• One of VibeBox's goofy cubes, probably the Jank Cube

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Eric Chan's adjective-free highly-neutral Cube

• Charm Cube

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sunday 2/8 at 3 PM MST got the highest votes, so we'll do a draft at that time. Should be 4 people or more, because I didn't vote and our last draft was entirely filled with people who showed up without voting.

Saturday at 12 PM MST also looks pretty good, but I will probably be busy recovering from various shit so I won't be there. If you wanna have it, I recommend proceeding without me - sufficient # of folks learned how Drafts.in and Cockatrice work last week, or just already knew it like VibeBox did.

Here are some options for what we could draft, loosely based on recent forum buzz, lasting infamy, general weirdness, my personal bias, etc. Might be fun to continue "mastering" grillo's cube, more likely we all wanna try something new.

The Fancy Mystical Cube is an old cube of mine; it's flavor first, followed by art, then lastly mechanics. And the fixing section is terrible. "Peep" the cube description on the blog or marvel at the art in the visual spoiler. Then, do what I know you're all gonna do, and just vote for the Desert cube anyways, since we've all been geekin on it. Votes for The Fancy Cube are being counted as votes for Grillo's Penny Pincer. See below.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
That title is gold :) I always test how software handles diacritics. It tends to go awry.

PS. I love how your quote messes up the "T" :D

Glad to help :) Man I had a lame time trying to get my "What Is James Listening To?" properly display "Trentemøller" when I was listening to it. I know the pain, and that's a really small example.

I renominate Grillo's Penny Pincer Cube, a couple people have mentioned it.
Aw poop. There was so much noise about the Desert cube it completely drowned out the mention of The Pincer.

Well, any votes for my shitty old cube will instead be counted as a vote for the Penny Pincher. Because I'd much rather draft that. Thanks for the reminder!

Okay, on Cockatrice in one half hour, the room name will be Desert Cube and the password will be volcanic hammer. From there, we'll create a draft on drafts.in.

Change your game filter to enable password protected games, then double click The Desert.

If you have any questions, don't use Skype, because Skype is malware. Instead, point your IRC client to ##CubeLab on the Freenode server. Or use the following URL to visit with your browser:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=##CubeLab

VibeBox

Contributor
well it's going down right now in password protected room on cockatrice
password "volcanic hammer"
last chance to hop in before we fill with randos

I'm going to keep that IRC channel up, because y'all gotta stop using Skype. :p

Today's deck:
Fact or Fiction (0)

Enslave (0)

Tainted AEther (0)

Geth's Verdict (0)

Dehydration (4)
Swamp

Ivory Tower (0)

Cabal Shrine (4)
Island

Wing Splicer (0)

Matopi Golem (0)

Extinction (0)

Memory Lapse (0)

Psychatog (0)

Counterspell (0)

Moriok Scavenger (0)

Ghost Town (0)

Grixis Panorama (2)
Accumulated Knowledge

Diabolic Edict (0)

Desert (0)

Dry Spell (0)

Brainstorm (2)
Bad River

Obelisk of Grixis (0)

Chainer's Edict (0)

Alloy Myr (0)

Grand Coliseum (0)

Teferi's Isle (0)

Sift (0)

Skeleton Shard (0)

Salt Flats (0)

Okay, that didn't work. Fuck it, ship it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I am utterly confused by that deck list. I am also sad that Jelger Wiegersma lost the semis mirror match last night, the finals were a match made in heaven for Splinter Twin :)

I think I finally figured out /deck BBCode, at least. The trouble with /cubedeck is it requires me to remember what the CMC of cards are, and in the case of a stranger's cube I typically don't know/remember many CMCs, especially in the sideboard.

As cool as Cabal Shrineand Tainted Aetherare against people with more creatures than me, or people rocking a bunch of Kindle, they ultimately got sideboarded out for more reliable cards: one or two Kindles of my own and uh, some stuff.

