The Elegant Cube

Current info
Current cube version: 5.0.4
https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/elegant

Original Post

Cube version: 4.6
Cube Tutor link - http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/4494

This is an evolution from my cube. The changes in philosophy and execution have been fairly drastic and I decided to make another post as to not mix the discussion. After years of crafting theories and testing them, I'm finally happy with the state of the cube.

Summary
The Elegant Cube aims to be a format that is, above all, fun. Fun for new players, who need a forgiving draft section and don’t know what most cards do. Fun for veteran players, who will explore a deep, interesting limited environment.

This cube rewards synergy, but does not mandate it. It has 20+ layered archetypes, ranging from obvious to obscure.

Card selection takes into account how simple a card is to grasp, which is a combination of its elegance and resonance. Drafting a pack should feel exciting, not overwhelming.

Principles
These are the guiding principles of the Slow Cube, the ideals that guide the design decisions. They should be followed in general for card choices, but not strictly since they often conflict.

Approachable - When deviating from the powermax cubes, cube environments vary a lot, and realistically only the owner will know it deeply, in some cases along with a group that plays it often. It is extremely important for the cube to be approachable by veterans and new players. Magic is already a daunting game. The mental challenge should be about making strategic decisions, not about grasping the board state.

Creativity - In today’s connected world, MtG constructed decks and draft strategies quickly converge, leaving a vacuum in which players who enjoy deckbuilding have to play homebrews or EDH. The Slow Cube should be a space for exploration and experimentation.

Unique decks - It is amazing how many different decks with different strategies have been in the history of MtG. Cube should provide a wide variety of decks so that each cube deck feels different and replayability is maximized.

Unique games - Cube games should be memorable. When decks are unique, we’re already halfway there. Decks should not be so consistent that the matchup is predictable, and different card interactions should happen each time.

Drafting is part of the game - Drafting is more anticipated than actually playing, and is a large and important part of the experience. It should be hard to draft a good deck, but easy to avoid a trainwreck.

Design

Slow - Cards that have no immediate impact need to be playable. Synergies need enough time to be realistically assembled. Many fun cards take setup and some investment. Explosive aggro can exist, but cannot be dominant.

Low power level - To keep a wide variety of cards, effects and archetypes playable, the power level needs to be low by today’s standards. As a benchmark, Serra Angel should be a 1-5 pick for a good stuff drafter.

Low power removal - To allow interesting threats not immediately impactful to be playable, removal should not be very efficient and most should be sorcery speed. This diminishes the necessity of threats to be recursive too, which is a source of repetitive gameplay. Control decks are encouraged to defend with blockers, rather than just have a lot of removal, making a board presence more relevant. High power removal is an easy pick, and decks can feel too similar with too much of it, while they cannot load up too much low power removal lest be overrun by cheap creatures. Finally, this allows combat tricks and auras to be playable.

Non-flat power band - A low power level excludes many cards that are simply too hard to keep in check, but below that there are some interesting, high power cards that are worth running. They need to be answerable, but some variation in power level is welcome for draft signaling, excitement, and easier pick decisions early on. Examples of the top of the power band are Siege-Gang Commander, Wall of Omens, Kokusho, the Evening Star, Mana Leak and Rishkar, Peema Renegade.

Avoidance of repetition - Limit tutor effects and especially repetitive play patterns, such as recursive cards and easy loops.

Elegant cards - A big component of approachability, especially for new players, is how easy it is to read a card.

Resonant cards - Another big component of approachability is how easy it is to grasp and remember what it does.

405-420 cards - To have some uncertainty about whether a card will appear or not, the cube will have at least 405 cards (88.9% used for 8 players). To make it feasible to maintain and foster familiarity, it should have at most 420 cards (85.7% used for 8 players)

Singleton - The simplicity of saying “there is one of each card” is important and elegant. The presence of each card is significant for the environment. The presence of two adds a level of consistency that makes a seeded deck obvious and cuts down on creativity and increases the consistency and repetition. It does have the drawback of making it difficult to draft a deck around a specific card, but overcoming that is considered part of the challenge.

Booster sizes for fewer players - To mitigate archetype dilution with fewer players:
  • 8 players: 3 packs of 15 cards
  • 7 players: 3 packs of 16 cards
  • 6 players: 4 packs of 13 cards
  • 5 players: 5 packs of 11 cards
Non-Basic Lands- A good fraction of the real estate (10%-12.5%) should be non-basic lands. This is important to reward not hate drafting with consistency or splashes, decrease the frequency of non-games and allow tri-color decks or splashes to be more creative about combining strategies and going deep into archetypes.

