General Tinkerer's Cube (MTGA)

So I missed this the first time around, but yesterday I was watching it on Twitch and today I played my first two drafts.

The format is actually interesting. It's basically "no-control" Magic - no board wipes, limited removal. There are a few bombs, but their power level is limited too, and what feels really powerful are the synergies. You get huge board states and you actually have a tension between front-loading threats vs scaling, so I found the format to be pretty skill-testing.

If you haven't played it, I recommend trying out a few drafts.

Has anyone played it? I only found Ravnic's post in CBS back in September.

--------------------------

I only drafted twice (and watched another 2 drafts), but my early take on the format is:

If you draft a deck only around synergy, you end up playing a lot of bad cards, so you have to draft a deck of good cards with synergies for scaling to the long game.

Games can be quick against aggro, but non-aggro matchups are veeeery long. Milling out has been a consideration in many matches (though none actually ended by milling, but in one my opponent has to kill their own The Great Henge like 3 turns before lethal and killed me with 0 cards in library). Absurd life totals can happen - I've gotten to 130 life and lost to damage. Boards get absurd and sometimes the speed of your scaling like quadratic (Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter) or exponential scaling (Rhys the Redeemed) is what matters.

I've played against 3 mill decks, but they didn't seem very good. Maybe the builds weren't right.

I've also played against monored aggro, and the deck seems legitimately good. I imagine it must be very pod-dependant whether it ends up good or not.

White and green are really strong because they are the colors that can scale best. Blue seemed weaker than the rest. I didn't like the color imbalance, but the draft part self-balances somewhat.

The power band is pretty wide, but few threats are so pressing that you don't have the option between removing them or trying to build your own board. The power is concentrated on the defensive and scaling cards. Most weaker cards still can be filler, I've been pummeled to death by a proliferated Trollbred Guardian. Took like 10 hits from 6/6 to 13/13. Some cards, though, are really bad and honestly just unplayable. Looking at your, Kalastria Nightwatch.

First draft I went with a BG deck that had some sacrifice synergies but they were just not enough. Didn't know many of the cards I picked too, and ended up with not enough playables. Ended 1-3.

Second draft I was WB Lifegain, and the deck was pretty strong in the early-mid game, but what really carried it were strong cards like Resplendent Angel and Heliod, Sun-Crowned (my first pick). Went 5-3. In 2 out of 3 games I lost, I felt like I could've won if I had played more tightly.

I played it though sadly not much because I don't have the coins to do it. I haven't been to impressed, it feels a bit rough.

I like that it makes a serious attempt towards synergy-building. However, I have found the actual design of the archetypes to leave much to be desired. You have many narrow or very questionable cards in the draft. Like you say, games go very long because it's difficult to push through. I think this is a flaw with the card pool and not an intentional feature. Decks don't have much reach or natural ways to get card advantage. For example, there are a bunch of practically useless token makers in red at a cost of 4 and 5 mana that simply don't pull their weight. Making two Mogg Fanatic variants for 5 mana won't win you a game, ever. You can end up with not enough playables somewhat reliably.

Removal is very scarce and weak. I've found very few ways to deal with "bombs" or otherwise snowballing cards. Resplendent Angel is a good example, but that "weak" Ral planeswalker may very well be unkillable with 4+2 loyalty on etb.I find there are many tokens and few ways to get through them. Playing "synergy" won't get you far enough, you need these strong cards to win.

I agree that Red-based aggro, like always, seems a good strategy. You have a ton of strong red spells like Hellrider, Hazoret and Phoenix of Ash. Nobody takes them, either. You do have to prioritize any burn you can find and you can find yourself unable to attack. There are some very high-toughness creatures and quite a bit of lifegain. It can be rough.

The more I play the cube, the worse I think it is. I just lost to Ashiok, Dream Render eating 20 cards of my library. I couldn't kill it and the board was so clogged I didn't deal a single point of damage to him. The previous game I just mind controlled a Multani, Yavimaya Avatar and won because it trampled. You can draft a good deck with only 2-3 cards that interact with your opponent, the rest is pure snowballing, life gain and token spam.

You can lose the game because your opponent played a turn 3 Serendib Efreet and you couldn't kill it. This might be my inexperience talking but I never felt I was actually in control of anything. You race your engine with your opponent's and eventually someone wins.

