Reject Rare Cube

Howdy,

I have been tinkering with this list for months now, and i am half way through on getting all the cards in this cube. I accept cards that are rares by gatherers standards, so for instance Fyndhorn Elves is fine, since it is mythic in vault 20 ;)

The idea is to find amazing synergies with less than amazing cards.
Games should be slower paced, so you have more time to brew crazy strategies.
There are some real cards among the garbage, to avoid games being just "i'll play this 2R 1/1, pass turn"
Removal is a little better than the creatures, so you can interact with the board when you are behind.
Lands are the same as in my "normal" cube, so double fetches, duals and shocklands etc

I will be testing this format at my friends bachelor party which is a month away, so i still have some room for changes.

But here is the list (720 again, the horror!) :

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/35284

My gut instinct is that it would be a million tons better to try this at 360, since it's much easier to make an actual format that way. Reject Rare seems to be that kind of whacky might-not-do-anything.dek format. It'll probably be fun, but to make it a little bit less shotgun feel and "I sleeved my binder", maybe try cut it down with a very big scalpel?

edit:

RB Reject Goblins from CubeTutor.com

also here's a goblin deck I forced! I think it'll be a better experience brewing really weird decks if there is, like I stated earlier, more focus. That way you can actually speculate more on cards and it become less of a coin flip if you end up with a deck.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I think the fixing should also be weird. If all the other cards are suboptimal, I don't think it would feel right to run double fetches, duals, and shocks. You can still have good fixing without these. There are tons of rare duals! If your format isn't so fast you'll fine anyway. I would definitely run painlands, fastlands, maybe filterlands (eventide or odyssey), maybe those creature-type lands, future lands, god forbid depletion lands, probably not the slow pain lands, temples.

or other random ones:

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I once played a reject rare draft where everyone brought 45 bad rares, which most people interpreted as dollar bin rares. Much to my surprise I opened a Yawgmoth's Will in pack two :). I ended up with a lovely Grixis concoction with two Stuffy Dolls and two Blasphemous Acts :D

I did a reject rare draft like this once. It was crammed full of limited bombs! It was so overpowered! Apparently people didn't have enough crap lying around. Makes me miss the old days of bad rares.

I have cut down the list a bit, but it will probably stay at ~600 for now just to get a feel of what this cube offers. I took most of the tribals off since they felt a little bit too forced, goblins seems to be a real deck in this format and wizards has some synergy with other wizards.

I'm on a vacation in Hong Kong at the moment and i don't have a pc here, so my responses will be limited for now, but thanks for the replies so far!

Finally back home.

I made some adjustments to the list and now i am ready for my first draft with it, hopefully this weekend.
http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/35284

I added scry lands to the mix, since it seemed there weren't enough lands as it is, but now the amount should be acceptable.

I think the fixing should also be weird. If all the other cards are suboptimal, I don't think it would feel right to run double fetches, duals, and shocks. You can still have good fixing without these. There are tons of rare duals! If your format isn't so fast you'll fine anyway. I would definitely run painlands, fastlands, maybe filterlands (eventide or odyssey), maybe those creature-type lands, future lands, god forbid depletion lands, probably not the slow pain lands, temples.

I thought about this, but i think i rather have less non-games due to crappy manabases.
Not getting fetches would hurt the experience more if you go for more colors...

My gut instinct is that it would be a million tons better to try this at 360, since it's much easier to make an actual format that way. Reject Rare seems to be that kind of whacky might-not-do-anything.dek format. It'll probably be fun, but to make it a little bit less shotgun feel and "I sleeved my binder", maybe try cut it down with a very big scalpel?
also here's a goblin deck I forced! I think it'll be a better experience brewing really weird decks if there is, like I stated earlier, more focus. That way you can actually speculate more on cards and it become less of a coin flip if you end up with a deck.

This cube will be a diluted one for now, so you might experience drafts where you won't get what you wanted.
With bad cards, you will get a bad deck even if the pieces came together....
It's what i am looking for in a reject rare -format.
Wacky strategies with a bad success rate.

EDIT:
I feel strongly that some drinking game should be involved in this as well.

And yes, this for sure!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Really happy to see dralnu in there, however I think phyrexian negator deserves a slot. I also think great cards like Hidetsugu's Second Rite should be a consideration.

Just run the all painland manabase, that will be awesome. Or how about the depletion lands from ice age?

Edit: You should do something like the arch enemy cards, but really funny effects.

Really happy to see dralnu in there, however I think phyrexian negator deserves a slot. I also think great cards like Hidetsugu's Second Rite should be a consideration.

Just run the all painland manabase, that will be awesome. Or how about the depletion lands from ice age?

Edit: You should do something like the arch enemy cards, but really funny effects.

There are so many cards that should be included and maybe some of them will come in when we have played our first cube.

Archenemy idea is good. I can see a future for added rules for this cube.
Back drafts, continuous drafts seems good also.
Even vanguard with the "real" vanguards or with some wacky cards like Dream Halls etc.

Okay first draft behind me.
This format seemed really awesome to be honest.
We saw people going for Helix Pinnacle,Coalition Victory and Shared Fate while actually winning with that strategy.

The 3-0 player was Rw goblins. The player said his games were pretty boring because he won pretty easily.
I won't jump in to conclusions right away, but i did cut Zo-Zu the Punisher from red, which is pretty insane.
Emberwilde Djinn should be cut also from aggro section, because that guy basically is sulfuric vortex for 4, but i leave it there for now.

I also made some minor tweaks here and there, just to even the playground.

Here are the changes:

Out-><-In
Out-><-In
Out-><-In
Out-><-In
Out-><-In
Out-><-In