Balance Synergy and Good Stuff - Synergy archetype decks and good-stuff decks should have the same average power level. Synergy deck can be potentially more powerful at the top of the power band, as they are harder to draft. There should be a spectrum of synergistic vs good-stuff decks, with a roughly even distribution along it.

Archetype design

Prevalence - Around 20-25 archetypes are supported, and it is expected all or almost all of them to be draftable in a given draft. It is generally safer to go into an archetype after picking a payoff.

Payoffs - A payoff should be the reward for drafting a deck around an archetype. It must be exciting in that archetype. Many are playable in other decks, but this is not a hard requirement. An archetype may have as few as 2 payoffs, and normally has at most 5, depending on their nature.

Real estate - An archetype should already have critical mass or be close to it to be considered. Real estate is very valuable, so cards that are not hard payoffs should either slot in at least 3 archetypes - counting the emergent control/aggro archetypes; or slot in at least 1 and be playable in most decks.

Some anchored on one color - The archetypes with payoffs in a single color and artifacts leave the secondary color(s) open, leaving space for exploration.

Some anchored on two colors - The ones with payoffs in two colors are more structured, but not very large and need to leave space for filling the rest of the deck. It’s also best to leave offshoots in other colors for a splash or a partial archetype to be possible. Creativity should not be stifled by the two color archetypes.

Card inclusion criteria
These aspects are taken into account when adding or removing a card:
  1. Maximize: Fun - the subjective criteria that I do not dare to try to explain.
  2. Maximize: Execution Elegance - how long it takes to understand what a card does.
  3. Maximize: Concept Elegance - how easy it is to remember what a card does.
  4. Balance: Power level - must be high enough to be playable but not too high that it warps win rate.
  5. Maximize: Synergies - how many archetypes want this card.
  6. Balance: Genericness - how many decks want to play a given card.
  7. Balance: Options - how difficult it is to decide an optimal play with this card. Too few options and the decks plays themselves. Too many and the games drag on for long with a lot of irrelevant decisions.
Psychographic Profiles
How the cube aims to cater to the classic MTG psychographic profiles.

Johnny/Jenny - Engines, build-arounds, draft quests, synergies and open-ended cards. A wide array of archetypes that are open for experimentation. Many small synergies to consider. Many cards that make you think “Huh. How do I break this?” A slow and weak enough environment that many different decks are competitive.

Timmy/Tammy - Cards that are interesting and fun by themselves. Many synergies and corner cases, unexpected interactions. Payoffs that can be taken to epic levels. Rare cards allow a variety of experiences and some swingy gameplay.

Spike - This is a wide, complex and multi-layered drafting environment. Mastering it should be difficult. Games are longer and less dictated by the luck of the opening. Drafting requires some creativity to get the most out of your pool, with most cards requiring some kind of investment in deckbuilding or gameplay risk. Pick orders are subjective.

Booster sizes for fewer players
To mitigate archetype dilution and keep them roughly with the same power with fewer than 8 players, the booster setup depends on number of players:
  • 8 players: 3 packs of 15 cards (360 used, 45 picks, 360 impressions, 276 readings)
  • 7 players: 3 packs of 16 cards (336 used, 48 picks, 408 impressions, 273 readings)
  • 6 players: 4 packs of 13 cards (312 used, 52 picks, 364 impressions, 252 readings)
  • 5 players: 5 packs of 11 cards (275 used, 55 picks, 330 impressions, 225 readings)
Used is the number of cards from the cube included in the draft. Picks is the number of cards picked by each player. Impressions is the number of cards seen by each player, counting repetitions. Readings is the number of cards seen by each player, excluding repetitions.
Sample decks

Samples draft decks
These are the decks from a 6-player draft of version 4.5.

UR Spells

BG Artifacts

UB Tempo

WG Flintstones

UB Horobi Control

WGr Midrange

Updates 4.6.1 to 4.6.5, made over the last 10 months, combined:

These updates were small. Some goals:
  • Removing some cards that were too narrow and went unused almost all the time
  • Having critical mass for zombies, elves, and goblins
  • Removing false signals for archetypes not supported in certain colors
  • Using new goodies from GRN and RNA
In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

Updates 4.7 - 4.7.2, a major update plus two immediate follow-ups.

