General Prince Renathal

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
1660224313541.png

Probably most cubes don't need more control tools, but this is a super clean, well-designed card from a Magic-adjacent game.

I also think for cube purposes that wording on cards (especially custom cards) can be much cleaner. Obviously there's a MTG companion with similar effect, but I don't think it's 8 words of rules text.

View attachment 7216

Probably most cubes don't need more control tools, but this is a super clean, well-designed card from a Magic-adjacent game.

I also think for cube purposes that wording on cards (especially custom cards) can be much cleaner. Obviously there's a MTG companion with similar effect, but I don't think it's 8 words of rules text.
This is Magic's version of the quick token wordings now when conjured into the hand. Not quite as clean but pretty clean.

Prince Rentacube 2B
Creature- vampire noble
If Prince Rentacube is in your starting deck, your starting deck size and life total are increased by 10.
3/4

Alernative formatting to make it a little easier:

Prince Vanguardcube
Vanguard
+10 starting life
+10 starting deck size

Add 1 Lil' Ren card to your draft pool. Your deck must include 1 Lil' Ren card.

(Lil Ren
{3}
Creature--Human Noble
3/4)

Or

Prince Renathal, Noble Companion
{3}
Creature--Human Noble
Companion--Your starting deck size must contain 50 cards or more.
When you reveal Prince Renathal as your companion, your life total becomes 30.
3/4

Alernative formatting to make it a little easier:

Prince Vanguardcube
Vanguard
+10 starting life
+10 starting deck size

Add 1 Lil' Ren card to your draft pool. Your deck must include 1 Lil' Ren card.

(Lil Ren
{3}
Creature--Human Noble
3/4)

Or

Prince Renathal, Noble Companion
{3}
Creature--Human Noble
Companion--Your starting deck size must contain 50 cards or more.
When you reveal Prince Renathal as your companion, your life total becomes 30.
3/4
I'd probably price him 1WU, having Yorion as precedence. Lifegain should be a white effect and the larger library blue so that would fit imho.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'd probably price him 1WU, having Yorion as precedence. Lifegain should be a white effect and the larger library blue so that would fit imho.
If you want to use Yorion as precedence for this design, you have to look not only at the drawback (which is the increase in decksize), but also at the reward. Yorion gave you a flyer that blinked your team, both in pie for {W} and {U}. In the case of Prince Renathal, the reward is the padded life total, which isn't in pie for {U} at all. If you want to put a color on Prince Renathal (which Hearthstone doesn't do on purpose, by the way, so every class has access to this effect and can build a control deck), it should be mono white. The padded life total would be in pie for both {W} and {G}, but {G} isn't usually associated with the control style decks Prince Renathal wants to enforce.

Prince Renathal_s.jpg

I think he should be colorless, precisely because that means you can try to be a control deck in any color. Not sure about the 60 card deck in draft though, that means you need ~36 playable nonland cards out of the 45 drafted.

I think making it colorless is too good in general. Precisely because any deck could use him I would give the card a color identity. Restriction breeds creativity. As a companion with the only restriction of 10 added cards it seems too good imho.

Last edited: