General Tips on designing synergy cubes from the pros?

I'm commencing work shortly on a synergy-focused custom cube I'm designing, and I really want to nail the tight-gameplay synergy focused feeling a lot of Riptide cubes seem to nail - probably at about a Historic/Pioneer cube power level? But I'm at a bit of an impasse as to where to start, even if I feel pretty confident with my customs and my cube structure the synergy aspect isn't my strong suit - so I figured, why not ask here?

What are the big tips y'all would give for designing tightly-interlocking/interplaying synergy cubes? Specifically looking for advice in terms of how to set up deck archetypes and how to help decks play into multiple strategies as to not feel overly same-y/single lane-y.

i am probably the worst possible person on these forums to answer this question… but i can at least dump a few resources on you that may be helpful.
1. i’m sure you’ve already heard about whoever this fella Caleb Gannon is. i saw a couple of decklists from his MTGO synergy cube and scoffed “where’s the JUND?!?”
…but many people have given the cube rave reviews and he’s been on several podcasts, youtubes, toktiks, etc to talk about his design process and how he arrived at the list. some of that content is sure to contain nuggets of true principles that can be applied to unpowered synergy environments like the one you describe.

2. the NEO retail draft format was an all-timer as far as i’m concerned and very brilliantly handled the problem we often face when we try to craft an environment with multiple critical-mass archetypes. (in the case of this format, “artifacts” and “enchantments” being the main 2.) i am not aware of any content that specifically breaks down how the format was designed, but i would point you to Sam Black’s podcast on Drafting Archetypes where he explores most/all of the guild pair archetypes as well as the coolest deck in any format, 5c value pile, and how to successfully draft them. will hopefully get you thinking at the very least and you may be able to reverse engineer some of his drafter information into useful architect information.

3. last but not least, and sorry to pick a favorite, but whenever i hear “synergy cube” and “riptide” i go straight to DBS’ Mox Cube. again it’s clearly a powered environment but is totally combo/disruption oriented and creates a plethora of wild synergies that i’ve always found to be absolutely fascinating. there are some other strong ultra-synergy cubes on the cube blogs, such as Inscho’s Graveyard Combo Cube, that could provide further inspiration.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Whew, I was getting worried blacksmithy hadn't brought up Inscho's cube, but we got there in the 9th inning :). That cube a masterwork of maintaining high levels of synergy despite format restrictions and conflicting design desires (high power pursuit).

My first tip on pursuing synergy above all else is you have to drop any pursuit of the "best" cards for a slot,power-level-wise, as one might do in MTGS etc. Synergy requires cooperation above all else, and begins to fray quickly when you start introducing cards that are at an inappropriate power level. Your format needs to be such that there aren't one- or few- card strategies that a player can ditch their synergy plan to follow effort-free.

This often makes planeswalkers a hard sell into strict synergy formats. Planeswalkers that are included need to value a deckplan far above being a beating on their own. Daretti, Scrap Savant is the perfect example of a good PW for this.

This also makes midrange decks something you have to tread lightly around, because it can be easy to end up with midrange strategies that just stack deck with fatties and run with that.

As to your question regarding rails, "design archetypes in layers" (where the base layer is very basic concepts of the archetype, and then additional layers make sure to focus on interactions rather than just "more of the basic plan"), and "don't design every archetype as a 2-color pair" are my goto strategies for that.

A few comments that help make synergy cubes a success IMO:

1. Have the synergy pieces be the most powerful cards if possible. If you can entice your drafters to pick your build arounds because they stand out of a pack that is perfect. This might mean omitting a few favourites that are too powerful.

2. Have archetype overlap. If each archetype is isolated it quickly becomes a pick your lane and stay there draft. Not very dynamic…
Find as many glue cards as possible that play well at your power level and that work in multiple decks.

3. Be deliberate in your inclusions. Every cube needs nuts and bolts cards, but make sure you get the most bang out of your buck on these. As an example, I’ve slowly moved away from enchantment removal in White in favor of more creatures or instant/sorceries as nothing cares about enchantments in my cube.