Goals:
  • Green needs more reach
  • Green is boring
  • Green needs more support for UG flash
  • Consolidate RG Enrage/Wildfire
  • Consolidate BRG Sacrifice, make green official; Jund was boring
  • Make WB Lifegain more obvious, black needs more
  • Consolidate UBG Graveyard, green needs more support
  • Remove Pirates
  • Artifacts is WUR instead of UB
  • Counters is WBG instead of BG
  • Create hybrid multicolor section with 10 cards (one per color pair), remove 2 slots from each color to make room
  • Use new goodies from WAR and MH1
  • Reduce number of 3-drops
  • Alleviate power creep

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

In:

Out:

Moved to hybrid section:

Hybrid section:

Update 4.7.3

In:

Out:

With counters supported in white and the new proliferate cards in green (Evolution Sage and Pollenbright Druid), there are too many counters payoffs already, and the archetype is one of the best supported. I can do away with Hardened Scales now, which is very swingy.

Other tribes have at least two payoffs, with at most one meant to be played only in that archetype. For balancing (and to prevent elves from going to very well supported to not much supported), I'm adding back Immaculate Magistrate. Imperious Perfect is very likely to be snatched by other green decks, and might be deemed too strong.

Archetypes:

{W}{U}{B} Humans
{W}{U}{R} Artifacts
{U}{B}{G} Graveyard
{B}{R}{G} Sacrifice
{W} {B}{G} Counters
{W}{U} Tappers
{R}{G} Enrage/Wildfire
{W}{B} Lifegain
{U}{G} Flash
{U}{R} Spells
{W}{X} Enchantments
{U}{X} Fliers
{R}{X} Pingers
{G}{X} Ramp
{U} Wizards
{B} Zombies
{R} Goblins
{R} Burn
{G} Elves
{X} Blink

Update 4.7.4

In:

Warteye Witch is a much needed payoff for sacrifice and generally a good card that help balancing out games (if your creatures are dying, you get some help).

Birthing Boughs can be used to make any of the tribal decks - which tend to be fast - more midrangey, and has some random synergies with whatever cards reference specific types. An artifact that pumps out overpriced tokens is the level of snowballing I'm willing to accept. It's also good in the flash deck, since leftover mana can be used to make a token.

Out:

Vanquish the Weak is ok, but very unexciting and will often feel bad when it cannot hit the one creature that needs to be destroyed. The 3cc slot is crowded too.

Diamond Mare is bad, and there are too many 1/3s around gumming up the board.

Update 4.7.5

In:

Out:

Ambuscade is great in UG Flash and exciting to use optimally. Elephant Guide comes out because 3cc is too stacked. Phantom Nishoba is an exciting fatty to attack with, contrary to Tolsimir.

I love the design principles behind this cube. The level of balance and depth evident in this cube are really refreshing.

Choosing to make the format slow and lower powered is not intuitive, but I think it makes a ton of sense if the goal is to design the most satisfying draft format. I don't hold it against anybody if part of their goal is to play the most powerful cards they can get, but I tend to prefer the goals you've laid out for this format.

I wish more cubes were designed at a lower power level and a slower speed. Thanks for publishing it and explaining your thinking. I priced it out, and I think I'll work on putting together something very similar to this with some concessions to lower the price initially.

Thanks for the kind words!

I priced it out, and I think I'll work on putting together something very similar to this with some concessions to lower the price initially.

Looking at http://www.cubetutor.com/price/4494, you can shave off a _lot_ of the cost at little expense to the design.

