General (theory) playgroups and the cube teleology and experience

CML

Contributor
so the initial purpose of this post was to ask everyone what their play-groups looked like and how that jived with their cube design and though i'd like to do that i thought i'd explore the issue a little further.

when i started playing mtg again it was with a bunch of old friends, one of whom (the guy who spearheaded it all) had gotten travis woo into the game some sixteen years ago. this was in 2010. i hadn't played for about a decade. the short version is that these drafts went on weekly for awhile, online poker died, i had to find something to do, i played a ton of modo, my friends got jobs or wasted their time in other terrible ways, the drafts became less frequent, i made a cube, interest briefly spiked, the cube exhibited many common design flaws, interest dwindled, i t8'ed an scg here, i made some friends, these friends came to cube, the cube became better, these friends' friends came to cube, the cube became even better, and that brings us to the present day.

i've noticed that as my skill has grown the difficulty of the formats we've drafted has grown. since the converse is certainly true as well there's a muddled correlation and causation -- in other words, not only do playgroups improve cube, cube improves playgroups. (cube is the most skill-testing of formats -- and if you want to read about the absence of these notions from the modo cube's design and how that explains why that cube an abortion, here's my old thread on it: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/riptide-laboratory/KSbgXi2QpPk).

i'm very fortunate to have access to the playgroup i do. there's about 15-20(?) of us who show up semi-regularly. maybe 13 of us play competitively. three of us (not me!) have won ptq's. four have t8'ed scg opens. one has t16'ed a gp. two brew decks across formats. the 'worst' players are casual-ties like my dad, my soccer buddy et al. and their decks are often very good.

in an old tcgplayer article i talked about some of the intrinsic problems with casual formats (mainly EDH, which i fucking hate a lot): the diversity of skill level, card availability, card familiarity, time to construct decks, and especially differing subjective notions of what 'fun' is. these are admirably solved by cube.

since people always come back, i get to see them do different things with cube. for example, a blue-in-every-formats guy drafted the nut GB deck with gyre sage, survival, deed, and grave titan. my dad, who loves to not 'win more' but 'lose less,' drafted aggro. on the other hand, since it's not the same exact people over and over again, we get fresh sets of eyes to try and 'break' the cube. a sometime contestant first-picked acidic slime and built reanimator LD to modest success. a relatively new player drafted the first uwr tempo deck we've ever had. these 'brews' often match up well against the baseline decks, among which are naya/jund zoo, ux control, 3-color midrange, gw beats. players both new and old are constantly discovering new things that are possible within the cube.

what it comes down to is that the cube design benefits greatly from my play-group; tastes and preferences evolve over time; the cube makes the players better; the players make the cube better. i should reiterate that this is so much richer than the modo cube, whose design philosophy (i mean sophistry) is 'give the peasants what they want' and 'rearrange the furniture to create the illusion of progress' (cf. the corporate mentality of wizards turning many of its employees and player-subjects into self-loathing narcissists and compulsive liars, but this is a topic for another thread).

anyway, my cube was once plagued by the same bad design flaws as the modo cube. the curve was too high. the fixing was too sparse and too slow. there were unplayable cards and unbeatable cards. the spells durdled. aggro sucked. walkers dominated. then my playgroup suggested i could do better. i listened. week by week the cube improved. getting nice proxies for onslaught fetches (thanks, dan!) and revised duals was a huge step towards the current design; that simple change made the drafting experience so much more fun. the interplay between players eliminating the cube's flaws and the cube eliminating players' flaws is analogous to how the game of mtg encourages one to deal with one's issues; it is useless and clichéd to point out that the culture of the game too often aggravates those same issues. this culture of dishonesty and insecurity is absent from my cube. i wish that this was true for all of magic.

to finish up, i'd like to briefly outline what a night looks like. we draft once a week on wednesdays. we start "at 630" which really means "somewhere between 645 and 700." the entry fee is a six-pack of nice beer, but only if you liked the cube enough to come back. we always drink a lot of beer. we sometimes smoke weed. i try to invite only people i like, and for the most part i succeed at this. we can accommodate up to 9 players (15*3*9=405) though the median is probably 8. when we have too many people we just switch off and play whatever constructed format we feel like. there are no rounds; you're encouraged to play whomever you want. table-talk and "signaling" are supported. there are two gameplay-based house rules. the first is that the die roll is forbidden and best-2-of-3 RPS is mandated (one two shoot, west-coast style). the second is that the second mull is always to 6. there are no prizes. takebacks are encouraged. all of magic is a learning experience and i would rather not pretend otherwise.

how have your cubes influenced your play-groups? how have your play-groups influenced your cubes? what do your draft nights look like?

