TrainmasterGT's 360 Card Main Cube

Hello everyone! My name is TrainmasterGT and this is my cube. The first post in this thread will always be discussing the most current design of my cube. Subsequent posts will discuss earlier iterations in order. Currently, you are reading about Iteration 2 of my cube.

Cube Link
Visual Spoiler
Draft It

My cube is a medium-power environment. Players can still do plenty of "broken" things, chiefly Tinker combo decks. The power level is still low enough to allow for some quirkier cards to have a chance in the spotlight, such as Ghalta, Primal Hunger and Archfiend of Ifnir.

Iteration 2 Design Philosophy

Iteration 2 is not a complete overhaul of my cube. Instead, it was a large update streamlining the cube's design and fleshing out some previously undefined color pairs. UW, RW, and RG were all given some much-needed definition. I re-worked and expanded my gold slot in this update to better-reflect each 2-color pair. I

Iteration 2 Archetypes

Azorious
Major Archetype: Heros
Minor Archetype: Control

Heroic is an archetype which I find to be incredibly enjoyable to play. Players get a reward for slapping some pants on their small creatures, incentivizing them to play more auras in their decks. I took a more value-based approach to the construction of my heroic archetype. TBasically, the idea is to have the heroic trigger not be the payoff for playing the deck, but rather an incentive to get players to draft their decks around the heroes. The goal is to play value auras like Cartouche of Knowlede and Eidolon of Countless Battles targeting creatures like Battlewise Hoplite and Fabled Hero.

The Secondary archetype of U/W is an Enchantments control deck. Blue and White have many enchantments that act as removal in my cube. This archetype is designed to flourish around the influx of permanent-based removal. Cards like Ghostly Prison and Sphere of Safety slow down the game until a fatty like Glyph Keeper can finish the job.

Dimir
Major Archetype: Discard Matters
Minor Archetype: Reanimator

Cycling was originally going to be one of the cube's major themes. Over time, this morphed into a more universal "graveyard matters" deck featuring a heavy emphasis on cycling and discarding cards. U/B cycling comes together in one of 2 ways. The first is a more synergy-oriented build, where players try to gain value from cycling/discard payoffs like Drake Haven, [Archfiend of Ifinir[/c], and Shadowstorm Vizier. Low cost and free repeatable discard like Tomb Robber, Oona's Prowler and Psychatog allow for maximum gravy from the triggers.

The second way Cycling comes together is in a more control-oriented manner. Control builds seek to garner an advantage by always having answers or the means to find them. Miscalculation, Lay Claim, and Curator of Mysteries. Although black does not have as many synergies in the control build, cards like Hero's Downfall and Damnation are vital to the deck's success.

Reanimator decks use cheap discard outlets like Cryptbreaker, Enclave Cryptologist and the aforementioned Oona's Prowler to get large creatures directly into the graveyard. These fatties can include cards like Terastodon, Inkwell Leviathin, and Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Reanimation spells like Animate Dead, Necromancy, and Dread Return can quickly send the game sprialing in the reanimator player's favor.

Rakdos
Major Archetype: Discard Aggro

This archetype is focused on doing as damage as quickly as possible while still having a bit of late-game reach thanks to some graveyard synergy. Explosive plays involving cards like Flameblade Adept and Hollow One in conjunction with discard effects like Faithless Looting can really kick the game into high gear early. Black's Scrapheap Scrounger, Dread Wanderer, and Undead Gladiator can come back from the grave after being either killed or discarded for value. B/R also has some "power at a cost" cards like Master of the Feast, Bloodrage Brawler, and Herald of Torment that can deal massive damage early in the game. Cards like Bloodhall Priest and Kolaghan, The Storm's Fury can help to get in that last bit of damage in the late game. This deck attacks early and often but doesn't run out of gas in the late game.

B/R Reanimator builds play very similarly to their U/B counterparts. Red discard effects are slightly quicker than those in blue, allowing for faster finishes.

Gruul
Major Archetype: Beatdown Dinosaurs

The very nature of my playgroup means that there are going to be a lot of newer players trying to navigate their way around a complicated format. Iteration one pretty much-ignored R/G as a color pair, and there wasn't any synergy between the two colors. Despite this, newer players would often gravitate towards R/G stompy decks. With the Introduction of Dinosaurs as a tribe in Ixalan, it made sense just to embrace what R/G was already up to and add some Stompy Dinosaurs.

Red-Green dinos decks want to start playing mana dorks and enchantments like Arbor Elf, Utopia Sprawl and Whisperer of the Wilds early. As early as turn 2, the deck can then start dropping Runic Armasaurs, Thrashing Brontodons, and even Ripjaw Raptors. Later on in the game, Charging Monstrosaur, Territorial Allosaurus and Regisaur Alpha can do some real damage. There is also a bit of a "high-power matters" theme in this color pair, including the Ferocious cards, Ghalta, Primal Hunger, Xenagos, God of Revels, and the build-around Sarkhan's Unsealing.

The beauty of this archetype is that it doesn't rely on specifically dinosaurs to win. There are still plenty of good non-dinosaurs for this deck to play, such as Polukranos, World Eater, Honored Hydra, Grand Warlord Rahda, or even just Thunderbreak Regent. The dinosaurs just add a fun flavor (and marker) to the archetype.

Selesnya
Major Archetype: Enchantress

G/W decks want to play enchantments. They want to put auras on their dudes and then turn them sideways. If there were ever a deck for Etherial Armor and Eidolon of Blossoms, or one which would happily play it's enchantresses, this would be it. The basic goal of the deck is to slam some early dorks like Adorned Pouncer and Herald of the Pantheon and give em' some pants. Auras can range from the humble Rancor all the way up to the mighty On Serra's Wings. Bestow creatures like Boon Satyr allows the deck some additional value even if an enchanted creature leaves play. Last but not least, card advantage and value engines like Satyr Enchanter and Sigil of the Empty Throne can help to close out the game.

One nice thing about this archetype is that about half of green's ramp can interact with auras in some way, shape, or form. Utopia Sprawl, Fertile Ground, Wild Growth and Overgrowth are all enchantments, while Arbor Elf and Voyaging Satyr both care about untapping lands. It just oozes with synergy.

