Article Slot efficiency

DEFINITION & EFFICIENCY

No matter how many cards compose our cube, its number will always be finite. And since the card pool is limited and only forty cards go in a deck, we may come to realize that the number of slots available are limited.

Given this scarcity I want to introduce the concept of "Slot efficiency". In simple terms: A card, idea or archetype is "slot efficient", when it furthers the cube's goals significantly compared to the amount of space it takes in the cube. Inversely, "a card, idea or archetype is inefficient when it takes a large amount of space for what it provides.

Let me use two examples. Imagine I want to add a combo to my cube. Which one of these is more efficient in slots, Dark Depths or Storm?

Dark depths:

Storm:
etc, etc, etc.

Simple, right? Dark Depths is more efficient because it takes fewer slots to achieve the same desired result. So far, so good. However, slot efficiency is not just a measure of how many cards an archetype needs in a cube, but how much you get for spending that space. Hence, let see a second example.

Imagine I want to support Storm a little more and decide to spend 3 slots on it. Which of these packages will do more for the archetype?

Package one:

Package two:

The first package will do little for storm. The cards don't work with each other and have vastly different requirements. On the other hand, if you dabble in black, you can happily run all the cards from Package two in your deck. The second package is more slot efficient, it does more to boost the archetype at the same "cost".

I find that running inefficient cards, that help an archetype, but do so inefficiently, is one of the recurring problems in cube design. We have a tendence to add cards that "technically" support a deck, or that you could run but that aren't a great enough fit to justify their inclusing in the cube.

For example, one of these two cards is going to make me excited about Blink and another one won't. Which one is it?

It's not that Countless Gears Renegade is bad, but's it's a far worse target than Akroma. You can build a deck taround the latter and have a satisfactory result, while Countless Gears Renegade tends to be cut because you would rather blink Man O'War.

The biggest strides I've made in my cube have come by increasing the efficiency of my slots. Too often, the matter wasn't even the number of support cards, or the difficulty of the archetype but that the cards I had weren't doing enough of what I wanted. Looking for these inefficient slots is a huge part of improving a cube.

SLOT EFFICIENCY VS PARASITISM

You may notice that slot efficiency has some overlap with parasitism. Parasitic cards are often less efficient and you can easily find scenarios where the reasons behind parasitism and inefficiency are practically identical between one another. But this is not always the case. For example, powerful "good stuff" cards are the opposite of parasitic, but they are incredibly inefficient at boosting your archetypes.

Sure, you'll play Questing Beast in most decks that can support it, but it does nothing other than being good. On the other hand, Earthcraft is much less broadly useful, but it's extremely efficient at creating a specific archetype.

HOW TO INCREASE SLOT EFFICIENCY

1) Your archetype cards should have a large impact on their own

2) Avoid second-tier support

In Cube it's almost inevitable to end up with more cards than you can actually put in your deck. Hence, there's no need for most "second tier" support card. Often, you can get away with far fewer slots if the individual cards are better suited. You can always tone the archetype down in other ways, if needed.

3) Avoid generally strong "good stuff" cards

Strong, "good stuff" cards will make it into every deck yet not help any of your archetypes. Try to minimize them whenever possible. If the only reason you can think to include a card is "because it's good" then it may not be the best card for the slot!

4) Find "two for ones"

Often, you can find cards that support several archetypes at once. For example, you can pick your fatties so they can be cheated out with every method (Reanimator, Sneak Attack, Welder) instead of just one of them. You can blink Fleshgorger, reanimate it or ramp into it. Elemental works for tokens and counters, Elvish Reclaimer seeks lands and is good in aggro graveyard decks and Chromatic Star has a ton of different utilities, from artifact support to chaining storm.

Anyways, it's just something I've been thinking about. What do you think?

It's important to consider that slot efficiency (a good term!) doesn't exactly equal the cards used thanks to "x-for-1" cards. For example, that Dark Depths archetype might take up more virtual space in your cube than it initially appears if your cube doesn't include any other land-based combos.

Another important thing to consider is that, a lot of times, it's really tricky to identify how big a given archetype is, since big archetypes are usually built out of a lot of overlapping little archetypes.

