The TV Thread

I cannot stand this season of Daredevil because of Karen. She is so irritating. And her and Matt romantically? Not believable.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I finally caved and started watching GOT the other night. Oh man it's great. Hopefully I'm going to use it to save my masters thesis: I can't watch another episode until I've read another two scientific papers.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone watched Lady Dynamite? I've always loved Maria Bamford and her new show is wild.

I like it, about 5-6 episodes in. It's a fun show, but for me it's the opposite of binge-watch material. One episode and I'm set for a few days.

Probably more a fan of her stand-up than her show though.

Anyone else watching Westworld? Show is pretty sweet. I'm loving all the reddit deepdiving that's been happening.

New season of black mirror is solid. The Expanse was a great hard SciFi space opera about water rights and colonialism. Sam Bee has made this election bearable. The Crown is shaping up to be very good. Mr Robot and Stranger Things were fantastic. I didn't watch much TV this year.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
continuing my trend of hating anything critically acclaimed, I thought Stranger Things was fine but bailed on Westworld and Mr Robot quickly

The West Wing is even more grimly hilarious as we enter the Trump era (let Bannon be Bannon!)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
also, rank S3 Black Mirror episodes!

1. San Junipero
2-6. who cares

I tried watching an episode of Black Mirror on Netflix. I didn't realize two things:
a) that I was starting in Season 3 on accident
b) that the episodes are stand-alone.

That said, I thought S03E01 was terrible, and I couldn't sit through the whole thing. Anybody have a list of episodes to try if you're wanting to sell someone on the show?

I tried watching an episode of Black Mirror on Netflix. I didn't realize two things:

That said, I thought S03E01 was terrible, and I couldn't sit through the whole thing. Anybody have a list of episodes to try if you're wanting to sell someone on the show?

S1E2, "Fifteen Million Merits", is the best. S2E1, "Be Right Back", is also great. San Junipero (S3E4) was delightful.

Anyone else watching Westworld? Show is pretty sweet. I'm loving all the reddit deepdiving that's been happening.
Yes, it blew me away. I like it how it changes the way i think about characters in a tv-show. All of the scenes where the robots interact seem less meaningless from their perspective in my mind and if they die it doesn't affect me emotionally at all like in other tv-shows. The reason i mentioned this is because most of the stuff is just robots talking to each other or people, so it's funny. I was informed that the makers of Lost is on this tv-show, so it got me thinking this great first season may be the last good thing coming from Westworld, hehe.

I also started from the S03E01, but i sort of liked that one also. The story of it was a nightmare of mine, but it was an interesting nightmare !

The S01E01 was really great, start from there just like Aston said.

I've been watching The Genius, which is a Korean reality TV show. Each week the contestants play a simple social style game, like a simplified Resistance, but it's spread over several hours and they have a whole house with private rooms to discuss strategies and form alliances. The games they play are very clever in that each person wants to win individually, and gain immunity from elimination, or at least avoid coming last and being sent to the 1v1 elimination game, but they have to work with other players to achieve this. The combination of alliance forming, backstabbing, and having to perform relatively easy tasks under intense pressure makes for some of the funniest TV I've seen.

The first series is on youtube here:

Season One has full subtitles, I'm not sure about the others as I'm only just getting to the end of this but I think they're ongoing.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The Genius is my favourite show of all time, everyone watch it now

All four seasons are subtitled here

EDIT: Seriously, give it one episode. If you don't like it, fine, but humour me

Minor s2 spoilers

I'm unreasonably excited to se that Sangmin (and Jinho I guess) are returning

So Westworld finished up its first season with a big 90 minute finale, was a great watch. You've got a whole year to catch up on it before the 2nd season which apparently isn't coming until 2018. The show was pretty decent, not something all-time great ala Sopranos or The Wire but still a nice watch. Honestly, I had the most fun deepdiving on Reddit as the series was happening and getting caught up in all the detective work. There were so many theories floating around and for once in the history of fandom they fucking nailed it on the forums like weeks in advance. What a wild ride.