Orzhov
Major Archetype: The Fault in our Stars (Constellation)
Thought Experiment: Zombies

This deck is very similar to the Selesnya archetype, but the emphasis is placed more on playing enchantment creatures rather than playing specifically auras. Black actually has the highest volume of Enchantment Creatures out of any color in the cube. Grim Guardian might not look like much at first glance, but it's large butt and drain ability can really hurt your opponents over time. From here, players can build a more controlling deck, capitalizing on ConstellationTriggers and Aura-based removal, or they can build more aggressive decks using W/B aggro creatures and Bestow dudes. Either way, a there is a lot of value to be had here.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to support a W/B zombies deck in my cube. I really like Wayward Servant as a card, and I want to see if I can support a minimalist zombies archetype in the cube. That said, I just don't have very much support for that type of deck. Cryptbreaker is great, and Liliana's Mastery becomes significantly better than it already is if zombies are indeed a thing, but I'm not sure this fun archetype is worth the baggage to fully support. It's future inclusion honestly depends on whether or not it works out as a subtheme of W/B enchantress, since there are actually a surprising number of zombie-related cards that already pair with that deck.

Golgari
Major Archetype: Graveyard Shenanigans Reanimator
Minor Archetype: Constellation/Enchantress mashup

Reanimator is one of the staples of cube. Like their U/B and B/R counterparts, B/G reanimator decks use black's efficient discard outlets like Cryptbreaker and Oona's Prowler to get creatures into the graveyard quickly. Green brings more efficient mass dump mill cards like Commune with the Gods and Gather the Pack to the table. Green also has a fairly broad range of bigcreatures that players can reanimate.

The secondary enchantress/constellation archetype is the byproduct of both Green and Black both supporting enchantment decks with white. This is probably the grindiest version of the deck. Courser of Kruphix, Doomwake Giant, and Eidolon of Blossoms, in addition to the Mana Enchantments can gain huge incremental advantages for constellation players. Pharika's Mender is also essentially a Regrowth on a stick for this deck.

Simic
Major Archetype: Super Ramp
Minor Archetype: Squirrel Combo

Simic decks try to combo together Mana Enchantments like Utopia Sprawl and Wild Growth combined with Untappers like Arbor Elf, Vizier of Tumbling Sands, and Kiora's Follower. The mana production created by these cards can be used to ramp into big creatures like Foe-Razer Regent, Ghalta, Primal Hunger and Inkwell Leviathin ahead of schedule. The deck can also use repeatable mana sinks like Mystic Archaeologist and River Hoopoe to draw into its finishers.

Did you guys know that Squirrel Nest, Intruder Alarm, and an Untapper can make infinite squirrels? It's like a fun, non-GRBS version of Splinter Twin. And in case you're wondering, this deck has come together twice before in draft. It's legit.

Izzet
Major Archetype: Historic

Izzet decks in my cube want to use the abundance of Mana Rocks and efficient artifacts matter finishers. Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain is generally going to act as the main "engine" of the deck. Not only does she trigger off of casting Artifacts, she also triggers off of the casting of Legends. Blue-Red has the highest ratio of legendary to non-legendary permanents in the cube. What's more, many of these legends care about artifacts, such as Pia Nalaar, Pia and Kiran Nalaar, Captain Lannery Storm, and Sai, Master Thopterist.

Beyond its artifacts matter theme, Izzet decks play a very tempo-oriented game. Cards like Electrolyze, Izzet Charm, and Thassa, God of the Sea can help Izzet decks keep the upper hand against opposing strategies. The nice thing about the tempo deck is that it plays very nicely with the full-in artifacts matter deck. Whirler Rogue just is a good card regardless of whether it's being played for its artifacts matter abilities or evasive utility.

Boros
Major Archetype: Attachment Disorder

Boros attachment decks formed from seeing base red aggro decks using some of white's low drop heroes and auras to great effect. These decks were fun, but they didn't have a whole lot of synergy. Slamming Bloodrage Brawler and then giving it some Flying Pants. Since I had no real archetype in this color pair, supporting the deck people were already playing made the most logical sense. Thanks to Dominaria, an Auras and Equipment was able to form thanks to Danitha Capashen, Paragon, Tiana, Ship's Caretaker, Valduk, Keeper of the Flame, and Champion of the Flame. I allowed this deck to hedge into red's artifact theme a bit by giving it some powerful equipment, namely Bloodforged Battle-Axe and Umezawa's Jitte. Other than that, the deck plays like a mix between U/W heroic and Mono-Red Aggro.

Bonus Archetype 1:
Mono Red Aggro

In the first cube I ever built, I avoided adding a mono-red deck because I felt supporting mono-color decks was a trap (I still do to some extent). Then, 2 very important things happened. First, I opened a Goblin Guide in a Modern Masters 2017 pack. Second, Amonkhet Block was released, introducing a whole new archetype to standard: 2-tix red. This was the first time since I started playing magic that I thought a currently competitively viable red aggro deck looked Fun. I thought the deck's gameplan of using Cartouche of Zeal and Ahn-crop Crasher to stop the opponent from blocking was really unique. I knew I had to add the archetype to my cube! RDW in my cube ends up being some amalgamation of 2-tix red and Modern Burn. It's pretty self-explanatory and very fun.

Bonus Archetype 2:
Sultai Sidisi Whip

Another old standard deck, Sultai Sidisi Whip tries to use Sidisi, Brood Tyrant in conjunction with Whip of Erebos to create a soul-crushing game-winning combo. Sidisi can mill creatures into the GY which Whip can hastily reanimate. Other than that, Sidisi Whip decks usually play like a mix between UB and BG Reanimator builds.

Bonus Archetype 3:
Mono-Black Devotion

Mono-black decks can work. I have seen them work. The Pack Rat Rat pack reunion tour featuring Gray Merchant of Asphodel is on now! Starring the new backup band of Gifted Aetherborn, Vampire Nighthawk, and Cryptbreaker. They'll enthrall you all night with songs of Profane Commands, Vanquishing the Weak and Damnation. It's sure to be one heck of a show!

Bonus Archetype 4:
Treasure Masters

This deck is looks, but it has come together before, and when it does, it is one of the most fun decks in the cube. This is a 2-card combo between Marionette Master and Spell Swindle. The basic idea is to counter a thing that costs 5 or more mana with Swindle, then on the next turn play a Marionette Master adding the counters. Then players can sacrifice the Swindle Treasures, usually to win the game on the spot.

