The Trading Post

It's been a minute, but I'm excited to jump back into Riptide waters. I'll create a more formal write-up as I get more time, but wanted to get this thread made. (Hopefully no one else here is using this name for their cube.)

I'm going for a retail limited power level environment based on exchanging resources for value. There are definitely some haymakers and pet cards, but hopefully none of them are too over-the-top or so underwhelming to be disappointing even when expecting to be an underdog.

Decks will likely lean midrange, but I've hopefully included enough tool for people to play more aggressive or controlling. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

Keeping to a lean ~270 cards since I'm likely only going to be playing with 2-4 folks and maybe even 6 if I get lucky! Plus a smaller cube means I can focus in on the gameplay I want to create without worrying too much about redundancy of effects.

The list is heavily inspired from Penny Pincher 2.0 Inventor's Fair along with lots of other ideas from the Riptide community. If you see a card you like in the list, you can assume I got the idea from you. :p

Here's the Cube Cobra list: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/u2c

I'm trying to limit the number of repeatable discard outlets so that the Haven player has to work for things a little bit. I'm okay with it being an aspirational card that sometimes goes off and makes a dozen drakes and other times doesn't make the maindeck.

That said here are some options I'm considering, all of which have the benefit of also going into artifact decks to varying degrees:

Network Terminal, Mnemonic Sphere, Masticore

I'm also willing to accept that Haven might be too hard to support/swingy in this environment. Definitely something I'm thinking about!

I'm trying to limit the number of repeatable discard outlets so that the Haven player has to work for things a little bit. I'm okay with it being an aspirational card that sometimes goes off and makes a dozen drakes and other times doesn't make the maindeck.
That's a good goal, but I don't think you currently have the density of cheap discard even for that particular play pattern to function as you intend. Most of your discard right now, even the single use cards, are a little expensive to start using. Drake Haven decks almost always rely on the ability to do multiple things the turn after landing the haven in order to make up the tempo loss playing a 3-mana card with no immediate impact creates. I think DH may end up being a trap if players are on average only going to be able to use an expensive cyclying ability like that of Starstorm or Rebuild and make a drake on turn 4. The required impact just isn't going to be there.

I'm also willing to accept that Haven might be too hard to support/swingy in this environment. Definitely something I'm thinking about!
I definitely don't think this is the case! You don't necessarily need repeatable discard outlets to enable the Haven, just cheaper ones to help close the tempo gap. Some stuff you're already playing like Blood Fountain and Cast Out do a really good job of providing cheap discard on good non-parasitic cards. You'll likely just need more of that.

That said here are some options I'm considering, all of which have the benefit of also going into artifact decks to varying degrees:

Network Terminal, Mnemonic Sphere, Masticore
Other potential discard outlets: Riddlesmith
I like this angle because it effectively makes Drake Haven a viable peice in the artifact deck, which is really cool! There are a couple other channel artifacts from Neon Dynasty you could use if you wish to reinforce this angle, like Reinforced Ronin, Mirrorshell Crab, and Twinshot Sniper.

This card is excessively medium though. It was medium in it's limited formats and it's probably not even good in drakes. Perhaps consider Dragonborn Looter, Facet Reader, or Raving Visionary if you desire to lock looting behind a mana paywall.