Card/Deck U/B Ninjutsu

Some cards I like to support Ninja decks:

I like Orc Sureshot and Outpost Siege because they can mess with combat math. In some scenarios you can attack with multiple creatures, Ninjutsu any unblocked ones and manage to save the blocked ones thanks to these triggers. The power level is not through the roof, especially for the Orc, but it can be a role player.

Mentor of the Meek virtually adds a cantrip to all Ninjutsu abilities, and I think that's kinda cool. I'm sure there are other effects of this type you could explore.

Whirler Rogue and Manifold Key are good a intersection with artifact themes, if you run them. Make Whirler Rogue's last ability matter, lol.

Warkite Marauder is a great card and I think more people should run it. It can shrink potential blockers, clearing the way for your Ninjas. It's effective, but doesn't feel as strong as simply slapping auras/equipments on your guys, which to me is a good spot.

Reactions: dbs
I wanted to ask how the following Ninjas have been for you:

Azra Smokeshaper - looks like a cool combat trick. my cube cares a lot about creatures and combat, so this might be pretty neat? I'm asking because I could see it also being somewhat at the wrong place in an UBx tempo deck where you want to be aggressive.

Ninja of the New Moon - at first, I thought about it being lackluster, but the more I think about it the more I like it. getting through 6 damage for 4 actually looks pretty good, especially for the aforementioned aggressive UBx decks.

Okiba-Gang Shinobi, Ninja of the Deep Hours - I really like those two, they're like the 'bread and butter' ninjas and I think every other ninja has to be evaluated with these two in mind, at least in my environment (power level).

Moonblade Shinobi - creating board presence that's evasive is actually pretty good, but maybe I'm overevaluating it?

Mistblade Shinobi - now this one is pretty difficult for me. I think Ninja of the New Moon, Okiba-Gang Shinobi, Ninja of the Deep Hours and Moonblade Shinobi are all on par powerlevel-wise. Of Azra Smokeshaper, I'm not sure if it's too narrow/weaker than the rest. At first glance, Mistblade Shinobi doesn't look like it would be a big deal, but bouncing something for U and being able to do so on each of your turns looks potentially back-breaking for a lot of decks, especially in a slower environment like mine. Is it really that strong? I do have some tappers in my cube for the UWB saboteurs/selfbounce archetype in my cube, so it's quite well-supported.

Reactions: dbs
I wanted to ask how the following Ninjas have been for you:

Azra Smokeshaper - looks like a cool combat trick. my cube cares a lot about creatures and combat, so this might be pretty neat? I'm asking because I could see it also being somewhat at the wrong place in an UBx tempo deck where you want to be aggressive.

He's fine, but a little bit narrow as he doesn't really generate value for other decks that easily. I cut him for the moment.

Ninja of the New Moon - at first, I thought about it being lackluster, but the more I think about it the more I like it. getting through 6 damage for 4 actually looks pretty good, especially for the aforementioned aggressive UBx decks.

That card is great. Dealing 6 is just a nice "saboteur trigger" and you really need no support for it beyond "black can do aggro you know", but of course he gets better and more widely appealing with some sweet Etb/Adventure guys.

Okiba-Gang Shinobi, Ninja of the Deep Hours - I really like those two, they're like the 'bread and butter' ninjas and I think every other ninja has to be evaluated with these two in mind, at least in my environment (power level).

I agree. These two are the main reason I wanted to try the archetype in the first place.

Moonblade Shinobi - creating board presence that's evasive is actually pretty good, but maybe I'm overevaluating it?

He's been playing really well. Not quite at deep hours power level, but close enough to be a worthy partner in crime. You drop 4 power with the ninjutsu, and if you can somehow get him through, he can be really tough to beat.

Mistblade Shinobi - now this one is pretty difficult for me. I think Ninja of the New Moon, Okiba-Gang Shinobi, Ninja of the Deep Hours and Moonblade Shinobi are all on par powerlevel-wise. Of Azra Smokeshaper, I'm not sure if it's too narrow/weaker than the rest. At first glance, Mistblade Shinobi doesn't look like it would be a big deal, but bouncing something for U and being able to do so on each of your turns looks potentially back-breaking for a lot of decks, especially in a slower environment like mine. Is it really that strong? I do have some tappers in my cube for the UWB saboteurs/selfbounce archetype in my cube, so it's quite well-supported.

I like Shinobi and I'm not going to cut it, but it has been relatively tame usually. It is not easy to get a 1/1 without evasion to connect in my experience, unless you run some (imo usually too narrow) "target creature can't be blocked this turn" effects. The problem is: If they have a creature, that you'd like to bounce, it will usually be able to block a 1/1.

What I like best about him is the cheap Ninjutsu cost. You can take back your Faerie Seer turn two, bounce their 1- or 2-drop and play the seer again to scry again. And later, if you bounce bigger stuff, it keeps enough mana free to replay it as well, where Okiba-Gang would already occupy 4 of your mana.