The Smooth Twin Cube

https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/smooth

The Smooth Twin Cube is the second paper cube I’ve built. The Elegant Cube was assembled in 2010. Building a new paper cube is a big event in my hobby life.

It is a response to an even bigger event. My wife and I are expecting a baby (very very soon)! I anticipate having less free time and smaller chunks of it from now on, but I still want to play Magic. The Elegant Cube is designed to be played in larger groups, and drafts take at least 5 hours. I need a quicker format, a quicker cube.

Design Goals

The Smooth Twin Cube has the following goals:

• Be optimized for two players
  • Quickly get into a game
  • Plenty of agency in gameplay
  • Fast games - skew aggressive
  • Easy-to-jump-in format to teach brand new players with a deck that isn’t boring
  • Replayable even for advanced players, offering variety between decks
  • Budget so that it can replicated by other people as a board game-like experience
  • Stable so that players can apply lessons learned in previous drafts, and to keep replicas easy and cheap to maintain

Jump-started by Jumpstart

Jumpstart shows how important it is to be able to jump into a random game right away, and my first idea was to simply build a Jumpstart cube. Jumpstart packs are pre-assembled half decks. Shuffling two packs together results in something resembling a real deck with close to zero setup cost. I appreciate this quick setup more and more as my free time dwindles, and it is great to skip the drafting part altogether for beginners as well.

Jumpstart isn’t exciting to me, however, and there are two main reasons why:

Jumpstart feels like playing someone else’s deck

Jumpstart has “half decks” that are already built, and though that provides some variety of gameplay and a surprising amount of cross interactions, it bypasses an integral part of Magic: deckbuilding. Deckbuilding is the greatest appeal of the game for me, and the favorite of so many players too. Video games like Slay the Spire and board games like Thunderstone and Dominion capture the feeling well, and I would like this feeling to be part of the game, and not all left to the designer.

A core strength of Magic (and of card games in general) is modularity. The concept of building decks made of cards clearly delineates the design space where players can exercise creativity, mastery in tirelessly fine tuning lists, out-of-the box thinking in breaking a meta, and knowledge of cards, interactions, and evaluations. Cards composing decks are such an elegant and resonant concept, and Magic is an incredible implementation of it, in which tens of thousands of cards decades apart can be played together, and in different rulesets (booster draft, EDH, standard) and interactions work perfectly fine.

Of course, introducing the gameplay rules to new players is best done without asking them to go through deckbuilding - deckbuilding requires knowing the gameplay rules. Jumpstart is great for this, skipping the step completely! The Smooth Cube will take a page from Jumpstart and support a form of deck generation. However, that will be a secondary format; the primary format will include deckbuilding.

Jumpstart feels like playing someone else’s bad deck

Many Jumpstart games I played had low agency and I think that’s both a byproduct of card choice, and of many half-decks being built around micro-archetypes. Balancing micro-archetypes is already hard with a self-correcting drafting section, or a self-correcting constructed meta. Doing so just by changing the decklists is effectively impossible. Jumpstart has half-decks that combine better and worse with others, and that kind of high variance in power leads to more low-agency matchups.

The Smooth Cube will not be focused on micro-archetypes; it will have elements of synergy, but the archetypes are expected to be macro-archetypes, that is, classified by general gameplan - aggro, midrange, control, aggro-control.

The card choice should also tend to be higher agency, which will need to be weighed against word count. I rely on tempo/card advantage dynamics and a focus on creature combat to try to achieve this goal.

Jumpstart is basically Sealed (no, it isn’t)

But enough hating on Jumpstart, it’s fine, honestly. Just not exactly what I’m looking for. What I want is to design a cube with similar goals to Jumpstart, but with “parts” with smaller granularity than half-decks. Ideally, players can pick which “parts” to combine to make a deck (fine print: yes, they can in Jumpstart but there’s only 3 possible combinations and it’s not great).

“Parts” composed of 1 card would work perfectly well and not require any sort of marking to pull them apart. But that’s Sealed… and I don’t like Sealed. What was the problem with Sealed, again? Maybe I shouldn’t be drafting my cube and just playing sealed instead? Nah, it’s coming back to me.

1. The choices are overwhelming. Finding a 23-card deck in an 84-card sealed pool is looking at a universe of 84C23 = 2.5*10^20 possibilities. For comparison, drafting has fewer total possibilities, (15!)^3 = 1.3*10^12, and the decisions are broken down into steps in which you have much less information. Rares help a ton to narrow down the pool into a deck in either format, because a bomb rare will weigh the scales a lot in terms of color selection, though bombs reduce gameplay and deckbuilding agency. Tightening the power band (as most cubes do) results in even more difficult sealed pools to build than in retail sealed.

2. So much text. Reading through 84-90 cards is such a chore.

I barely have time to read through my pool in prereleases I go blind into, and have a much worse experience in these prereleases compared to when I have gone over the set spoiler before attending. In the average cube, there are few if any duplicates, the cards are on the wordy side, and the “bombs” don’t provide as much guidance, so it’s much, much worse.

3. Difficult to support synergy. For example, in the Elegant Cube, the archetypes don’t really work when a player only has access to ¼ the core pool. A 90 card sealed pool will have a few pieces of many decks.

4. Too random. Players are subjected to higher “variance” in the form of some very bad and some very good pools. Experienced players in particular dislike that.

Fixing sealed (I get the “Smooth” but why the “Twin”?)

In the Smooth Twin Cube, every card in your pool comes with a duplicate. In Riptidelab-speak, everything is squadroned.

This trick is inspired by dedicated deckbuilding games (Slay the Spire, Thunderstone, Dominion). In all of these games, adding a single card to the deck impacts the deck’s functioning much more than adding a card to a Magic deck does. Presenting fewer but more impactful decisions maintains a similar level of agency but has the advantage of decreasing cognitive load and smoothing the skill curve. Playing 20-card decks is an option, but a reshuffle rule might change the game too much, and I want to be playing something closer to other Magic formats.

