tomchaps' cube

Here's my cube: http://deckstats.net/decks/3141/11686-tomchaps-cube-april-2013

Here it is on tappedout, for the practice drafts: http://tappedout.net/mtg-cube-drafts/tomchaps-budget-cube/

My cube began as a very, very budget cube, and many of the omissions are due to budget. (Most of the priciest cards are gold-bordered World Championship cards or gifts.) Also, the vast majority of my drafts are 2-player, which impacts the shape of the cube. (Basically, to make aggro as strong in 2-player as it would be in an 8-man, I found you'd have to skew the cube more than I was comfortable with. However, adding a few more ramp/tinker/reanimate targets here and there and bulking up the high end cc compared to most cubes just meant a few tabled fatties that didn't otherwise skew larger drafts.)

I'm on the verge of cutting many of the artifact mana accelerators, both Tezzerets, Wurmcoil Engine, Gideon Jura and Grave Titan.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, especially from this group.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Thanks for posting your list up, Tom! Especially in light of the fact that the folks here are savage. :)

First impressions from a very cursory glance:

The list seems big, considering that your primary draft environment is two people. I was expecting a 360 list, or something even smaller, actually. If you want to make any of your archetypes more consistent, shrinking your cube might be an option, and you'll still have a decent amount of variance from draft to draft with just two players.

If you're looking to give aggro a jolt, I might cut down on some of the fours. Looking at your mana curve on deckstats, there's a bulge right around 4 cmc spot, where normally that spot starts to trend downward. Speaking broadly, I find that a preponderance of four mana spells has the effect of bolstering midrange the most out of all of the archetypes, so that could be an area to go over with a fine comb if there's too many good stuff decks in your drafts. Then again, if you primarily play with only one other person, I imagine that most any deck starts to resemble good stuff at some point.

And yeah, get Wurmcoil Engine and Grave Titan the hell out of there. I'm sick of those guys myself.

How has Capsize been for you? I'm hesitant to use it because it seems like a really un-fun card. Being Capsize-locked out of a game is a pretty frustrating way to lose.

CML

Contributor
i don't really have any overarching suggestions aside from my usual ones about a nice and shallow power curve so i'll just suggest you try it and see how it goes! also your fixing is strongly skewed towards slower decks (bouncelands, signets), maybe proxy up some high-power untapped fixing and try that too.

more specifics:

black vise?!?

based on my experience capsize is if anything too bad, but then when it's good it's always too good, and i don't like cards like that, so i cut capsize (forbid is another example)

tezzes are hard to support, i know my cube couldnt do it but you have far more artifacts. i wanted to try 2ub tezz -- definitely one of the most powerful walkers (and the least flexible) -- because it was so so fun in constructed but it didn't work. anyway, maybe try axing them and axing mana vault & friends and see how it goes?

also most importantly! i am interested in trying some cards of yours. how do you feel about these:

perilous myr
precursor golem
austere command
hokori, dust drinker
kor skyfisher
lone missionary
new niv-mizzet
sen triplets
ob nixilis
sewer nemesis
beast within
bribery
topsy-turvy

Thanks for the comments! I agree that my cube could use some streamlining, although I dearly love my splashy 4-drops. I also don't mind having a lot of variance in my drafts--I'd go crazy if I ran one of those 360 cubes in which every card is drafted every time. Thus, I don't mind having a 500 card list even if I only draft with 8 people twice a year.

Also, our 2-man drafts can actually wind up using a fair amount of the cube. Here are the ways we draft: Winston with 105, auction draft, Fact or Fiction draft, grid draft, quilt draft. Grid drafting is great, but we dislike knowing everything the other person has in their deck, so here is our odd default draft. Ready?
  1. Winston 35 cards. This gives you a basic direction, and you have a sense what the other person might be trying to do, but nothing is set in stone yet. This makes the grids more interesting.
  2. Grid draft six grids. (We sometimes do eight). After each grid, each person draws three cards and keeps one, not revealing it.
So, you end up with about 18 cards from the Winston, 15 from the grid, and 6 from the one-of-three picks. You end up having a LOT of cards to choose from, and it has made it more possible to build strong archetypes rather than just goodstuff decks. (I've finally gotten Wildfire, Stax, and artifact decks to work much more than they did when simply Winstoning.)

On Capsize: even though my cube is slower than normal, it's not so slow that a 6-mana repeatable bounce is much of a problem. There are definitely board states in which can be obnoxious, but they are few and far between.

