The Black Cube

Serra Archer is so cool with the monstrosity. But maybe lose the ping ability and make it a Healer's Hawk instead?

I'd love to see a whole cycle from malice sentry. One for each color with different stats and keywords maybe, all artifact creatures.

Most of all, I'd love to cube with Dune Rejuvenator.

Only Abiding Seraph, considering how good Abiding Grace is, seems a little too bananas.

All in all, very well designed cards.

Serra Archer is so cool with the monstrosity. But maybe lose the ping ability and make it a Healer's Hawk instead?
I wanted it to have an archer effect. It's the only Serra art I could find. It's definitely crowded on text and doesn't exactly fit my themes, but it's cute, for sure.
I'd love to see a whole cycle from malice sentry. One for each color with different stats and keywords maybe, all artifact creatures.
The unfortunate thing here is that =power is so much better than anything else. Prismatic Sentry with "choose a color" might work best here.
Most of all, I'd love to cube with Dune Rejuvenator.
I'm excited for it. Both a pro and a con versus the original Excavator.
Only Abiding Seraph, considering how good Abiding Grace is, seems a little too bananas.
lol imagine if it were a 3/3... crazy
Yeah... I nerfed his design lol.
brad these cards keep wowing me, i LOVE the one that's cloudshift and kicks to be vindicate
Glad you guys like them. I wasn't feeling them too much, but that'll happen when you make your own shit. Now I'm at like 30/30/50/30/30 for color breakdown. Lands are done unless I add a utility land or two. I'm at about 260 out of 480-500. Then I'll test that down to ~450.

hey, every card in my cube is fair, its a fairstuff-only cube :p

would love to see some p1p1s of this cube once you're ready to start cutting, i have found that to be a great tool for weeding cards out near the end of the process

Talking with Blacksmithy sometimes boils down to "Well, I know ancestral is too much, but I'm sure it's fine if it only draws 2 cards"
it needs to be two BAD cards, like maybe Learn+Investigate or conjure Dandan and Ghost Ship or something, and should probably be a sorcery, but sure

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
"Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If none of them share a card type, put those cards into your hand. Otherwise put one of them into your hand, then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order."
There, fixed! ;)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Actually, what about...

One Track Mind {U}
Instant
Conjure three cards named Obsessive Search into your hand.

Hmm... I wonder what happens when you discard Obsessive Search to hand size, and pay the madness cost...
Edit: I asked a judge, and they say a new cleanup step happens, in which you then have to (again) discard down to 7.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ancient Mantra seems really weak, shouldn't that be "If you do, draw two cards"? There are a ton of super sweet designs though, so I'm nitpicking!

I ran out of inspiration and need some help on the last 3...

As for your haiku's, Sophisticate's Haiku isn't one. "Exile target creature" is just 6 syllables ':) "Exile two target creatures" would work, but seems very strong. You'ld probably have to weaken the first line. Maybe to "Scry 2. Draw a card"?

I tried to come up with a few to help you out, but where finding unique seven syllable effects is hard, finding unique five syllable ones is damn near impossible, and you need twice as many of those! Only

7 syllables:
Destroy all nonblack creatures
Each player loses 5 life.
Counter target creature spell.
Exile target tapped creature.
Destroy target artifact.
Destroy target enchantment.
Destroy target planeswalker.
Regenerate each creature.
Untap all lands you control.
Destroy all black permanents.
Destroy all nonbasic lands.
Exile [Three Syllable Name] Haiku.
Black creatures can't block this turn.
Destroy two target creatures.
Copy target creature spell. (This works because copying a permanent spell creates a token copy nowadays. See e.g. Double Major.)
Amass 3, then populate.
Affinity for creatures.
Detain target permanent.
Reinforce 4—{W}{B}{G}

5 syllables:
Tap all permanents.
Untap all creatures.
Exile all Zombies.
Exile all creatures.
Each player mills 5.
Scry 2. End the turn.
Proliferate twice.
Copy target spell. (Alas, no room to change the targets of the copied spell.)
Buyback {3}{B}{B}
Amass 11.
Support 11.
Scry 2, then cascade.
Madness {B}{R}{G} (Or whichever three colors you want.)
Zombie offering.
Swampcycling 1B
Sacrifice a land.
Replicate {U}{R}
Transmute {1}{B}{B}

Ancient Mantra seems really weak, shouldn't that be "If you do, draw two cards"? There are a ton of super sweet designs though, so I'm nitpicking!

As for your haiku's, Sophisticate's Haiku isn't one. "Exile target creature" is just 6 syllables ':) "Exile two target creatures" would work, but seems very strong. You'ld probably have to weaken the first line. Maybe to "Scry 2. Draw a card"?