In terms of logistics, the copies are kept in two separate identical piles, kept sorted by color. To set up the draft, only the first pile is randomized and drawn from. After decks are built, duplicates of the cards being run are searched in the second pile. After the draft/sealed is finished, cards are sorted back by color and into the two piles.

Coming back to the idea of “parts of decks being combined”, using each pair of copies of cards as a 2-card “part” has many benefits.

• Parts are easy to sort.
  • There is plenty of deck building modularity when the parts are this small.
  • The parts have internal synergy within themselves (like Jumpstart 20-card parts do), since cards that have any sort of gameplay synergy with other cards have deckbuilding synergy with themselves (at least at lower numbers, before saturation). For example, Reanimate and Animate Dead have gameplay synergy with discard outlets and large creatures. Because both synergize with the same type of cards, the deck tends to be better if you run them both (as opposed to only one of them) because that makes all the discard outlets and large creatures much better.

The structure of 2 copies of a card as a part also mitigates or solves the problems of Sealed mentioned above.

1. The choices are overwhelming.

We can break down the act of “recognizing the best build” into:
  1. Recognizing the colors to play
  2. Recognizing the exact card list to run

The choice #1, the choice of colors, can be simplified by, again, looking at Jumpstart. Randomly choose two of the five colors and give a pool with only those colors to the player. That gets rid of the first big chunk of the problem, reduces variance, and doesn’t change agency all that much - sealed pools with actual ambiguity about which colors to play are rare for players who know a format well.

To tackle choice #2, the choice of cards, the reduction in reading and removal of color choice saves time and energy, and using a curated, non-microarchetype oriented cube list allows the pool to be reduced (20 cards of each color is a bit less than you’d expect to see from your two largest colors in a pool of 90). The number of combinations of 12 pairs (24 nonlands) that can be chosen is 20C12 = 125,970 possible decks, a much smaller number of options, but a lot more distinct from each other than the possible decks in a sealed pool.

Smooth Twin Cube format: Two-Color Sealed

This format is targeted at beginner players who already know enough to perform some card selection. Each player gets:

• 9 pairs of nonland cards of a random color
  • 9 pairs of nonland cards of another random color
  • 2 pairs of artifacts
Total: 40 nonland cards per player

Pick 12 pairs (24 nonlands), add 16 lands and shuffle well.

If we’re careful to include in the cube only cards that are playable in any deck (not fully archetype dependent), we can even tighten the sealed pool to 12 cards (duplicated into 24), transforming Sealed into a random deck generator, a much finer grained Jumpstart.

Generated decks work well for beginners who don’t know enough to build a deck from even a small pool, and the next step is more natural - giving them more choices in a 20-pair sealed pool, or even more choices in a draft format.

Smooth Twin Cube format: Generated Deck

Targeted at first-time players, in this variation each player gets:

• 6 pairs of nonland cards of a random color
  • 5 pairs of nonland cards of another random color
  • 1 pair of artifact cards
Total: 24 nonland cards per player

Again, add 16 lands.

2. So much text.

A sealed pool of 20 pairs drastically reduces the amount of useless reading. A pool of 20 different cards cuts the reading by 78% compared to a 90-card pool.

A generated deck (12 pairs) doesn’t even need to be all read before playing.

During gameplay, fewer individual cards need to be read as duplicates show up.

3. Difficult to support synergy.

The Smooth Twin Cube won’t have a micro-archetype focus and will tend towards “aggressive good stuff”.

Beyond that, every card being a 2-of increases the density of any combinations that are picked. Picking one card A that synergizes with another card B means you have access to two copies of each in the deck, increasing the odds of the combination A+B being available in a certain draw. Assuming 40-card decks and half the deck is seen in a game, there is a 24.4% chance to draw A and B if they are 1-ofs, but 56.6% if the A and B are 2-ofs.

4. Too random.

Sources of variance between sealed pools include color distribution (sealed pools with more color imbalance are better) and a wide power band (individual card power levels).

Color distribution is not an issue with pre-chosen colors, although color balance becomes a larger one.

A wide power band can be tamed, and is unlikely to be as bad a problem without the intentional inclusion of bomb rares and limited unplayables as retail sets do.

Power variance will still exist between these small synergy packages, but because we’re combining 12 parts into a deck, they tend to regress towards the mean more strongly than the 2 parts that make Jumpstart decks.

Tangent: Why stop at twins? What’s wrong with triplets? Or quadruplets?

If we use “parts” made of 3 copies of a card, the copy density in a 40-card deck is equivalent to a 4.5-of inclusion in a 60-card deck. For many types of cards it is not desirable to run that much density (many cards aren’t run as 4-ofs in constructed). Adding the decision of how many copies to run would solve this, but detract from the simplicity of all formats.

Tangent: Parallels with constructed

Limiting the number of different cards in a deck to 12 retains most of the freedom to build different decks. Take Standard constructed, for reference. Standard deckbuilding is not far from picking ~12 nonland cards from the recent standard-legal sets. Yes, building a constructed deck does involve more steps - adjusting numbers, designing a manabase and a sideboard, but the essence of the deck are those ~12 cards.

Limited is deeper when more options are offered to players than in Sealed, making more cards available for deckbuilding. Draft formats allow cards to be picked from a larger pool of cards than Sealed. That widens the realm of possible decks in theory, though it may actually decrease the diversity of viable decks if these choices aren’t limited somehow. Not limiting the choices is effectively constructed, and the reason why constructed metas present a smaller variety of optimal decks than limited.

It is physically impossible not to draft a cube

By introducing constraints instead of simply letting players pick the same cards like constructed does, limited formats are able to increase deck diversity. Designing and tweaking a drafting mechanism allows us to influence certain variables:
  1. Focus: How focused decks can be, i.e. how different their game plans are from each other.
  2. Card variety: How evenly distributed play time is between cards.
  3. Decisions:
    1. How many decisions players need to make.
    2. How overwhelming the decisions are.
    3. How much impact the decisions have.