I've played the cube three times now, and I'm not sure I agree with there being a low amount of removal? I seem to be able to pick up at least 5-6 removal pieces as long as I look for them. I have seen the tendency for games to snowball really fast though, so it's probably not the most interactive cube. Somehow the cube made me feel like champion of lambholt is a really unfair and boring card to play against? And really that card should just be, fine.

Ok I just lost against an incredibly masturabtory UW blink deck. There really is just too much durdling in this cube and way way to little interaction. It's a shame cus I really like playing on MTGA.

The best part of the last cube they had on arena was the fact that it had playable control decks to beat all of the nonsense midrange cards from 2019 and 2020. The biggest problem with that cube was that it didn't have enough interaction. Removing interaction is a surefire way to sink an environment with actual bomb cards.

WOTC just needs to step up their cube game in general.

I decided to check the cube again and it just doesn't work. It has some good stuff in it, but it's incredibly unpolished. I lost a game with 12 creatures on the board of size 3 and more because I couldn't attack and my opponent had gained more than 40 life. That just shouldn't happen. Had draws been a bit different, it would have been similar but in the opposite way: My opponent would have lost on the spot because I got Divine Visitation running and kept making several Serra Angels per turn. Another game, my opponent got Ruin Crab and I lost because my anti-enchantment cards couldn't do anything and my 4/3 creatures didn't get through.

There's just a bunch of stuff in the cube that wins the game on its own because you have all the time in the world for them to take over the game:

I think any cube where these cards are not only good but "Game-ruinning bullshit" has fundamental problems.Most notably, gaining tempo seems impossible. Destroying a block in exchange of damage is not worth it. You need that spell for snowballing threats, the damage is often too small and chances are they'll regain it back with the horde of lifegain and token tacked to everything.

It seems to me that, when building the cube, they just added cards to support archetypes without measuring their impact on the rest of the cube. You have a lot of parasitism, weak cards that have obviously been chosen because they gain life or create tokens or mill and complete traps. It reminds me of playing my cube and realizing I had so many cards that create tokens that it was impossible for my creatures to attack in a meaningful manner. In my mind, I was just supporting "token strategies" and did not understand that just "adding support" doesn't make a cube better.

Thought I'd write a report on how many drafts in this format went. It's not a great format, has glaring balance issues and I don't think it really achieves anything close to what the name suggests, but... it was fun, it was interesting, and it was enlightening.

Thanks to untapped.gg I have the lists saved and thanks to regex101.com I just had to write this to extract them from MTGA's format:

Matcher: "([0-9]+) ([a-zA-Z ',\/-]+) \([A-Z0-9]+\) [0-9]+"
Substitution: "$1 $2"

With that out of the way, the decks:

Draft #1

BG

My first draft of the format, in which I jumped after watching a couple of matches on Twitch. Assuming it was durdly, slow, and synergy oriented, I drafted good green cards plus black cards because the color looked more or less open. The deck was garbage and I went 1-3.

Player lesson: Even when a color looks open, it might be just that no one wants the cards.

Cube design lesson: Don't hate out your own archetype. Though this is a synergy cube, and BG is supposed to be graveyard stuff, there is so much graveyard hate that the archetype is quite bad. In the course of my drafts, I didn't seen it work even once.

Draft #2

In draft #1 I got my ass kicked by two Selesnya lifegain/counters/tokens/goodstuff and a Boros aggro deck, so I start to respect white more.

WB Lifegain

Despite the clunkiest curve of all time, this went pretty well. 5-3 for a second draft isn't too shabby, though I played mainly against blue decks that were trying to mill me and not against any of the scary Selesnya or Boros.

The deck's actually super mediocre until you drop Heliod, Sun-Crowned, which is one of the best cards in the cube. The rest was really unremarkable, and the rest was just filler to waste time or randomly win against mana screw and life gain enablers.

Player lesson: Play good cards. This is a synergy cube, but you need to pick the good synergy cards, not the bad ones.

