Article Primeval Stronghold (Playsession Report)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I find Deed ending up in my SB more and more often now. It's sad, since I love the card, but its best days are behind it.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
This article reminds of me two things:

1) Your cube looks hilariously fun to play even though its pretty far removed from what I typically enjoy.
2) I really don't like tutors.

I tend to draft lands/fixing higher than the average player just like the BUG player did here.
Also seeing Primal Command again made me think about making the change you did... Primal in for Plow Under. I personally tend to like cards that can do multiple things.

That looks like a great deck. I like cubes where a deck like that can feel powerful. I might have wanted a duress or something.

For the record I love tutors.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I felt bad about the last game. getting thight on land is not the way to battle the lands deck ;)

Jason's deck was pretty darn strong though!

Don't sell yourself short. It looks like you had some hot shit going on there yourself. Jason recapped your games and tells me you pulled off some insane plays, including killing him from 10 life with some sweet sacrifice tricks when he thought he'd stabilized behind a Grave Titan!

For the record, I like your sweet synergistic deck way more than Jason's durdly durdles. ;)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to draft lands/fixing higher than the average player just like the BUG player did here.
Also seeing Primal Command again made me think about making the change you did... Primal in for Plow Under. I personally tend to like cards that can do multiple things.

Well, Primal Command can do half a Plow Under + Tutor for your best dude, which seems like reasonable value.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
wait wait wait
how did I miss that you have a Pawn of Ulamog in your list?????

how was for you, Hannes? / how has it been for you in general, Jason?

seconded :)

Pawn of Ulamog is really fun and powerful when things go right. There are a ton of ways to make things die and to utilize Eldrazi spawn in my cube. That said, it doesn't always get played and is pretty undesirable in a general "good stuff" deck, but I'm fairly happy with his role.

wait wait wait
how did I miss that you have a Pawn of Ulamog in your list?????

how was for you, Hannes? / how has it been for you in general, Jason?

seconded :)

I loved it. Essentially doubles all of your "sacrifice a creature" effects, with huge gain as the result . Added bonus is some mana when you need it, but it's best performance was feeding the carrion feeder !

Don't sell yourself short. It looks like you had some hot shit going on there yourself. Jason recapped your games and tells me you pulled off some insane plays, including killing him from 10 life with some sweet sacrifice tricks when he thought he'd stabilized behind a Grave Titan!

For the record, I like your sweet synergistic deck way more than Jason's durdly durdles. ;)

I very rarely draft any bomb's, and mostly depend on synergies and removal when drafting, because i like winning by grinding out or "making an effort".
(yesterday i drafted a bubbling cauldron/trading post/angelic accord deck wich i'm gonna boost to 60 and play at gameday as well, making it my last performance for my playset thragtusks and restoration angels.)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Too easy? Probably not. A "vanilla" 3/3 for 3 isn't terribly appetizing. Even Wolfir Avenger was pretty bad.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I know, well, they'd be more likely, certainly. The black 3-drop slot is super weak. I imagine "regular decks" are still far more into Vampire Nighthawk and Bone Shredder, and even those aren't so great.

Yeah when I'm dreaming up cards I think it's really sad I'm trying to design 3 drops that aren't better than nighthawk. It's like you know someone on some forum out there is going to tell you about how nighthawk is the best and you're going to remember that and you'll feel sad.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm pretty happy not having Reanimator in my cube. It's kind of a one-or-the-other thing, as I want to play Entomb and friends for the black aggro stuff, and don't want hyper-consistent reanimator floating around. You can still get cool decks like this one, just have to be a bit more creative.

I really like UBW or UBG or BG sorta control reanimator decks. Very mild fatty cheating potential but also just getting some extra play out of that stuff that ends up in your graveyard, your value creatures and your fatties all get a one up or two that you will usually not wish isn't just another fatty instead of the reanimation spell.