I can only partially answer your questions since my group and I have only just started cubing this month- certainly not long enough for my cube to influence my play-group to any appreciable degree.

I did, however, know roughly who was going to be in the group while I was in the process of assembling the cube. Including myself there are 14 members in the group. This provides a large enough pool that there will always be a full 8-person draft. I set up the next several events on Facebook, and then let them fill up however they may. 7 of us are competitive players who love going to tournaments, and the other 7 are solid technical players who are quite good, but don't keep up with the tournament scene quite as much. The few of us who remember the "Dark Ages" of Magic love the nostalgia trip, and those that don't love playing with cards they have never encountered before. The FB group has actually been a great help, as it lets me keep the drafts with people I enjoy playing with.

Draft nights start at 7pm, the buy-in is a pack of cards from the most recent set- payout is 4-2-1-1. There is usually beer/wine/spirits involved, and we go until around midnight. This is casual Magic, so takebacks are allowed, but most of the players feel that the best way to learn is to let the mistake happen, so it is uncommon to see. No other house rules, despite some of my players' lobbying to return mana burn to the game :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Chris, I am jealous. We have no PTQ winners in our group, and even our PTQ grinders don't seem to have the most solid grasp of cube drafting. I get good feedback from my players, but most of it is not volunteered. I have to dig for it, e.g. "What did you think about your deck? "What sorts of cards seemed to be missing?" "Was this archetype more fun to play today?"

There's also a large degree of learning going on. Most common is that people don't seem to be able to really commit to building a true aggro deck, and overvalue expensive cards. Too many players don't step back and try to evaluate what their gameplan actually is. How do you intend to win? What's your gameplan here? But they are learning. We allow takebacks (as long as no known information has changed), I remind people of triggers, and players frequently discuss their hand after they have taken a mulligan to get input from other players. People are improving, which is nice to see.

The biggest way my players help is simply by being there. Playtesting is the biggest bottleneck, and I'm really appreciative of the fact that they spend their Sunday afternoons inside a card shop slinging pieces of cardboard. They are patient with me even as I try ridiculous ideas, and I couldn't come up with the ideas I do if they weren't so willing to let me experiment.

We play for free. Many of our players play cube as their only form of Magic now, so packs have no real value to them (or to me really). We have an in-store bar, so people buy each other drinks all day long. Sometimes I offer up a cash bounty to the person that 3 - 0's.

CML

Contributor
the in-store bar! i thought this existed only at card kingdom! i might have to visit belgium. (there's a bar here that serves trappist ales, and cafe mox even had duchesse de bourgogne for a couple weeks!)

anyway, i've also noticed how non-cubers undervalue fixing and all the kinds of cards that make constructed decks tick and are sparsely distributed in cube. noble hierarch is an awesome p1p1. a fetchland is not a bad p1p1. the players that have cubed before (with conventional cubes, powered or not) pick up on that quickly, though, and adapt to mine within the span of a single draft.

on one hand i agree it's kind of people to show up and play something we made up when they could be doing anything else. on the other hand what point would there be to making a cube unless it offered pleasure, and pleasure in a distinctive way. i guess i also sympathize with the proverbial novelist who commends his readers on their excellent taste.

as a corollary to that point my playgroup is filled only with honest men (er, honest people) and i expect them to tell me when cards a,b,c are no fun. if they're wrong then who cares, they can learn why i think that and a nice exchange of ideas can take place. sometimes i've gotta draw these out too but it's a triumph over the whole culture of not being able to deal with criticism that plagues the broader community. sentimental coda: i like how my friends keep it real and i like how you guys keep it real too.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
On that note I do feel that anybody who has the opinion that a high density of fixing just leads to "four-color good stuff" winning every draft is probably playing with some number of awful players on a regular basis. When I play with a bunch of novices I can toss together a random 4-color pile, but with good players to my left and right I sometimes struggle to even hit the consistency I'd like in a two-color deck. It's also very much a function of your density of context-independent "good stuff" you're packing. Bad players will also make suboptimal picks (i.e. let the good stuff pass on through), which accentuates the problem.

There also seems to be a complete underestimation of the quality of mana base needed for a consistent deck. It's like people ignore what constructed decks actually look like or think about the statistics of color fixing. On another forum a regular poster said something to the effect of "anything more than three fixing-lands for a two-color deck is complete overkill".