Cube design lesson: OP cards might not ruin individual games, but they might ruin the cube at a macro level. Heliod cares about the context - you need a lifelinker or a lot of mana to break it, and building around it is rewarded. But because you play with it or against it so often, and the game always warps around its presence, it removes a lot of variety from the format and most synergies can't compare and simply cannot keep up. Synergy can be oppressive too, and synergy with itself feels cheap.

Draft #3

So now I know that synergy is king in this cube, and it's on the slower side. I've read about the Golos Field deck being absurd, and I pick Golos early, then Awakened Amalgam, find Field in pack 2, so I give it a try:

WUBRG Golos Field

Admittedly I'm terrible at drafting 5c anything, and I picked so many lands that I was short on playables.

Golos was of course the star, though despite the low amount of hard removal in the cube, it got bounced or killed pretty often. Even when winning, I was always close to milling myself by the time I assembled lethal, and the mana base was so... tapped that I one or two turns behind every game.
I had a minor counters theme but it never felt powerful because the rest was so bad. I had plenty of proliferate, but not many cards that put counters. In reality, what won the games I won wasn't the counters. It was Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants, the attackable Citadel Siege that I could barely cast. Golos + Field of the Dead in a deck built around them was not more powerful than a planeswalker.

I had a 2-3 run with this deck and was glad to leave it behind.

Player lesson: Tapped duals suck nowadays.

Cube design lesson: Tapped duals actually punish greedy manabases.

Cube design lesson: Threats above your power band steal the show from synergy.

Draft #4

Having seen Selesnya in action before, I saw it open this time and thought I had a real shot at a 7-x. I picked all those broken tokens and counters cards and felt like a drafting genius.

WG Tokens

I went 3-3. The best thing that happened for me was that in the last game, at 3-2, I played another Selesnya deck which was basically mine, except it was good, and I saw the synergy+power pieces I was missing: Conclave Mentor, Song of Freyalise. It felt really bad to lose to a deck that was simply a better version of mine.

The issue with this deck is that although it has nice scaling, the scaling is very slow. It has very powerful cards like Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Luminous Broodmoth, but it goes deep on tokens and the payoffs are just Trostani Discordant and Path of Discovery. Luminous Broodmoth, Helm of the Host, Nessian Hornbeetle and Mouth /// Feed don't really belong with a lot of tokens. The other theme, counters, is powerful when it works, but because it's half of the deck, the deck plays a lot worse than you'd think by looking at the list. It works well when you draw the half that's about tokens OR the half about counters, but when you draw equal proportions of both it's disappointing.

Player lesson: identify whether archetypes are scarce in payoffs or enablers. Prioritize the scarce resource.

Cube design lesson: insular themes and narrow cards cause railroading if there is one theme per color pair. If there are multiples themes, they look even worse. My problem in the draft was that I couldn't get enough WG Tokens payoffs or WG Counters enablers. My late picks were WG Auras and white lifegain cards, and none really seemed playable outside their own archetypes.

Cube design lesson: "crossing pods" leads to serious revelations about the archetypes, for bad or for good.

---------------------------------

Though the cube is now gone, I'm not done - I played 11 drafts in this format and though this posts coves the first 4, I'll write two more posts about the other 7.

Draft #5

One thing that gives me the most insight into a format is drafting aggro. It's also something I'm often successful with, for some reason. Maybe it's a good strategy, often underdrafted on formats in which people are just trying to do broken things. Maybe I'm actually better at it than at other macro and micro archetypes. I'm not sure. Anyway, in this format, I've seen tons of durdly decks, I've had 130+ life, and I noticed that even if I don't do much until turn 4, I often get away with it. What if I don't extend this courtesy to my opponents? I don't remember what I picked early, but the deck definitely seemed open in P1 and continued wide open through the draft.

WR Aggro-Control

And with this I got my first 7-1! I always kept the opponent on their back foot, and this really disrupted everyone's development and avoided their multi-turn scaling plans. They needed to block with their fliers, with their Luminarch Aspirants, and got blown out by Integrity // Intervention and Shivan Fire a lot. Besides the durdling, this deck preyed on the fact that the only board wipes in the format are Sweltering Suns (which I had to play around), Star of Extinction and Witch's Vengeance (which were both bad against me).

