General "Sacred Cow" or "Cube Staple"

Chris Taylor

Contributor
But the human sub type doesn't? Pah!

Some otherwise intelligent people got a viewer question once asking "how small would a cube built of all staples be"
their answer was somewhere under 200, but I can't see it being anything other than zero.

Oblivion ring and Co are sweet cards to be sure, but saying they are staples means there is NO CUBE ANYWHERE you can imagine that should not include them. That I think, assumes some pretty merger possibilities for the concept of cubing

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
No one's broken it so far.. so I'll wait until someone does some busted stuff with it, and then reevaluate. Green could use a boost here, in any case.

On the other hand, one time one guy drafted both Noble Hierarchs and all hell broke loose. That was a little easier for him to assemble.

I don't see why multiple Noble Hierarch's is broken. I'm not even sure it's desirable since all it really does is make 3+ color decks easier to make (something I abhor personally).

It doesn't ramp better than Llanowar. It doesn't fix better than BOP. Yes, Exalted is sweet (and that is certainly worth the 0/1 body). But it really isn't that much better than other options IMO. What am I missing here?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't see why multiple Noble Hierarch's is broken. I'm not even sure it's desirable since all it really does is make 3+ color decks easier to make (something I abhor personally).

It doesn't ramp better than Llanowar. It doesn't fix better than BOP. Yes, Exalted is sweet (and that is certainly worth the 0/1 body). But it really isn't that much better than other options IMO. What am I missing here?

Exalted is way better than you're giving it credit for mostly :p

Exalted is way better than you're giving it credit for mostly :p

Maybe. I certainly think Exalted is awesome. And I would probably rate Hierarch as better than BOP (exalted IMO is better than flying + tapping for B and R). But it's not that much better. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

Turn 1 hierarch into turn 2 hierarch is brutal. Swing for 2 on turn two, then power out a 5 drop on turn 3, which will swing with +2/+2 on turn 4.

That said, you'd have to draft both AND draw both before that could happen...

My current setup is 2 hierarchs, 2 birds and 1 treespeaker

Yeah, but it's pretty easy to disrupt too so it feels balanced and not broken. Absolutely every piece of removal in the entire cube kills Heirarch and there are plenty of two for one burn spells that completely dismantles double mana creature (not just Heirarch). 5 drop on turn three is solid though, especially if you keep your Heirarchs for the exalted.

Of course, if your opponent has done NOTHING by turn 4 to stop your 0/1 army, they sort of deserve to lose. LOL

CML

Contributor
Yeah, but it's pretty easy to disrupt too so it feels balanced and not broken. Absolutely every piece of removal in the entire cube kills Heirarch and there are plenty of two for one burn spells that completely dismantles double mana creature (not just Heirarch). 5 drop on turn three is solid though, especially if you keep your Heirarchs for the exalted.

Of course, if your opponent has done NOTHING by turn 4 to stop your 0/1 army, they sort of deserve to lose. LOL

have you played with this card? it's 1,000 times better than any mana dork that isn't deathrite.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Me neither. She's probably the best one, but the flying and extra colors on Birds of Paradise has come up a lot. Just last draft birds busted through with an Eidolon of Countless Battles over a groundstall.

Me neither. She's probably the best one, but the flying and extra colors on Birds of Paradise has come up a lot. Just last draft birds busted through with an Eidolon of Countless Battles over a groundstall.

Wolfir Silverheart and BOP are great friends, and that sort of comes out of left field when you turn BOP into a 4/5 flying monstrosity with haste. That has happened enough times that guys make a point to kill BOP even after it starts to seem "useless".