General The Sets of 2023 and Beyond

Our first "Epilogue" set, interesting. I like the idea of a set taking place across multiple planes (March of the Machine), curious to see how they'll make that cohesive. The Origins/Urza's block approach wasn't terrible, but I think would be too limiting here.

Eldraine is pretty exciting, that set had an excellent aesthetic and I'd kill for more adventure cards. The promise of Ixalan was always much, much better than its execution, so maybe we can get more Mesoamericans, pirates, dinos, and conquistadors that redeem the original block much how like Theros: Beyond Death made the original (very boring) Theros feel like a plane worth returning to. Ixalan has some of the most wasted potential around, I hope they don't go too hard on the spelunking stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, all of these sets are returns correct? It feels like it's been a long time since we've had a purely return year.

If I'm not mistaken, all of these sets are returns correct? It feels like it's been a long time since we've had a purely return year.

Yes

Or kind of. We won’t exactly know what March of the Machine and Aftermath is although it is very likely return sets.

I just want the Phyrexians to win a couple of sets and really drive in the fact that they are threats. I think the last time I really thought of anything being a threat was back in Eldritch Moon and that was mostly to clean up the mess that was BFZ block. I also want to see some more planeswalkers get killed off to cull out that stupid huge cast.

I guess return sets have to become more common. With every new world we have another addition to the list of potential returns, seems unhealthy to force keeping the 50:50 relation.

landofMordor

Administrator
I just want the Phyrexians to win a couple of sets and really drive in the fact that they are threats. I think the last time I really thought of anything being a threat was back in Eldritch Moon and that was mostly to clean up the mess that was BFZ block. I also want to see some more planeswalkers get killed off to cull out that stupid huge cast.
Well, the Phyrexians just "won" DMU, insofar as the good guys didn't win. Ajani is compleated (RIP my homie); Jaya is dead; Sheoldred destroyed the Golgothian Sylex and abducted Karn, with the implication that he'll be forced to serve the Phyrexians' goals on New Phyrexia; much of Dominaria has been compleated, with sleeper agents in most major civilizations.

@shamizy
I completely agree. It is worth noting that Phyrexia won last time we saw them. Argentum -> Mirrodin -> New Phyrexia. Everyone on Mirrodin either died, became part of Phyrexia or escaped/planeswalked. The plane is completely lost from the perspective of the good guys. Game over.

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Huh I wonder if we're due for a compleated Koth at some point
I guess WotC doesn't really like mono red effects being tied to lands, which is kinda his deal?

Well, the Phyrexians just "won" DMU, insofar as the good guys didn't win. Ajani is compleated (RIP my homie); Jaya is dead; Sheoldred destroyed the Golgothian Sylex and abducted Karn, with the implication that he'll be forced to serve the Phyrexians' goals on New Phyrexia; much of Dominaria has been compleated, with sleeper agents in most major civilizations.

This all sounds good. As long as they don't pull some War of the Spark tier trash I might actually be interested in following the story again. They need to inject some stakes into the main storyline if they want people to follow it. Major plot points getting resolved within a set made everything just feel hollow the last two years worth of sets.

landofMordor

Administrator
*shrug* idk, after my first Mothership story article almost 10 years ago, i realized that there was no way i was getting anything resembling good literature from this franchise. fun popcorn reading for my lunch break, sure... but if i wanted plot that i cared about, i'd have better odds rolling up to a Blockbuster or library and picking at random. i'm in it for the beach reading, the pretty pictures, and to pine after the Jace & Vraska segments of XLN story.

This all sounds good. As long as they don't pull some War of the Spark tier trash I might actually be interested in following the story again. They need to inject some stakes into the main storyline if they want people to follow it. Major plot points getting resolved within a set made everything just feel hollow the last two years worth of sets.
I STRONGLY encourage you to take a look at this video:

The Youtuber is called The Magic Historian and has been doing content for years. He has three accounts on Youtube. One where he talks about Magic news (about 2 videos/week.), one where he talks about Magic lore (Very active when new sets are coming out, quiet between sets) and a third account for everything else. If you are, at all, interested in Magic lore I strongly encourage you to check out the video above. It. is. very. good.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't like that he was bashing the Magic Spellslingers game for no good reason. Game has been super enjoyable so far, despite the occasional game breaking bug. Imho soft launches are great when they are used to test the waters with a bigger audience without setting high expectations so you can iron out the kinks that are inevitably going to pop up with a larger player base.

He does do good story videos though!