Sets Ten Strixhaven Cards I'm Excited About for Cube! My first CubeCobra article!

I really like quandrix apprentice. I'm tying UG into my lands theme, and this is a perfect fusion of that and the various spells themes. Besides TGT's note that there will be plenty of "generic" instant/sorceries in a bant/RUG/etc deck (burn, cantrips, pump spells etc).

this card was gas in limited so quandrix unchecked will do some work. rarely whiffed
it wont block but drawing off more efficient cantrips and counters and turning all your 1g ramp into cultivate

207067_200w.jpg

How do you think Quandrix Apprentice compares to other UG small dorks?
Yeah, you put Quandrix Apprentice on my radar. I'm interested in how you think it compares to Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy or Growth Spiral or Coiling Oracle.
I think Quandrix Apprentice is the best of all of the small UG dorks. In fact, I think it's only outclassed by the Broken UG cards such as Oko, Thief of Crowns and Uro. A lot of the other playable UG creatures in mid-power environments are all-in build arounds like Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy, or small utility creatures like Coiling Oracle. Both types of card have value, but they tend to fall a bit flat compared to options provided by other color combinations. I view Quandrix Apprentice as a happy median between build-around and utility creature. A deck with lots of spells trying to maximize Quandrix Apprentice is going to be able to draw lots of cards, but any deck running the apprentice can still use it to generate at least a card's worth of value. Quandrix Apprentice also has the benefit of not being perceived as a "must kill" creature, because it's effect is small enough to seem harmless despite the fact that it can quickly snowball when left unchecked.

I feel some of the new Strixhaven spells are potentially better than Quandrix Apprentice, but I do not have enough testing with those cards to say yet. Quandrix Command and Decisive Denial might be more powerful or at the very least higher picks. However, those cards are not able to generate card advantage like the Apprentice. In either case, Quandrix Apprentice is seemingly the best non-GRBS Simic creature we have right now.

I've done some testing with Quandrix Apprentice, and I will say that it's actively counterproductive if your {G/U} section does a lot of top-deck manipulation (using cards like Serum Visions and the like.)

Otherwise, it's a pretty fantastic card.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've done some testing with Quandrix Apprentice, and I will say that it's actively counterproductive if your {G/U} section does a lot of top-deck manipulation (using cards like Serum Visions and the like.)

Otherwise, it's a pretty fantastic card.

Doesn't the Apprentice trigger first, and you then stack your deck? Or are you talking about casting multiple deck-stacking cantrips in a single turn?

Onde you know the answer to your own question just as well as I do :p

I don’t think Quandrix Apprentice needs any top-of-library manipulation to work. It just needs cheap instant/sorceries and preferably some that cantrip.

Apprentice will not draw anyone more cards. Just more lands (which are also cards obviously but I hope you get what I mean.) It will not affect the amount of spells drawn throughout the entire game unless a shuffle effect happens and then it will actually have en effect on the spell-drawing statistic.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Onde you know the answer to your own question just as well as I do :p

It was an honest question. I don't understand why it has anti-synergy with something like Serum Visions. Maybe if you want to Counterspell before you draw from your "stacked" deck?

Doesn't the Apprentice trigger first, and you then stack your deck? Or are you talking about casting multiple deck-stacking cantrips in a single turn?

The latter - I have a deck that relies on precisely manipulating what's on top of the library, which can involve using multiple Serum Visions in a turn. Sure, it was good for when I wanted to really dig for lands, but I found that the play experience was generally inferior to "Serum Visions → Coiling Oracle, flip a land onto the battlefield".

There were just too many times where I wished that the Magecraft trigger was optional.

Totally valid fail case. If you are casting multiple Serum Visions and the like, you shouldn't really need the effect anyways.

Yep! I was mostly bringing it up just in case for people who are supporting a "top card matters" Simic Quandrix section.

hitting land drops does help you curve out and the effective numbers of spells you'd otherwise be able play. it could send some good gas to bottom on the other hand