Card/Deck Scapeshift in Cube

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you support Life from the Loam (a card which I squadroned) it could have some uses maybe, and it thins out your deck? Still seems pretty poisonous though...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ah yeah, I forgot about landfall, which I curiously don't run in my cube. Less poisonous than I thought in that case :) It's certainly a card that can put more lands onto the battlefield in one turn than any other single card can on turn (save maybe Fastbond, but how realistically can you put 4+ lands into play on turn 4+ with that?).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
the spell lands are nice, but we already had some spell lands. What new landfall cards are actually cube-able?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Scapeshift makes some of the retreats look really good (the red one gives +8/+0 at the very least, for example). I don't know that such a play is really conducive to an interesting match though.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Scapeshift makes some of the retreats look really good (the red one gives +8/+0 at the very least, for example). I don't know that such a play is really conducive to an interesting match though.

I think it's worth testing at least. The bigger question to me is if the retreats are playable on their own. I might just make a land cube though...

360 lands, a box of basic creatures and utility spells draft?

Tonight on 'What's Trending at BTP'...
I think the bigger your landfall/land recursion theme gets, the more powerful Scapeshift becomes as a finite-combo card (see the Retreat to Valakut post above). Now, do you want a finite combo in your cube? Not everyone does. Do you want to proxy Scapeshift and slam into a test decklist? Well, I do, now.
But seriously...

And that's just old cards!

Are you talking like a decklist or just a list of considerations? Btw i just realized Venser PW can give you an extra landfall trigger every turn with his +

I can see these being the back bone of a midrange deck that uses Scapeshift to generate enough value to vault itself over the opponent to a win.

You can Scapeshift to kill your lands and make a giant, protected, Knight of the Reliquary. Retreat to Coralhelm adds redundancy and an additional way to make a giant, protected, Knight of the Reliquary.

These red creatures can be used to clear the way for your green fatties or to finish an opponent off while doing a Valakut impression

Scapeshift can find lands that can combo with each other

These cards can do a Scapeshift impression and play nicely with Titania

You can throw Valakut into the Utility Land Draft and try to recreate the modern decks in draft

Splendid Reclamation makes your lands trigger again after you've binned them Scapeshift.

A good place to see Scapeshift mesh with a midrange deck is to check out Legacy Nic Fit Scapeshift decks. These decks have the usual Nic Fit Plan A of ramping into midrange threats that legacy isn't equipped to handle while also threatening a Plan B of Scapeshift + Valakut. If you throw Valakuts into the utility land draft I think your decks will resemble Nic Fit rather the RUG decks in modern.

Here's a decklist if you're curious: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=12777&d=274101&f=LE

Some of this is rambling and some of this is stuff people posted earlier in the thread.

Also, Jason, this was what I thought when I saw you post Tireless Tracker