Cube Link
Visual Spoiler
Draft It

Iteration 1 ---> Iteration 2.

The first iteration of the cube was not designed with 2-color pairs in mind, at least at the start of cube construction. My previous attempts at building cubes had been hyper-focused on giving every 2-color pair a completely unique identity. These failed miserably, although this was mostly due to me trying to support entirely different archetypes with no inherent synergies, such as Elves, Allies, Constellation, and "Spells from Graveyards Matter." When I sat down to build what would become the first iteration of this cube, I decided to focus on giving the cube some coherent cube-wide themes rather than focusing on what each 2-color pair should be doing. I gave my color pairs general "speeds" at which I wanted them to play (UR Tempo, BG Midrange, Etc) but I didn't really flesh them out from a mechanical standpoint. The nice thing about supporting cube-wide themes instead of specific archetypes was that it made the whole experience a bit less overwhelming for new players. I designed my cube for use at Scout Camp, so people as young as 11-years old were going to be drafting and playing with my cube.

I eventually settled on cycling and enchantments as my 2 major themes. Every color had good cycling cards, and Amonkhet block introduced some nice payoffs for cycling. I absolutely love enchantments (due to starting around Theros block), so I wanted to support them as well. This "Cube-wide themes over color-pair archetypes" design really helped me to organize my thoughts when constructing the skeleton of my cube.

As I was building my cube, certain interactions really started to pop out at me. Arbor Elf and Vizier of Tumbling Sands both worked really well with the Enchantment-based ramp in my cube. Pia and Kiran Nalaar played nicely with Whirler Rogue and all of the artifact-based fixing in the format. This made me re-think my "themes over archetypes" approach. I realized that my previous issue in cube design had been that my archetypes were way too narrow to work. Blue-Green Eldrazi Scions Matter is narrow. Blue-Green ramp is not. I went ahead and helped support the themes that I saw coming together in each 2-color pair. I tried to avoid being too invasive, but help what each deck wanted to be doing. I ended up with the following Archetypes:
U/B Cycling/Discard
B/R Aggro
G/W Enchantress
W/B Constellation
B/G Reanimator
G/U Super Ramp
U/R Artifacts
R/W Control?
U/W Enchantment Prison?
R/G Stompy?

I still didn't have good ideas for Boros, Azorius, and Gruul, so I ended up keeping their "speeds" as filler.

By this point in cube design, I had swapped the fairly specific "cycling" theme to a more general "Graveyard with a focus on Discard" theme. This was mainly due to my inability to find a ton of red and green cyclers which I actually liked. I had also made the decision to run only 20 lands in the cube, in favor of running more mana rocks. This was mainly done to keep the power level of the lands fairly consistant without breaking my bank. I used the Shocklands and Bouncelands in these slots. I didn't have an Overgrown Tomb or Breeding Pool, nor did I have the money to purchase them, so I used Blooming Marsh and Botanical Sanctum instead. I still had a few "flex" slots availible, so I decided to add some of my favorite 3 and 4-color cards, such as Surrak Dragonclaw and Breya, Etherium Shaper.

At that point, it was time for Scout Camp. This was the entire reason I built my cube in the first place. I stopped development there, and played the cube for a few weeks. Every single color pair saw play, even the ones I hadn't really fleshed out. In fact, in the first every 8-man draft of the cube R/G stompy was present. I also saw a R/W Control with all 3 fireball effects, piloted by someone who played magic in the 90's, U/B Cycling, G/B Graveyard, and G/U super-ramp. The other 3 decks were random junkpiles built by children who tried to play three-color cards and as many Planeswalkers as they could in their decks. That was an issue. Other than that though, the cube was fun to play. Over the next few months, I did not get a chance to have another 8-man draft. Me and some friends did a few Winston drafts, and a few people drafted the cube on Cubetutor. This gameplay gave me some ideas for my next major update.

Flash forward to June of 2018. Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, and Dominaria have all been released M19 previews are in full swing. The last few months of 8-man and Winston drafts have provided much useful knowledge regarding the play of the cube. Scout camp is about to role around again, and I had tons of new ideas to apply to my cube. Thus, iteration 2 (and the idea of full iterations, really) was born. I had three goals with this iteration:

1: Flesh out every color pair.
People were playing decks of every color pair. That said, not every color pair had an actual defined gameplan. I decided to use the decks people were already playing to help create defined archetypes in my undefined color pairs.

2: Remove most of the random GRBS that didn't need to be there.
Games in my cube almost always ended up being very fun and interactive... until someone slammed a hard-to-beat bomb like Karn Liberated. So that begs the question; why was Karn Liberated in the cube in the first place? The short answer is: I wanted to play my "cool, rare" cards. Most of the GRBS in the cube doesn't need to be there, so I have made a conscious effort to remove it.

3: Balance the power-level of my removal in relation to the rest of the cube.
Path to Exile was the best White card in the cube. It hosed aura decks and made people feel bad for legitimately playing big creatures. It also required me to run cards that could be considered GRBS, like Troll Ascetic and Invisible Stalker in an attempt to make the aura decks good. It was to the point where some of my removal was GRBS. As such I nerfed it.

With these three things in mind, I went ahead and updated the cube. Thanks to Ixalan block and Dominaria, I had some new toys to play with that really helped to flesh out the second iteration of the cube. Ixalan block really solidified my faith in the idea of "signpost cards" for draft. Cards like Storm Fleet Sprinter and Raging Swordtooth were really indicative of what each color-pair in the format wanted to do. With this in mind, I made a number of swaps in my cube's gold slot. Silumgar, the Drifting Death becomes Psychatog, for example. I also expanded the gold slot for each 2-color pair by 1 card, replacing the rarely played Keyrunes. The Keyrunes were mediocre fixing, and they weren't that great as creatures either. When they did see play, they were oftentimes just bad.

I used some of the new XLN, RIX and DOM cards to help give Gruul and Boros some much-needed direction. Gruul was given a Dinosaurs theme on top of it's stompy deck. The Dinosaurs filled in the "finishers" slot for the deck nicely, and also encourage drafters to pick mana ramp a little more highly. Although the only real payoffs for Dinosaur Tribal synergies specifically are Savage Stomp and Regisaur Alpha, the deck cares far more about playing generally big creatures. The Dinosaurs are more of a fun layer to the deck. Boros gained an auras and equipment matters theme. Danitha Capishen, Paragon, Valduk, Keeper of the Flame, Tiana, Ship's Caretaker, and Champion of the Flame from DOM helped solidify this archetype. Azorius was usually being played as though it were a Heroic deck. These decks were usually pretty good, so I just went ahead and added a couple more payoffs for being U/W heroes, mainly Battlewise Hoplite.