(Take all of this with a grain of salt: I make Jenny Cubes that are all about emphasizing some dumb gimmick, after all. :p)

It's important to consider that slot efficiency (a good term!) doesn't exactly equal the cards used thanks to "x-for-1" cards. For example, that Dark Depths archetype might take up more virtual space in your cube than it initially appears if your cube doesn't include any other land-based combos.
Yep. I didn't want to make the post too messy so I didn't mention it, but it's true. For example, while Dark Depths only takes 4 slots, three of those slots (Dark Depths, Tespian's Stage, Crop Rotation) are good only in that archetype.

i think i wanna put dark depths in my cube now :O
The combo is extremely strong, though! I don't run it because I think it would be too "easy".

I'll never bother to specifically calculate this, but the concept is good to keep in mind.
I haven't calculated it mathematically, but I do keep the idea around to check if I'm doing something wrong.

As much as I agree with all of your points, I do think there's value in having a few narrow cards both to help signpost archetypes as well as allow for decision making in drafts - is it worth risking an attempt wheel that one card you really need to make your deck work that no one else is likely to want because there's a more generally playable card that others may be after in the pack? That doesn't really happen when everything cross-pollinates everything else or can slot into a broad swath of decks.

If I got Erik right here, inefficiency isn't the same as being narrow. I would argue that three of the four cards in his dark depths package are narrow but it's still efficiency because they enable a whole new archetype with few slots.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the idea is less "turn your cube into a bucket of Generic Archetype Porridge" and more "be aware of how much space you're spending on cards that will only see play in one deck".

DEFINITION & EFFICIENCY

No matter how many cards compose our cube, its number will always be finite. And since the card pool is limited and only forty cards go in a deck, we may come to realize that the number of slots available are limited.

Anyways, it's just something I've been thinking about. What do you think?
I don't know, I looked at the same numbers and I came to the opposite conclusion. You have about 45 cards you picked, so if you are playing about 23 nonlands and 6 lands, then you can account for sideboard tech, speculative picks, hate picks and so on, and at the end there's about 10 out of 45 picks at least that won't have mattered during draft and that won't see play.

While I generally agree with the idea of multipurpose slots and avoiding unfocused goodstuff cards, I'd say you have about 10-20% of the slots in your cube that can be highly specialized to tailor towards archetypes that need unconventional cards.

Last edited:

In Cube it's almost inevitable to end up with more cards than you can actually put in your deck. Hence, there's no need for most "second tier" support card. Often, you can get away with far fewer slots if the individual cards are better suited. You can always tone the archetype down in other ways, if needed.

This is probably my most common error, putting cards in a cube for a specific archetype and then realizing that not even that archetype wants those cards since they are too weak compared to others. Sadly this is not too easy to recognize early when you are designing the cube, but you can usually realize it when you draft the cube, the person drafting that specific archetype drafted that card, and chose to leave it in the sideboard

So it's a pretty long journey. Do you have some suggestions on how to notice something like that earlier?

So it's a pretty long journey. Do you have some suggestions on how to notice something like that earlier?
Take your cube, from all the cards pick the cards you think could be in the archetype and make the best deck. Then do the same a few times but you randomly take a few of the choose cards out of the pile (to simulate not seeing those cards due to the other drafters). Cut all the cards which were never put into one of these archetype decks that were meant for this archetype.

That's smart but could also be tricky, since you have to calculate the generically good stuff cards almost every real draft deck ends up with. But I really like the idea.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Hey! Leave Countless Gears Renegade and Changeling Outcast alone! :p For real though, in a fetch-heavy low to mid power environment, CGR is a 3/3 for two mana spread over two bodies. Even though it’s probably the cut for my WOE adds, it has been very solid in my cube. Likewise, Changeling Outcast has been excellent, and it’s nowhere near getting cut.

Both cards incidentally have quite a bit of cross-synergy, uniting various archetypes. CGR supports go wide, artifacts matter, and Smokestack strategies. Changeling Outcast, meanwhile, is fantastic in ninjas (in fact, it’s potentially the best one drop for ninjas), carries a Bonesplitter like a boss, and works really well as a critical mass card in creature type archetypes (like zombies). All that is to say that the definition of second-tier support depends on more than the individual power level of a particular card in a singular archetype. Always look at the web of archetypes you are trying to support, because a card that can fill multiple spots in that web decently may have just as much value as a card that fills one spot excellently!