I had some strong cards, too. Luminarch Aspirant, Phoenix of Ash, Resplendent Angel, Hazoret the Fervent, Archon of Sun's Grace are all very strong and pressure the opponent a lot, easily winning games when they had to spend removal on your Fearless Fledglings. On the other hand, Scorch Spitter, Loyal Pegasus, Earthshaker Khenra and Viashino Pyromancer are just necessary evils I had to run, and in these games I had to get creative not to let them fall into irrelevance. 2/1 is a bad P/T in a format with lots of /3s and 1/1 tokens. Regardless, I believed I played this deck particularly tight, and it's more of a 6-3 deck.

The general strategy of the deck was not just to dump the hand on the table, but to remove blockers and really play a tempo game, always maintaining pressure.

Burn Bright was the best card of the deck, and I felt like I couldn't lose with it in my hand. The low amount of removal and wraths pushes its value up a lot.

Player lesson: Going under is the best option in some seats.

Cube design lesson: Boros can be "aggro-control" too, with combat tricks and cheap removal.

Cube design lesson: 2/1 is not 2/2.

Draft #6

During the draft, I was super undecided between UR Spells and WU Fliers, couldn't seem to get enough pieces for either, and ended up having to play this incohesive contraption.

WUr Lifegain/Fliers

I ended up picking only 7 fliers, out of which I played 6. White had more in lifegain than in fliers, really. Again I got a deck split between two themes, and got a mediocre 3-3 record with it. Heliod, Sun-Crowned was not particularly good here, but was still the best card and the only one that allowed me to play a longer game.

It felt bad to have to play Hushbringer and shut down my own Soul Warden and Perilous Myr.

Player lesson: Don't wait for the pack 3 to commit to two colors if you haven't picked much fixing.

Cube design lesson: Heliod's still broken, I guess.

Draft #7

Encouraged by my 7-1 run with Boros Aggro-Control, I saw Boros open again and proceeded to draft it again. No mad science, just seeking wins now.

WR Aggro

I was particularly tired in this evening, and I player rather badly and made some big mistakes like going into combat before discarding to 1 for Hazoret the Fervent, miscounting lethal, and not realizing Grim Lavamancer can take down a 4/4 if I block it with a 2/2. Still, the deck was good enough to get a 3-3 record.

It's interesting how small an intersection WR Aggro #7 has with WR Aggro-Control #5: only five cards. Goblin Banneret, Earthshaker Khenra, Viashino Pyromancer, Resplendent Angel, Hazoret the Fervent. This was a weaker deck, particularly because it lacked the removal that gave #5 an aggro-control feeling. Without this removal, it got stonewalled quickly and had to fall back to Heroic Reinforcements, Pride of Conquerors (which underperformed) and Castle Embereth to set up wide kills that break through beefy blockers.

Player lesson: Adjust your expectations when you're tired. Maybe go watch TV instead of playing a complicated game.

Cube design lesson: Cards might look good in archetypes in theory, but you'll only know when you try them. I thought Pride of Conquerors[/b] was going to be good like

Draft #9

Not believing anymore that aggro is the best deck of the format, I go back to the midrange/draft good cards plan, now with a better grasp on what are the best cards of the format.

RG Aggro-Midrange Superfriends

I watched Deathsie's stream and he kept saying red was ok but not the best color, but then he drafted an RG Midrange and crushed with Rampant Smasher, simply because it's a 5/5 for 4 when people are still setting up. I don't think he had it in that draft, but he kept talking about how Tibalt, Rakish Instigator is one of the best red cards in the cube. I couldn't see how, so I checked it for myself.

This deck is as solid as it gets, and simply playing a consistent midrange plan yielded a 7-1 record. I had to cut Thrashing Brontodon and Precision Bolt to smooth out my curve, and was rewarded for that. The 2-drops ate removal and created board pressure so that I could play my planeswalkers and my top ends on the offense. This deck was fast in the early game, and though it didn't have the best scaling, it kept attacking relentlessly and the opponents had to keep making bad blocks to stabilize.