Now, My Archetypes are as follows:
U/W Heroes
U/B Cycling/Discard
B/R Discard Aggro
R/G Dinosaurs/High Power Matters
G/W Enchantress
W/B Constellation
B/G Reanimator
G/U Super Ramp
U/R Artifacts/Legends Tempo
R/W Auras and Equipment

Now on to the topic of removal. I made the decision to axe all unconditional creature removal that costs less than 3 mana and causes the thing being removed to leave play. The reason I did this was simple: I wanted aura decks and decks aiming to run huge creatures to be better. Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, Journey to Nowhere, Doom Blade, Shriekmaw, and Big-game hunter were all removed. In their places, I added some more conditional and SIP (stay in play) removal, such as Pacifism, Soul Tithe, Arrest, Smite the Monstrous, Vanquish the Weak, Killing Glare, and Reave Soul. Most of these new removal spells either target decks trying to cheat things into play (i.e. Soul Tithe against Reanimator and Ghalta), or smaller creatures (A.K.A creatures before they have auras attached to them).

I left a few of my 3+ mana RFP (remove from play) removal spells in the cube because I felt it was imperative for my players to be able to kill planeswalkers. Hero's Downfall and Banishing Light might still wreck Aura players, but they have higher-priority targets most of the time.

I removed a few cards like Karn Liberated which were just over-powered. In addition to this, I removed most of the 3 and 4-colored cards because they just weren't that good and sent false signals to my drafters. Other than that, I made some minor card upgrades, such as Olivia's Dragoon to Oona's Prowler, and added some cards that were previously outside my budget, such as Utopia Sprawl. I did some trimming in my Green 3-drop section. It's still too large I feel, but it's fine for now. I also cut some of the bad cards, such as the Aforementioned Keyrunes, Champion of Rhonas, and Dovin Baan. Red had a few cards that called out Instants and Sorceries as though it were a theme, so I removed all of them except for Goblin Dark-Dwellers.

Card Changes:
In:

Out:

Original Iteration 2 Archetypes:
Iteration 2 Archetypes

Azorious
Major Archetype: Heros
Minor Archetype: Control

Heroic is an archetype which I find to be incredibly enjoyable to play. Players get a reward for slapping some pants on their small creatures, incentivizing them to play more auras in their decks. I took a more value-based approach to the construction of my heroic archetype. TBasically, the idea is to have the heroic trigger not be the payoff for playing the deck, but rather an incentive to get players to draft their decks around the heroes. The goal is to play value auras like Cartouche of Knowlede and Eidolon of Countless Battles targeting creatures like Battlewise Hoplite and Fabled Hero.

The Secondary archetype of U/W is an Enchantments control deck. Blue and White have many enchantments that act as removal in my cube. This archetype is designed to flourish around the influx of permanent-based removal. Cards like Ghostly Prison and Sphere of Safety slow down the game until a fatty like Glyph Keeper can finish the job.

Dimir
Major Archetype: Discard Matters

Cycling was originally going to be one of the cube's major themes. Over time, this morphed into a more universal "graveyard matters" deck featuring a heavy emphasis on cycling and discarding cards. U/B cycling comes together in one of 2 ways. The first is a more synergy-oriented build, where players try to gain value from cycling/discard payoffs like Drake Haven, [Archfiend of Ifinir[/c], and Shadowstorm Vizier. Low cost and free repeatable discard like Tomb Robber, Oona's Prowler and Psychatog allow for maximum gravy from the triggers.

The second way Cycling comes together is in a more control-oriented manner. Control builds seek to garner an advantage by always having answers or the means to find them. Miscalculation, Lay Claim, and Curator of Mysteries. Although black does not have as many synergies in the control build, cards like Hero's Downfall and Damnation are vital to the deck's success.

Reanimator decks use cheap discard outlets like Cryptbreaker, Enclave Cryptologist and the aforementioned Oona's Prowler to get large creatures directly into the graveyard. These fatties can include cards like Terastodon, Inkwell Leviathin, and Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Reanimation spells like Animate Dead, Necromancy, and Dread Return can quickly send the game sprialing in the reanimator player's favor.

Rakdos
Major Archetype: Discard Aggro

This archetype is focused on doing as damage as quickly as possible while still having a bit of late-game reach thanks to some graveyard synergy. Explosive plays involving cards like Flameblade Adept and Hollow One in conjunction with discard effects like Faithless Looting can really kick the game into high gear early. Black's Scrapheap Scrounger, Dread Wanderer, and Undead Gladiator can come back from the grave after being either killed or discarded for value. B/R also has some "power at a cost" cards like Master of the Feast, Bloodrage Brawler, and Herald of Torment that can deal massive damage early in the game. Cards like Bloodhall Priest and Kolaghan, The Storm's Fury can help to get in that last bit of damage in the late game. This deck attacks early and often but doesn't run out of gas in the late game.

B/R Reanimator builds play very similarly to their U/B counterparts. Red discard effects are slightly quicker than those in blue, allowing for faster finishes.

Gruul
Major Archetype: Beatdown Dinosaurs

The very nature of my playgroup means that there are going to be a lot of newer players trying to navigate their way around a complicated format. Iteration one pretty much-ignored R/G as a color pair, and there wasn't any synergy between the two colors. Despite this, newer players would often gravitate towards R/G stompy decks. With the Introduction of Dinosaurs as a tribe in Ixalan, it made sense just to embrace what R/G was already up to and add some Stompy Dinosaurs.

Red-Green dinos decks want to start playing mana dorks and enchantments like Arbor Elf, Utopia Sprawl and Whisperer of the Wilds early. As early as turn 2, the deck can then start dropping Runic Armasaurs, Thrashing Brontodons, and even Ripjaw Raptors. Later on in the game, Charging Monstrosaur, Territorial Allosaurus and Regisaur Alpha can do some real damage. There is also a bit of a "high-power matters" theme in this color pair, including the Ferocious cards, Ghalta, Primal Hunger, Xenagos, God of Revels, and the build-around Sarkhan's Unsealing.

