General [SCD] Imotekh the Stormlord

I think Imotekh has a LOT going for him and i think this is (alongside Sheoldred) one of the coolest most satisfying black 4's we've gotten in a looooooong time. I'd like to throw my prediction in the jar that, once the dust settles from this Warhammer 40k / Universes Beyond / etc stuff, Imotekh will be one of the most thrilling Cube designs it produces.

Let's read the card. Four mana 3/3 artifact creature. Not a t:zombie, sadly, but mechanically so indistinct that if it weren't for W40K flavour I'm sure all the Necrons would be Zombies on the typeline. Anyway, that doesn't matter too much, because I want to look at what this guy does OUTSIDE of gravecrawler/zombies.dec.

The 'level one' play (Grand Strategist) with Imotekh is to curve other artifact creatures into him, such that when you play him on curve, he gives your three-drop pants and evasion going into the combat step. Or, in an environment with artifact mana, on turn three, where he might buff your one-drop. The lack of ETB combined with the combat trigger puts Imotekh in the exciting middle between Tarmogoyf and Elvish Visionary (a lot of cards being designed in this space lately!); he can die to a bolt before combat, or he can represent a lot of evasive damage. Unlike other cards in Imotekh's 'leaves-your-graveyard' design space, his floor, thanks to Grand Strategist (when it applies; "another" artifact creature) is much higher than, say, Desecrated Tomb or Tormod, the Desecrator.

At 'level two' (Phaeron), Imotekh becomes a very different (and thrillingly stronger) card. Phaeron pays you off per instance of you removing one or more artifact cards from your graveyard. This might seem like a strangely-worded ask, but in Cube there are actually a lot of things we might already be playing that incidentally do this - Delve, reanimation spells, creatures who use cards in the yard as a resource, Emry, Welder nonsense, Scrap Trawler/Junk Diver effects, Regrowths, Bomberman combo (for which he's a pass-the-turn win condition), Scrapheap Scrounger (TWICE, for four 2/2 tokens), some eggs, Second Sunrise effects, Life from the Loam with an artifact land, the list GOES ON AND ON AND ON....

e: Not to mention:

Escape, graveyard hate, YawgWill, ANYTHING broken you happen to do with KCI, Greasefang, Metalwork Colossus, Glissa, the Traitor....

At level one, Imotekh rewards you for playing Magic. At level two, he rewards you a king's ransom for drafting well. But unlike similar cards we've seen lately, his floor is way higher! That makes me not only excited to test him in my environment, but cautiously optimistic that he'll enter the pantheon of Black's greatest four drops for cube. Order your copy now before the MTGS hivemind realize this.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
While I totally agree with you on almost every point (No one can convince me Sheoldred 2.0 is satisfying :p), the Universes Beyond thing is a massive, massive turn-off. Absolutely a cool design. Not willing to reward Wizards for a limited print run no-guarantee-for-reprints FOMO fest by helping increase demand for this kind of product, especially considering how they've screwed over multiple local retailers who've supported them for years by not supplying them with this very product.

I adore the heck out of the design. It was one of the first cards spoiled from the Necron deck and indicated a thrilling direction for the deck that I was eager to see more of. All of your points are relevant and things that crossed my mind at first blush, and I spent a fair bit of time trying to theorycraft Imotekh's viability in my own list.

However, at my power level, I just don't think it's viable. The token generation ability is certainly the reason to play the card, but that's not something you can necessarily count on the turn it lands, or even the turn after. Without curving into it and a reasonable density of artifact creatures -- not just artifacts -- you're looking at a Hill Giant.

Even if I maximized my artifact creature count best I could without too much of a sacrifice of my current power level (which would also probably necessitate trimming my existing top-end), I don't think I could fill out a 720 list with a solid enough as-fan that Imotekh would be a thrilling t4 play. While supporting an ever-increasing variety of artifact decks is something I am slowly trending towards, accelerating that process prior to WotC printing the ideal volume of artifact creatures I'd find necessary for a 4-drop that can be bolted prior to even getting a menace trigger off is not ideal.

I don't think this is a "Miles' reasonably high powered 720 cube" specific problem either; what are the one, two, and three drop artifact creatures you're curving into this with? Here's the list of things I run and would run that I'd be happy to curve into it with:

1MV:

2MV:

3MV:

It may look like a lot, and there are fun cards in there for sure, but that's not a hearty enough list for me, personally. I'm only running maybe 60% of these currently, and would need to have more artifact payoffs to pull the trigger on the rest.

I do earnestly love this card's design, I simply think it would've needed to be a better beater on its own, survive more common removal, or have a bigger impact without relying on the token generation.