I had a particularly memorable game in which I was very far behind against a lifegain deck doing nuts stuff with Heliod and lifelinkers, but slowly crawled back with Klothys, God of Destiny draining two life every turn, playing the synergy between Tibalt, Rakish Instigator and Jaya, Venerated Firemage, brokering my planeswalkers' lives with my own and chump blocking to avoid lethal by one of two life for multiple turns in a row, treading the edge of 7 devotion to have a ground blocker when I really needed it, and closing out with a big Banefire for exact lethal. The game was a wild ride and my best played one in all the drafts.

That was sort of an outlier though. Mostly, I just played big things and attacked with them.

Player lesson: There's no shame in playing midrange good-stuff.

Cube design lesson: WAR planeswalkers can be good and not feel oppressing at the same time. Tibalt was actually quite good every time, sometimes because it stopped the lifelink deck from growing their Healer's Hawk, other times simply because it created tokens that shot down utility creatures. It's hard to appreciate how it's good without a game to put it in context, but it was always good. Being one of the best was true, but more of a function of red not having many bombs and lifegain being so out of control. Jaya, Venerated Firemage was super cool to play, and this draft made me consider it for my cube. I like the Torbran, Thane of Red Fell effect, but the dwarf is ridiculously strong. Jaya is much more in the power level I'm working with.

Draft #10

In the last day of the Tinkerer's Cube, I wanted to do something I had not done yet. So I more or less forced control.

I got a lot of blue and red spells, so I thought I was going to play an amazing version of the deck, but as the packs were passed, I realized I had very few wincons. Pack 3, I see Lochmere Serpent and take it, though it's too late to pick black fixing. I decide I don't have enough nonbasics to have a decent splash and just play UR spells for the first two games, and I'm at 2-1. However, I had serious issues in all games with closing it out before it got out of control. I won one by attacking with a Ptemander carrying Shadowspear and another by getting lucky opponent had zero removal for Sprite Dragon. I decide this deck can't be competitive without a finisher, and add three swamps to splash Lochmere Serpent.

URb Control

Of course, in both games I draw my 3 Swamps and can't cast my spells and I get steamrolled and end 2-3. The last game I even manage to get out my serpent, but it gets exiled immediately after eating a blocker.

I made sure to try Double Vision because I read on Reddit it was one of the best cards in the cube.

Player lesson: Don't listen to Reddit. Do listen to good streamers.

Player lesson: Don't fuck up your mana.

Player lesson: Not all decks can 7-x, take your 3-3 and move on.

Cube design lesson: Good threats vs bad answers = bad control.

Draft #11

For my last draft, I just wanted to finish with a decent run.

UGr Midrange

It doesn't look like much, but a lot of the cards here are great in the context of the cube. Without much removal (particularly removal that actually removes the creatures from the battlefield) Dragonmaster Outcast, Oracle of Mul Daya and The First Iroan Games are straight up bombs. Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar is the best green finisher (reach is super relevant, and you tend to have a lot of lands and time). 3 damage is a good place for burn spells (Ral's Outburst, Fateful End). Unsummon is almost a Doom Blade because big creatures are made, not cast. Bubble Snare, Essence Scatter and Waterknot are pretty good removal. The fixing is top notch, so I didn't have color issues like in other certain drafts. Shadowspear is a race winner, and Primal Empathy and Merfolk Skydiver were great in the long game.

The deck doesn't scale much, but again plays a solid good-studd plan: deploy threats, remove the opponents' apply pressure, get value. I went 7-2 with it and it felt pretty good to pilot and was decision-intensive. A fine way to finish my runs.

Player lesson: Each format has its own learning curve, but most are about identifying the good cards so you go into the colors where people are passing them.

Cube design lesson: There is player satisfaction in format mastery.

Quirks of the Cube

Focused on midrange threats

The threats' power was low on the cheap end (1 and 2 drops), high on the middle (3 an 4 drops) and low again on the top end (5+ drops). This creates an environment in which you have time to setup your synergies, but once the ball gets rolling, the board grow scarily fast. This is so pronunced that it seems intentional.

Low powered removal and counterspells

Cubes often have a lot of removal, and this one has an amount of removal more similar to a modern limited environment. More than that, removal is significantly weaker and favors creatures that only need their static abilities. That's actually a good decision: Pacifism only partially shuts down Setessan Champion, so the Enchantments deck isn't punished too harshly for running creature engines. Red is the best color to destroy the engines by far, but the burn spells almost all deal 2 and 3 damage, so larger creatures like Trostani Discordant, Witch of the Moors and Archon of Sun's Grace are quite resilient.