The beauty of this archetype is that it doesn't rely on specifically dinosaurs to win. There are still plenty of good non-dinosaurs for this deck to play, such as Polukranos, World Eater, Honored Hydra, Grand Warlord Rahda, or even just Thunderbreak Regent. The dinosaurs just add a fun flavor (and marker) to the archetype.

Selesnya
Major Archetype: Enchantress

G/W decks want to play enchantments. They want to put auras on their dudes and then turn them sideways. If there were ever a deck for Etherial Armor and Eidolon of Blossoms, or one which would happily play it's enchantresses, this would be it. The basic goal of the deck is to slam some early dorks like Adorned Pouncer and Herald of the Pantheon and give em' some pants. Auras can range from the humble Rancor all the way up to the mighty On Serra's Wings. Bestow creatures like Boon Satyr allows the deck some additional value even if an enchanted creature leaves play. Last but not least, card advantage and value engines like Satyr Enchanter and Sigil of the Empty Throne can help to close out the game.

One nice thing about this archetype is that about half of green's ramp can interact with auras in some way, shape, or form. Utopia Sprawl, Fertile Ground, Wild Growth and Overgrowth are all enchantments, while Arbor Elf and Voyaging Satyr both care about untapping lands. It just oozes with synergy.

Orzhov
Major Archetype: The Fault in our Stars (Constellation)
Thought Experiment: Zombies

This deck is very similar to the Selesnya archetype, but the emphasis is placed more on playing enchantment creatures rather than playing specifically auras. Black actually has the highest volume of Enchantment Creatures out of any color in the cube. Grim Guardian might not look like much at first glance, but it's large butt and drain ability can really hurt your opponents over time. From here, players can build a more controlling deck, capitalizing on ConstellationTriggers and Aura-based removal, or they can build more aggressive decks using W/B aggro creatures and Bestow dudes. Either way, a there is a lot of value to be had here.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to support a W/B zombies deck in my cube. I really like Wayward Servant as a card, and I want to see if I can support a minimalist zombies archetype in the cube. That said, I just don't have very much support for that type of deck. Cryptbreaker is great, and Liliana's Mastery becomes significantly better than it already is if zombies are indeed a thing, but I'm not sure this fun archetype is worth the baggage to fully support. It's future inclusion honestly depends on whether or not it works out as a subtheme of W/B enchantress, since there are actually a surprising number of zombie-related cards that already pair with that deck.

Golgari
Major Archetype: Graveyard Shenanigans Reanimator
Minor Archetype: Constellation/Enchantress mashup

Reanimator is one of the staples of cube. Like their U/B and B/R counterparts, B/G reanimator decks use black's efficient discard outlets like Cryptbreaker and Oona's Prowler to get creatures into the graveyard quickly. Green brings more efficient mass dump mill cards like Commune with the Gods and Gather the Pack to the table. Green also has a fairly broad range of bigcreatures that players can reanimate.

The secondary enchantress/constellation archetype is the byproduct of both Green and Black both supporting enchantment decks with white. This is probably the grindiest version of the deck. Courser of Kruphix, Doomwake Giant, and Eidolon of Blossoms, in addition to the Mana Enchantments can gain huge incremental advantages for constellation players. Pharika's Mender is also essentially a Regrowth on a stick for this deck.

Simic
Major Archetype: Super Ramp
Minor Archetype: Squirrel Combo

Simic decks try to combo together Mana Enchantments like Utopia Sprawl and Wild Growth combined with Untappers like Arbor Elf, Vizier of Tumbling Sands, and Kiora's Follower. The mana production created by these cards can be used to ramp into big creatures like Foe-Razer Regent, Ghalta, Primal Hunger and Inkwell Leviathin ahead of schedule. The deck can also use repeatable mana sinks like Mystic Archaeologist and River Hoopoe to draw into its finishers.

Did you guys know that Squirrel Nest, Intruder Alarm, and an Untapper can make infinite squirrels? It's like a fun, non-GRBS version of Splinter Twin. And in case you're wondering, this deck has come together twice before in draft. It's legit.

Izzet
Major Archetype: Historic

Izzet decks in my cube want to use the abundance of Mana Rocks and efficient artifacts matter finishers. Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain is generally going to act as the main "engine" of the deck. Not only does she trigger off of casting Artifacts, she also triggers off of the casting of Legends. Blue-Red has the highest ratio of legendary to non-legendary permanents in the cube. What's more, many of these legends care about artifacts, such as Pia Nalaar, Pia and Kiran Nalaar, Captain Lannery Storm, and Sai, Master Thopterist.

Beyond its artifacts matter theme, Izzet decks play a very tempo-oriented game. Cards like Electrolyze, Izzet Charm, and Thassa, God of the Sea can help Izzet decks keep the upper hand against opposing strategies. The nice thing about the tempo deck is that it plays very nicely with the full-in artifacts matter deck. Whirler Rogue just is a good card regardless of whether it's being played for its artifacts matter abilities or evasive utility.

Boros
Major Archetype: Attachment Disorder

Boros attachment decks formed from seeing base red aggro decks using some of white's low drop heroes and auras to great effect. These decks were fun, but they didn't have a whole lot of synergy. Slamming Bloodrage Brawler and then giving it some Flying Pants. Since I had no real archetype in this color pair, supporting the deck people were already playing made the most logical sense. Thanks to Dominaria, an Auras and Equipment was able to form thanks to Danitha Capashen, Paragon, Tiana, Ship's Caretaker, Valduk, Keeper of the Flame, and Champion of the Flame. I allowed this deck to hedge into red's artifact theme a bit by giving it some powerful equipment, namely Bloodforged Battle-Axe and Umezawa's Jitte. Other than that, the deck plays like a mix between U/W heroic and Mono-Red Aggro.

Bonus Archetype 1:
Mono Red Aggro

In the first cube I ever built, I avoided adding a mono-red deck because I felt supporting mono-color decks was a trap (I still do to some extent). Then, 2 very important things happened. First, I opened a Goblin Guide in a Modern Masters 2017 pack. Second, Amonkhet Block was released, introducing a whole new archetype to standard: 2-tix red. This was the first time since I started playing magic that I thought a currently competitively viable red aggro deck looked Fun. I thought the deck's gameplan of using Cartouche of Zeal and Ahn-crop Crasher to stop the opponent from blocking was really unique. I knew I had to add the archetype to my cube! RDW in my cube ends up being some amalgamation of 2-tix red and Modern Burn. It's pretty self-explanatory and very fun.