I tried to come up with a few to help you out, but where finding unique seven syllable effects is hard, finding unique five syllable ones is damn near impossible, and you need twice as many of those! Only

7 syllables:
Destroy target artifact.
Copy target creature spell. (This works because copying a permanent spell creates a token copy nowadays. See e.g. Double Major.)
Amass 3, then populate.
Affinity for creatures.
Detain target permanent.
Reinforce 4—{W}{B}{G}

5 syllables:
Tap all permanents.
Untap all creatures.
Exile all Zombies.
Exile all creatures.
Each player mills 5.
Scry 2. End the turn.
Proliferate twice.
Buyback {3}{B}{B}
Amass 11.
Support 11.
Scry 2, then cascade.
Zombie offering.
Swampcycling 1B
Sacrifice a land.
Replicate {U}{R}
Transmute {1}{B}{B}
That moment when Haiku Writing becomes a Transferrable Skill :D:D:D:D

I also like:
5 Syllables
You may draw (x) cards.

7 Syllables
Create (X) Treasure Tokens.
Create (X) Tapped Food Tokens.
Target creature connives Twice.

Yeah. I added a line in the post saying it needed a fix. I think that's @Chris Taylor's card.
Ex-i-le? But I just googled it and it's " ˈeɡˌzīl " so I don't know anymore. I'm gonna ask the playgroup how many they pronounce it with. My pronunciation definitely holds three. I dunno.
EDIT: I asked a cute girl and she said two. Case closed.

7 syllables:
Destroy target artifact.
Amass 3, then populate.
Affinity for creatures.
Detain target permanent.
Reinforce 4—{W}{B}{G}

5 syllables:
Tap all permanents.
Untap all creatures.
Exile all Zombies.
Exile all creatures.
Each player mills 5.
Scry 2. End the turn.
Proliferate twice.
Buyback {3}{B}{B}
Amass 11.
Support 11.
Scry 2, then cascade.
Zombie offering.
Swampcycling 1B
Sacrifice a land.
Replicate {U}{R}
Transmute {1}{B}{B}
That moment when Haiku Writing becomes a Transferrable Skill :D:D:D:D

I also like:
5 Syllables
You may draw (x) cards.

7 Syllables
Create (X) Treasure Tokens.
Create (X) Tapped Food Tokens.
Target creature connives Twice.
These are great resources. Some of them might need reminder text for my playgroup, which would ruin the aesthetic, but I'll definitely be pulling from this stuff the next time that I design.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ex-i-le? But I just googled it and it's " ˈeɡˌzīl " so I don't know anymore. I'm gonna ask the playgroup how many they pronounce it with. My pronunciation definitely holds three. I dunno.
EDIT: I asked a cute girl and she said two. Case closed.
Asking cute girls is a valid strategy :D But yeah, it's pronounced [egg-sile], not [egg-sai-lee], the final e is silent.

My cardconjurer isn't allowing me to use image urls anymore. That means that my old save files with url images won't load the cards properly. So that's pretty frustrating.

Power levels? I've got some concerns. This ended up being a much harder cycle to design than I expected.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think it's hard to gauge how powerful these are. A lot depends on the power level of your lower mv threats, as well as on how easy these are to cast. I think you'ld have to run these through a gauntlet, just put them to the test to see how ridiculous they are in practice :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Blood healer seems really weird as a watchwolf, and I'm not sure I like the enabler + payoff style of multicolor design (even if preventing 1 damage isn't the most insane sac outlet)

Maybe this? Design I thought up a bit ago
ZZ_Kruthik.png

Also I want gravity core to say "Exile target spell, ability, or creature" just for yucks :D

It's gonna be really hard to hold up Decaying Haiku for your own creatures, so you have to rely on the mercy of your opponents. How many decks are creatureless/cheat their consequential creatures into play? The flashback on that is nifty, though, as it creates a minigame based in playing around it.

Thunderous Skies can nug two lands at a go; is that intentional? That seems a little rough.

Lifeless Silence rewards NOT playing the game and basically makes the next turn moot, which is generally unfun. Maybe an absurd (like 9-10 mana?) Flashback cost instead?

Good stuff, though! Agreed that Gravity Core is a solid card.

If anyone wants to throw some ideas out there, I'm currently thinking that I'll want:
A cycle of cards like Sewn-Eye Drake where there's possibly a colorless cost, a nonblack hybrid symbol, and a black mana symbol.
A cycle of three color, three mana "charm"s.
Maybe some XXBB costed cards like Basilica Bell-Haunt.
Some BBB, BBBB, BBBBB, etc cards.