Comments about the expensive cards and how important I feel they are:
  • Replace: Shocklands ($6-$19 each) and Checklands ($4-$14 each) with Gates/Taplands/Gainlands. This does have the effect of pushing aggro a bit deeper into monocolor, and making slower decks more clunky and more vulnerable to aggro, but it should be ok given monocolor aggro isn't very strong to start with.
  • Decide: If you cut Smokestack (currently $7), cut Braids too or the deck becomes a trap.
  • Decide: Splinter Twin ($6) is a cool "hidden" deck. Not only it goes off with Pestermite as the classic deck, it also combos with Zealous Conscripts and Combat Celebrant (the latter being hilariously stonewalled by any first striker).
  • Keep: Ripjaw Raptor ($5) is a lynchpin of RG Wildfire.
  • Keep: Metallic Mimic ($5) is an amazing card. It supports any tribal theme, counters, and artifacts. One of the few decent and fun artifact creatures.
  • Keep: Goblin Bombardment ($5) is a key sacrifice enabler.
  • Replace: Cards above the $5 mark that are replaceable: Carnage Tyrant ($21), Life from the Loam ($17), Steel Overseer ($15), Vraska's Contempt ($14), Oblivion Stone ($11), Enlightened Tutor ($10), Grim Lavamancer ($10), Primeval Titan ($9), Phyrexian Arena ($9), Torment of Hailfire ($9), Pyromancer's Goggles ($8), Chromatic Lantern ($7), Birds of Paradise ($7), Neheb, the Eternal ($7), Kokusho, the Evening Star ($5), Lightning Greaves ($5), Rite of Replication ($5).
The cuts suggested might shave off ~60% of the price.

Thanks for the kind words!
Looking at http://www.cubetutor.com/price/4494, you can shave off a _lot_ of the cost at little expense to the design.

Here's what I came up with last night: http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/148545. Given the cards I own, this ends up being about a $175 cube makeover. Not too bad.
  • I subbed in a mix of 30 dual lands that I own. I'll probably buy checks and shocks when they rotate out of standard and skip the scry lands.
  • I have Grim Lavamancer, Metallic Mimic, Goblin Bombardment, and Birds of Paradise.
  • I don't mind buying Splinter Twin, Ripjaw Raptor, Oblivion Stone, Rite of Replication, Smokestack, and Pyromancer's Goggles. Those are all fun cube cards to have.
  • M20 Steel Overseer is only $2.
  • Necroskitter has spiked to $10, which is annoying. I think I'm only about $3 worth of excited about that card, even though it's cool how it adds variety and pays off the -1/-1 cards.
I don't mind investing a bit on stuff like dual lands and archetype pillars.
I should actually try to get a version of this cube down to a 4-6 player size - perhaps 300 cards to go through most of the cards without lots of reading and burning during the draft. But anyway, I don't know the cube enough to approach that problem for now. Maybe after further study. I have a group of four that wants to do some cube, and two are pretty new, so this style of cube seems great. I'd like to get that number to 5 or 6, but I doubt I'll end up hosting 8 player drafts any time soon.

I'm looking at your changes, pretty excited to see how the swaps will go! I may end up following you in with the ones that work out.

Some comments:
  • Be careful with creature lands, especially the ally ones (Celestial Colonnade et al). They are very powerful in this format since there isn't a lot of powerful instant speed removal, and games tend to be slow. All ally ones except for Lavaclaw Reaches are probably in the top 5% of the power band there.
  • I've ran painlands for a long time. Since decks are slow and there isn't a lot of lifegain by design, they are not very good and only really usable in aggro. Put that together with the canopy lands and enemy colors skew heavily aggro with this mana base, which will push ally combinations into control.
  • I've actually tested ~70% of the nonland cards you're swapping in. They look great!
  • I think you'll find Aggressive Mammoth to be too weak. Haven't tested it though.
  • Faithless Looting is super sweet, but it may be a trap signaling red is graveyard.

Cutting down to 300 cards will require cutting some archetypes. I'm a bit too attached to them to suggest which ones to cut =/ Perhaps moving some triangle archetypes to be pairs.

Update 4.7.6

In:

Courier is one rare good artifact creature. Colors other than blue are in need of card advantage mechanisms, and red needs to have its artifacts theme reinforced. I'm concerned it may signal red graveyard falsely, but it looks more like a burn/artifacts card than graveyard.

Winding Way is a better Mulch, which I've always wanted to run as a green graveyard enabler but looked so weak to most people they didn't use even when they really should. The option to take the creatures instead makes it a much more generic card, and a powerful graveyard enabler.

Out:

Consulate Skygate was the green card that no one noticed. Green had issues with fliers and it was there as an answer. It was rarely if ever maindecked though, and now green has a lot more weapons to fight fliers.

Genesis is powerful and repetitive, but a key graveyard payoff. The problem is how between it and Golgari Grave-Troll, the 5cc slot is crowded in green graveyard. Despite my concerns with Troll not having reminder text for Dredge, I opted to remove the card that I'm more anxious about the power level.