Rotisserie draft, for example, allows players to use any card that hasn’t been picked yet. This results in:

1. Focus: High, decks resemble constructed.
  2. Card variety: Low variety, a good slice of the weaker cards are no-plays, while the best are must-plays. Still higher than constructed, since picked cards won’t be available to other players.
  3. Decisions: The decisions are many and pretty overwhelming (it’s like drafting from an extremely large booster), and they are very meaningful at first but their impact decreases over time as players just go through the motions filling up the rest of their deck and building mana bases.

Let’s look at Sealed:

1. Focus: Low, decks are almost always good-stuff. Players only have access to a fraction of the complete card pool.
  2. Card variety: High, below-average cards get played, assuming a pool that’s not much larger than the deck size.
  3. Decisions: The decision of what to play is only one, pretty large, impactful decision.

Booster draft is a format I like a lot.

1. Focus: Medium, decks can be pretty focused, since a large part of the cube is seen, but archetypes must be well-crafted to make synergistic strategies viable.
  2. Card variety: Medium, at usual pack counts, it requires plenty of the card pool to be played such that there is room for being scrappy and for using creativity to make the worst cards work. In fact, the format rewards finding “secret decks” with cards no one else wants.
  3. Decisions: The decisions are many, but they are given with partial information, and as such there is plenty of room for risk/reward dynamics, usage of heuristics, or just slamming the best card, so players effectively can choose how much energy to spend reasoning about the choice. The first decisions are very meaningful, and late in packs some decisions are not, however at that point they take only seconds.

My ideal playing format for a twin cube when players are skillful enough to deckbuild is something akin to a booster draft in terms of focus, card variety and decisions, but for two players and resulting in a smaller pool (20 pairs).

Starting with the Decisions variable, I want this format to offer a choice between only a few directions at the beginning of the draft, and starting with very small packs is a way to implement this. I am adapting the Pyramid Draft I described in my blog, with the same rationale of keeping the decision tree at a constant width during the draft.

Primary format for the Smooth Twin Cube: Pyramid Draft with open boosters like Rochester; all cards of a booster are laid out on the table, then players alternate making a certain number of picks before discarding the rest of the pack.

# Packs# Cards / PackPicksTrash
4 packs3 cards per packEach player picks 1 cardTrash last 1 card
5 packs6 cards per packEach player picks 1 cardTrash last 4 cards
4 packs9 cards per packEach player picks 2 cardsTrash last 5 cards

The goals of this draft structure is to provide variety for replayability in the three criteria we’ve been talking about:
  1. Focus: 78 pairs of cards are seen, which combined with the internal synergy of 2-card parts should allow for a reasonable amount of focus - less than 8-person booster draft, but enough to set decks apart. The 9-card packs allow going deeper into a strategy that was formed in the early picks.
  2. Card variety: The Twin structure helps synergy shift card evaluations quickly. The early picks from the 3-card and 5-card packs make it difficult to be too picky about card quality as 12 out of 17 pairs picked get played, and the later packs aren’t large and don’t offer all that many on-color options.
  3. Decisions: The first 4 packs offer only 3 card options and these choices set a direction. When we get to the 6-card packs, players will either stick to the “plan” and pick accordingly, narrow down the plan if the first picks left an open pool, or pivot away if things aren’t going well - and they have only a tight 13 picks to do so. The decisions are more impactful than usual, as one pick has double the impact on the deck, however they are rarely between too many options.

Open Drafting and 1 vs 1​

Being a 1 vs 1 format with all cards open on the table and public picks intensifies two dynamics that are rare in 8-seat booster drafts: Hate drafting (picking cards so that the opponent can’t play them) and Meta drafting (picking cards that work well against the cards the opponent has picked).

Hate drafting is somewhat curbed by the small pool, as there isn’t much room to pick unplayables. Meta drafting is a supported dynamic, and situational cards should be limited in power - I won’t include Engineered Plague or Hurricane, for example.

Other dynamics that will appeal to many players are:
  • Being able to talk about picks makes the drafting more social and better for discussing, teaching and learning.
  • Players can avoid drafting similar decks if they collaborate. You can finally play a fun version of the Prisoner’s Dilemma.

This game you two are playing looks cool, can more people join in?​

The Smooth Twin Cube is, first and foremost, a two-player cube. But supporting more players is easy.

For 3 players, stick to Pyramid Draft, and adjust the packs slightly:

# Packs# Cards / PackPicksTrash
4 packs4 cards per packEach player picks 1 cardTrash last 1 card
5 packs7 cards per packEach player picks 1 cardTrash last 4 cards
4 packs11 cards per packEach player picks 2 cardsTrash last 5 cards

For 4 or more players, Pyramid Draft with open boosters (Rochester-style) will get slow and it’s best to shift to regular booster draft, drafting secret packs in parallel.

Tertiary format for the Smooth Twin Cube: Booster Draft

# PlayersPacksFinal poolOpenedSeen / player
4 players3x 7-card packs21 pairs84 pairs66 pairs
5 players2x 11-card packs22 pairs110 pairs90 pairs
6 players2x 11-card packs22 pairs132 pairs102 pairs
7 players2x 11-card packs22 pairs154 pairs112 pairs
8 players2x 11-card packs22 pairs176 pairs120 pairs

Booster draft is basically an afterthought, but it might even be the best way to play the cube. There’s nothing like players making picks to divide up a cube into decks.

Mana bases​

In a cube aimed at two-players, a lot of dual lands would be left unused, so we simply use perfect rainbow lands, created by defacing Rupture Spire / Transguild Promenade / Gateway Plaza / Archway Commons with a sharpie.