Bonus Archetype 2:
Sultai Sidisi Whip

Another old standard deck, Sultai Sidisi Whip tries to use Sidisi, Brood Tyrant in conjunction with Whip of Erebos to create a soul-crushing game-winning combo. Sidisi can mill creatures into the GY which Whip can hastily reanimate. Other than that, Sidisi Whip decks usually play like a mix between UB and BG Reanimator builds.

Bonus Archetype 3:
Mono-Black Devotion

Mono-black decks can work. I have seen them work. The Pack Rat Rat pack reunion tour featuring Gray Merchant of Asphodel is on now! Starring the new backup band of Gifted Aetherborn, Vampire Nighthawk, and Cryptbreaker. They'll enthrall you all night with songs of Profane Commands, Vanquishing the Weak and Damnation. It's sure to be one heck of a show!

Bonus Archetype 4:
Treasure Masters

This deck is looks, but it has come together before, and when it does, it is one of the most fun decks in the cube. This is a 2-card combo between Marionette Master and Spell Swindle. The basic idea is to counter a thing that costs 5 or more mana with Swindle, then on the next turn play a Marionette Master adding the counters. Then players can sacrifice the Swindle Treasures, usually to win the game on the spot.

Ever since I joined Riptide, I've been doing a bit of thinking about some of the cards I left in my cube after my Iteration 2 update, and a couple of the cards I added. I'm going to go over them here, I'm really hoping for some feedback.

Restoration Angel is probably white's best 4-drop. It also doesn't play well with any of white's themes. I think I should replace it with something like Kor Sanctifiers, a card which is actually extremely good in this cube that is %100 on theme.

I added this card because I wanted to give white a way to unconditionally kill a big thing, just at a really high cost. I think this card is just bad though... I was going to try Skywhaler's Shot here, but I'm afraid that it's going to be more powerful than I'm intending.

I like this card, but why am I including it in a cube that cares about putting auras on creatures?

Pack Rat is a card I see discussed a lot around here. Although no one has ran away with a game using the rat in my cube yet, I'm afraid that it could ruin the format if people discover how amazing it is.

In the same vein as Smite the Monstrous, I'm a bit scared these cards are going to be bad. Vanquish the Weak falls in the same place on the curve as Hero's Downfall, and Killing Glare can cost an insane amount of mana to kill a fairly small creature. I'm not sure 5 mana and a card to kill 4/7ths of a Regisaur Alpha is worth it...

Like Pack Rat, Splinter Twin probably falls into the GRBS category. The problem is: no one has actually played a twin deck yet. I'm not sure people will ever pick up on the synergy... I already removed Deceiver Exarch because I thought it was going to be too good, with not being able to be killed by most burn and whatnot, maybe I should just remove the entire Splinter Twin package. This would also allow me to remove Pestermite to free up a blue slot, and Zealous Conscripts if I find something else I want to play in that spot.

These 3 cards are in the cube to support Tinker and Reanimator decks. I'm afraid they're too good, specifically Inkwell Leviathan because of its shroud and Myr Battlesphere due to its tokens. I'm just not sure what I would replace them with if I were to try something else. Sphinx of the Steel Wind is probably fine, but I'm including it here due to it's "protection from red and green" clause.

I'm thinking of adding some of these:

I talked about this above as a replacement for Smite the Monstrous, I'm just scared it may be too good in comparison to my other removal. I guess I could try Divine Verdict or Humble the Brute.

I really like the flexibility on this card. I liked it in Theros block limited, but I think it might be a bit too slow/clunky for my format. Do any of you have experience with this card?

I like this card a lot. It's not great, but I'm never sad to have it in a blue deck in limited. I just worry that it might be a bit too weak for the cube...

Black dips a tiny bit into the U/R Artifacts matter theme, and I kinda want to add a couple more cards to help support that deck. I'm looking at these, although I'm not sure what I would cut from black to add. Black also has the burden of caring about more things than any other color, and I think adding artifacts too that list might cause trouble. Then again, I already run Marionette Master and Scrapheap Scrounger, so...

I kinda like this card, but I think it might be too weak, even if I add Artifacts matter to black.

I'm thinking about running this over Splinter Twin. It supports Aura decks better and is also an enchantment creature.

What do you guys think?
Thanks,
-TrainmasterGT

You seem to be very conservative on your removal. In my experience, I much prefer limited play when the removal is good. Even if you don't want to play the very best removal (Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exil, Go for the Throat), I wouldn't run cards like Killing Glare or Smith the Monstrous. Skywhaler's Shot actually seems like a very good option, as it should kill the stuff you need killing even if the rate isn't amazingly good. In general I think it's hard for removal to be "too good" or game ruining because it's hard for it to do more than trade with a creature. I'm also not quite sure why you think Skywhaler's Shot would be too good in a cube where you can Tinker for Inkwell Leviathan.

On some of your other cards, I really dislike Twin combo in cube, especially because it means it's harder to run stuff like Kiki Jiki without people thinking the combo is present. I'd fully support cutting that.

I love Restoration Angel, it might not fit with the themes but it's important to have some cards that aren't for specific decks so the drafting portion isn't totally linear. Also it's super fun to play with.

Pack Rat's power tends to scale inversely with the amount of mass removal you run, and I think you might be on the low side for it. The problem is that when it works it's not especially interesting - you just make a Pack Rat every turn until your opponent is dead or they all get removed.

I like Phantasmal Image as well, again it's difficult for it to be "too good" as its power is limited to what else is in the cube. It doesn't synergise with auras but then not everything has to.

I kind of like Nimbus Naiad but it's a markedly lower power level than these other cards. Probably worth a shot but it might not pay off.

You seem to be very conservative on your removal. In my experience, I much prefer limited play when the removal is good. Even if you don't want to play the very best removal (Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exil, Go for the Throat), I wouldn't run cards like Killing Glare or Smith the Monstrous. Skywhaler's Shot actually seems like a very good option, as it should kill the stuff you need killing even if the rate isn't amazingly good. In general I think it's hard for removal to be "too good" or game ruining because it's hard for it to do more than trade with a creature. I'm also not quite sure why you think Skywhaler's Shot would be too good in a cube where you can Tinker for Inkwell Leviathan.

