RPGs; D&D and descendants

I own a bajillion RPGs, including (but probably not limited to):

D&D 4e
D&D 3.5
some of D&D BECMI
AD&D 2 Oriental Adventures
Traveller (mongoose edition)
Star Wars: Saga Edition
Paranoia XP (later renamed to not be XP because lawyers)
Exalted
New World of Darkness (Core and Changeling, naturally (it's surprisingly interesting))

And have played a bunch more, including Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader, WFRP3 and GURPS (don't).

I currently run a campaign with about 10 people on rotation, using this ruleset, which is derivative of Holmes Basic and BECMI, but with some modern design and a hint of balance added.

Talk about RPGs I guess?

I've been playing for a while, and recently discovered Dungeon World, which is the best game ever.

Very DnD feel with more freeform-y rules, without scaring hardcore grogs away.

ive played adnd 2, dnd 3, 3.5, 4, pathfinder, deadlands, and gurps
by far my favorite is gurps. i havent played any of these in quite a bit though

Laz

Developer
Have been playing 4e for about 3-4 years now, through a whole bunch of campaigns. Before that 3.5. The system has its flaws, and is not really immersive in any real way, but as someone raised on video games, there isn't too much wrong with it.

We also screwed around with World of Darkness, which has an awesome system for role-play driven adventures.

dont try to play everything with gurps thats a mistake (despite people trying) but theres definitely a lot of things you can play with it and have fun

I played with the GURPS Discworld book. Someone had an axe, which they had to spend every other action readying. It got tedious.

I'm also told the story of the GURPS modern game that was played at the university gaming soc where one guy got four actions per action, and firing a gun required however many to hit rolls per action, per action. It also got tedious.

Soap box is out...

I hate D&D 4.0 with a passion (sorry to the supporters). IMO, it's everything wrong with RPG design and MMO's all rolled into one. Combat was over-emphasized and skills were almost completely made obsolete. It's an abomination on an epic scale.

I'm a very old school RPG player. Back when it was more about ROLE-playing and not about ROLL-playing (magic item SLOTS???? Really guys??? Please help me understand how my character only has one neck slot. Because I REALLY don't understand how that makes any fucking sense at all. Look... I just put on two necklaces. I could probably wear 15 of them without any issues.).

Putting soap box away now...

Systems I've played and liked include the following.

Runequest (3rd edition) - several games used this basic system including another personal favorite Stormbringer (truly a bad game but with a great mythos). It is entirely skill based (no class system at all), and that makes for a very customizable character. It's also very lethal, so even an experienced PC can be killed by an orc. A lot of people shy away from non-heroic systems because they don't like having their guys die in un-heroic ways (wayward arrow from an orc). But I'm personally a fan (I like rolling up new characters anyway, so I don't tend to get attached).

Warhammer Fantasy RP (1st edition and 3rd edition) - 1st edition was bare bones, but the setting is dark and really gritty. 3rd edition is less gritty but it has a wonderful RP system that is well designed. All the emphasis on cards and tokens takes away from some of it, but there are great ideas in this game (party identity and tension, stress and fatigue management, career development, heavy focus on non-combat skills and situations). It's a lovely system even if it has flaws.

Hackmaster (most recent edition) - a really well thought out game that feels like AD&D but has a lot of really unique and tight mechanics to address things that don't work in D&D (threshold of pain, tracking combat using seconds instead of turns, realistic armor system not based on abstract AC value). It's not without it's weaknesses (too crunchy at times - I suggest you do some unarmed combat and let me know how long that takes you to resolve), but this is a solid game.

D&D (AD&D through 4.0) - 3.5 is my favorite system because of it's elegance. But it breaks down at around 10 or 11th level. Combat takes a billion years yet it's outcome is generally known ahead of time due to the inevitability of the escalating HP system. Anything capable of killing you WILL kill you pretty much every time. And everything else is going to die before that happens - again EVERY SINGLE TIME. Barring a ridiculous string of lucky or unlucky rolls, nothing in this game is ever surprising, and that really takes a lot of the tension out of the game for me at least.

Eric and I broached the subject of recording a dnd thing over an online simulator if we ever get the gusto and feel super brave.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I have done a long and harrowing journey in the RPG realm, starting with pure freeform roleplaying, then pluming the depths of Dungeons and Dragons into White Wolf into Newer Dungeons and Dragons into Weird Indie RPGs into Even Newer Dungeons and Dragons into Feng Shui into Back into Old Dungeons and Dragons.

Nowadays I can't be bothered with rulesets and once again I only do freeform roleplaying and wonder why I spent all this money on all these books to do something I was and still am perfectly happy to do for free.

(I do love me books filled with monsters, though, even if I don't use the stats anymore)

I've played AD&D through to 4th edition. To be honest, I don't think any edition has hit the sweet spot. There are a lot of things I love about 4th edition, but there are lot of things missing from it as well, that 3.5 managed to capture. I think my favourite would be Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved. It was a refreshing change in setting, and helped fixed a few (definitely not all) holes in 3rd edition.

Next D&D session is coming up in a couple of weeks. Remaining prep work:

Paint some models
Stock level 2 of the current dungeon
Restock level 1
Write up a calendar for the party to have an idea when exciting things happen

Most interesting planned encounter: the party meets a succubus while having no IC idea what a succubus is. Should be fun.

I'd painted the succubus I needed. I did get the other stuff done in time.

Micro session report:
The succubus rolled 2hp and died instantly
The war devil was ON FIRE, hit every attack and killed a PC (the only person remoting in)
Two magic items were found
Literal thousands of gp were found
Everyone levelled up (a nontrivial achievement the way I run things)

Anyone wanna tell me about Traveler?

My last D&D session had us finally making it out of a desert where we find an eerie trans planar city where everyone just does their job all day and they make you leave your shadow at the door when you walk in. I really like my character though. I'm getting my first crack at dubiously moral paladin, in that he's sorta a critique on white privilege and smiling western imperialism. His lawful good is one that suits the way he was brought up and the values and social structure he's used to, and it doesn't help that he sees his people everywhere doing great things. There's a place for all people in the world, but sometimes it's out of the way when the blessed and just inheritors of the earth are doing gods will. It's really fun playing a well meaning but pompous twat though.

The druid is really hilarious too, he's found a whole whack of poorly translated proverbs he can respond with whenever we ask him to make a skill check for anything.

Anyone put any thought into doing a skype dnd thing? I imagine it would have to be some time when Fantasy Standard is no longer so pressing.

Yeah me and eric talked a little about how fun it would be to set up a riptide game for role 20 at one point.