In booster drafts, manabases are weaved into the draft experience, which poses an interesting question: how highly to pick nonbasics? Well, the question is “interesting” in an academic sense. Whether it’s correct to pick a nonbasic versus a spell is sensitive to many variables: land density, nonbasic choices, gold card density, draft pool size, power level discrepancy, format speed. This makes the decision more of a test of knowledge about a specific cube environment, and not a particularly transferable skill to other formats. In the spirit of streamlining decisions that are less impactful, 4 rainbow lands will be given to each player.

These 4 rainbow lands, added to 6 of each basic land (6/6 split), make a 16-land manabase with 10 sources of each color (10/10). For drafts, some players may choose to splash a color or play three colors. A splash can be done with a 6/5/1 split, yielding 10/9/5 sources, and a 3-color deck can run a shaky 4/4/4 split, yielding 8/8/8 sources.

Gold cards​

We don’t really need gold cards, and they add some complexity to be usable for Sealed. A gold section can be an interesting “expansion” for draft, but I won’t include gold cards in the Smooth Twin Cube, at least in the first iterations.

Artifacts​

We don’t really need artifacts either, but they are pretty good color glue and I like equipment a lot as a high-agency, combat focused, resonant and elegant mechanic. Therefore, I will run some artifacts in the Smooth Twin Cube.

Contents of the box​

For two players, Pyramid Draft uses 78 pairs of cards, Pre-Built Sealed uses 24 pairs of cards, Sealed uses 40 pairs of cards. This cube can be as small as 78 pairs = 156 cards, but for replayability this number can be significantly higher, and because of the twin structure, synergies are more resilient against dilution than usual.

I will aim to build the Smooth Twin cube with 180 pairs, which gives plenty of variety and totals a nice round, classic 360. This is also enough to play two pyramid drafts without reshuffling.

In addition, 4 perfect lands need to be available for each player, which is another 8 cards for 2 players, or 32 for 8 players.

The contents of the box are:
  • 180 nonland cards
  • 180 identical twin nonland cards
  • 32 perfect lands
  • 150 basic lands (30 of each color)
  • 10 cards to randomize colors for sealed

Total: 552 cards

A version for only 2-players can be smaller to fit in a wine box (single sleeved (you aren’t going to double-sleeve 10-cent cards, right? :)):

• 180 nonland cards
  • 180 identical twin nonland cards
  • 8 perfect lands
  • 60 basic lands (12 of each color)
  • 10 cards to randomize colors for sealed

Total: 438 cards

Card List​

The Smooth Twin Cube card list will be generally:
  • Relatively aggressive and creature-combat oriented
    • Games shouldn’t take long and should be about trading blows continuously, while gaining tactical advantages in each combat.
    • Building around combat makes it easier to get a good Pre-Built Sealed experience, so the play patterns are consistent.
    • Card advantage will be incremental rather than explosive.
  • Favor small to medium creatures
    • The most common outcome of blocking should be a trade. For that to work, we favor higher power than toughness, building the format around 2/1s, 2/2s, and 3/2s (which all trade with each other), and make creatures with 4 toughness or higher more expensive and less plentiful.
  • Budget
    • No rarity restriction, but the vast majority of cards will be non-rares, and the rares will be cheap. My aim is to stay under 100 USD (as per CubeCobra prices) for the 360 cards (which appears like 50 USD in CubeCobra, but we need two copies of each card). Current price displayed is 39 USD.
    • Version 0.0.0 in reality cost me 95 CAD (74 USD), plus taxes and shipping, for the 360 nonland cards and the 32 sharpied lands.
    • Market fluctuations may make some cards expensive in the future, but the low rarity (103 commons, 73 commons, 4 rares as of v0.0.0) makes this less likely. The less synergistic structure also makes it easy to replace more expensive cards.
  • Reasonably elegant, few wordy cards
    • Relatively to the average cube this will be a less wordy cube, especially since it is almost a Peasant cube.
    • Compared to beginner cubes, the Smooth Twin Cube will be more wordy, as it won’t focus on vanilla or french vanilla creatures, or on running the simplest version of effects.
    • Complexity is already reduced by having fewer different cards to read, and by the list being stable.
  • Use few types of tokens
    • Finding tokens takes some time, and it’s not a smooth experience when playing on paper. Some cards may be worth including tokens for, and we may simplify some tokens, especially by caring only about some specific creature types.
  • Minor synergy themes
    • Party
    • Heroic
    • Runes
    • ETB
    • Tribal (Warriors, Wizards, Rogues, Clerics)

And finally, here’s the list I’m tinkering with:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/smooth

So, is it twins?​

No no no, just one.

Although the ultrasound technician was like:
  • “And here you can see the first…”
  • !?!
  • “aaaand…….. that’s it.”
  • '¬_¬

Last edited:
congratulations on your baby!

a 2-player cube was the only way i was able to play any magic whatsoever for several years, and yours sounds like a very fun format.

hope all goes well with the little one and with the cube!

landofMordor

Administrator
Sick format, friend. Your write-up actually helps resolve several issues I've been having with my own cube experiments. Compelling 2-player formats are hard to come by!
Playing 20-card decks is an option, but a reshuffle rule might change the game too much, and I want to be playing something closer to other Magic formats.
For this to matter, the game would need to last roughly 13 turns. That seems fairly unlikely to me, unless you're planning on each player using 6 cantrips per game or something. Especially considering how aggressive/combat-oriented/trading-centric your list looks.

Prior to reading this post, the closest I've found to an ideal 2-player format for me involved 15-card decks. I planned to include a safety valve against stalemates by including mana sinks and Elixir effects, and doing away with the loss-by-mill rule. So, I think you could decide to go lower minimum deck size without introducing a custom shuffle rule. Just a thought, because I think a relatively big logistical hurdle of this design is sorting through a big pile of 180 cards to find 24 individual cards, and then replacing them afterwards. Sounds tedious, like having to find exactly Human Warrior tokens for Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis, but 24 times in a row.