CML

Contributor
yes, i've said it before and i'll say it again, the 4c midrange decks in standard right now

*were not possible in other standard formats (5cc was control; it had a lot of CIPT lands)
*play mono-duals and stack their decks with 4 farseeks and sometimes some other dork acceleration
*are still terrible

it's odd that conventional cube builders propound "4c midrange" as some kind of doomsday scenario while someone can't find their second color, someone else just had black vise cast on them, and someone else just ramped into a nice fatty only to have balance cast on them. the complaints smack of intellectual dishonesty. one thing games teach us is that 'intellectual' dishonesty has a great deal to do with emotions -- i can now more easily tell when someone is not having fun, or someone is not truly happy.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
When it comes down to it, cube looks like limited. It has the same rules as limited. It plays very much like limited. To that end, it shouldn't be at all surprising that people go into with the same mindset as playing limited, rather then trying to apply "what constructed decks look like." On the surface, such thoughts seem entirely irrelevant: this isn't constructed. When someone says that more then 3 fixing decks in a two-color deck is complete overkill, that makes perfect sense. In the average retail draft environment (ie not multi-color focused), you often have 0-1 fixing lands in your two color decks and its just fine. I know I won multiple x3 Innistrad Drafts playing R/W aggro and I didn't once have a Clifftop Retreat. In all honesty, I wouldn't even p3p1 a clifftop retreat over any Red or White removal in that environment. The expectation that consistency is more important then power level or synergy runs counter to what a lot of people expect from a limited environment.

Personally, I loathe "constructed quality manabases". I like a strong tension between power and consistency. I like knowing that picking up a second fixing land will force me to have to run a sub-optimal 23rd card. I like the fun of trying to get value out of that "bad card". In short, I sympathize with the complaints of the "conventional cube builder".

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think that's a good point. Your preference for manabases can be just that: a preference.

I don't take any issue with that sentiment (wanting less fixing), but what can be a little perplexing is when the same people complain about the lack of balance in their aggro archetypes. I think the most important aspect is cohesion in design. If you want less consistent manabases, that should also be reflected in the quality of the control cards you include (for example).

Anyways, don't mean to be preaching to the choir. You clearly have a good grasp of all of this, and have an environment informed by a different set of preferences. There's certainly no one right answer here.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think when people make a cube, they start with the wrong question. They ask, "What card so I want in my cube", when the should be asking, "What do I want my cube to do?" Then they get frustrated that their cube doesn't do what they want it to.

I think people expect the principles of good retail limited play to apply to cube, forgetting that the way the set is designed dictates what constitutes good play. I think back to all the people who thought they were awesome drafters when Urza's Saga came out. They tried to carry over what worked in Tempest draft, taking all the burn and aggro dudes. Then they lost to this guy.
Image.ashx

Most of my cubing is with only two people, usually late at night after my kids are asleep. I've been very fortunate to have two different dedicated cube partners, first in Philly and now in the Bay Area. It's great how little organization is required--I send a text after dinner, and they're there with a six-pack in a hour. Both are much, much better players than I am, and my overall MTG skills have increased exponentially since I've been cubing. They also occasionally hand me a card they opened in a store draft that I wouldn't normally spend the money on, since I still think of my cube as "budget". (Ha!) We constantly talk about what works and what doesn't in the cube, and make small swaps continually from the on-deck box.

I have had to adjust the cube to draft with two, but I do sometimes get a 6 or 8 man draft in a couple of times a year, so I also don't want to switch over to a dedicated 2-man cube. We have a very odd, fiddly way of drafting now that combines Winston and Grid and allows for more synergistic decks than before, which helps.

At this point, we can do two drafts, with the winning decks playing each other in a third round, in about two hours. We try to win, but also are happy experimenting with odd niche decks if they emerge from the card pool.

Finally, if things feel stale, I have a fully-powered streamlined Space Cube (rethemed as sci-fi) and a nice copy of the (updated!) Split Card Cube for a change of pace.

CML

Contributor
When it comes down to it, cube looks like limited. It has the same rules as limited. It plays very much like limited. To that end, it shouldn't be at all surprising that people go into with the same mindset as playing limited, rather then trying to apply "what constructed decks look like." On the surface, such thoughts seem entirely irrelevant: this isn't constructed. When someone says that more then 3 fixing decks in a two-color deck is complete overkill, that makes perfect sense. In the average retail draft environment (ie not multi-color focused), you often have 0-1 fixing lands in your two color decks and its just fine. I know I won multiple x3 Innistrad Drafts playing R/W aggro and I didn't once have a Clifftop Retreat. In all honesty, I wouldn't even p3p1 a clifftop retreat over any Red or White removal in that environment. The expectation that consistency is more important then power level or synergy runs counter to what a lot of people expect from a limited environment.

