The TV Thread

I liked the Christmas episode and thought The Waldo Moment/Men Against Fire were pretty bad

Christmas episode was too long. Would've been good at a tight 45-50 minutes but the side plots didn't reinforce the theme and the technological conceit was the dumbest one to date

waldo moment was stupid, but at least it was internally consistent

That is good news! Good call, both by you and by them.

Again, I can't wait to see what they do with it. It sounds like it's going to be a radically different sort of Middle-Earth than we're used to seeing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Looking at the light sources, I'm going to have to agree with the article saying that those are likely the two trees of Valinor (see how there are two of them, one behind the other, looking like . . . trees?) and that therefore the city is, well, Valinor. That's the original home of the elves in space, which they left when Sauron's old boss Melkor AKA Morgoth took those trees . . . kinda. This is also where all the elves were going during the exodus during/after the movies, as well as Gandalf, Bilbo, and Frodo (and Gimli, later, because Reasons) (but there were obviously no trees then, due to them being stolen/sort of turned into the Moon and Sun).

Looking at the light sources, I'm going to have to agree with the article saying that those are likely the two trees of Valinor (see how there are two of them, one behind the other, looking like . . . trees?) and that therefore the city is, well, Valinor. That's the original home of the elves in space, which they left when Sauron's old boss Melkor AKA Morgoth took those trees . . . kinda. This is also where all the elves were going during the exodus during/after the movies, as well as Gandalf, Bilbo, and Frodo (and Gimli, later, because Reasons) (but there were obviously no trees then, due to them being stolen/sort of turned into the Moon and Sun).
Yeah why did Gimli actually go? I can’t remember reading the reason(s).

Iirc it was because he was declared elf-friend by Galadriel. My personal opinion, however, was that Legolas simply refused to leave without him and threw a big fit until Thranduil caved.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I watched a show I really enjoyed this year: Brassic. It's a bunch of guys in rural England with nothing going on but random petty crimes and schemes. Nothing goes right for them. If they were all morons, the show would just write itself, but fortunately they're not... mostly. The script is good, the characters are realistic, there's a nice level of drama, and I laughed a lot.

Will check out!

Has anyone seen The Expanse? I have not seen it yet but only heard good things about it. Most people say it's a smart show for smart people and truly accurate. What's your opinion on that?

If you like hard scifi, then you'll like the world of The Expanse. It's probably the most "realistic" show of its type running now in terms of worldbuilding, so if that's what determines your taste in shows it'll certainly do so here. However, I don't think that that makes it any more of a "smart person's show" than Rick and Morty is. We can all enjoy fun stories regardless of our scores on arbitrary tests, and I think this is a fun one. I don't like it quite as much as I do Battlestar Galactica, but then again that show hit me at a formative time. I'd say it's worth checking out!

Excellent hard sci fi, and a pretty interesting plot, at least in the first couple seasons. I haven't seen all of it.

So in case anyone was wondering.. House of the Dragon has premiere today/tomorrow depending on time zone.

The Rings of Power in 2 weeks.

Nathan Fielder for HBO's The Rehearsal is unique and compelling. very funny very thought provoking. must-see tv. The final episode just aired this weekend and I'm still thinking about it, a lot, a lot a lot.

0uddat8ln6j91.jpg

Had low expectation and watched it on a whim last night, but the first episode was great. Took me right back to early GoT feels. As long as they stick to the source material (which is complete), this should be a fun ride.

Just started watching the latest Simon Reeves travel series. South America. 5 episodes all now on Iplayer. Always a good watch.