Starting with the Decisions variable, I want this format to offer a choice between only a few directions at the beginning of the draft, and starting with very small packs is a way to implement this. I am adapting the Pyramid Draft I described in my blog, with the same rationale of keeping the decision tree at a constant width during the draft.
This partially resolves a large design obstacle I'd had in another nascent cube design of mine, one that @LadyMapi inspired by mentioning Constructed Yu-Gi-Oh months ago in the Discord: How do we introduce to Cube that juicy Spire-style emergent engine-building? I agree that this is a good approach, especially paired with the "twingleton" nature of the list (horrible, I know, but I couldn't resist this neologism). You're essentially constraining your drafters with a low-agency initial 8 cards, and then easing up on that constraint as the constraint of "i need 24 spells" becomes more salient. So decision-making is relatively less intimidating compared to Rochester, Grid, or Rotisserie, and in fact might inspire even greater Johnny/Jenny-style creativity in the drafter.

Have you ever drafted 7 Wonders: Duel? They take the "pyramid" idea even more seriously there, with cards arranged in partly-overlapping rows of (6-?)5-4-3-2 cards (2 is placed last as the top of the pyramid). You can only pick cards if they're uncovered, meaning that Player 1 can only choose between 2 cards, but as they make a choice, they're exposing card(s) from the row beneath for their opponent. To prevent getting hosed by RNG, a player can Trash a card instead of picking it in exchange for another resource (gold), and the fact that Magic has a high rate of unplayables due to the 5 colors of mana means that this might be a flaw in repurposing this draft method for Cube... but maybe not (see below!).

In the spirit of streamlining decisions that are less impactful, 4 rainbow lands will be given to each player.
Speaking of StS, one formative choice that creates synergy in that game is giving the player multiple "Companions," aka Relics: outside-the-game resources with enough reliability so as to deckbuild around them. Your 4 rainbow lands to this to some extent, alleviating one's concerns of mana screw. But you could perhaps push further in this direction if there's not enough synergistic decisionmaking happening -- for example, players could trade an undesirable draft pick for a face-up card outside the draft pool, much like 7WD allows trading draft picks for Gold.

(I know I'm rambling a bit, but I'm unlocking some design puzzles of mine in real time, thanks to this post of yours!)
The most common outcome of blocking should be a trade.
This will reduce "game size" (in the Sam Black sense) which will 1) increase the likelihood that an unanswered bomb will win the game, and 2) decrease the raw cards available to synergize with each other. In a format at this power level, Flying is probably the closest thing to a bomb, haha, although I guess the 7/5 statline of Sea Gate Colossus might qualify too. But I do wonder if the trading-down-cards-in-combat will make synergies (Party, especially) tougher to pull together.

Thanks for the interesting read, and congrats on the impending baby!

Congrats on the tiny human!

I will say... when I first read the post, I missed the fact that each card is paired with another copy of the same card, so I didn't see how this actually simplified anything. :p

As a really general note, the reason why your card choices in games like StS feel more impactful than they do in Magic is because Magic is actually really stingy when it comes to card draw. A fight in StS can see you drawing through your entire deck multiple times (sometimes in the same turn!), which means that you're going to see your singletons multiple times. Meanwhile, you generally only see a third to a half of your deck in a game of Magic.

congratulations on your baby!

a 2-player cube was the only way i was able to play any magic whatsoever for several years, and yours sounds like a very fun format.

hope all goes well with the little one and with the cube!

Thanks!

That's what I've been thinking, small windows to play maybe for one hour, without thinking too hard.

Sick format, friend. Your write-up actually helps resolve several issues I've been having with my own cube experiments. Compelling 2-player formats are hard to come by!

Happy it helped you with some inspiration! Yeah, it was always a challenge to play in two people a cube designed for more, and I figured it was way easier to build a cube from scratch, with this goal.

For this to matter, the game would need to last roughly 13 turns. That seems fairly unlikely to me, unless you're planning on each player using 6 cantrips per game or something. Especially considering how aggressive/combat-oriented/trading-centric your list looks. Prior to reading this post, the closest I've found to an ideal 2-player format for me involved 15-card decks. I planned to include a safety valve against stalemates by including mana sinks and Elixir effects, and doing away with the loss-by-mill rule. So, I think you could decide to go lower minimum deck size without introducing a custom shuffle rule.

Well, there is more variance in draws with a 40 card deck with all cards being 2-ofs than a 20 card deck with all cards being 1-ofs. Especially towards the end, you're incentivized quite to bit to try to remember what you had in the deck... which can be frustrating without the untapped.gg overlay IRL.

I will give it a try to feel what it is like, though keeping the cube a "normal limited Magic game" is something I value quite a bit.

Just a thought, because I think a relatively big logistical hurdle of this design is sorting through a big pile of 180 cards to find 24 individual cards, and then replacing them afterwards. Sounds tedious, like having to find exactly Human Warrior tokens for Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis, but 24 times in a row.
It's not too bad, we've done this a few times and when the pile to search is sorted by color, it's not as hard as finding tokens. Definitely a hurdle I would rather not have, but hasn't bothered me much so far.

I agree that this is a good approach, especially paired with the "twingleton" nature of the list (horrible, I know, but I couldn't resist this neologism).

/report

I will say... when I first read the post, I missed the fact that each card is paired with another copy of the same card, so I didn't see how this actually simplified anything. :p

Yeah, I'd say the twinned nature of the decks is what solves a lot of problems at once and I sort of failed to convey this more clearly - it's in the middle of the text but it is the most important "rule" of the cube.

You're essentially constraining your drafters with a low-agency initial 8 cards, and then easing up on that constraint as the constraint of "i need 24 spells" becomes more salient. So decision-making is relatively less intimidating compared to Rochester, Grid, or Rotisserie, and in fact might inspire even greater Johnny/Jenny-style creativity in the drafter.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it is like having an initial StS deck with some random cards and then trying to make it into a decent deck.