I feel that mana costs are a unique way to emphasize the black aspect of the environment.
Still looking to work on these.
Lifeless Silence rewards NOT playing the game and basically makes the next turn moot, which is generally unfun. Maybe an absurd (like 9-10 mana?) Flashback cost instead?
What about Flashback BBBBBB? Both players lose their next turn, kind of. Or maybe you're right and something like 3BBBBB is better.

Hey guys,
I've been on a different assignment at work recently and it gives me a decent amount of free time and computer access. As a result, I've had the opportunity to basically finish two other cube projects. And guess what? There's aspects of both that I hate. I don't especially want to build either. I thought it could be fun to use real cards, but they're lacking in trying to meet all of my goals.

That leads me back to this customs idea. Which I'm sure will be full of shortcomings and disappointment as well. I think that satisfying my entire designer itch within one project may be an unreasonable goal, but we'll see.

That all said, I don't have access to my REDACTED files at work, so I'll be posting the text for the ideas throughout the day. Potentially, I'll transfer them into REDACTED when I get home, but it takes some time to get the right art and all of that.

Cycle of (ETB tapped?) Channel duals. Channel effects:
UB:
2BR: Terminate, maybe Putrefy
WB:
BG: Raise Dead or maybe 1BG Regrowth

Beyond the Grave ... BG
Instant
Choose a creature card in your graveyard. That card deals damage equal to it's power to target creature an opponent controls.

~ ... B
Creature {-}
BBB: Return {cardname} from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate only as a sorcery.
2/1

~ ... WBG or WUB
Legendary Creature {-}
Whenever another nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, create a token that's a copy of it. When that token enters the battlefield, sacrifice it.
3/3

~ Specter ... UBB
Flying
{cardname} has deathtouch as long as it's attacking.
Whenever {cardname} deals combat damage to a player, choose one —
• Draw a card.
• That player returns a permanent they control to its owner’s hand.
• That player discards a card.
2/2

~ ... 1BG or 1WB or 1BB or 1{WG}B
Creature {-}
Whenever you gain life, each opponent loses that much life.
Landfall {-} Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life. If that land was a Swamp, you gain 2 life instead.
3/2

Magus of the Anvil or like Bogardan Blacksmith or something ... 1R or 1RR
Creature {-} Some Wizard
Players have no maximum hand size.
At the beginning of each player’s draw step, that player draws an additional card, then discards a card.
2/2 or 3/3

~ ... BR or 1BR
Creature {-}
Haste
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, destroy up to one target artifact.
2/2 or 3/3

Grave Pact Guy ... BBBB
Creature {-}
Whenever another creature you control dies, each other player sacrifices a creature.
4/4

Mortify 2 ... 1B
Instant
Kicker W
Destroy target creature with mana value 3 or less. If this spell was kicked, exile target creature or enchantment instead.

Putrefy 2 ... 1B
Instant
Kicker G
Destroy target creature with mana value 3 or less. If this spell was kicked, exile target creature or artifact instead.

Villanation ... B
Instant
As an additional cost to cast this spell, pay 1U or sacrifice a creature.
Draw two cards.

Roiling Rotation ... G
Instant
As an additional cost to cast this spell, pay 2 or sacrifice a land.
Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Shuffle your library.
(I'm not sure that there's enough to grab with this right now. Might add Coffers to go with Nykthos.)

Last edited:
gimme the busted guild channel lands PLEASE
I'm nervous that coming in tapped might be too slow, but I'm not sure. Maybe they could be shocks or an always-pain land with no painless option. As one half gets better, the other half needs to get worse. If I make it a shock, the spell better be pretty weak.

You know what? YOU give ME some!!

A lot of today's designs are very derivative, but it's really nice to get two cards in one off of a kicker or some other additional cost.

Ziggurat of Mortification
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add W or B.
1WB, Discard this: Destroy target creature or enchantment.

Ziggurat of Recoiling
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add U or B.
1UB, Discard this: Return target permanent to its owner's hand, then that player discards a card.

Ziggurat of Blight
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add B or R.
1BR, Discard this: Target player discards two cards and loses 3 life. Activate only as a sorcery.

Ziggurat of Putrefaction
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add B or G.
1BG, Discard this: Destroy target artifact or creature.

Ziggurat of Mortification
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add W or B.
1WB, Discard this: Destroy target creature or enchantment.

Ziggurat of Recoiling
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add U or B.
1UB, Discard this: Return target permanent to its owner's hand, then that player discards a card.

Ziggurat of Blight
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add B or R.
1BR, Discard this: Target player discards two cards and loses 3 life. Activate only as a sorcery.

Ziggurat of Putrefaction
Land
T, Pay 1 life: Add B or G.
1BG, Discard this: Destroy target artifact or creature.
I really like this conceptually. I'd probably add a mana to the Channels or something like that to balance them a little for my own tastes.