The counterspells are pretty bad, and apart from Essence Scatter and an aggressively cycled Censor, I didn't find them worth playing. Remember the best threats are 3 mana, so 3 mana counterspells don't match well and on the draw they are terrible. Bounce is really good, though - it breaks up combos and removes counters and auras.

Medium synergy cube, after all

This was built as a synergy cube, and it only partially succeeds in the endeavor. Some archetypes are very strong, but other archetypes are just bad. I think decks are around 50/50 in terms of good-stuff decks vs synergy decks.

Slow environment

Aggro is weak, so you have time to setup, and the best cards draw their power from growing or providing value turn by turn. This leads to a handful of incredibly long games, though on average they were not that long: around 9 minutes.

Macro archetypes

There are therefore two styles of decks:
- Aggro-midrange, which try to go under the opponent, applying pressure to prevent them to setup their scaling.
- Synergy-midrange, which tries to develop its scaling plan and grow faster than the opponent, involving one or more micro-archetypes.

I'm not sure the meta would evolve beyond that given enough time, and I had a lot more success with the aggro-midrange decks than with the synergy-midrange ones because everyone was so focused on the latter, which are less consistent.

Actual aggro is weak because the low power cheap threats do not match up well against the high power medium cost threats. Control is also bad, first because of the lack of board wipes, second because all synergies involve running lots of creatures, third because finishers were weak. This last feature also makes ramp bad. Why cast Mind Stone to ramp into Sifter Wurm if you can go Scavenging Ooze into Rishkar, Peema Renegade instead? Many good 4-5 mana cards are a setup for scaling rather than a threat in themselves, like Renata, Called to the Hunt and Ridgescale Tusker. Other colors have the same effect, blue top ends at Shipwreck Dowser and Syr Elenora, the Discerning. Red at Lava Serpent and Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (which I didn't see attack even once).

Micro archetypes

WG Counters: Great. Almost half the green cards add or care about +1/+1 counters, and they are pretty strong, so this is the foundation of the cube's metagame. White is the second color with most +1/+1 counters enablers and has has a couple of payoffs, but payoffs matters little in this archetype, actually. The counters are the payoffs themselves. The Ozolith and Grateful Apparition are just icing when you're playing Luminarch Ascendant, Mikaeus the Lunarch, Voracious Hydra, and The First Iroan Games.

WG Tokens: Good. I think this may have been intended as WR Tokens, but I'm not playing Goblin Rally, I'm playing Champion of Lambholt. A lot of the payoffs involve putting counters on all your creatures, so this sort of blends together with WG Counters. Trostani Discordant, Divine Visitation and Rhys the Redeemed are some of the payoffs for this deck that don't involve counters, but it has a lot more enablers.

WB Lifegain: Good. Witch of the Moors is the best payoff. Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose is good too, but that's about it for black payoffs. The best reason to play this deck is Heliod, Sun-Crowned, but white gets other good ones: Ajani's Pridemate, Resplandent Angel, Twinblade Paladin. The gold signposts are sweet: Indulging Patrician and Regal Bloodlord. Half the white and half the black cards involve lifegain, so if you draft WB, your deck will at least to some extent be a lifegain deck.

Wx Lifegain: Average. Half the white cards gain life, so sometimes you just draft the white lifegain deck with another color. This deck is of course less synergistic than WB, but in some seats you first pick Heliod, and black is cut out, so you draft blue and put your counters on Shacklegeist or something.

WUB Fliers: Bad to average. There are four good reasons to play WUB Fliers: Skycat Sovereign, Empyrean Eagle, scarce removal, and green. Green doesn't have much reach, which makes Kraul Harpooner and Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar two of the best green cards. Despite these environmental tailwinds, there are many issues with the WUB Fliers archetype: first, a lot of fliers do not go in the same deck. Second, a lot of fliers are bad, particularly the blue ones. Third, if you go WB Fliers, you're really going into WB Lifelink with a fliers subtheme and ignoring the payoffs. Good fliers like Nighthawk Scavenger and Resplendent Angel are at a premium in this format, but the power level of fliers is pretty low.