Have you ever drafted 7 Wonders: Duel? They take the "pyramid" idea even more seriously there, with cards arranged in partly-overlapping rows of (6-?)5-4-3-2 cards (2 is placed last as the top of the pyramid). You can only pick cards if they're uncovered, meaning that Player 1 can only choose between 2 cards, but as they make a choice, they're exposing card(s) from the row beneath for their opponent. To prevent getting hosed by RNG, a player can Trash a card instead of picking it in exchange for another resource (gold), and the fact that Magic has a high rate of unplayables due to the 5 colors of mana means that this might be a flaw in repurposing this draft method for Cube... but maybe not (see below!).

No, I've played 7 Wonders OG but not the 2-player version. Probably could work ok if we didn't have colors. But just trading picks wouldn't solve the problem since the "pyramid" would still have the same cards you don't want on the next round. Maybe we can modify my format by limit the shake-ups a bit drafting a booster as long as both players are happy doing so, instead of having a set number of picks per player. Say, after the first two picks from a pack, a player either a card from the pack or scraps it and opens the next. That's probably not very balanced, but something along those lines.

I think there's a lot of room to add more mechanics here and make a deeper format, but simplicity is an important goal for this particular cube, and I'll try the simple pyramid draft for a while until trying to add something. Your format sounds like it could leverage these mechanics, though.

Speaking of StS, one formative choice that creates synergy in that game is giving the player multiple "Companions," aka Relics: outside-the-game resources with enough reliability so as to deckbuild around them.

I did actually consider that, either in the form of always active enchantments/artifacts/effects or cards you could cast from the command zone. But again, keeping the Magic vanilla is an important part of this cube, since for teaching and honing skills, you don't want the game to be too different.

It is powerful to play the same game as other people do. Consider how different it is to invite someone to play chess, or chess except you can draft custom pieces before the game, and pieces evolve after they gain experience (that actually sounds cool, but I don't think it would fly for most people).

When players have the rules changed from what they are familiar with, there is a huge cognitive bias for them to process how to modify all they know according to those changes.

In this cube, especially, I'd rather have comfort and be able to play while sleep-deprived with my lizard brain.

Again, I think your design goals are significantly different so this may be a very good idea for your cube. I would just keep the "relic" effects not too numerous and avoid triggers to tame complexity - how often in Slay the Spire do you forget to consider a relic will trigger? For me it's a huge amount of the time.

Your 4 rainbow lands to this to some extent, alleviating one's concerns of mana screw. But you could perhaps push further in this direction if there's not enough synergistic decisionmaking happening -- for example, players could trade an undesirable draft pick for a face-up card outside the draft pool, much like 7WD allows trading draft picks for Gold.

This opens up the decision tree so much, though. The idea in this case is to lead them to pick a splash when there isn't a pick in their colors.

(I know I'm rambling a bit, but I'm unlocking some design puzzles of mine in real time, thanks to this post of yours!)

I'm glad you posted this thoughtful reply! I'm sorry I'm not taking any of your suggestions for now, but I do want to test the simplest version first and then add what's necessary instead of starting with something complex and cutting them.

This will reduce "game size" (in the Sam Black sense)

I've always preferred small games, and the less time I have, the more I do. That's probably why I'm such a sucker for aggro formats like Ixalan.

Absolutely, "small games" are the goal for this cube.

which will 1) increase the likelihood that an unanswered bomb will win the game, and 2) decrease the raw cards available to synergize with each other. In a format at this power level, Flying is probably the closest thing to a bomb, haha, although I guess the 7/5 statline of Sea Gate Colossus might qualify too. But I do wonder if the trading-down-cards-in-combat will make synergies (Party, especially) tougher to pull together.
I'm going for maybe a 3/10 in synergy, so it's fine that it's hard to make it work. Party is probably the highest ceiling synergy to pull here, so I don't think it'll end up being bad.

Flying might be the strongest thing to do at the moment, yes. I thought in an aggro environment, evasion wouldn't be that great because you're usually racing, and paying extra for your creature to have evasion means your opponent can usually beat you down faster and more efficiently. I'll keep an eye on flying.

Sea Gate Colossus is probably not that great, since it dies to any double block, deathtouch, some removal, most combat tricks, gets chumped, etc.

Thanks for the interesting read, and congrats on the impending baby!
Thank you!

Congrats on the tiny human!

Thanks, though my wife disagrees with the "tiny" part :)

As a really general note, the reason why your card choices in games like StS feel more impactful than they do in Magic is because Magic is actually really stingy when it comes to card draw. A fight in StS can see you drawing through your entire deck multiple times (sometimes in the same turn!), which means that you're going to see your singletons multiple times. Meanwhile, you generally only see a third to a half of your deck in a game of Magic.
True, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like to leverage this "feature" of Magic and really lean on it as the variance between how a deck will play out in one game versus another game. That variance in how the deck works and how it interacts with the opponent's deck differently from game to game really appeals to me.

Of course, synergy is harder to support with this variance, and while the twin structure reduces this variance, it is not as much as going down to a simple 20-card deck would, and probably not as much as Standard decks reduce the variance either, so it's still in the realm of "very normal Magic" to me.

The thought of a format drawing two cards a turn has crossed my mind many times, and I think Magic could even be a better game this way. The card balance is significantly altered towards "trading CA for tempo is good" - the famous first pick Unsummon format. The fact that it drifts away from the normal game and it might be hard to find people to play under those rules has stopped me from trying to build a cube around it. But someone should.

Clarification--do you have to play cards in doubles? Or do you just get two copies of each card and then get to choose? Apologies if I am reading this wrong, I am both sleep-deprived and jetlagged.

I'm still figuring out if I want to have a rule. So far we've always played them in doubles. Sucked to have 2 Black Dragons, but the real problem was to have a 7-drop in a 16-land deck so I cut the dragons.

I'm excited for you and your wife - best luck with the baby!

What are your thoughts on the problem of five colors for only two players in the draft?

I'm excited for you and your wife - best luck with the baby!

Thanks, we're excited too! And scared! And excited!