Since I typed these for another thread, leaving these here from the last draft:

UG Tempo (6-1)

An aggro-control deck at heart, deploys early threats and maintains tempo advantage with bounce (Man-o'-War, Time of Ice, Into the Roil), tempo counterspells (Frilled Mystic, Counterspell), and can fight a long game with the card draw that's aggro-friendly (Looter il-Kor, Ongoing Investigation, Chart a Course, Shapers' Sanctuary, Mystic Archaeologist). This deck was always on the offensive, but playing an interactive game of tempo attrition.

I drafted this deck, and what I learned from it is that UG Flash is still shaky to be actually flash. When I removed Wilderness Reclamation and Trollbred Guardian it became much better. I tested afterwards the deck in an all-in Flash build, and then Wilderness Reclamation becomes a real payoff. Will use M20 goodies to change the archetype significantly.

WU Fliers (5-1)

This deck's plan A is evasion. Combining evasive creatures like Selfless Spirit, Flickerwisp, and Warkite Marauder with buffs (Curiosity, Squire's Devotion, Vulshok Battlegear, Lightning Greaves) meant it was always applying pressure on the opponent and forcing them into the defensive. Racing it with aggro or midrange threats was hard due to the lifelinkers and the walls. Many games finished with a burst of flash creature EOT (Nimble Obstructionist, Pestermite) + Great Teacher's Decree killing the opponent out of nowhere.

From this deck I learned Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive might be a bit too good. The player said "she was happy when her opponents wasted removal on Glory-Bound Initiate, because her win condition was Tetsuko." I loved how the flash creatures and instants gave the deck some explosiveness. An interesting version of the good old WU Fliers.

It's been 5 months, so these posts are written with the benefit of hindsight.

Update 4.7.7

In:

This is the M20 update. The main goal is to rework UG Flash and consolidate it as an aggro-control deck. Brineborn Cutthroat, Spectral Sailor, Nightpack Ambusher and Hinterland Logger are the relevant cards here, all adding to this plan and acting as payoff for not casting a spell in your turn. I was a bit afraid Nightpack Ambusher would be too strong, but turns out to be fairly tame in my cube in a random green deck. I avoid double-faced cards and the werewolf flipping mechanic is a tad complex, but I really like how it plays and how it subtly works well with flash, so I opened an exception and included Hinterland Logger.

Other M20 goodies that help existing archetypes:
Other cards:
  • Sheer Drop: Tappers payoff, removal, counters filler, mana sink
  • Cumber Stone: Artifacts filler, unique effect, control tool, tokens hoser
  • Grind // Dust: Bad counters enabler (goes with Necroskitter, Generous Patron, and proliferate) and payoff. Good removal at worst. Flexible enough for a gold slot yet best in WBG Counters, especially Bad Counters.
  • Good-Fortune Unicorn: Tokens payoff, counters enabler. Elegant card. Hope it's not too slowbally.
  • Mutavault: I've wanted this for a while, and with all the tribes going around, this is way more interesting than Mishra's Factory, which I have run for almost 10 years.

Out:

I removed the enchantments deck since it was so weird when put together, without a plan besides plopping down Sigil of the Empty Throne or Helm of the Gods while you do random things.
Reworked UG flash, removed some cards that didn't help with the tempo plan:
Blue has too much card advantage compared to other colors, so I'm controlling that and the power level by removing:
Other changes:

Updates 4.7.8-4.7.11

In:

• Master of Etherium: Artifacts payoff to replace The Antiquities War
  • Gelectrode: Perfect pingers/spells signal.
  • Merfolk Trickster: Became fond of it playing Dominaria draft. It has 1001 uses, is a tapping enabler, wizard, good in flash, does not have evasion (too many blue creature have evasion) and 2-toughness (1 is very fragile in this cube).
  • Raging Swordtooth: Enrage enabled, survives wildfire, dinosaur, good body, hits a ton of creatures and tokens. I expect this to be good in any RG deck, but amazing in enrage/wildfire, ramp, or dinosaurs.
  • Gingerbrute: Flavorful (heh), golem filler (hard to find good ones), good artifact creature (again not easy to find these), heroic. Did a lot of work for my in ELD prerelease.
  • Once Upon a Time: Resonant, green needs consistency, unique effect of being cast at the start of the game, flash (it's an instant). One draft later I remove this, because I don't like auto-includes.