On Grave Titan and Wurmcoil Engine: my most frequent opponent is still lobbying to keep them in. I'll win the argument eventually, since it is my cube, after all.
On Black Vise: The definition of a non-skilltesting card. Either it is a colorless one-mana 4-7 point fireball, or it's a blank. (Okay, it's pretty fun with Upheaval...) But it's one of those cards that only helps aggro decks v control (and to a lesser extent midrange), and that's the matchup I want to bolster right now. Oh, and since I've been trying to push the artifact deck a bit, I try to keep lots in the cube for the Tezzerets (and Tinker) to feast on. It'll leave soon, I think.

I honestly think my cube will get much better once I decide to take out the Tezzerets and some of the fast artifact mana. It's just such a fun, odd deck to get to build every once in a while.

Perilous Myr: Surprisingly strong little card, the free death-shock can do a lot of work. If you want to weaken classic red aggro rush decks, this is the card to do it. I've been tempted to take it out for that reason, actually--it's too good against aggro.

Precursor Golem: Play it! Everyone! Nine power for 5 colorless is no joke. Can be very swingy, of course, and not for those who enjoy accruing tiny incremental advantages. I've lost to a Smash to Smithereens on it, and won with a turn 6 Reckless Charge for 18 damage out of nowhere.

Austere Command: It can be skilltesting, but usually it's just an overcosted wrath. That's fine by me. However, I support tokens quite heavily, and the asymmetry of the card does come up sometimes.

Hokori, Dust-Drinker. Since it's so damned easy to remove, it's not the Winter-Orb-on-a-stick I was looking for. Still, it can give W/x aggro decks a couple of extra turns of free attacks before the opponent can stabilize, which is sometimes worthwhile. I love building Stax/Opposition/Winter Orb lockdown griefer decks once in a while, too. Doesn't make it on power level alone, clearly.

Kor Skyfisher. Without Moxen, not great. I keep him in for abusing ETB triggers, but it doesn't happen much. On his way out.

Lone Missionary. I think I have too much lifegain in my cube, and am on the verge of cutting Loxodon Warhammer and either this or his buddy Nearheath Pilgrim, to give aggro a bit more of a chance. Right now, this sees play as a 23rd card in just about every white deck that needs a meh card. It can be fun with blink, and can win you an aggro mirror.

Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius. Just put him in, since I love UR control/counterburn and he's an ideal finisher for that deck. Sadly, he hasn't seen play yet, so I have nothing to report.

Sen Triplets. A pet card that has been in my cube forever. I actually used to define my cube power level as "a cube that can still run Sen Triplets." I love the unique effect, although usually your opponent can empty his hand before you can abuse it too much. I like having some cards that you open and say, "well, I guess I'm going for Esper control today." (Duskmantle Seer, Wildfire, and Nicol Bolas are similar.) I also like game-warping game states in which your opponent is burning off useful spells just so you can't have them.

Ob Nixilis. Bit of a big dumb beater (especially since I don't have fetchlands in my cube), but a good one. He makes it into most black decks, providing reach for aggro and a finisher for control. I enjoy the sense of mounting pressure he creates as he grows, even when easily chumped.

Sewer Nemesis. Best Juzam Djinn ever. Much more interesting of a growing-threat card than Ob Nix, and a favorite. I appreciate black reanimation support, and usually choose myself as a target.

Beast Within. Skill testing and useful. A 3/3 token is not bad for a green instant speed Vindicate, especially for green, which isn't too concerned with opposing creatures. Helps shore up all sorts of blind spots in green. Targeting your own extra land for an EOT/hasty green dude to hold a sword also comes up occasionally. I am sometimes tempted to cut this, and then it saves my bacon by zapping an otherwise game-winning Gideon Jura or Sword of X and Y.

Bribery. Pretty recent addition, and not as broken as I feared. In a control v ramp slugfest, it can just win, and can feel unfair. It is only moderately useful against a surprising number of decks, though. I'll still firstpick this unless I know my opponent is trying for a very fast deck. Can have interesting toolboxy applications sometimes, where you search their deck for the Vandals that will save you, or something.

Topsy Turvy. Just added, never seen play yet. I hope it will be a 3-mana slightly worse timewalk, with corner case bonuses involving vigilance, blink, and sac effects. Don't really know, though.

CML

Contributor
hey tom -- thanks for the reply! i agree with most of your assessments abstractly and am going to try sewer nemesis, precursor golem, kor skyfisher, lone missionary, new niv-mizzet. quickly:

these precursor interactions sound incredibly fun; (how do you feel about silverheart, the 12 power dude who also costs 5?)
skyfisher might be better if you lower the curve. this would help bolster your aggro decks. i've found that too much lifegain is annoying but having a little lifegain + aggro decks that can beat it has been dynamic, tense, rewarding.
lone missionary fits the blink theme well, i wanted to like nearheath but i just couldn't.
new niv has gotta be sweet. it fills several niches -- mana-sink, UR card, six-mana red card, sweet flier etc. i'm excited for him.