What are your thoughts on the problem of five colors for only two players in the draft?

I imagine in most drafts players will take two colors each and the last color will be totally ignored. A good deal of the cards get trashed, so having some dead cards should not be a concern. In the early rounds, 1/3 cards get trashed, then 2/3, then 5/9. I don't imagine splashing will be too common, but can see it being worth it some more synergistic archetypes.

True, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like to leverage this "feature" of Magic and really lean on it as the variance between how a deck will play out in one game versus another game. That variance in how the deck works and how it interacts with the opponent's deck differently from game to game really appeals to me.

Of course, synergy is harder to support with this variance, and while the twin structure reduces this variance, it is not as much as going down to a simple 20-card deck would, and probably not as much as Standard decks reduce the variance either, so it's still in the realm of "very normal Magic" to me.

The thought of a format drawing two cards a turn has crossed my mind many times, and I think Magic could even be a better game this way. The card balance is significantly altered towards "trading CA for tempo is good" - the famous first pick Unsummon format. The fact that it drifts away from the normal game and it might be hard to find people to play under those rules has stopped me from trying to build a cube around it. But someone should.
It's arguably one of the features that makes Magic, well, Magic.

Also, as someone who only builds gimmick cubes... make the dang cube. After the fourth trimester, that is.

Ok, just played my 5th and 6th 2-player drafts with the Smooth Twin Cube.

Things I am happy with:
- The draft format is fast to play, fun and great to talk with the opponent during the draft, and capable of making both scrappy and tight decks. 10/10 will definitely be using this for more 2 player cubes in the future.

- The duplicate system works great for cohesive decks and for speeding up the process and requiring less reading. Sorting is very fast, and so is finding duplicates because you keep the duplicates sorted by color. The only awkward part: if two copies of a card ever end up in the duplicate pile you may never notice it. 9/10 easier to manage than I thought, though no failsafes if someone makes a mistake while sorting

- The manabase with 4 perfect rainbow lands + basics is basically perfect mana on 2 colors, good mana but Slightly inconsistent access to a 3rd color splash, and a bit shaky but workable at 3 colors. And it is SO easy to manage. I love it. The change I have made is to add Cycling {2} to all lands because floods have been a problem, and after this change it's an aspect I'm 10/10 happy with! It cost me $1.20 too to get the whole mana base...

Things I'm not 100% happy with:
- The gameplay is a little bland, as I'm so often just attacking with a bunch of 2/2s into some 3/2s. I believe I need to increase the complexity a bit, maybe the power level, because it feels like a "Commons" cube, and not "uncommons". No it doesn't feel like pauper. I have had a lot of decisions to make, though, so it's not low agency over your win/loss, it just feels like nothing incredible ever happens. 5/10 for gameplay

- Games have tended to be about card advantage, which might be a function of the tastes of my friend in deck building, but I might need to push it further towards aggro. 6/10 need more data but I have some swaps to make.

But speaking of more important things, my baby girl was born super healthy and we've now kept her alive for 6 weeks! Woo! We have been in better shape before, and I'm dreading returning to work in 2 weeks, but things get a little bit less difficult each week, and being able to play Magic has kept me optimistic!

Despite all the difficulty, it's really really good to spend time with her too! I've definitely been both much happier and more miserable somehow! It's crazy how it works, there's a whole new person you love and even though your life is terrible, it's also great because they are there with you!

Last edited:
that’s a wonderful description of parenthood and i’m gonna share it with my wife.

some ideas for addressing your pain points in the cube:
-add some bombs. stuff you know is a little OP but is fun. some of my past “peasant bomb” favorites from when i arena cubed include: Imperial Oath, Striped Riverwinder, Morbid Opportunist, DRC, Trumpeting Herd, Saheeli Sublime Artificer

-add some pain into the manabase somehow. this helps any deck become more aggressive simply by reducing life totals to where attacking becomes more appealing faster. maybe make the rainbow lands into shocks?

enjoy the baby days!

Update 0.4

Got in another 4 (!) drafts since last the post. Not much new to add, they just reinforced what I wrote above; the Twin structure is working really really well, but bashing 2/2s into 2/2s gets boring. Time to make a bunch of swaps! 36 out of 180 pairs (20%) are being changed, which is quite the overhaul!

Many of the removed cards are simply because they are bland or just bad. I am increasing the average power level a bit with this update. I'm replacing bland cards that don't have much depth to gameplay, like cantripping creatures and vanilla creatures.

Notably I'm removing some power level outliers (on the high end): Mentor of the Meek, ssunhome Stalwart and Wizard's Lightning. Mentor dominates a lot of games with 5+ CA, Stalwart's first strike in this environment makes it a removal check, and Wizard's Lightning is too much of a blowout at 1 mana, and it's too easy to have one wizard.

Tons of additions are from DMU, I think a lot of the commons and uncommons of the sets are great designs and the off-color kickers should work well with the 4 perfect land manabase.

I also added a "bomb rare" 6-drop to each colors. They aren't that bomby, but hopefully strong enough to be worth paying 6 mana for. I've found the environment isn't that fast, so getting to 6 mana happens almost every game; though often there's quite a bit of tension and pressure at that point already.

Many combat tricks, especially at 1 mana, are being swapped in to make them more appealing. Even in a combat cube, it was hard to justify running more than 2 2-mana tricks when they were usually just saving a 2-drop for a tempo-neutral play with setup cost. Hopefully 1-mana tricks's tempo-positive nature will make them worth playing more densely. The printing of Micromancer has something to do with that too.

I'm reinforcing the tribal payoffs (clerics, rogues and wizards) since warriors have been very fun to draft, but there aren't enough payoffs for the other three tribes.

Lastly, I realized blue was weirdly lacking instants and sorceries, so I'm increasing density and playability of the existing ones.

