ostensibly they're made for format balance and health. Even then, my original post is not arguing that the act of banning is something we should do in Cube; I'm saying that we can generalize some useful Cube insights from studying the metagames of Constructed formats which have experienced bans.

Cubes are a Limited format, and the decks-not-cards approach of many RTL designers even means that their cubes approach levels of complexity akin to a Constructed metagame, which is where insights about power outliers and game-warping enablers is relevant, IMO.