UR Spells: Bad to average. There are plenty of cards that care about spells in blue and red, but most payoffs are slow to generate value and get outscaled easily by green and white synergies. The best payoffs are the gold cards: Crackling Drake, Experimental Overload and Ral, Storm Conduit, and the deck's merit is that it can disrupt the opponent easily, but it's awful at closing the game. I don't think it's generally worth going deep into this archetype, best to just play the good spells. Note this deck is extremely insular from other colors because white, black and green are too busy casting enchantments, they have very few instants and sorceries, so all payoffs are effectively gold.

WGB Enchantments: Bad. Yeah, I know. Another WG archetype. There are a ton of enchantments, but the problem is the payoffs don't align very well. Kor Spiritdancer, All that Glitters and Ancestral Mask are scary but it's a fragile game plan. Archon of Sun's Grace is very strong, but too strong - all white decks want it. Sigil of the Empty Throne is probably ok, but I've never seen it played. Setessan Champion is pretty good. There are ~6 others but they aren't very good. Black has a high density of enchantments and can be in this deck too, but Aphemia, the Cacophony is the only payoff maybe worth using, so black feel inferior. What this archetype really does is being a background theme for the cube, the high enchantment density mattering here and there, and making Reclamation Sage really good. The aura-based removal in white, blue and black make non-combat abilities like Dragonmaster Outcast hard to remove and self-bounce effects and sacrifice enablers a bit better.

UB Mill: Bad. I did lose to an actual mill deck once, but the other few times I was milled it was just Patient Rebuilding by itself. Blue dedicated a bunch of slots to these, and it's both a poisonous and suboptimal deck.

BR Sacrifice: Bad. I heard/read that it was good, but I didn't really run into any decks that seemed very powerful, then I found out that the cube list is radically different from the September one, and I was hearing about that other list. There aren't many reasons to play BR Sacrifice, apart from Priest of the Forgotten Gods and Judith, the Scourge Diva. The sacrifice fodder is bad, you don't want to drop Deathbloom Thallid when your opponent goes Imperious Perfect or Aerial Responder, and these are pretty middling cards. This gets outscaled easily and can't compete with good stuff.

BG Graveyard: Unplayable. There are a lot of good cards that hate the graveyard deck, and I'm not even sure it'd be good if they weren't there - I don't see much in the way of payoffs. There's a bunch of reanimation, but threats need time on the field to accumulate counters, and the top ends are scarce and bad. Escape is a relevant mechanic, but it doesn't interact well with itself - there's diminishing returns in running multiple escape cards. The enablers are very questionable, like Venomous Hierophant and Carrion Grub. Plus, there is a lot of random mill and games go long, so milling yourself isn't a great start for a slow deck.

WR Wide: I think it was supposed to be wide aggro/tokens, but green's better at tokens and I conside wide aggro to be a macroarchetype.

UG ?: After 73 games and looking at the list, I honestly have no idea if there was supposed to be a synergy archetype here. Not a bad color combination for good stuff, though. The gold cards tell me this is supposed to be counters, but the blue section disagrees.

RG ?: Because I see Irencrag Feat and Sarkhan's Unsealing, maybe there was supposed to be a ramp deck here? There isn't, but it's a great combination for good stuff.

Verdict

The Jan/2021 version of the Tinkerer's Cube is a very strange, very particular cube. The archetypes are completely unbalanced, and the fact that half of them are very bad detracts a lot of the allure from the cube. The drafting part did not feel good, because I got rewarded for picking good stuff and punished for tinkering with combos. There were a ton of trap archetypes, and your first drafts, going in blind, are bound to be miserable. For a cube that's going to be played by so many people, I'm disappointed it was so crude and confusing until you got a few drafts in and understood the format.

The actual gameplay, though, was fun to me - much more fun than retail limited. The large boards, nice balance between tempo and card advantage, and plentiful recursion, high agency, and a slow environment made me feel like I earned most of my victories and deserved most of my defeats. Not very often I lost and felt it was bound to happen. There was always some play I could have done that might have won me a game. Thinking a couple of turns ahead and predicting how boards would scale and how life totals would evolve in the next turns was actually necessary, and combat was fun and interactive.