Ryan's Peasant Cube

So the first cube I ever built was a peasant cube. I've recently taken to re working it trying to help push aggro a little more as well as adding in a sacrifice,spells matter,reanimator, and graveyard theme. I would love for you guys to look it over let me know what you like, what you think doesn't work, and what I might be missing. Also the Black and Green section are over by 5 cards because I'm having a tough time trying to figure out what to cut.

Cubetutor Link: http://cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/5416

I like the look of this cube, and I specially like that you run enslave, that card just oozes flavor. Sprout swarm isn't too powerful? Seems like it could be a bit oppressive?

Believe it or not I've actually lost more times with active Sprout Swarm than won with it. It's just too slow sometimes. I also want to leave it in because I dream of getting it with Young Pyromancer. I did a few grid drafts at my LGS tonight and I gotta say the graveyard/dredge theme was absolutely spectacular. Some of the most fun I've had in a limited format in awhile.

sprout swarm generally isnt oppressive in my friend's peasant cube, but it IS just boring / unfun. i believe he's cutting it?

I liked some of the Innistrad blue zombies in my peasant cube when I had it. Stitched Drake and Skaab Goliath were particularly good. I think the Goliath is notable because I felt like control sometimes had trouble closing out games, so it was helpful to have more finisher cards.

Stitched Drake is a pretty nice one. I'll probably find room for that. I think I'm pretty set in the blue finishers department though. As far as Sprout Swarm I just added in a tokens theme to the cube so it's definitely staying as far as I can see. Still having troubles on what to cut from Black and Green. Anybody see anything that looks mediocre? Keeping in mind that Sacrifice and Graveyard are 2 big themes I'm trying to help push.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I got destroyed by Centaur Glade in my friend's peasant cube the other day. That card is badonkalicious. I was playing control and I was almost managing to race the centaurs, but I was blowing removal spells and he could just outcard me/not even bother to outcard me and kill me with centaurs. In game two I held countermagic up the whole time, but I had to cast something once and he took his opportunity to land Centaur Glade again. I couldn't beat it!
Anway peasant cube is amazing.

Did a draft today at the LGS and lost to Centaur Glade. I blame you guys. I drafted the graveyard deck again just to get a feel for it and see how it plays out in a draft style and man it's still just phenomenal. I really love this archetype. I was BUG and I had 2 people to my right in green 1 of them was in blue and I had 2 people to my left in black and everybody's deck still came out very good.

BOTG Updates:

All in all a pretty solid set of additons. The only one I'm unsure about is the Siren. Mostly giving it a try because of all the blink effects. Also still working on tying to cut Green and Black down to size. Considering cutting the whole cube down in size also.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I will say that on average: new magic players think punisher cards preform way better than they do, but remember that experienced magic players also think they preform way worse.
I'm still not sold though :p

I like the rest of the additions though. Satyr Wayfinder might be the start of that mulch deck being good.

Yeah like I said I'm unsure about the Siren. I figured it was worth a shot but I don't see it making the cut. The Mulch deck is actually already very very good. It's probably my favorite deck to draft in the cube by far. It's such a blast to play.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Really? Do tell!
I've thought a bit about persuing this angle, and I think he's a step in the right direction in that he helps enable the graveyard and counts as a creature in the graveyard

What are the payoff cards?

I would definitely recommend having a graveyard style deck in your cube. It's a theme I've been mildly talking about throughout various post. I guess call it my contribution haha. As far as payoff cards there's Spider Spawning as well as various fatties to reanimate. There's also Nemesis of Motals. It also makes cards like Frantic Search and Enclave Cryptologist much better. I've got Nimble Mongoose and Werebear floating around as well as some unearth guys which work for GY or Sac theme. Also got the retrace spells in there and things like Reach of Branches. Phyrexian Reclamation, Tortured Existence,Eternal Witness, and Regrowth turn in to tutors more so than just value cards. Also various flashback cards give more value. You know Commune With the Gods grab a TE flashback Deep Analysis. All in all I'd say it's probably one of the best things I've done to this cube

Alright cut the multi color cards down to 8 per guild from 9 cut green down to size getting rid of things for mono green aggro Kalonian Tusker Leatherback Baloth etc etc. Have finally accepted green is always going to be a secondary color in aggro decks. Cut some artifacts that I didn't care for too much. Still trying to figure out what to cut from black and if I should cut the cube size down even further. Would like for some of the archetypes (Graveyard, Sacrifice) to be drafted more consistently but not so small as to have them always be there and be the same deck every draft. Considering adding in some incidental graveyard hate like Jotun Grunt. Also I'm still on the fence about pushing tokens.

Oh he's in an staying in. I just mean you're never gonna be a base green aggro deck. I just don't think the parts are there

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think it can be done if you have your dudes from green and your non dudes from other colors. Overrun is an okay card, but I've always felt it's a win more. Armageddon has a bit more scaling to it, whereas overrun kinda just kills someone or it doesn't.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I forget that most of my green 3s are custom. We need a mono color loxodon smiter at some point WotC!
Do remember that you can go with Tarmogoyph and Call of the Herd/Kitchen Finks instead of the above-mentioned color intensive guys.

I also have the suspicion that Reverent Hunter might be better than we're giving him credit for (CML excepted of course)

Yeah I forget that most of my green 3s are custom. We need a mono color loxodon smiter at some point WotC!
Do remember that you can go with Tarmogoyph and Call of the Herd/Kitchen Finks instead of the above-mentioned color intensive guys.

I also have the suspicion that Reverent Hunter might be better than we're giving him credit for (CML excepted of course)

Except that none of those are common uncommon :p otherwise in in a heartbeat.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Finks is!
And really, I think it could be worth making an exception for some anchor cards. Peasant people do this with manafixing right?

Treetop Village also works well (and is basically a 3 drop)

Briarhorn? I love a good pump spell

Finks is!
And really, I think it could be worth making an exception for some anchor cards. Peasant people do this with manafixing right?

Treetop Village also works well (and is basically a 3 drop)

Briarhorn? I love a good pump spell

I don't. I like that it feels more like a limited environment with not as good mana fixing. Treetop Village is in and a real delight and everybody always gets blown out by briarhorn