I've liked Wolfir Silverheart so far. He is surprisingly beatable for a card that makes such a ridiculous apparent impact, which makes for great stories. You're staring down a crazy amount of damage, and then you play a simple Into the Roil to bounce one half of the soulbond and kill the other. I enjoy occasional games with wide swings of momentum, which Wolfir provides.

Okay, a major update to my cube. I'll be experimenting with removing much of the fast artifact mana from my cube, along with both Tezzerets. This was a tough decision, and I'm ready to swap all or part of it back in if it turns out we prefer the artifacts. I'm hoping that making acceleration a bit more difficult (along with removing a couple of lifegain creatures) will help fast decks against control and ramp. I frankly never believed the "signets are too good and punish green" argument; this change came about from realizing how impossible it was to draft a Tezzeret deck in a 2-player draft, and working backwards from there.

We'll see!

Out-->In

Grim Monolith--> Prismatic Lens
Mana Vault--> Noxious Revival
Simic Signet--> Simic Sky Swallower
Azorius Signet--> Lavinia of the Tenth
Orzhov Signet--> High Priest of Penance
Dimir Signet--> Dimir Keyrune
Izzet Signet--> Fire//Ice

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas--> Psychatog
Tezzeret the Seeker--> Jace, Architect of Thought

I'm also removing two cards that are on the verge of being too unfun and mindlessly firstpickable:

Sword of Body and Mind
Wurmcoil Engine

And one card is removed because it was never played:
Erratic Portal

My main opponent finds Topsy Turvy annoying, so:

Topsy Turvy--> Mistblade Shinobi.

A few other random swaps:

Vines of Vastwood--> Gyre Sage
Obstinate Baloth--> Devoted Druid
Nearheath Pilgrim--> Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Stupor--> Geralf's Messenger

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I really like these changes, although I may be biased. Nearly all the cards you took out aren't in my cube anyways. Noxious Revival looks like a fun one to play with.

Got a couple of 2-man drafts in tonight with the changes, and although my opponent was skeptical, I think the decks turned out great. A lot of my marginal pet cards actually hit the table and did stuff--Havengul Lich, Contagion Clasp, The Mimeoplasm, Sen Triplets, and a last-second about-to-die game-saving Harrow into Pestermite EOT into Kiki-Jiki for the infinite combo win.

Just had one of those amazing cube board states, where he had a Primeval Titan and The Mimeoplasm (copying his Vengevine for 4 +1/+1 and my Murderous Redcap = ping for 6!), Lightning Greaves on the Titan, a Contagion Clasp and all the land he could want. I had his Glen Elendra Archmage underneath my Mimic Vat, Vedalken Shackles and six land, Havengul Lich and a Venser, Shaper Savant in the graveyard. I was able to bounce my own Shelldock Isle and dig four deep for an instant-speed 1-mana bomb, over and over. Frost Titan under the Isle finally broke the stalemate, with Glen Elendra protecting against the overloaded Cyclonic Rift in his hand.

Woo! Cube!

I had a moment during the Winston portion of the draft, when I'm already pretty committed to UB, with maybe a white splash. The pile is: Goblin Guide, Koth of the Hammer, Fireblast. Uh... I decided not to audible into red, but dang.

Rules question that came up tonight: He casts Thrun, I respond with Desertion. Thrun isn't countered, but the wording implies that I might still gain control of him. (The issue was mooted when I followed Barter in Blood with Havengul Lich, and stole him from the graveyard anyway a couple of turns later...)

Did a couple of 2-man drafts against a friend who played Alpha through Ice Age, and only came back during RTR. He's a very good player, and although I had to walk him through a bunch of keywords and abilities, he proceeded to do a great job building curve-conscious streamlined decks while I floundered with three color-no fixing control nonsense.

One nice thing was that he had absolutely no preconceptions as to what cards were supposed to be good, or what a cube deck was "supposed" to look like. The second draft he built entirely around a card that most don't even cube with anymore: Blistering Firecat. It was a Jund deck with Recurring Nightmare, Volrath's Stronghold, Fauna Shaman, and a few more necro cards, tutors and sweepers, designed to recur the Firecat over and over. Seemed pretty narrow to me, but when that sucker worked, it punished my control deck HARD.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds pretty great Tom. I love introducing new people to my cube, especially when they bring such a fresh perspective. New players always see cards and strategies in such a different light, which is very refreshing.

I just picked up a Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, a card I've been interested in since it was spoiled. I've enjoyed running Havengul Lich, and was wondering what others thought of Lazav. I hate Hexproof as an ability, but this is narrow and interesting enough that it might not be too objectionable. (Probably cutting Psychatog for him.)

And hey, the new Legend rule means that, um, I guess he'd live if the opponent reanimates the creature he's cloning. So, he's better?

Anyone try him out?