I was going to make a post in my cube blog, but I also think that

Has merit alongside the other Necron artifact cards.
Giving power and evasion to your artifact team is huge, and being able to rebuy it once plays well with the whole grindy package.
In addition to your list you could go with these artifacts to further support the deck

It’s a commitment, but I like giving Black something other than GY and Sacrifice.

I feel like you have to either commit to an artifact creature package or a bauble-style package if you want to run this, not both. Both will just muddy the waters, and probably not have room in the brown section for everything you'd really want anyways.

If you go the creatures route to get the buffs, you would probably want a fairly typical small-reanimator package to trigger the first ability (and just for the grinds), and stuff like Scrap Trawler can still play a role in those chains.

If you go bauble looping, you really don't need to do much else I think? The tokens it makes are artifacts, so they can automatically benefit from the second ability. Really helps artifact saccing pop off too.

I can see either strategy working. Make a Bx artifact aggro archetype like nanonox brings up, add that other 3 drop to the list, go ham. Add this to an existing mardu baubles archetype for a token finisher. Seems perfectly workable in multiple scenarios. Like Karshtakavaar though, I'm just really not a fan of the styling and the product precedent.

Fun combo with:

I feel like I'm at the proper density of artifacts for Imotekh (21.7%), but I'm not convinced. The upside is tantalizing, but 4 mana has become an increasingly demanding slot in my cube as my average cmc has lowered and the speed of my environment has increased. Being an artifact itself is a big plus as it makes it much easier to recur. However, it would've been nice if the second ability targeted itself so it had a bit more autonomy....or an extra point of toughness would've also helped it's case. As is, it's doesn't provide much on its own, it's susceptible to lots of red's removal at 3 toughness, and is not a great blocker for 4 mana. This the type of card I've been actively moving away from to be honest. There's no shortage of payoffs for artifact decks, and I feel that there are better fits for my cube goals.

This is only applicable to my cube...I'm sure this could have a home in a lot of other cubes.

I feel like you have to either commit to an artifact creature package or a bauble-style package if you want to run this, not both. Both will just muddy the waters
Not sure I agree with this. One of the main reasons I run a bauble-style package is to give some draw-smoothing to colors that don't have access to it or have access in limited quantities. Then you also run them for random delirium and delve support even in colors with plenty of cantrips.
The artifact creature package is also just generally useful at fleshing out random aggro sections for colors that might be a bit lacking. Giving Blue some one drops can lead to novel decks.

Having both increases the range of decks you get from your artifact payoffs.

Can all care about baubles or creatures. I think the decks would be too similar if you only used one type of enabler.

You are right though that it takes up a bunch of space in the colorless section.

There are some fun ones to go along with Imotekh

I forgot the Dollhouse even existed, but it does seem like a semi-decent value engine. Rebuy your ETB and get some chunky constructs for your trouble.

The discard matters payoffs can trigger it too
Currency Converter
Containment Construct

Yeah a few baubles won't do much negative and will certainly help in the ways you mention, but I think a full trinkets archetype with Teshar, Scrap Trawler etc. etc. and then also a full artifact creatures archetype will be really hard to devote space to, unless you make it a full theme of the cube (which is totally fine!). And risk decks that try to cut through the middle and do neither super well.

Wow. Paradoxically, *way* too good for my artifact cube. I hadn't even considered him for the primary--that feels like a mistake now, lol. Thanks for the tip.

Probably my only regret might be there's no non-foil version available and (let's be honest) probably never will be.

Last edited:
To help with the debate on value vs. clunkiness, I'm going to commit the cardinal sin of card evaluation and compare Imotekh to an existing and beloved card:

Both can get value on the turn they're played, but both require setup to do so. Marionette Master has a higher probability of leaving material behind on the board if it's removed immediately, but the detritus from Imotekh rapidly outstrips 3 1/1s--I'd argue that in most situations a pair of 2/2s is already significantly stronger, and when you get to four of them you're ahead by a country mile. Marionette Master has more immediate combo potential (Imotekh likely can't win before you untap), but Imotekh has a higher ceiling in many ways.

However, all of this is relatively immaterial. What matters is that Marionette Master is a similarly Baneslayer-y type card that sees play and is still deemed valuable enough to be worth the risk of it dying to removal. The two are close enough on power level that if Marionette Master is a viable card in your environment, I think that Imotekh likely will be too. Conversely, if Marionette Master struggles, I don't expect that Imotekh will do much better.

For sure, 6 is so much more than 50% greater than 4! But I think that that actually strengthens the idea that the risk/reward ratio on Imotekh is attractive rather than diminishing it.