4. Broad vs guild archetypes. This is more of a personal taste, but I like having fewer archetypes that are represented in more colors. This can create some whacky decks that wouldn’t have been possible without the broad support (kind of like
Magecraft in all colours in Strixhaven).

5. Related to point 4, adjust your fixing to your goals. If archetypes are meant to be 2 colors, maybe you don’t need stuff like Triomes as much compared to broader themed cubes.

That’s all I have for now, might edit if something else pops up! Good luck with your project.

1) I want to stress the importance of glue cards or more general, cards that go into multiple decks (that's also Incinerate). As Nanonox said, you want to avoid drafting on rails. I have no data here but my gut feeling, and I'd say you want less than 5% of your cards only go into a single deck.

2) Try to mostly avoid cards that can win the gane on their own. By that I don't mean you should ban every blue 6-drop fattie with flying, but make sure that just getting to hardcast card XY isn't a plan that beats your synergistic decks.

3) Remember to leave something to your drafters. When it feels like every deck that a good drafter comes up with is exactly what you've planned, that also gets boring. One reason I'm completely off of pair archetypes. I like archetypes that either split in ~4 colors or even better, pivot archetypes. If you have 70-80% of the support for your +1/+1 counters decks in green, you'll get more versions of it and those cards go into more different decks (any Gx combos instead of just e.g. GW).

But I'm at a bit of an impasse as to where to start
In some ways, that's one of the easier parts, it just requires being opinionated. Designing a cube is a lot like designing a game. What's one of your best tools when doing that? Design goals. They give you direction for your decisions and give you a metric to judge your product by. "Synergy-focused cube" is a fairly broad label, and you probably have some opinions on how you want your cube to play out, both within that label and outside of it. Do you want more grindy games dictated by compounding decisions or more explosive games with decisive moments? Maybe both? Do you want your decks to be pervasively synergistic such that they need a deep pool of cards to draft from, or do you want your synergies to be smaller modules that you can plug into bigger supportive contexts, or maybe even with each other to make weird chimera decks? Are there any styles of archetypes you absolutely want to feature, like blink, storm and madness? If so, you might have the groundwork for your cube already.

I think the easiest way to ensure that your cube has these interwoven layers of synergy is to start out with 2-3 simple concepts you think are cool (cards, keywords, gameplay patterns), consider how to make those function together cohesively to form your core, and then build upon and explore aspects of that, which will likely give you a set of mechanics that play well together. You can see an example of this with Jason carving out the mechanics for his Domain cube.

I'm a long-time lurker and this seemed like a topic worth making an account for.

I should start by acknowledging that I'm not an expert compared to a number of the folks on this board and that, at this point, I spend a lot more time theory crafting and designing cubes than actually testing and playing them. That being said, over the past few years, I've been working on designing a synergy-based environment (many thanks to the posters here who I've learned from). It's been a lot of work, but I finally sleeved everything up this weekend. Here's the list: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/10at

In terms of design philosophy, I have a lot of the same sentiments as other posters, but there are some other things that I want to highlight:

- Avoid over-supporting archetypes - The first iteration of this cube had far fewer archetypes and each of them was heavily supported. This led to the classic "drafting on wheels" scenario. It was so bad that sometimes two drafters sitting beside each other would be in the same archetype (e.g., +1/+1 counters), but would still feel like they were getting everything they wanted.

In my current iteration of my list, I've tried to cut back on supporting full blown decks / archetypes, and instead tried to only include a couple payoffs for each. A side effect of this is that there are a lot of different archetypes to be explored and I'm hoping they'll be merged together in creative ways. I'm hoping that rather than having people say "check out my sweet artifact deck" they'll end up saying "I never expected to end up in an artifact, dragon, madness deck".