{W} White

In:

Out:

{U} Blue

In:

Out:

{B}Black

In:

Out:

{R}Red

In:

Out:

{G} Green

In:

Out:

{c} Artifacts

In:

Out:

2.5 months update

Baby has been smiling and really chatty with anything that has spots. She's just adorable. She's starting to be able to nap on the bassinet and not just in our arms which has been really helpful to get some time to do house chores and have a snack together for 15 minutes!

Going back to work has been difficult, though. I'm working from home half the days, and it's hard to focus when there's so much to do and help with at home. I feel guilty being in my office working. The sleep deprivation doesn't help either, and I started having anxiety spike when trying to sleep. Sigh.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/smooth

The Smooth Twin Cube is the second paper cube I’ve built. The Elegant Cube was assembled in 2010. Building a new paper cube is a big event in my hobby life.

It is a response to an even bigger event. My wife and I are expecting a baby (very very soon)! I anticipate having less free time and smaller chunks of it from now on, but I still want to play Magic. The Elegant Cube is designed to be played in larger groups, and drafts take at least 5 hours. I need a quicker format, a quicker cube.
I don't have any specific comments on the Cube at this time (I don't understand a couple of the card choices, but I'm guessing they would make sense if I ever had the chance to play this), but I really just wanted to say congratulations on the baby! I'm sure you'll be a fantastic dad!

I don't have any specific comments on the Cube at this time (I don't understand a couple of the card choices, but I'm guessing they would make sense if I ever had the chance to play this)
I know, strange card and was the only Old-Bordered card in the whole cube! Now Nefashu is keeping it company, and is even weirder.

The idea is that I wanted a Clerics payoff that's playable by itself. Also, bonus for being a payoff that's not simply a +1/+1 lord. In this environment the 4th point of toughness is very powerful, and so is vigilance with the constant attacking and blocking, so I expect this card's power level to be at least decent.

Happy to chat about other card choices!

I'm sure you'll be a fantastic dad!
I'm trying XD

You have excellent taste

The only awkward part: if two copies of a card ever end up in the duplicate pile you may never notice it. 9/10 easier to manage than I thought, though no failsafes if someone makes a mistake while sorting

Have you considered sleeving the pairs together during storage/drafts? You can fit two double sleeved magic cards (KMC inner, Dragonshield outer) inside a 7-Wonders card sleeve (Mayday Magnum 65*100s are the most available around me but I think FFG makes more durable sleeves in the same size too), and you can get like 300 of those for ~$12. Plus then you get to join the very exclusive club of triple-sleevers, who occupy a place on the hierarchy behind only those who play with heavy duty toploaders or grading cases :p

I hadn't considered that, interesting idea! However I think it'll take more time to remove from and put back the cards into the larger sleeve than to search them in the small piles and put them back there. Plus, shuffling 360 is significantly harder than shuffling 180 cards.

Bold of you to assume I double sleeve my bulk commons! I would have put them in penny sleeves, but I wanted to share the basic lands with the Elegant Cubes so I put them in KMCs.

i got two different kinds of black sleeves from the same supplier. i think maybe one is matte, one is glossy? my original intention was to put Ravnic's Occasionals and the Utility Land Draft in one kind of black sleeve, and main cube in the other. Which, can leak a *bit* of info, but there'd be enough of both cards that it wouldn't be a hugehuge deal. Half the basic lands would be in each kind of sleeve.

Seems even safer with a twinned cube though! literally half the cards would have one back, and half the cards have the other.

I attempted to read the pyramid drafting rules, but my eyes fell off during this part
After the first part, build packs for the second part in the following way, and swap these new packs so each player can pick the cards the other player didn’t: [e] 1 pack of 8 cards, built from merging 4x 2-card remains of [a]
Do you have some kinda similar draft shape that's simple enough to be run on one of those online drafting sites?

i got two different kinds of black sleeves from the same supplier. i think maybe one is matte, one is glossy? my original intention was to put Ravnic's Occasionals and the Utility Land Draft in one kind of black sleeve, and main cube in the other. Which, can leak a *bit* of info, but there'd be enough of both cards that it wouldn't be a hugehuge deal. Half the basic lands would be in each kind of sleeve.

Oh yeah, that's a good idea provided it's easy to tell the difference to quickly sort out the matte vs glossy for Occasionals. Might be overkill for twinned cubes, this part really hasn't been a big problem to me, but it would prevent some possible mix-ups. Ingenious!

I attempted to read the pyramid drafting rules, but my eyes fell off during this part

Do you have some kinda similar draft shape that's simple enough to be run on one of those online drafting sites?
I don't have anything ready, but I could suggest a starting point. It's certainly possible to avoid the second confusing phase, on paper it's not too hard to do but it's not possible on CC. Can you provide a link to a cube list? The main thing I'm looking for is the size, and what % of cards from the cube you'd want to be in the draft.

Clarification--do you have to play cards in doubles? Or do you just get two copies of each card and then get to choose? Apologies if I am reading this wrong, I am both sleep-deprived and jetlagged.

So, hopping off this because of my recent wishpost... I feel like the Twin format is fascinating because it naturally enables stuff that isn't good in normal cubes, simply because that stuff normally would eat up a ton of space.

Like, just to give a really basic example... it's really tricky to support A+B combos in normal cubes, since you either end up with not enough density within a single deck for it to be worth it or need to break singleton really hard to make sure that the player drafting Thopter Sword or whatever ends up with 2+ copies of each card. In a Twin Cube, you can just... stick them in the cube. If someone drafts both parts, they've got enough density that it's not improbable that the combo will come up in a game. Heck, throw in an extra slot for a tutor or wish, and you're up to almost constructed-levels of consistency.

(Yes, I'm aware that some people might view that as a downside... but it's interesting for people who want to design more combo-focused cubes).

In a broader sense, you can also do this with tribal payoffs — as japahn has pointed out, you're guaranteed to get two cards that synergize with each-other if you draft a tribal payoff, which means that the opportunity cost for including them in the cube is much lower. Which is honestly pretty exciting.