Out:

• The Antiquities War: I often look at the curve of specific decks. This is one of 5 4cc artifacts blue cards, clunky, and complex. Its chapter 3 is a cool win condition, but I feel like the complexity is not worth it here.
  • Thousand-Year Storm: No one wants to take the risk of drafting this, and not enough cheap spells to make it actually viable.
  • Faerie Seer: Too much evasion.
  • Heaven // Earth: Too similar to Firespout, except people actually pick Firespout. I don't actually think there is anything wrong with this card, except that few people realize you can cast it for G+(X=0) EOT, then Earthquake in your turn.
  • Lesser Masticore: No one wants to risk a discard for a 2/2 that persists. Complex. I'm not convinced it is, but it looks bad.
  • Ishkanah, Grafwidow: Golgari Grave-Troll is already a 5cc graveyard payoff in green. Bad outside of graveyard therefore narrow, and not an engine in the deck like Troll is. Also, complex.

WU Artifacts/Tokens (5-0)

The deck is a hybrid between artifacts (payoffs are Toolcraft Exemplar, Master of Etherium and Thopter Spy Network) and tokens (payoffs are Intangible Virtue and Glorious Anthem), but also has synergies of other decks, fliers, golems, and blink. It was pretty inconsistent in that in each game it did a completely different thing, but running lots and lots of pivot cards leads to this.

RG Sacrifice/Tokens (4-1)

Another hybrid deck, but tokens and sacrifice go really well together. This deck was successful more on the back of powerful cards like Imperious Perfect, Hornet Nest and Evolutionary Leap than the actual sacrifice synergies, even though it's brimming with them. Led me to cut Hornet Nest and Imperious Perfect.

Other decks drafted:

RG Midrange (2-2)

BG Dinosaurs 2-2)

UBw Control (1-4)

BR Blink (2-3)

WU Fliers (0-5)

Updates 4.7.12 - 4.7.13

In:

Out:

• Dwynen replaces Imperious Perfect, which turned out to be too powerful.
  • Migratory Route replaces Mirrorweave, which was always intriguing but no one dared including in the deck.
  • Lightning Skelemental replaces Rakdos, the Showstopper, which was super fun once but... deemed too risky to be worth a slot.
  • Dark Confidant replaces Ruin Raider. Greatness, at any cost.

Update 4.8

Shift UBG Graveyard into UBR Discard
Green did not work well as a graveyard color. It plays as a slow deck that does not do much, then does something broken. No one was comfortable drafting it, and many cards worked awkwardly with each other. In this update, I remove graveyard from green and add discard to red. Many blue cards were already geared towards discarding rather than milling and I reinforce that, making the deck more like a madness deck. Reanimator was an option and remains so.

In:

Out:

Remove the Wildfire from RG Enrage/Wildfire

In theory it's great, but in practice the deck gets confusing when you sometimes plan to blow your lands away and sometimes do not. No one risked drafting the Wildfires anyway. Some slots are used to reinforce RG Enrage.

In:

Out:

Throne of Eldraine

I didn't intend to add creatures with Adventures to avoid the complexity, but some of them fill some really important spots doubling as a creature and a spell, also being a mana sink, so I changed my decision and added a few.

In:

• Realm-Cloaked Giant: Control needs a buff, and running a single white wrath has felt too few.
  • True Love's Kiss: Forsake the Worldly is pretty boring. Hopefully the prospect of card advantage makes this worth including in control.
  • Giant Killer: I've always liked Reprisal, except for the part that it is a dead card against aggro. This is a more flexible version that goes well in WU Tappers.
  • Fae of Wishes: I like wishes and the extra sidequest it adds to drafting, but it was typically not worth running Cunning Wish and Burning Wish because the cards you want to fetch already went into your deck, and are not in your sideboard. I think a wider wish could mitigate these problems since it would be much easier to leave some situational cards out if they don't all have to be the same type.
  • Piper of the Swarm: I don't like snowbally cards, but this is so slow. Probably plays more like a token maker for BRG Sacrifice, or an infinite blocker maker. 1/3 body also fosters blocking.
  • Bake into a Pie: Great flavor (...) and a good piece of removal, especially for control, that is ideal in WB Lifegain. I need more removal.
  • Embereth Shieldbreaker: Artifact removal that does not feel so useless when the opponent has no artifacts is rare. It's also a human.
  • Keeper of Fables: Soft tribal payoff (except for humans, of course) that work well with any evasion creatures too. Despite that, I believe it may actually help blocking because getting one card behind is a much heftier cost than losing two life at the start of the game.
  • Fabled Passage: I opened one of these, and I like how Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse help with mana consistency and are included 100% of drafts.