- Have cards be universally playable - Rather than supporting narrow cards that only go in one deck, but are busted there, I've tried to include cards that go into a bunch of decks, but really shine when brought together. A card like Rampage of Valkyries is a decent stand-alone card in my environment, but when you start to add some other angels to your deck, it really gets going. At the same time, there are a bunch of different reasons a drafter may prioritize Rampage of Valkyries (e.g., if they already have an Archon of Sun's Grace and they want the constellation trigger, they have a Tergrid so they want to make their opponent sac creatures, they have an Esika's Chariot and want to populate more tokens, they have a Kor Skyfisher and they want bounce targets, etc.)

There are also a couple of ways to remove the risk of having synergy pieces be dead cards. One is having payoffs that combo with themselves. Something like Basri's Lieutenant is great because it both places a +1/+1 counter and benefits from having +1/+1 counters lying around. Playing a +1/+1 counter payoff like Lieutenant instead of one like Hardened Scales removes a lot of risk, because it's always going to do something. A second approach is looking for synergies that don't require very much special attention to benefit from. An example of this would be the draw trigger on Nadir Kraken. Players are going to draw a card every turn no matter what, but the card gets way better when you throw cantrips in the mix. A similar example is something like the "play your second card this turn" archetype from Kaldheim. In theory, every deck should have low drops that allow them to play multiple cards a turn, but the ability is way stronger than built around.

- Single card archetypes are great - I love cards like Approach of the Second Sun, Aetherfux Reservoir, Experimental Frenzy and Demonic Pact, because they're super compact to include in your list (just one card) and they can lead drafters to approach their draft in a totally different way. I'm particularly fond of something like Aetherflux Reservoir, since it's so open ended. Do I have any idea how people are going to storm off? No. Do I even know if it will ever happen? Also no. Do I know that my drafters and I will try to make it happen? Definitely yes!

- One thing I'm worried about in my list - My list is hyper-curated. I've spent wayyyyyy too much time thinking about how cards interact, to try to strike the perfect balance. My fear is that I've ended up with a list that limits the creativity of my drafters, because I've already pre-planned everything that I want to enable. This would be too bad since some of the best moments in my original cube (a Legacy list more in the MTGS vein) came when players built decks in completely unexpected ways. For example, the most unexpected deck someone's built was "mill wheel", where the drafter combined Wheel of Fortune and Memory Jar with Regrowth effects to mill the opponent out. The deck was terrible, but it was a blast for the player to draft and pilot. I hope my new list still has moments like this.

Okay, this is enough of an essay for one day. I'm not sure how often I'll post (job + baby is a lot), but I'll definitely keep lurking!

I feel obliged to link this great resource: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/archetype-shapes.2022/
Also this school of thinking is great inspiration: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/decks-not-cards-synergy-and-power-design.1741/

A useful design tool for me is to do multiple sketches of what an ideal deck could look like for a given archetype (e.g. madness, mill, +1/+1 counters, ..) and work backwards from there. Try to identify the cards that make out the core and add these to the cube. Drop the cards you consider poisonous.
I use a guideline suggested by The Command Zone where they say that a deck already feels thematic when around 50% of the cards are "on theme". (e.g. not every creature needs to be a Vampire to feel like you're playing a "Vampire" deck.)

Also:
- Single card archetypes are great
:swagg:

I wish I had a personal manifesto to share, but my thoughts are not that organized. However, I've established some quick personal guidelines in the 5+ years I've been tinkering with the GCC (some of which will be irrelevant when using customs):

- Establish a handful of broad themes that will set the stage for your environment. Each theme should be supported by 3-4 (ideally 4) of the 5 colors. Each theme should intersect positively with the other themes. When you introduce a theme that appeals to less colors or doesn't overlap with your other themes, you limit the density of your synergy network.

Copied from a post I made a couple years ago:
  • Rather than focusing in terms of archetypes strictly, I'm thinking about the prevalent themes I want to support, how they intersect, and how that intersection can manifest in all theaters of play: Say I identify that my graveyard cube has discard, dredge, sacrifice, land, and artifact themes present....How does each theme intersect with the others?....How does dredge intersect with land strategies? Now how does that intersection function within an aggro context or a combo context or a control context, etc? How many ways can I take advantage of the dynamics of this intersection?
- Be mindful of the fragility and rate of your synergies, and tailor your format's disruption, curve, and acceleration to allow those synergies to prosper.