Personally, I loathe "constructed quality manabases". I like a strong tension between power and consistency. I like knowing that picking up a second fixing land will force me to have to run a sub-optimal 23rd card. I like the fun of trying to get value out of that "bad card". In short, I sympathize with the complaints of the "conventional cube builder".

not to derail the thread too much but part of my point was that a 'constructed-quality manabase' is not possible in cube, even in my cube, and the 'tension between power and consistency' is stronger when 'fixing or a spell' is an actual choice, as it isn't in III (you noted above) or in the conventional cube. it makes me wonder if you've even tried to draft cube with a lot of fixing

edit: III was a fun format too and there are plenty of examples of analogous formats, but the whole 'cube must be like limited' thing, even when it means assuming the bad aspects of limited (color-screw, non-games, needing to draft and draw bombs, unplayable cards, too much direction) frustrates me, as the alternative likely hasn't been tried. i guess i also have some contempt for the idea that it's richer and more fun to scramble about for playables than it is to cut good cards for the same reason

second edit: actually, this fits with the discussion pretty well, since FSR (if i'm not mistaken) you said you don't play mtg all that much and your playgroup doesn't play much either, with the cube reinforcing playgroup's preferences and vice versa. any number of parallels to the design of current limited formats, modo cube, nwo etc. are also possible

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I don't mean to say cube should play like limited. What I mean to say is that cube "looks" like a limited format, so it shouldn't surprise us that people will expect it to play like one and design it to play like one. When people figure out that their cube doesn't actually play out like it "should" they think something is "wrong" and of course there is. They didn't actually design it to do what they wanted it to do.

My entire enjoyment of cube comes from the fact that it fixes the problems of retail limited. I don't consider not having "awesome mana" to be a problem with limited. I consider having "awesome mana" to be a problem with constructed.

CML

Contributor
well, all constructed manabases are greedy in their own way and yet cube manabases by definition are always worse. i'm curious as to why you (think you?) dislike "awesome mana" given that the "tension between power and consistency" is stronger in cube, the "4c good-stuff" deck is never possibly a deck, and casting spells is fun

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think we're in the domain of "different strokes for different folks". I mean, I had a blast going 7 - 0 at a free Pack Wars event last year, and part of the fun was that the mana was so atrocious. My rare in the opening pack was Worldfire, and my deck had three red sources in it. It's not what I want to do every day, but I can see that lower power things have their appeal.

That said, I do think that even in a high-density of fixing environment there is still a great deal of tension between fixing and taking actual cards. Nearly every pack you'll see a choice between taking a fetchland or some sweet card. That sweet card you pass? Somebody else is going to get it.

In some cubes the density of fixing is so sparse relative to the speed/power of the format that taking fixing in your colors is the obligatory pick. In other formats the speed is slow enough that getting higher quality cards is almost always the better choice.

As far as retail environments go, I felt RTR had a pretty good tension between fixing and spells.

CML

Contributor
jason -- on the topic, your predecessor on cfb (andy cooperfauss?) had an article analyzing the amount of fixing in various multi-color limited formats, but sadly i can't find it

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
well, all constructed manabases are greedy in their own way and yet cube manabases by definition are always worse. i'm curious as to why you (think you?) dislike "awesome mana" given that the "tension between power and consistency" is stronger in cube, the "4c good-stuff" deck is never possibly a deck, and casting spells is fun
I disagree with the assertion that casting spells is fun. That's probably the source of your curiosity.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Magic would certainly be less fun if all lands were Utopia lands that tapped for all five colors. I suspect everyone has their preferred spot along the spectrum.

landofMordor

Administrator
"one thing games teach us is that 'intellectual' dishonesty has a great deal to do with emotions -- i can now more easily tell when someone is not having fun, or someone is not truly happy."

that's a gem right there. so much sophistry boils down to "i didn't have fun" or "this card makes me feel good".

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yes it certainly is a gem. Where is CML and the other oldies? Did they just vanish?
There's a few of us still here. Besides Jason, James Stevenson, Chris Taylor, Dom Harvey, Chriskool, VincePendrell, and Alfonzo Bonzo have been around since 2013 as well. shamizy, Rasmus Källqvist, Peter LaCara, safra, silasw, Suicufnoc, Modin, Mondschwein, and myself registered in 2014. There's a bunch of people from 2015 still active as well :)

That list is longer than I would have guessed, by the way.