Card/Deck The Boros Legion (RW)

THIS IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE TRUTH ><
god why am I getting into this again. It's like debating where to put the braces in coding for gods sake

Sorry that was the joke I was trying to make. But I realize the punchline may have been buried under too many layers of irony, especially given the delivery was in text form.

I agree with others (echoing the post I made a bit ago in the mana-curve thread I dredged up few weeks back) that starting with some kind of architecture at the macro-design level for your cube seems to make the process more manageable. But then once you have it mostly fleshed out it is ok to break the structure in small places as necessary.

So after looking at all the new cards (new for me, not for you guys), i am still more or less stuck on oldies in Boros... i think i’m just getting old and fear change.
i LOVE the historic mechanic but i wish it wasn’t so centered in WU... but it does pivot nicely into red via the Jeskai prowess/artifacts/spells thing that’s been a thing since last i played.

does anyone have good experience with any of these cards?

EDIT: not sure why Tiana, Ship’s Caretaker isn’t showing.

Those are exactly the two cards I run from that list. Feather is awesome with the right support, the split card is decent and flexible.

What combat tricks are you guys running to support Feather? I love the card in constructed (RW Feather was my favorite constructed deck in the last 5 years, and she's my Historic Brawl commander), but I found that the density of tricks required to make her work was taking up too many slots.

I've shifted over to running Winota, who is also a neat card advantage engine, because you're naturally going to have a 50/50 mix of humans and non-humans in a Boros deck, and she pops off with something like a Rabblemaster or Heroic Reinforcements.

Winota is a gross auto-value engine. It doesn't request anything from the drafter and churns out free attackers easily.

I like that Feather is fine on its own as a 3/4 flyer, but also lets you earn some sweet payoffs in a very RW way.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I find Feather a bit awkward in these decks because they want pump effects that are already recursive to ensure a steady stream of Heroic/Prowess triggers and avoid the old problem of drawing too many conditional creatures and not enough tricks (or vice versa). If most of my tricks already have rebound, flashback, Adventure, and the like, how much additional value am I really getting from Feather? Only working with instants/sorceries is a big restriction - as the UR Spells decks have shown, it's lot easier to build around Prowess than effects like Young Pyromancer and some of the best enhancers in these decks are Auras with built-in recursion (Gryff's Boon/Sentinel's Eyes in WR but also Rancor, Moldervine Cloak, the new Demonic Embrace etc). Additionally, as a 3-drop that can be hard to cast, it can be hard to curve out into it or protect it when it comes down

I never see any discussion of Anax and Cymede but I like it a lot for these decks as a card that keys off more things and rewards you for going large and going wide (same reason Eidolon of Countless Battles is one of my pet cards)

I think the Adventure creatures are a bigger boost to this kind of strategy than anything else in recent sets. Pump on a creature that leads to tough sequencing choices (Faerie Guidemother, Rimrock Knight) is exactly what these decks are looking for but even cards like Brazen Borrower or Bonecrusher Giant are much better tools for aggressive spell-heavy decks than the Delver of Secrets that everyone starts with

I need to see more Arc Lightnings run with Feather. One to my guy, two to yours....

I really want Feather to be a thing in my cube, but it's a square peg in a round hole. The adventure bros completely validate Feather as an archetype if Alf and Onder are any evidence. My trouble with Feather mostly relates to how it pivots into the other guilds. Alf addresses this partially with the green gro creatures: quirion dryad, deeproot champion, but that's too low powered for me.

Then there's my pet card:

Which is just gas, but has been designed out of my cube. Still very worth considering for the archetype

Which really gets gobs of value with arcanist and feather.

Feather requires just so much extra leg work to get going. Neat card, but I don't think it's worth running a whole suite of cards that you'd otherwise be ignoring at a given power level.

I think Winota is the cleanest and most efficient Boros card available right now. Clear signpost in draft and deckbuilding, good body on its own, and it's effectively capped by the higher end humans you run in your cube. She's gross in formats where you get extreme consistency and can afford to slot otherwise uncastable haymakers in your deck, but I think it's much more tame in the majority of Riptide cubes. The big thing for me is that it's a card that makes me want to go into RW if I see it early enough. Most Boros cards do not do that for me or my drafters.

That's really cool except for the pro red, which is just gonna ruin my buddy Alex's life.

You could add damage senders like Boros Reckoner and Stuffy Doll, which also lives from a Wildfire. Blasphemous Act slots right in. Seems really solid as a deck.

Get the poster over here! Last time I was on mtgcube, it was all "Is this powermax enough?" People asking about low powered cards were getting downvoted during spoiler season and shit. Really narrow-minded community that didn't want anyone to stray from powermax. Had to leave after a few visits because it was just so bad. Go ahead and powermax, it's pretty fun, but let other people have ideas.

You could add damage senders like Boros Reckoner and Stuffy Doll, which also lives from a Wildfire. Blasphemous Act slots right in. Seems really solid as a deck.

Get the poster over here! Last time I was on mtgcube, it was all "Is this powermax enough?" People asking about low powered cards were getting downvoted during spoiler season and shit. Really narrow-minded community that didn't want anyone to stray from powermax. Had to leave after a few visits because it was just so bad. Go ahead and powermax, it's pretty fun, but let other people have ideas.

It's definitely changed for the better. I pop in every now and then since I use mainly use Reddit for other subs, but around a month back things came to a head and the bigger dipshits ran away back to Discord once people started calling them out and they realized people were tired of their shit. Magic has this habit of attracting some of the most socially retarded people I've ever encountered in my life and unfortunately those elements plagued r/mtgcube for the better part of a year. But not as much over the last month, which has been great.

I think the quality of discussion has improved immensely since then with a much friendlier environment.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I like the pseudo-Pinatas thing a lot! Nowadays there are enough creatures that work well with those effects explicitly or implicitly that you don't even have to dabble in the pro-red stuff that can randomly hose people

Been trying something kind of strange in Boros, a madness/reanimator theme... With cards like

Plus Red’s madness enablers, the pairing can take on an angle you’d be used to seeing in Rakdos.
Also, OG Gisela is a pretty sweet reanimator target and just one of those cards that screams COOL! to Timmy drafters like myself. And Boros Reckoner ofc is one of the better targets that falls into the 3 or less restriction White often has.

I recently stumbled upon two cards that work under the "doesn't get killed by Wildfire" clause and that happen to be good on their own.

The exemplars survive all of your boardwipes and turns all burn spells into way more interesting combat tricks.

The Archangel has triple white so that makes it a hard sell for me, but it's right around the power level I want. Has anyone played it?

PS: misread the exemplars. I really wish they came back EoT.