On some of your other cards, I really dislike Twin combo in cube, especially because it means it's harder to run stuff like Kiki Jiki without people thinking the combo is present. I'd fully support cutting that.

I love Restoration Angel, it might not fit with the themes but it's important to have some cards that aren't for specific decks so the drafting portion isn't totally linear. Also it's super fun to play with.

Pack Rat's power tends to scale inversely with the amount of mass removal you run, and I think you might be on the low side for it. The problem is that when it works it's not especially interesting - you just make a Pack Rat every turn until your opponent is dead or they all get removed.

I like Phantasmal Image as well, again it's difficult for it to be "too good" as its power is limited to what else is in the cube. It doesn't synergize with auras but then not everything has to.

I kind of like Nimbus Naiad but it's a markedly lower power level than these other cards. Probably worth a shot but it might not pay off.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

As far as removal is concerned, I'm going to balance it around Hero's Downfall from here on out. I think it's a fairly well-balanced card. It's good, but not game-breaking. I'm taking Killing Glare and Smith the Monstrous out of the cube because they're just too much worse than Downfall. I think I want to try Reave Soul and Vanquish the Weak though, since they hit almost every creature in the cube.

I'm going to power-down my Tinker package. I like the way tinker decks play, but I think slowing them down a turn or two would improve the format. I'm thinking I'm going to replace Inkwell, Battlesphere, and Sphinx with Memnarch, Precursor Golem, and Mishra's Self-Replicator. Replicator is admittedly quite weak if it doesn't get triggered, but I think there is a high enough as-fan of historic permanents (especially in a tinker deck) to make it work. The only questionable artifact I would be running then is Combustible Gearhulk, but there are already other decks that can easily get a Gearhulk out on turn 3, so it's not egregious.

I'm taking out Twin and Pack Rat.

As for Angel and Image, I'm not too sure what I'm doing with those yet. Depends on what else I decide to cut... They might stay.

Thanks again for your comment!

Alright, so I made some balance changes:
In:

Out:
First things first, I would like to extend a thanks to Inscho, Peter Lacara, and Onderzeboot for drafting the cube and their comments and Ashton for commenting on this thread. I would like to give a special thanks to Raveborn Muse for taking the time to examine my list and give me some good advice on cuts as well as card additions. With that, I made some changes.

The number one thing I wanted to do with the iteration 2 update was balance out the power level of my cube a bit. Although I did this a bit in the first major update of this iteration, I let a ton of cards slip through the cracks. Some of them were too good, others were just bad. Luckily, with the help of the RTL community, I was able to identify most of the troublemakers and eliminate them. Here are the changes I made:

Change #1- Balancing the Top End
The First major change I made with this update was replacing the White and Artifact finishers with lower power alternatives. Even though these new cards are lower-power, I think they actually fit the roles they were met to fill better. Take Memnarch, for example. I know not a lot of people love this card, but he's pretty lit for a number of reasons. He can be a good finisher when played on turn 3 off of a tinker, without being broken. It will still win the game if left unchecked, but it's easier to answer than, say, Inkwell Leviathan. However, where a card like Inkwell really only went in Tinker shells, Memnarch is also a powerful mana-sink for G/U super ramp, as he is able to slowly take over the game by stealing the opponent's stuff.

White's finishers were boring, uninteractive, and led to the thing I was trying to avoid: feel bads. Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, for example looks great as a finisher on paper, but not when she's Genociding an army of 2/2 drakes made by Drake Haven. A card like Angel of Serenity, although not as strong, is still quite good, and works better as a finisher for white-based control decks and reanimator strategies.

Change #2- Powering Down Combo
I removed Splinter Twin and Squirrel Alarm combos. Splinter Twin was too efficient and oppressive, while it's combo-pieces were fairly lacking if they weren't in a twin deck. Squirrel Combo was fun, and I loved it to bits, but it was just hard to make work. You needed squirrel nest, intruder alarm, and an untapper just to make the combo work. Intruder alarm didn't do anything by itself, and Squirrel Nest occasionally created really drawn out games for no reason. Ultimately, I thought removing the Degenerate and Against the Odds combo decks would improve the format quite a bit, especially after seeing how they warped experienced cuber's perception of my format.

As I mentioned earlier, I left Tinker in this version of the list. My playgroup really enjoys the Tinker combo decks, they were just very degenerate before. The fact that they could usually win the game on turn 6 without interacting with the other player at all made them a bit iffy. I removed most of the best tinker targets and replaced them with less powerful alternatives. They can still win the game quickly, but they're also far easier to answer. Plus, many of these cards require additional mana to take on their full effect. Memnarch and Steel Hellkite are both cool cards, but their activated abilities aren't as useful without excess mana. I'm not sure Tinker will necessarily stay beyond iteration 2, but I think the fun factor is worth the risk.

Change #3- Pack Rat's day of Reckoning

Pack Rat was warping the format. People were drafting black specifically to play with this card. It was better than all of my other 2 drops. If your pack had a Pack Rat, you were probably picking it. This was compounded by the fact that black just ended up being the best color.

So why didn't I cut it earlier? Well, mostly due to my playgroup not playing the dang card right and it never getting to the point of degeneracy. People who actually understand how cube works have been picking the card as early as they see it, causing a huge influx in already powerful black decks. I think it's probably right to get rid of Rat now, balance out my 2-drop section, and bring back tried and true Olivia's Dragoon. Dragoon is kinda weak, but I have never been sad about putting it in a Black deck. It does its job, and that's what really matters here.

I also cut Umezawa's Jitte, Loxodon Warhammer, and Mystic Confluence for similar reasons. I replaced them with Sai of the Shinobi, Avacyn's Collar (I'm just testing it don't fight me) and Dismiss. Dismiss is doing the job I actually wanted Confluence for originally: Countering a spell and Cantripping. Plus, it does it for a mana cheaper! I like this change a lot.

Change #4- Removing (Most of) the Stinkers
So I would like to Preface this part of the discussion with this quote:
Here's the thing, dude. You have just as much of a bad card problem as you do a good card problem. Let's say we put power level on a spectrum, and say that stuff like actual power is a 10, stuff like Wurmcoil Engine and swords are a 9, and something like Chimney Imp is a 1. Most powermaxers won't look at anything below an 8, and most of their cubes are 9's. In my own cube, I shoot for somewhere around a 7, with a couple spikes up into 8 and a few 5's that can make up the difference through synergy. You've got guys here like Grillo who deliberately shoot even lower because they're trying to craft a specific environment.

