General Speculation-Thread

Clearly they're going to either add another color or remove a color. Or, better yet, they'll get rid of a color, then add another color a year later.

Ooh, or they'll go the Yugioh route and just add another zone to the game entirely. Interplanar Brushwagg wasn't a gag, it was a portent of what's to come!

(That said, we have seen some of the mechanics from the Playtest cards show up in actual sets, even if they were altered a bit for showtime — the only thing that's weird about Louvaq is that it has the wrong reminder text, while Graveyard Dig just needs an update to its formatting).

EDIT: Actually, wait, it's so obvious...

They're going to rename the game Majick.

Last edited:
I would almost assume the big change to the story and the big change to the gameplay are somehow linked to each other. Maybe there will be a new zone, that represents something from the plot?

As per usual :’)

You can make fun of me, but I am actually a little scared that at some point they introduce a rule change or something that I can't have fun with

:wagg:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh, I'm not making fun of you, it's just that I've been playing since 1999, and every year there's people claiming something new WotC is doing is the end of Magic.

I would almost assume the big change to the story and the big change to the gameplay are somehow linked to each other. Maybe there will be a new zone, that represents something from the plot?

You can make fun of me, but I am actually a little scared that at some point they introduce a rule change or something that I can't have fun with

:wagg:
The story change is probably the ability for non-Planeswalkers to travel between planes again like back in the pre-mending era. As for the gameplay change, my guess is it's either some new evergreen mechanic, a rules change for either Planeswalkers or Legendary Creatures, or a new set-specific mechanic that has ramifications in eternal formats. My best guess is a PW/Legends rules change since it fits the "mending 2.0" lore I suspect this set is angling towards, but there's no real way of knowing.

If this is something really big like a frame change or a rules overhaul, it probably will be announced in January at the latest. The m15 frame update was announced in early January 2014, about 6 months before the change occurred. I would guess WOTC would wait until after the holidays to show off any major updates of that magnitude, even though MOM comes out before June, just to keep the news from being forgotten.

In either case, I'm optimistic that the change will be good. WOTC has been on a roll designing fun and mechanically interesting sets lately, so this could be pretty great.

As for the gameplay change, my guess is it's either some new evergreen mechanic, a rules change for either Planeswalkers

Planeswalkers will be legal as your commander in every format. Vintage, Modern, Standard--hell, even draft, you open a planeswalker, it gets to be your commander.

Jokes aside, your guess is as good as mine, but from MaRo's wording it seems big, likely bigger than a new evergreen mechanic. Personally, I'm wondering if there's a new format or pro league being announced. It'd be very funny if they announced a EDH pro tour.

What's 'mom'? Only mom I'm thinking of is mother of runes
MOM = set code for March Of the Machines, the upcoming set after ONE.