Goblins

I'm content with some tribal archetypes, but others need more critical mass to be worth playing the lords. Goblins is probably the least worth worthwhile and I'm adding a payoff and two others for critical mass.

In:

Power level adjustments

These are cards that were felt unfair in previous drafts.

Out:

• Tetsuko Umezawa: Make blocking more common is an ongoing goal and this does not help. With all those 2/1s running around and the low tempo of the cube, this is actually GRBS.
  • Hornet Nest: Completely invalidating ground attackers should be worth way more than 3 mana. As much as RG Enrage likes this card, it is an auto-include in any green deck.
  • Once Upon a Time: I don't like too much consistency in cube. Games are meant to be varied. This is a strong offender, as well as being another auto-include.

Reinforce control

Control has been underperforming and aggro has been overperforming lately. These changes are meant to slow down the pace and reward decks for playing the long game.

In:

Reinforce existing archetypes

In:

• Graveshifter: Any tribal deck, but particularly zombies, could use changelings. I'm afraid this might not be good enough, but it was amazing in MH1 draft. Also filler for graveyard and blink payoff. Other random synergies might come up too, like Nightpack Ambusher or Piper of the Swarm.
  • Audacious Thief: I hope this works well enough, because it's a great card for tempo decks, and really causes blocking.
  • Bear Umbra: Flash enabler, and I want at least one Enchant creature in each color. Green did not have any.
  • Decimator of the Provinces: Helps sacrifice detach from tokens, but also works well in tokens. Decent creature for reanimator and a powerful ramp target.
  • Crested Herdcaller: Adds two dinosaurs to the deck, good blink target, makes juicy tokens.

Other

These changes are about filling spots that were left by cards that had to go or make space for the card that I wanted to add.

In:

Out:

Notes about some of these:
  • Bloodtracker: It goes in a lot of decks, but it's one of those cards that warps the game around it.
  • Hoarding Dragon: Not very good in red artifacts, since you only need one in the deck for this to be playable, and it doesn't make an artifact right away. Mostly a "good stuff" card without synergies, and pretty boring too.
  • Goblin Kaboomist: I read this wrong. I thought the coin flip was when the mine was activated.
  • Neheb, the Eternal: Sort of sad to remove this, but a 5-drop that ramps further is not so useful, it's a zombie in the wrong color, and it does not reward blocking that well either. Without Wildfire, the 4/6 body is less important. Pingers doesn't really want that as the payoff is so small.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That's a lot of cool posts :) Love how you did a 180 on Once Upon a Time turned, pretty much mirrors its life in Standard!

That's a lot of cool posts :) Love how you did a 180 on Once Upon a Time turned, pretty much mirrors its life in Standard!

Thanks!

I added it after the prerelease, but as I saw standard devolving into Elk and saw the role Once Upon a Time had, I foresaw it doing the same thing in my cube. I might test it again in the future, if green needs a straight buff.

How are you able to keep Splinter Twin combo on an appropriate power level here but Hornet Nest is too good? I'm not trying to sound like the Spanish Inquisition, but I am legitimately interested. What keeps the combo in check?

I just remember having to cut twin combo fairly early on since it basically always forced players to hold up removal against U/R decks even if the might not have the combo because if you didn't you'd just randomly lose sometimes. U/R Twin always had a high win rate and hated out a lot of synergy-based decks that wanted to be playing their spells instead of always holding something up. It eventually got to the point where twin decks would win game 1 with the combo and then win game 2 with a random fatty the opponent didn't remove because they were afraid of getting twinned. Some people would even play Pestermite or Deceiver Exarch just to bluff the combo. In the end, we just cut it and the cube started to play better because of it.

Twin was just super oppressive against the synergy-based decks and the continued presence of the combo warped the format.

