The Board Game Thread

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've played a bit of it, I'm a big fan of Dominion. What's your username? Hit me up in Discord if you want to play.

My user name is "Trunkers".

Also, this is probably the most fun I've had playing so far:
sulaAbp.png

I'm so bad at the game, but when I figure something out it feels really nice.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I used to play a lot on the making fun version. I had some problems with the new version, but I tried it again this weekend and it seems that other then going a little slow on my tablet its working pretty smooth now so I'll probably start playing again. Name: FSR

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Aston and I played some games. Pretty fun, if you don't mind being patient and waiting for my turns that take forever.

There are so many deep interactions, and I'm still such a noob that it's hard for me to have much of a gameplan. Like, I go in blind and sometimes I figure out an engine, and sometimes something is a bit off and nothing works at all.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it's just the type of player that I am, but I find the "recommended" kingdom sets way more fun than the randomly generated ones. The random ones often are missing something critical that allows you to build any sort of synergy-based engine, and attempting to do so usually results in a loss. Maybe that's part of the skill though, recognizing what types of decks are possible on a given board. I just want to end every game by drawing my whole deck. Is that so wrong?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
It's not wrong to want that, but you're going to seriously hamper your winrate trying to build non-existent engines or forcing weak engines on boards with powerful non-engine strategies. I think a big part of the fun of dominion is judging the kingdom, there's a lot that goes into that. Unfortunately, sometimes this is going to lead to you playing a rather rote deck with few interesting decisions every once in a while, but that's the price you pay for variance. But regardless, engines are definitely viable the vast majority of the time, especially with events effectively giving you more cards to the kingdom, the chances of all the ingredients being present rises while conversely the larger overall cardpool makes it so powerful 2 and 3 card combos that can potentially invalidate an engine are less likely to come up.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, in Magic most people have a preference for combo, aggro, or control-oriented decks as well, so it's only natural that you'ld have a preference for a certain playstyle in Dominion as well :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, in Magic most people have a preference for combo, aggro, or control-oriented decks as well, so it's only natural that you'ld have a preference for a certain playstyle in Dominion as well :)

For me it feels a bit analogous to like... cubing with a random pile of cards vs. cubing with a tailored list. Like in the beginning, my cube was just a box of borrowed cards, but the result of this is that the drafted decks were not as rich with interactions. It tended towards "good stuff" basic decks. There was still skill involved, but as a player I had different levels of enjoyment associated with them.

I think that's reasonable analogy, except even the best mix of "goodstuff" in a Dominion kingdom isn't always obvious. The speculation portion is the part I enjoy the most (like drafting in cube), and the games are short enough that it doesn't take long to see who's plan worked out best. In addition to determining which cards work best together, there's the second of layer of figuring out exactly how many of each is correct, which is also an enjoyable thought exercise.

Edit: I'm back online now, too. I like this implementation. My user is Diakonov

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anybody played any of those other deck-based card games? I saw some in a board game shop in Utrecht yesterday (I think Game of Thrones, LOTR, a Cthulu one), but wasn't sure if they were any good.

The Fantasy Flight LCG's? I've only played Android: Netrunner, which is excellent. Rotation is coming soon, so it might be a good time to get interested.

I've heard good things about all of the other LCG's as well. Arkham Horror: The Card Game (Cthulhu one) is the latest, and it's actually a co-op game, which is curious. People have been raving about it on Reddit and BoardGameGeek.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I like Doomtown. It just died, so depending on your goals its either the best or worst time to buy in.

The L5R game could be really good and you can get in on the ground floor.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think that's reasonable analogy, except even the best mix of "goodstuff" in a Dominion kingdom isn't always obvious.
On the other hand I won a game yesterday playing Haggler Big Money and I'm 99% certain that this was the legitimate best deck in the kingdom. Then again my opponent bought trade routes and border villages in an attempt to do something different, so maybe it wasn't as obvious as it seemed.

Either way, I lose reading boards wrong enough of the time that I can't help but agree. There's also some number of games that I might win, but only because my opponent also missed the better deck also. There's plenty of depth and room to improve

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Seriously considering kickstarting Dwellings of Eldervale with the legendary pledge. I've watched a bunch of videos, and this looks like a really fun Euro/Ameritrash crossover, that reminds me of Terra Mystica in some ways, but a bit more interactive and streamlined.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Any of you guys play Gloomhaven? I got a gift card to a local game shop and picked up Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. It seems pretty mechanically sound, and the box has a much smaller footprint than the original. Each turn is an engaging little puzzle, and this version has a wonderful tutorial that slowly pulls back the curtain on the game's complexity mission by mission.

A while back we also went super deep on the Arkham Horror LCG, which is tremendously engaging as a deckbuilder once you acquire a bit of a collection. I do think there are some serious words that could be said about the game's Taboo system though, which is a sort of errata to ban, power down, or increase the experience cost required to acquire certain cards. It kind of was a feel bad element of a wonderfully brilliantly designed game. I'd love to hear someone else's thoughts, if they've played it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have played one session of Gloomhaven to try it out, and I have the Steam version. It's a super cool game, but it's most fun to explore with some friends or a loved one. It's not really the style of game my wife likes, though, and it's a bit too expensive considering all of the other board games I already own :')

Any of you guys play Gloomhaven? I got a gift card to a local game shop and picked up Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. It seems pretty mechanically sound, and the box has a much smaller footprint than the original. Each turn is an engaging little puzzle, and this version has a wonderful tutorial that slowly pulls back the curtain on the game's complexity mission by mission.

I've played and loved Gloomhaven. My group was about 30-ish scenarios in when lockdown hit, and we're just about up to the final boss.

I haven't played Jaws of the Lion yet, although I expect we will want to after we're finished with Gloomhaven and the expansion. I've heard it's a much tighter experience which honestly doesn't sound that bad as Gloomhaven does have a lot going on in it and could probably stand to be pared down just a little.

Anyone play Twilight Imperium? I got a copy of TI3 for dirt cheap back in 2017 right before TI4 came out and adore it; I'm already looking forward to dusting it off once I'm fully vaccinated.

However, it falls into the usual trap of combat being fun only for the people directly involved in it. I'm looking to house rule this (and a lot of other things, including the abomination that is the tech tree) into something that I'd actually enjoy. The rule I'm thinking of:

EMERGENCY SESSION OF THE GALACTIC SENATE:
Whenever multiple players engage in combat with one another, all other players immediately begin a special session of voting on laws. The individual who is closest clockwise to the Speaker (aka the Speaker Pro Tempore) reveals the top card of the Agenda deck, and players not involved in combat may vote as normal, exhausting planets to do so. After each Agenda card is resolved, the Speaker Pro Tempore continutes to reveal Agenda cards and players not involved in combat continue to vote on them until combat is resolved. Laws passed do NOT affect units involved in combat.

~~~~~~

The idea here is to keep people occupied during combat, and has the side benefit of granting some urgency to the players involved. Is this idea obviously busted or do people think it warrants a playtest? For people without experience in TI, you typically vote on only one law per round, so I'm expecting this would increase the number of laws passed in the later rounds by 2 or 3 per round, resulting in an additional 50-150% laws passed per game.