General Self Mill (without big reanimation)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What have we got? What are the enablers, what are the payoffs (e.g. delve) and what cards in the yard that provide value?

Surprised the giant enablers post didn't mention my literal favorite (it's an instant! there's no reason for it to be an instant unless you want it to be just straight up better than every other effect like this!)

also for payoffs

edit: and while it's not strictly an enabler, if you draw your Grave-Troll or whatever, you'd be happy to have things like

(/Cathartic Reunion/Tormenting Voice/Dangerous Wager)

Some high powered options include

Muldrotha and Lurrus kind of want the same kind of cards (baubles, spellbombs and the like) and Shelldock might not be what you want if you are avoiding big reanimation. Champion is a payoff, but still gets stuff in the yard if needed. Flayer is an enabler and a payoff which make it very appealing. There are a ton more like Thassa's Oracle, Nexus of Fate and Jace, Wielder of Mysteries for the combo win or Kess, Dissident Mage, Goblin Dark-Dwellers and Devil's Play if you want to tie in spells matters with self-mill.

What colors are you looking for specifically or is this a broad theme?

Reactions: dbs

Honestly surprised this gross little crab hasn't been mentioned yet! Mills you crazy quick.

Some win cons for selfmill that isn't about getting things out of your graveyard.

Pretty sure Goyf count's as a payoff as well! It's practically delirium.

Edit:

Just adding a bunch of more cards I remembered. Now I really wanna play a self-mill deck!

Red can get in on the fun too! really, entire cubes can/are built on the concept of throwing stuff into the yard.

Not strictly "milling", but still the best version of this effect in red IMO:

Cutesy stuff

Oh, there is one more I haven't seen here and it's enabler and payoff in one, just not really interesting outside it's home strategy

No love for

:(
and probably one of the most underrated cards

For one mana it's one with nothing that draws four cards first (as a sorcery)! Blue is clearly overpowered :p but Breakthrough is totally something you can run if you've wanted one with nothing, but had the thought "but it does nothing but be a fast enabler for a couple archetypes". At 2 mana it's great for those top-deck wars where you know you have one specific card in your deck that can save you from this situation. At three mana it looks like an intuition that doesn't give your opponent the choice, gives you another choice, but the "cost" is pitching the rest of your hand.
And I can go on and on about how it can be a worse tidings and whatnot, braingeyser will eventually beat it out, but braingeyser doesn't act as an enabler for a couple archetypes and give such a wow factor to your opponent when you throw your whole hand and go, "this is my best choice to win the game".

EDIT: For payoffs, mine look pretty similar to everyone else's, but I also run

and there's a whole vesperlark archetype but this post is getting bloated lol

Almost in the same vein as Honored Hydra. You won't cheat on mana as with the Hydra, but many people cube the Angel without the self-mill package, which says something about its self-sufficiency even if it's "hard-cast".