Last edited:
That's smart but could also be tricky, since you have to calculate the generically good stuff cards almost every real draft deck ends up with. But I really like the idea.
True. You could randomly add some generic good stuff cards to your pool and you aredone. However, when doing this you do not only remove the bad archetype cards but also the ones which could be useful if you do not get the generic good stuff ones and are in a pinch. Both with and without some generic good stuff cards have their merits. Having a tad more archetype cards allows for switching during a draft.

I'm a very big proponent of trying to actually build decks with your card pool. It's surprisingly insightful how much more clearly you can judge a card when you have to fit it into a coherent 23-card pile, rather than the more abstract 360 card pile.
And also to sometimes play with just a random pile of cards. You get strange interactions which show some cards in a new light

This is probably my most common error, putting cards in a cube for a specific archetype and then realizing that not even that archetype wants those cards since they are too weak compared to others. Sadly this is not too easy to recognize early when you are designing the cube, but you can usually realize it when you draft the cube, the person drafting that specific archetype drafted that card, and chose to leave it in the sideboard

For me the biggest one is realizing that, just because something can act as "support", it doesn't mean you would ever want to run the card.

For example, you could probably play Countless Gear Renegade in blink. But will you be happy spending Momentary Blink on it? Even if it's 3/3 of stats for two mana, is it really the card you want in aggro?

I would try writing down or building a "real" deck, taking the cards you want. Do these cards fit, or are they clear "guess I don't have what I truly want" types? If it's the latter, I would mark them down and see if they are actually worth it.

Hey! Leave Countless Gears Renegade and Changeling Outcast alone! :p For real though, in a fetch-heavy low to mid power environment, CGR is a 3/3 for two mana spread over two bodies. Even though it’s probably the cut for my WOE adds, it has been very solid in my cube. Likewise, Changeling Outcast has been excellent, and it’s nowhere near getting cut.

Both cards incidentally have quite a bit of cross-synergy, uniting various archetypes. CGR supports go wide, artifacts matter, and Smokestack strategies. Changeling Outcast, meanwhile, is fantastic in ninjas (in fact, it’s potentially the best one drop for ninjas), carries a Bonesplitter like a boss, and works really well as a critical mass card in creature type archetypes (like zombies). All that is to say that the definition of second-tier support depends on more than the individual power level of a particular card in a singular archetype. Always look at the web of archetypes you are trying to support, because a card that can fill multiple spots in that web decently may have just as much value as a card that fills one spot excellently!
They are not bad cards at all, they are simply not the kind of cards people want them to be.

For example, most Stax decks aren't going to be too interested in CGR, even if you could use it as Stax fodder. Same with Changeling Outcast. Sure, it's good for Ninjas, but people (including me) try to run it because it has all types and looks cool, only to realize it's not really what you want most of the time.

I'm a very big proponent of trying to actually build decks with your card pool. It's surprisingly insightful how much more clearly you can judge a card when you have to fit it into a coherent 23-card pile, rather than the more abstract 360 card pile.
True, but take into account how subjective that is.

For example, in our most recent draft I had a friend who had drafted a {B/G} dredge deck leaving Varolz, the Scar-Striped in the sideboard. He had a lot of self mill, beefy guys like Daemogoth Titan and Gurzigost and cards like Awakening Zone and Worm Harvest as regeneration fodder. I think that was a clear mistake, but neither of us has seen Varolz in action in the cube yet, so who knows. He also won the draft, so maybe I was wrong ...

For example, in our most recent draft I had a friend who had drafted a {B/G} dredge deck leaving Varolz, the Scar-Striped in the sideboard. He had a lot of self mill, beefy guys like Daemogoth Titan and Gurzigost and cards like Awakening Zone and Worm Harvest as regeneration fodder. I think that was a clear mistake, but neither of us has seen Varolz in action in the cube yet, so who knows. He also won the draft, so maybe I was wrong ...
It's difficult because we are always limited by our own skill. We can only approximate what is balanced as far as we can see it, often with our own biases. But I do think it's great advice: If you build the decks, you'll quickly notice which cards are 24th picks, which ones are fine but don't enough and so on.