Site News Supporting RipLab: Paid Drafts

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, as you may have noticed we no longer have ads on the site, which means we're running RipLab at a small deficit. Eric and I never made this site as a profit-seeking venture, but it'd be nice not to have to fund it out of pocket. I had an idea I wanted to run by you guys and see where the support lies.

Paid Drafts
Cost - $3 / draft
Prize - $25 Store Credit to the winner

Basically, this would be a way for me to funnel excess CFB funds into server costs and whatever, trading $25 CFB for $24 USD. And if I win the draft the site makes out like a bandit, but after last night I don't think that's a high risk.

Would this be terribly inconvenient for you guys? Would it ruin the friendly draft vibe to have a minimal prize on the line?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
It would be awkward to transfer the money, I like being able to relax and pursue an offbeat strategy if I want to, and the person whose Cube it is would be at an advantage (especially given that RL Cubes tend to be more unique). I'm not opposed to the idea in principle, I just like the vibe we have at the moment.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Por que no los dos? I'm happy to pay 3 bucks to draft, and it might make me remember the time correctly. The credit is a nice prize. We could also easily have free drafts whenever we want.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think we definitely want to build momentum for now, so a few more free ones are fine by me. I'm fine with the cube owner not being eligible for prizes. Maybe they could be mostly free with a paid one every once in a while?

CML

Contributor
Over here we have a guy who is obsessed with his cube; he primps it, he prunes it, and he's happily oblivious to any changes he makes from singleton 720 to singleton 720 being furniture rearrangement in the Soviet sense. Every week he advertises a draft, and every week nobody comes. Why? A lot of reasons -- he isn't all that active in the community and has never changed his mind about anything -- but one of the big ones is that he charges for the drafts, which adds another logistical hurdle to the affairs, another excuse for people to stay home and smoke weed and play Super Smash Bros. If you could surmount this hurdle effortlessly, it'd be a fine idea, but I'm more with Dom on this one.

Throw up some ads again?