Sideboard

Sideboard (9)
Horizon Drake #never used. considered it against VibeBox's nastylands
Hunting Drake #great SB card, this cube is intentionally red-heavy
Suq'Ata Firewalker #never used
Ancestral Memories #wanted to try it, when it was in my deck the games were too fast
Sol Grail #this got into my deck once or twice, never on the board
Three Wishes #damn I wanted to use this
Trade Routes #I sb'd this in a couple times but cockatrice reset my deck to defaults both times because I didn't know about the evil rule of green and red squares yet
Declaration of Naught #seemed cool for anti-kindle, never got it into my deck though
Ancestral Knowledge #wanted to try this, was advised not to by Vibebox

HATE DRAFT (1)
Viashino Heretic #I am so glad I picked this, because games where my Ivory Tower got going were pretty much won games

Splashboard (3)
Wall of Heat
Kindle #this got used as a finisher in match 3, game 3

Jseless Jank (6)
Sandskin
Sphere of Law
City of Traitors
Whirling Dervish
Armored Guardian
Skyshroud Forest

Match 1 against Silas W, I seriously fucked up by forgetting to counter a 6/7 beasty when I had the mana up to do it, but was overwhelmed by the UI and new cards and somewhat autopiloting. I think I ended up winning, though. Or losing. We played 3 games, is the important part! Land drops were very kind to me so I had the opportunity to play some good Enslaves, which didn't happen much in match 2 or 3. I played a couple bad Enslaves in those matches, but no one had fatties like silas's.

Match 2 against "ZEKE" I lost pretty hard, the damage came in too fast and I tended to have the wrong kind of removal in hand at every turn.

Match 3 against VibeBox, I typically had the right removal in hand at all times and Ivory Tower (when it came down) trivialized his Kindles, though we did end up playing 3 games because something something idk. It felt like my cardpool was somewhat of a counter to his cardpool, he played it well though. Game 2 was a pretty sound drubbign I just can't remember how it went down. I had a little too much card draw and a little too few/weak wincons, so I very nearly lost by deckout in game 1, and game 3 went ultra long too.

Moriok Scavenger was amazing, but the artifact that revives articreatures never hit the board for whatever reason. Sat at the bottom of my deck most times I guess, the few times I had it in hand, I had to make other plays.

During the draft someone freaked out when they saw Psychatog wheeling past them. The card didn't look that special to me, but I grabbed it on its second pass around the table. It mostly served as a lightning rod for opponents' removal spells; a Standard Bearer if you will. People generally were afraid to attack into it, too, which I understood better although I rarely had more than 1 card I was willing to discard to it, either a land or an articreature, since I wasn't Reanimator. Maybe in reanimator p-tog gets scary.

VibeBox

Contributor

ughomgthisdeckcode

we've got to get an easier way to post decklists. there's got to be a way to just have it process a .cod file

anyway, desert cube was fun. i think he he went a tad overboard on kindles since but it's all so flavourful i loved it.
drafted the shit out of lands pack 1, had to actually cut another desert, had the fixing for green too but cut some because i never saw anything worth splashing.

army ants was my psychatog. cast it in most of my matches to have opponent immediately flip out and kill it.
trench wurm was a stud
i was actually building around worm harvest but it was unspectacular every time i cast it
these 5 drop golems should be like....anything useful instead.
ashes to ashes was disappointing mostly because there's actually quite a few artifact creatures around
do not play Bad Card divining witch

thanks for the games everyone. gonna keep trying to generate interest for these each weekend because it's sweet drafting with riptiders. i have accumulated some adventurous cubers from the cockatrice public to fill these kinds of things and tried to point them here

Match 1 against Silas W, I seriously fucked up by forgetting to counter a 6/7 beasty when I had the mana up to do it, but was overwhelmed by the UI and new cards and somewhat autopiloting. I think I ended up winning, though. Or losing. We played 3 games, is the important part! Land drops were very kind to me so I had the opportunity to play some good Enslaves, which didn't happen much in match 2 or 3. I played a couple bad Enslaves in those matches, but no one had fatties like silas's.

You took the match, I went all-in on a Shivan Wurm in game 3 and you had the Enslave. I promptly scooped.

I ended up 2-1 though; my other opponents didn't have the same efficient removal so my fatties were able to get there. I'll post a decklist later, but I had:
Rathi Dragon
Topan Ascetic
Shivan Wurm
Mungha Wurm
Fallow Wurm
Tunneler Wurm
(Wurm tribal!)

I really like these early strong wurms with a drawback that you can build around, way better than the high-costed "fair" wurms that I'm more familiar with. Very neat, if risky. A new option for making green interesting that I wasn't aware had so many pieces to it.