General Theorycrafting: Designing a Simple Land Metagame

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So this weekend James and I tested a prototype 2-man format that actually proved to be much more fun than expected.

Basically you give each player a pool of 100 nonland cards from the cube, then build decks of exactly 15 cards and smash them against each other. The winner keeps his deck, and the loser has to retire the cards from their deck and build a new one from their pool. After every game you can side out (and retire) up to 3 cards from your deck. If a deck wins 2 matches in a row, it is forced to retire. Best of 7 matches.

As an instant (any time they have priority), the players have access the the following ability:
Pay 3 Life: Shuffle your graveyard into your library.

The format centers around quick deckbuilding, but I wanted a set of lands that allow for quick deckbuilding but also have some decision making and a good, clear, risk / reward dynamic.

Here was my first take. Each player gets:
6 of each basic
2 Ghost Quarter
3 Grand Coliseum that ETB untapped
and 3 Evolving Wilds that fetch from your "collection" instead of your library

It worked fine, but I wasn't quite happy with it. I guess ETB untapped Coliseums are strictly better than City of Brass, which is maybe too aggro heavy? Using them and managing life loss felt quite good though. I had one zombie deck where I got to 1 life off my own lands and had to make some real difficult resource allocation problems.

The Evolving Wilds were fun because they allow you to get more lands than are in your deck, and you can choose whether to crack them or not at different times based on your shuffles, and has interesting interactions with cards like Bloodghast, Crucible of Worlds, Sphinxes Revelation, etc.

The Ghost Quarters were basically never used. That didn't really work as desired.

Abstractly, I want a dynamic that keeps you in check for overloading on nonbasics, or some tension there, but I don't have great ideas on what lands to use to make it better. They played pretty well, but it doesn't feel perfect. Does anybody have better ideas?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here's the problem I'm struggling with. Although the ETB Untapped Coliseum was fun to play with, it seemed far more powerful than its Evolving Wilds counterpart. Perhaps Evolving Wilds should put the land into play untapped? Being only able to fetch a basic still makes it not strictly superior to, say, a regular fetchland.

One unique tension that the untapped Evolving Wilds presented was that you had to decide in advance whether you wanted the mana, and whether you wanted to dilute your graveyard.

The other alternative is to power down the "aggro" land. What about this guy:

It presents a particularly unique dynamic here, because any lands in your graveyard "dilute" your shuffles. One of the problems was that, when games ran long, aggro decks were drawing all gas because their lands all stay on the battlefield, but a deck playing a fetchland is drawing those again (assuming they've cracked them). With Gemstone Mine, aggro decks have to decide if they want to water down draws by taking the last counter off. Could be interesting. I usually draft and play Gemstone Mine in my real cube aggro decks, so I know it's powerful enough in that setting. The downside is that non-aggro decks aren't particularly interested in this card.

I'm not averse to using something that is in theory strictly more powerful than existing lands. I liked the ETB untapped Coliseum, but I'm more concerned with having a good balance among the array of lands I present.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I think it needs to be tried. It definitely becomes a lot more interesting in this setting. It sounds hard to play with, actually. If you run out of land you can shuffle it back in, but then you might be mana screwed and you might not draw it. Maybe run it over grand coliseum (I had no idea that was how you spelled coliseum, it looks weird). I also think you should have another cycle of lands in there. Maybe Blasted Landscape? And maybe only 2 of each. I would try that, personally. It would make building the manabase just a little more interesting and I think it would be in a good place.

Clearly I've never played the thing before but how many 15-card aggro decks can you make out of any 100 cards? It feels really odd to me that you'd have a substantial package of lands that can be used every game when part of the pressure is never being able to use cards again if you lose (or side them out)
Abstractly, I want a dynamic that keeps you in check for overloading on nonbasics, or some tension there, but I don't have great ideas on what lands to use to make it better.
I'd have to say the tension of never being able to use the cards again should be enough, rather than making a metagame to punish drawing all three of the nonbasics they're allowed to play with every game as their opening lands.

I can't quite wrap my head around the dynamics of making a 15-card deck that you can shuffle back, but it seems simpler to just give them a number of the cards that they can only use once or, if you're dead set on making a mini-meta, a rule that those lands (and the tec edges or whatever you decide on) get exiled and can never be shuffled back. Or something. Maybe I'm just thinking of this all wrong, it's hard to judge without trying it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly I've never played the thing before but how many 15-card aggro decks can you make out of any 100 cards? It feels really odd to me that you'd have a substantial package of lands that can be used every game when part of the pressure is never being able to use cards again if you lose (or side them out)
I'd have to say the tension of never being able to use the cards again should be enough, rather than making a metagame to punish drawing all three of the nonbasics they're allowed to play with every game as their opening lands.

I can't quite wrap my head around the dynamics of making a 15-card deck that you can shuffle back, but it seems simpler to just give them a number of the cards that they can only use once or, if you're dead set on making a mini-meta, a rule that those lands (and the tec edges or whatever you decide on) get exiled and can never be shuffled back. Or something. Maybe I'm just thinking of this all wrong, it's hard to judge without trying it.

Maybe my title was misleading. It's less about having a metagame and more about having a simple selection of lands that play well.

The point of having reusable lands is for simplicity and ease of deckbuilding. This should be a fun, rapid prototyping sort of deckbuilding, not agonizing over when you're going to use your Scalding Tarn or whatever. It's a simplicity that streamlines the experience.

But you may be right that the tension of which cards to play should be enough.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Sample decks:

UR Delver

WRb Aggro

WRb Control

UB Control

Esper Zombies

WG Midrange

Golgari Ramp

Gruul Ramp

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I wanna point out something about that last ramp deck. I was running 3x the Evolving Wilds variant, so this was heavily based around crucible of worlds. Lots of healthy landfall shenanigans.

I like this idea but I'm like way interested in increasing the number of cards in your deck by like 5 or something.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ramp mirror:
3pekcIr.jpg

I was actually thinking it would be fun to get you a bunch of Coliseums with a line sharpied outfor christmas/whim.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, actually, this fetchland already has a built-in downside because it dilutes your shuffles. You're drawing less gas in the end game.

The coliseums are no more, and are now reverse City of Brass cards.
BrassBurnwillows.jpg