- Lower your power band so that you can choose cards that maximize opportunities for synergy: Every card can be an opportunity for synergy intersection. You can get granular: from your lands to your support spells. Radical Idea over Think Twice, Miscalculation over Mana Leak, etc.

- The sum should be greater than the parts. Narrow your power band, avoid singular bombs and auto-picks. While I like to allow space for "goodstuff" decks to be competitive, well-designed synergy decks should be the strongest decks in your environment.

- Identify your weakest guilds, and dial down the cube's power level to the point that those guilds become as flavorful, interesting, and successful as the rest. While I begin thinking broadly, I start with my guilds when I'm searching for weak spots and breaks in the synergy network. For instance, Selesnya has been the governor of the GCC's power level for years. A poorly considered Selesnya section impacts the dynamics of Abzan, Bant, and Naya....turning a blind eye to a weak guild feels like hamstringing nearly a third of your cube. and severely limits your drafter's ability to pivot into and out of certain colors combinations.

This isn't a strict order of operations, as you have to continually check back on your initial goals for your environment as you negotiate between what you want and what your pool of cards require. As you dial things in towards a balanced environment, you may find that the architecture you began with necessitates that the format diverges from your initial goals....do you change your goals or do you change your architecture? It's a messy frustrating process. Just keep in mind that no matter how fussy you get over your list, your drafters are probably going to have a good time, and (for me) that's the most important thing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I had a personal manifesto to share, but my thoughts are not that organized. However, I've established some quick personal guidelines in the 5+ years I've been tinkering with the GCC (some of which will be irrelevant when using customs):

- Establish a handful of broad themes that will set the stage for your environment. Each theme should be supported by 3-4 (ideally 4) of the 5 colors. Each theme should intersect positively with the other themes. When you introduce a theme that appeals to less colors or doesn't overlap with your other themes, you limit the density of your synergy network.

Copied from a post I made a couple years ago:
  • Rather than focusing in terms of archetypes strictly, I'm thinking about the prevalent themes I want to support, how they intersect, and how that intersection can manifest in all theaters of play: Say I identify that my graveyard cube has discard, dredge, sacrifice, land, and artifact themes present....How does each theme intersect with the others?....How does dredge intersect with land strategies? Now how does that intersection function within an aggro context or a combo context or a control context, etc? How many ways can I take advantage of the dynamics of this intersection?
- Be mindful of the fragility and rate of your synergies, and tailor your format's disruption, curve, and acceleration to allow those synergies to prosper.

- Lower your power band so that you can choose cards that maximize opportunities for synergy: Every card can be an opportunity for synergy intersection. You can get granular: from your lands to your support spells. Radical Idea over Think Twice, Miscalculation over Mana Leak, etc.

- The sum should be greater than the parts. Narrow your power band, avoid singular bombs and auto-picks. While I like to allow space for "goodstuff" decks to be competitive, well-designed synergy decks should be the strongest decks in your environment.

- Identify your weakest guilds, and dial down the cube's power level to the point that those guilds become as flavorful, interesting, and successful as the rest. While I begin thinking broadly, I start with my guilds when I'm searching for weak spots and breaks in the synergy network. For instance, Selesnya has been the governor of the GCC's power level for years. A poorly considered Selesnya section impacts the dynamics of Abzan, Bant, and Naya....turning a blind eye to a weak guild feels like hamstringing nearly a third of your cube. and severely limits your drafter's ability to pivot into and out of certain colors combinations.

This isn't a strict order of operations, as you have to continually check back on your initial goals for your environment as you negotiate between what you want and what your pool of cards require. As you dial things in towards a balanced environment, you may find that the architecture you began with necessitates that the format diverges from your initial goals....do you change your goals or do you change your architecture? It's a messy frustrating process. Just keep in mind that no matter how fussy you get over your list, your drafters are probably going to have a good time, and (for me) that's the most important thing.

This is the post (so far) that most closely aligns to my design thoughts. Especially re: fewer, broader themes with diverse, overlapping support.