Seriously, though, it's the combo's inconsistency. The game in which the combo just fires off turn 4 are pretty rare. There is no Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, and the two creatures that combo with Splinter Twin are Pestermite and Zealous Conscripts. If you draft all of them, you may have a legitimate Twin deck and figure out how to kill the blanks. Do you control the game and use the combo as a finisher? Do you rush to find the combo with card draw? Do you draft a fliers, blink, or sacrifice deck with two pieces out of the way?

Could I be wrong? Absolutely. In one draft, 3 copyable creature + 2 copiers + 1 tutor for Twin made this deck actually feel unfair and too consistent. I'm not sure I'm at the right spot of risk/reward, or if that spot exists at all.

Playing Pestermite to bluff the combo sounds fun, actually.

I think I like Twin because it allows an infinite combo, which is a part of MtG, to exist in cube in an interactive form. It's exciting to be able to draft the deck and kind of scary to play against. There is a tension of "do they have it?"

Now, about Hornet Nest: the issue is that it roadblocks some types of deck consistently. You don't need to put two cards together. It doesn't have the positive feeling of putting together a combo, the reaction is usually "oh well, I guess I can't attack anymore". It's cool to use Savage Stomp on it, but truly, you need zero synergy for it to be worth playing, and you incur very little risk in casting Hornet Nest.

Update 4.8.2

I tested some decks and the conclusion is that the cube is pending a bit too much towards aggro/creatures, and control/spells is pretty weak at the moment. These things are delicate to balance, so I'll make small changes to rebalance, starting with:

In:

Out:

This adds some oomph to counterspells (which were too weak a suite to deal with aggro).

Goblin Barrage is more aggro-leaning than Blaze, but Blaze was pretty bad vs aggro and midrange anyways, and unusable with Izzet Chemister.

BR Discard Aggro (7-0)

I drafted this monster, which is built around Living Death. The self-discard fuels the all-powerful sorcery, and Torrent of Souls. Lightning Skelemental was often the best thing to reanimate, and definitely the easiest thing to reanimate. I wish I had tested Glint-Horn Buccaneer, but somehow I never drew it.

A surprising amount of victories were on the back of Blood Artist. The card never ceases to surprise.
This deck makes me wonder if Living Death is too good. It was insane in this deck, but to be fair it's very tight around it - it even has 16 creatures - , and abuses it as much as possible in this cube.

UB Discard Wizards Zombies (3-1)

It's a lot of themes in the same deck! Synergies within each theme are minor, but lots of pivots mean that they are all supported. Stoneforge Masterwork is sweet in this deck, and again has spawned a hybrid tribal deck (last time it was Humans / Dinosaurs).

WR Tokens (3-3)

An explosive tokens deck that goes wide. Great Teacher's Decree, Intangible Virtue, Anger and Reckless fuel huge bursts of damage out of nowhere.

WG Tokens (2-3)

Another tokens deck in the same draft. This one got payoffs like Woodland Champion, Good-Fortune Unicorn, Growing Ranks, and Obelisk of Urd. The player did mention they missed cards that rewarded him for going wide, but so many decks were trying to do that, and the archetype got diluted.

W Humans Heroic (2-3)

A rare mono-colored deck, centered around humans and heroic. Some buffs are vertical, like Test of Faith (which seriously turns around some turns), and some are horizontal, like Meadowboon. There are tons of counters in this deck, too, and Karn's Bastion is just perfect here - it doesn't even hurt the mana base much.

UR Spells (2-3)

A spells deck that switched between aggro and control depending on the draw. Rise from the Tides was the finisher of choice, and remains the most solid spells payoff.

UR Artifacts (2-3)

This artifact deck only features 4 artifacts, though 2 more cards make artifact tokens. That is enough for payoffs like Thopter Spy Network and Quicksmith Rebel, but Master of Etherium and Thirst for Knowledge don't fare so well. Conjurer's Closet is a real win condition with Wing Splicer and Whirler Rogue.

WG Control (2-4)

WG is possibly the most uncommon color combination in control, and since I try to support all color combinations in both aggro and control, this deck makes me happy!

BG Midrange (0-3)

Many cards here were "out of their element", like Bloodthirsty Aerialist, Evolution Sage, and Braids, Cabal Minion. There are sacrifice enablers, but the tokens and recursive creatures to be sacrifice all got scooped by other decks.

FYI, I have kept up with the changes you've made to this cube, and I've been collecting the cards to build it. I've looked around for other cubes that share some of the same qualities you're striving for, but I haven't really found anything else like it.