In your cube, your power level ranges from like a 3 (Shipbreaker Kraken, Grim Guardian, Tiana, Ship's Caretaker) to a 9 (most of the stuff you have listed above, except for Killing Glare, which I have no idea why you'd consider that egregious). You can make a good cube at almost any power level, ranging from the Vintage cube to the Desert cube. It's not the power level of some of these cards. It's the range.

I would suggest starting from square one and thinking from the ground up about what kind of cube you want to create. Pick themes and mechanics that work together in roughly the same power band and go from there. As it stands right now, what's going to happen is people are going to pick the ultra-powerful pieces, build generic goodstuff decks, and ignore the lower end completely. Even if you shave off the top end, that is still going to be true unless you bring up the bottom end to compensate as well.
So, yeah. Peter is right. Although my cube never reached the status of True Power, it did have a number of 8s and 9s along side of 3s. What I did was remove these cards:

Many of these were cards I discussed with RBM in a PM conversation we had earlier this week. I think I did a pretty good job of cutting the "3" quality cards from the cube. Shipbreaker Kraken specifically is a card I am sad to see go (it has had some surprisingly good results as a finisher for ramp decks, it was my first intro-pack rare), but ultimately Memnarch just does its job better. Also, I know Pestermite isn't actually a "weak" card by any means, it has just been really unimpressive for us.

I decided to leave in 2 notable "weak" cards:

I left these cards in for completely different reasons. I really just want to test Tiana, Ship's Caretaker before I cut her. We haven't 8-man drafted the cube with her in it yet, and she hasn't shown up in our Winston drafts. Chances are she will be mediocre and get cut for something else, but I want to give her the benefit of the doubt before cutting her.

I just have too much nostalgia for Grim Guardian to cut him. He is a decent card in the right shell, and signals to players a type of deck they could be building. He's not good, but he is ok.

Change #5- Make Removal Decent Again
So in my last update I had tried powering-down removal. I just didn't want Path to Exile to be my best White card anymore. This was a interesting idea, but I brought the floor down way too far. Sorry, Killing Glare and Smite the Monsterous are just bad cards. They are laughable next to Cast out and Hero's Downfall. I replaced these two stinkers with Murderous Cut, a decent GY support card as well as fine removal, and Skywhaler's Shot, a fairly efficient kill spell with the upside of being able to set up the next turn's draw.

I left in Reave Soul and Vanquish the Weak because I want a chance to test them a little more before deciding on cutting them or not. They're not great removal spells, but there are enough little creatures in the cube that they can usually find a target.

So, that's about it really. I added a couple of cycling support cards to blue, replaced Daze with a less situational counter, and gave green some Planeswalker removal. Seems dece, excited to give it a shot.

Thanks,
TrainmasterGT

I think your changes look good and your cube is on the right track!

Just took a whirl and drafted this:

WB Big Recursive Enchantifacts from CubeTutor.com

This deck looks sweet! I will say, though, that while you have done a great job culling some of the bigger power level outliers on the individual card level, I was seeing certain themes going around the table that I thought were just too weak to consider. For instance, I'm fairly certain that, as a WB deck running tons of enchantment creatures, I was supposed to be drawn to the constellation cards, but, other than Doomwake Giant, I was never tempted by that synergy because there were always cards available with more than enough power level to overpower the synergistic pick. For instance, why pick Grim Guardian or Underworld Coinsmith if I can have a Restoration Angel or Sun Titan instead? Similarly, the heroic cards looked to be a trap (And I love heroic; look at my avatar! Hell, look at my cube!)

I think your changes look good and your cube is on the right track!

Just took a whirl and drafted this:

WB Big Recursive Enchantifacts from CubeTutor.com

This deck looks sweet! I will say, though, that while you have done a great job culling some of the bigger power level outliers on the individual card level, I was seeing certain themes going around the table that I thought were just too weak to consider. For instance, I'm fairly certain that, as a WB deck running tons of enchantment creatures, I was supposed to be drawn to the constellation cards, but, other than Doomwake Giant, I was never tempted by that synergy because there were always cards available with more than enough power level to overpower the synergistic pick. For instance, why pick Grim Guardian or Underworld Coinsmith if I can have a Restoration Angel or Sun Titan instead? Similarly, the heroic cards looked to be a trap (And I love heroic; look at my avatar! Hell, look at my cube!)
Nice deck!

I'm starting to think that my enchantment theme is just the weakest part of the cube overall. It's a real shame because I absolutely love enchantments and I wanted to create an environment where one could play enchantment-focused decks. I think there are ways to go about powering-up enchantments, but I'm not sure how to do it quite yet. People obviously like Doomwake Giant, so that's something to think about I suppose.

It's entirely possible to make your enchantment theme an appropriate power level for your cube...it just requires you to lower the power level of everything else!

Also worth noting that I ran 10 enchantments in that deck! So it wasn't necessarily that enchantments were underpowered, in my opinion. Just Constellation as a mechanic. I was fully on board with running out these big swingy enchantments and buying them back with Restoration Specialist, Auramancer, Open the Vaults, and the occasional Whip of Erebos activation. That's a pretty fun and exciting archetype (I've never drafted BIG ENCHANTMENTS as a deck before), and it meshes well with artifact strategies, because a lot of enchantment recursion engines work as artifact recursion engines as well.

Also worth noting that I ran 10 enchantments in that deck! So it wasn't necessarily that enchantments were underpowered, in my opinion. Just Constellation as a mechanic. I was fully on board with running out these big swingy enchantments and buying them back with Restoration Specialist, Auramancer, Open the Vaults, and the occasional Whip of Erebos activation. That's a pretty fun and exciting archetype (I've never drafted BIG ENCHANTMENTS as a deck before), and it meshes well with artifact strategies, because a lot of enchantment recursion engines work as artifact recursion engines as well.
I didn't think of it like that. Maybe the issue isn't that the payoffs aren't good enough, it's that the enablers are really weak (Thanks Wotc...). After all, over 1/4th of your deck is enchantments, and you do have quite a few ways to interact with them.

What I need to do is find a Replenish that isn't 40 bucks!

Seriously though, why is Wizards allergic to good enchantments? Are they really that afraid of another Necropotence or Yawgmoth's Bargain?